Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

22 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

No, I was just stating that players can get better and players can fall off. It was meant to go with my statement about physical traits. Fields has some really impressive physical traits, size, arm strength, speed, power, and elusivness. He will get a longer leash because of that. Players with greater physical traits and 1st round acumen always get a longer leash and more opportunities, not just in football but in every sport.

He gets a leash because he was a first round pick. I don't understand where you find him impressive in any way, shape or form, though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On and off I talked about Hunt.  Now that they have Kingsbury and Lynn, expecting an outside zone scheme.  I posted some of this in the draft thread but it works better here.

There’s no way to pretend we didn’t see the athleticism Robert Hunt put on display last season.

In one play during a Week 10 nationally televised 22-10 win over the Baltimore Ravens the 6-foot-6, 330-pounder caught the everyone’s attention when he grabbed a screen pass and rumbled downfield before acrobatically diving into the end zone for what would have been a 7-yard touchdown reception — if he had been an eligible receiver.

While the play resulted in a penalty, the nation couldn’t stop talking — or tweeting — about the dazzling display of athleticism from the Dolphins big man, who went viral on social media.

It was that exact athleticism, the fancy footwork and cat-like quickness of a 330-plus pounder, that made the Dolphins select the Louisiana Lafayette standout in the second round of the 2020 NFL draft, and eventually made him a rookie starter.

Fast forward to his third season, and Miami’s new coaches are hopeful that Hunt’s athleticism will allow him to thrive in the wide-zone running scheme they are installing, which puts a premium on athletic offensive linemen.

“I’m pretty athletic man. I don’t want to boost myself up too much, but I’m pretty athletic,” Hunt said Wednesday, at the conclusion of the Dolphins fourth week of their offseason workout program. “I can do any scheme. I can do power, outside zone, inside zone. Whatever you need me to do.”

According to Hunt, that could mean playing right guard, the spot he started 17 games at last season, or right tackle, the spot he started 11 games at in 2020.

From his standpoint, he’s working and learning how to play both positions because nothing has been decided yet regarding the starting five, and where everyone fits in. 

...But it’s clear that Hunt’s experience, athleticism, and the fact he was the top performer on last year’s struggling Dolphins offensive line, puts him on solid footing for a prominent role.

It doesn’t hurt that this organization believes in Hunt’s upside, and plans to invest in his future because of all the intangibles he brings to the team.

That’s part of the reason the Dolphins targeted him in that 2020 draft, selecting him 39th overall, ahead of NFL standouts like Colts tailback Jonathan Taylor, Steelers receiver Chase Claypool and Cowboys cornerback Trevon Diggs.

Assistant general manager Marvin Allen told the Dolphins Drive Time podcast earlier this spring that Hunt was a player Miami’s scouting staff targeted because of his personality, and physical traits.

“I fell in love with the person. A guy this big, and that athletic. Everybody sees it,” Allen said. “He was so dominant, and he was that athletic. People got a chance to see a glimpse of the athleticism on the touchdown that wasn’t. It shows his athleticism and power. He’s just a great person. We can build with guys like that.”

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/2022/04/27/omar-kelly-robert-hunt-looks-to-build-on-impressive-second-season-and-thrive-in-dolphins-new-blocking-scheme/

• Like 1

Hunt and Cosmi gives you pillars at G. I'd hope they work to solidify one of the T's or C in FA as well prior to the draft.

I still look at LG and wonder if their plan will be to use Wylie or Gates...it still seems one of these gems will still be on the roster. If you want to just clean the filth of the last regime, I'd cut the both of them. Hunt would be a tremendous move in the right direction to putting their new stamp on the OL

Use a 2nd rounder to bring in a T or C.

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

I think we go TE in FA as well. We should be cutting Thomas and we have basically nothing behind him. There are some solid vets that will be available and shouldn't cost too much.

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Hunt and Cosmi gives you pillars at G. I'd hope they work to solidify one of the T's or C in FA as well prior to the draft.

I still look at LG and wonder if their plan will be to use Wylie or Gates...it still seems one of these gems will still be on the roster. If you want to just clean the filth of the last regime, I'd cut the both of them. Hunt would be a tremendous move in the right direction to putting their new stamp on the OL

My dream scenario is T and C in the 2nd. But I also think C gets addressed in FA.

Just now, MrJL said:

we have to give Stromberg a shot.  Third round pick, best center in the SEC, there is no reason to just ignore him

Typically new regimes don't put much emphasis on previous regime's projects. He'll be given a shot of course but we shouldn't bank on him being anything and whatever we get out of him is a bonus.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Although there are some tantalizing interior options in FA and Day 2 of the draft, given resource constraints, I am currently thinking Wylie at LG for 2024 and taking a guy in Day 3 who could step in in 2025 to start. Wylie’s net cap hit is $2M with keeping him vs cutting him (as a pre June 1 cut). 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Typically new regimes don't put much emphasis on previous regime's projects. He'll be given a shot of course but we shouldn't bank on him being anything and whatever we get out of him is a bonus.

you expect them to cut Martin?  A third rounder who would most likely play his college position is not a project.  Daniels, a 4th who may not have the build to play his college position is closer to a project

52 minutes ago, MrJL said:

you expect them to cut Martin?  A third rounder who would most likely play his college position is not a project.  Daniels, a 4th who may not have the build to play his college position is closer to a project

Martin was a 2nd rounder who played legitimate snaps and showed some good tape. He's not really in project status anymore, I think you look at him as someone expected to contribute.

Stromberg was a 3rd rounder who didn't play on an OL that struggled all year. I like Strom too, was a fan of the pick when it happened, but I'm not saying you should bank on getting anything out of him. Let him compete with whomever we draft and/or bring in FA. Best case you have really good depth and maybe you can move guys around.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Martin was a 2nd rounder who played legitimate snaps and showed some good tape. He's not really in project status anymore, I think you look at him as someone expected to contribute.

Stromberg was a 3rd rounder who didn't play on an OL that struggled all year. I like Strom too, was a fan of the pick when it happened, but I'm not saying you should bank on getting anything out of him. Let him compete with whomever we draft and/or bring in FA. Best case you have really good depth and maybe you can move guys around.

he was our second string guard. over Paul or Larsen at least

Jaylon Wright inevitable to be here?

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/coming-of-age-jordyn-brooks-emerging-as-playmaker-for-surging-seahawks-defense

Coming of Age, Jordyn Brooks Emerging as Playmaker for Surging Seahawks Defense

Though the first-round pick out of Texas Tech got off to a slow start, Brooks has gradually improved as the season has progressed and coming off his best game thus far, the rookie linebacker looks poised to be a difference maker down the stretch for Seattle.

Trying to conduct business virtually amid a pandemic complicated matters, but even after using two draft picks on linebackers one year earlier and both Bobby Wagner and K.J. Wright still in town, the Seahawks were more than happy to use their native pick on Brooks. In the ensuing months since, coach Pete Carroll, Schneider, defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr., and a host of teammates have constantly raved about the former Red Raider's athletic traits and football instincts.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2022/10/11/23398354/seattle-seahawks-miss-ken-norton-jr-jordyn-brooks-cody-barton-bobby-wagner-kj-wright-khalil-mack

The Seahawks miss Ken Norton Jr.

By John Gilbert@JohnPGilbertNFL  Oct 11, 2022, 9:00am PDT  

When the curtain came down on the 2021 season for the Seattle Seahawks, many fans were convinced that one of the biggest issues facing the team was defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. The man who had been in charge of a defense that finished 11th in the NFL in points allowed, but whose defense had been dinked and dunked all the way down the field so many times that time of possession was ridiculously lopsided.

The ranking of 11th in points allowed was tied for the highest of any KNJ-coordinated defense during his seven seasons as a defensive coordinator for the Hawks and the then Oakland but now Las Vegas Raiders. There was no shortage of rejoicing when it was announced in January that Seattle and KNJ would be going separate ways for the 2022 season, and while the 2022 season is just five games young, Seattle fans would love for the team to be anywhere near 11th in points allowed per game. Instead, the 2022 iteration of the Seahawks bend but don’t break defense has broken quite a lot in recent weeks and is currently next to last in the league for points allowed.

So, what’s the deal? What’s going on with the defense and why can’t it stop anyone?

Injuries and inexperience have combined to create a secondary that is an adventure at times, to say the least. The veterans signed in free agency to play cornerback, Sidney Jones, Artie Burns and Justin Coleman, have logged just 101 defensive snaps between them with Coleman accounting for more than half of those snaps. That opened the door for Tariq Woolen, Coby Bryant and Mike Jackson to lay claim to the starting roles, and while those three have provided a spark and generated some big plays, with Jackson and Woolen each having scored a touchdown already on the young season.

Meanwhile, while the youth in the cornerback room has been flashing their potential and developing as one would hope, the front seven has been an entirely different story. The veteran defensive line was expected by many to be the leaders of the group, and to continue the strong performance they showed against opponents on the ground in 2021. Instead, exactly the opposite has happened. The defensive line has been blasted off the ball regularly, which has led to subpar performances from the linebackers, a group that is absolutely brimming with youth and talent, but which has so far failed to deliver on that potential in 2022.

... Which brings about the question why are the linebackers struggling, and the simple answer may be that the youth and potential may not be getting the coaching needed to reach its ceiling. The development of Jordyn Brooks, Cody Barton and Darrell Taylor had, at least to some extent, been under the watchful eye of KNJ, who may not be cut out for being a defensive coordinator, but who has a proven track record of success in developing linebackers.

Whether it’s Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright, Malcolm Smith, Khalil Mack or any of the other linebackers he helped develop, there is zero questioning Norton’s ability to develop talent at the linebacker position. And his absence seems like a ready answer for the reason why Brooks may be unperforming relative to prior seasons, while Taylor seems to have fallen off the map. After a 6.5 sack season in 2021, expectations were through the roof for Taylor, who is currently sitting at just a single sack heading into Week 6. Add in that Taylor was benched for Darryl Johnson heading in to Week 4 before an injury gave the starting role back to Taylor, and the amount of optimism for the next 12 games has certainly dipped when it comes to discussing Taylor.

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Curiously, how can you make such a definitive judgement about a guy going into his 2nd year? I assume you've accounted for what he learned in year one, how he'll be coached, what he'll do in the weight room? For all we know Stromberg could end up being a pro-bowler....there is a rookie/2nd year learining curve still right?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd kill for a vet like Wagner in the middle to teach Davis and whoever we draft this year. With Norton here, we'd be strong at LBer for years.

Yeah I wouldn't rule it out even at his age, if he can be had cheap.

One thing Sheehan said who has a good pipeline to ownership.  The feeling in the building is they can win fast.  I've seen some posts here about 3 year rebuilds and 5 years, etc, but apparently that's not what the thoughts are in that building.

We had the #3 ranked defense 2 seasons ago.  The only difference with this defense and that one is no Montez Sweat.  You can get your Montez Sweat type back in FA.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Didn’t the Vikings agree to an arrangement last season with Hunter that they wouldn’t tag him?

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I wouldn't rule it out even at his age, if he can be had cheap.

One thing Sheehan said who has a good pipeline to ownership.  The feeling in the building is they can win fast.  I've seen some posts here about 3 year rebuilds and 5 years, etc, but apparently that's not what the thoughts are in that building.

We had the #3 ranked defense 2 seasons ago.  The only difference with this defense and that one is no Montez Sweat.  You can get your Montez Sweat type back in FA.

Unless Macdonald doesn’t want him back, I doubt Wagner is leaving Seattle. He signed a $7M AAV deal off a very strong year with the Rams. I think both sides agree him leaving for that year in LA was a mistake

Wow, just went through the top FA list again. I didn't realize just how much the Bucs have their hands full...I'll say lets ease their burden and take WInfield! 

To a lesser degree the Pats and Dolphins are also in trouble.

25 minutes ago, method man said:

Unless Macdonald doesn’t want him back, I doubt Wagner is leaving Seattle. He signed a $7M AAV deal off a very strong year with the Rams. I think both sides agree him leaving for that year in LA was a mistake

Yeah if they are looking for that elder statesman one year teaching year, I see them looking at Stephon Gilmore

Edited by DWinzit

13 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Curiously, how can you make such a definitive judgement about a guy going into his 2nd year? I assume you've accounted for what he learned in year one, how he'll be coached, what he'll do in the weight room? For all we know Stromberg could end up being a pro-bowler....there is a rookie/2nd year learining curve still right?

Last year we penciled in Chris Paul and Shadiq Charles and they both bombed. We cant make that same mistake again. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Wow, just went through the top FA list again. I didn't realize just how much the Bucs have their hands full...I'll say lets ease their burden and take WInfield! 

To a lesser degree the Pats and Dolphins are also in trouble.

Yeah if they are looking for that elder statesman one year teaching year, I see them looking at Stephon Gilmore

If they aren’t franchising Evans, I fully expect them to franchise Winfield.

You are right. Gilmore could make sense. I think a lot of it depends on how they view BSJ. Do they seem him as a building block or as a one year useful piece? My guess is the latter

44 minutes ago, method man said:

Michael Shawn-Dugar of The Athletic notes that Brooks wants to re-sign with the Seahawks (subscription required). He adds that the Texas Tech product is a key free agent priority for Seattle and is the likeliest of the LB trio to be retained. Brooks has been a mainstay on defense since becoming a starter, and he led the NFL in solo tackles in 2021. An ACL tear ended his 2022 campaign, but he managed to recover in time for the start of this past season.

Brooks’ play saw an uptick with the return of Wagner following his one-and-done Rams campaign. The latter’s Seattle departure, Shawn-Dugar notes, was driven more by general manager John Schneider than head coach Pete Carroll. With Carroll having shifted to an advisory role, Schneider now has full roster control. Shawn-Dugar thus describes another deal with Wagner as “unlikely.”

The 33-year-old added to his considerable accolades in 2023, earning second-team All-Pro honors and receiving a Pro Bowl invite. He is committed to playing next season, but the Seahawks have a number of decisions to make at the LB position among others. A new deal for defensive lineman Leonard Williams could soon be on the table, and Seattle will be looking to improve its front seven after continuing to struggle against the run.

Wagner led the league in tackles last season, so he would likely be a productive contributor for the Seahawks or another interested team. Seattle is currently slated to be $5.2MM over the cap, though, and teams rarely make lucrative commitments to more than one inside linebacker at a time. If Brooks is indeed seen as a higher priority, then, Wagner could once again find himself on the move in free agency.

Screen Shot 2024-02-19 at 8.01.07 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Michael Shawn-Dugar of The Athletic notes that Brooks wants to re-sign with the Seahawks (subscription required). He adds that the Texas Tech product is a key free agent priority for Seattle and is the likeliest of the LB trio to be retained. Brooks has been a mainstay on defense since becoming a starter, and he led the NFL in solo tackles in 2021. An ACL tear ended his 2022 campaign, but he managed to recover in time for the start of this past season.

Brooks’ play saw an uptick with the return of Wagner following his one-and-done Rams campaign. The latter’s Seattle departure, Shawn-Dugar notes, was driven more by general manager John Schneider than head coach Pete Carroll. With Carroll having shifted to an advisory role, Schneider now has full roster control. Shawn-Dugar thus describes another deal with Wagner as “unlikely.”

The 33-year-old added to his considerable accolades in 2023, earning second-team All-Pro honors and receiving a Pro Bowl invite. He is committed to playing next season, but the Seahawks have a number of decisions to make at the LB position among others. A new deal for defensive lineman Leonard Williams could soon be on the table, and Seattle will be looking to improve its front seven after continuing to struggle against the run.

Wagner led the league in tackles last season, so he would likely be a productive contributor for the Seahawks or another interested team. Seattle is currently slated to be $5.2MM over the cap, though, and teams rarely make lucrative commitments to more than one inside linebacker at a time. If Brooks is indeed seen as a higher priority, then, Wagner could once again find himself on the move in free agency.

Screen Shot 2024-02-19 at 8.01.07 AM.png

Wow this is huge. Immediately becomes my #1 LB target. I think he was flirting with the Cowboys a couple years ago so you know the love is there for Quinn too

Perfect elder statesman to have and he clearly takes the mantle as the leader of the D from Allen (whose skills as a leader I doubt)

Edited by method man
  • Like 3