Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Also from Keim they probably want Roullier back but likely would want him to take a paycut

Barton would be the Mike LB in 3 LB sets.   Davis the will.  Looking for the Sam LB.

I think Brissett is the top desire -- Keim mentions him 2nd but then corrects himself and said he shoud have said him first. 

Masko and Bieiniemy working together discovered philsophical differences -- that's why they decided to move on from Masko.

A guy who struggles playing downhill and taking on blocks like Barton at Will? ewww

Hopefully they wake up and get a Wagner or David to man the MIKE and let Barton be the third linebacker off the bench to play the WILL, which he is better suited for as a finesse linebacker

• Like 3

1 minute ago, method man said:

A guy who struggles playing downhill and taking on blocks like Barton at Will? ewww

Hopefully they wake up and get a Wagner or David to man the MIKE and let Barton be the third linebacker off the bench to play the WILL, which he is better suited for as a finesse linebacker

They use 2 LBs-1LB sets so much that I almost didn't mention Keim's take on 3 LBs sets.  

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

you don’t say.

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

They use 2 LBs-1LB sets so much that I almost didn't mention Keim's take on 3 LBs sets.  

I think they were forced to use the 1 LB sets when Holcomb got hurt but 2 is optimal for them. Barton has the profile of a part time player. Clear upgrade over Bostic and Mayo but doesn't seem to be a legit every down starter

2 minutes ago, method man said:

I think they were forced to use the 1 LB sets when Holcomb got hurt but 2 is optimal for them. Barton has the profile of a part time player. Clear upgrade over Bostic and Mayo but doesn't seem to be a legit every down starter

Del Rio, Rivera played LB of course, so I'd hope they understand the spot.  Rivera had good LBs in Carolina.  Here its been so so -- not as good clearly. 

I know they supposedly are going to add a LB in the draft too so I gather they want depth. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Del Rio, Rivera played LB I'd hope they understand the spot.  Rivera had good LBs in Carolina.  Here its been OK not as good clearly. 

I know they supposedly are going to add a LB in the draft too so I gather they want depth. 

You would think so. I don't know why they are not looking at SF and Dallas and seeing that great linebacker play is what could put this defense over the top. I've said this a few times but if you get Wagner or David, that is the missing piece that gives you a chance at being the best D in the NFL next year

1 minute ago, method man said:

You would think so. I don't know why they are not looking at SF and Dallas and seeing that great linebacker play is what could put this defense over the top. I've said this a few times but if you get Wagner or David, that is the missing piece that gives you a chance at being the best D in the NFL next year

They did shoot for a first round LB, not too many teams take LBs that strong so that was a big swing.  Jamin was probably overdrafted but I'll give him that LB can be a slown burn spot for some LBS to evolve, especially inexperienced ones like him.  

Jack Campbell seems perfect.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They did shoot for a first round LB, not too many teams take LBs that strong so that was a big swing.  Jamin was probably overdrafted but I'll give him that LB can be a slown burn spot for some LBS to evolve, especially inexperienced ones like him.  

Jack Campbell seems perfect.  

As you mention, LB is a slown burn spot - Campbell looks NFL ready but you never know. I'd rather solve the starter needs thru FA and draft guys in Day 3 to grow behind the starters for a season or two

On Keim's podcast, I just finished listening to Logan Paulsen right now, he watched Cody Barton.  And nope he doesn't pump every signing, for example he was not hot about the Wentz trade. 

I only watched one of his college games, so I got a long way to go to dissect him.  But I respect Logan, he puts in study time.  In an interview Logan says he watches a ton of film everyday.

A.  High upside.  He gets the method in the madness in the signing.

B.  Started slowly last year as his first year as a starter but then really came on as the season progressed

C.  He is instinctive in the run game which he doesn't feel is the case at times with Holcomb and Jamin

D.  Physical, good going downhill attacking the line of scrimmage

E.  OK in coverage, doesn't love him on the front but OK. 

F.  Called plays at times for Seattle.  Wore the green dot.

G. Keim mentioned him playing Mike, Jamin Will and if Holcomb is back playing Strong.  Logan liked that.  He likes that combo of LBs in the rare times they'd play three if Holcomb is back

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, method man said:

As you mention, LB is a slown burn spot - Campbell looks NFL ready but you never know. I'd rather solve the starter needs thru FA and draft guys in Day 3 to grow behind the starters for a season or two

Really?  Listen to his nickname on the tape below, "Captain Jack" and he was an All-American plus the Dick Butkus Award Winner for best LB in the Country!  I implore you to watch his film and then say that:

jack campbell highlights 2022 - Google Search

Edited by RWJ

20 minutes ago, method man said:

Jamin played one year at LB in college.    You can tell, we talked about it plenty on the draft thread at the time that Jamin's play recognition skills were a work in progress. 

Jack played 2.5 seasons in college and his play recognition skills are off the charts IMO.

Actually listening to Logan Paulsen it got me a bit more jazzed about this signing.  Not that i was down on it, but I knew nothing about Barton.

His stats are not bad.  136 tackles, 2 picks, 2 sacks.  His PFF scores are decent. 

Paulsen was the 2nd person to talk about how he came on later in the season.  Considering that's his first season as a starter, that's a good sign.

But I just checked PFF's scores to verify that.  And PFF backs that big time. 

I know with some Del Rio-Rivera being LBs was used against them because of Jamin's bad rookie season.   That they should know better, etc.  But now Jamin is evolving.  And maybe in this case they knew what they were doing?  Will see.

Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 10.10.39 PM.png

I just relistened to Logan Paulsen on Cody Barton, he's got me jazzed.    As I posted in the draft thread, Barton looked really dynamic in the one college game I found. 

I know he's not one of the bigger names on the market but count me an optimist for now on this signing.  They might have found a below the radar player who ends up a sexier signing than it seems now.

They majored in those type of signings in Rivera's first year, some more well known than others but none felt too exciting at time:  Logan Thomas, McKissic, Darby, Schweitzer, Leno, Pierre Lewis.  But some did hit.

https://www.theburgundyandgoldreport.com/post/taking-a-closer-look-at-linebacker-cody-barton-washington-commander

Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 10.17.33 PM.png

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On Keim's podcast, I just finished listening to Logan Paulsen right now, he watched Cody Barton.  And nope he doesn't pump every signing, for example he was not hot about the Wentz trade. 

I only watched one of his college games, so I got a long way to go to dissect him.  But I respect Logan, he puts in study time.  In an interview Logan says he watches a ton of film everyday.

A.  High upside.  He gets the method in the madness in the signing.

B.  Started slowly last year as his first year as a starter but then really came on as the season progressed

C.  He is instinctive in the run game which he doesn't feel is the case at times with Holcomb and Jamin

D.  Physical, good going downhill attacking the line of scrimmage

E.  OK in coverage, doesn't love him on the front but OK. 

F.  Called plays at times for Seattle.  Wore the green dot.

G. Keim mentioned him playing Mike, Jamin Will and if Holcomb is back playing Strong.  Logan liked that.  He likes that combo of LBs in the rare times they'd play three if Holcomb is back

Watch Barton in this coverage.  Unreal!  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

57 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

Not really. Having a vet can help teach a lot can help a young QB. 

Just like John Friesz, Danny Wuerffel, Shane Matthew's, Rex Grossman, Case Keenum mentored so many great qbs in Washington? 

Many times when somebody has a lot of experience, what they really have is the same experience repeated over and over again. Sometimes bad experience is worse than no experience. 🤭

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Watch Barton in this coverage.  Unreal!  

Thanks. Yeah I saw that.

I'll try to find more games to watch.

Paulsen was interesting because he was OK with him in coverage but not blown away but liked him more going down hill and stopping the run game.  And was high on him in general.

Sounds odd of course for a safety converting to LB to play up the down hill component to his game versus coverage.  But I'll give him that PFF on a bunch of games graded him higher against the run than the pass.

For his tackling grade he had 11 games from PFF with a 70 or above score, more of those games were 80 plus rated than in the 70s.  That's really good.

In contrast, Holcomb the previous last full season has 4 games of 70 plus tackling scores from PFF.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I hate saying this for several reasons but, if RR is serious about Howell winning the job how can you not look at what it would cost to sign Baker Mayfield? He's a former #1 overall pick and is still only 27 years old....could EB coach him up along with Howell? If Baker would take a prove it deal I'd be very curious how it plays out. 

The only question would be is if he would be a good backup, help Howell, and be a guy who wouldn’t be a distraction.  

Howell and Baker Baker the Touchdown Maker are actually pretty similar. So from that perspective, it would be a good fit.  They both have good arms, some mobility.  If I’m not mistaken, Howell was compared to Baker during the draft process.

They are both 6-1, about 215 LBs.

Hell, they are so similar, they also both have basically the same beard:

image.thumb.jpeg.4ed524fd49c799fb09cde9803a494476.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.55812a8a65626a4c48b578f40e902015.jpeg

So from that perspective it would make a lot of sense. It’s always good to have a backup with the same skills as the starter so you don’t have to change scheme one quarterback to the next.  

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jamin played one year at LB in college.    You can tell, we talked about it plenty on the draft thread at the time that Jamin's play recognition skills were a work in progress. 

Jack played 2.5 seasons in college and his play recognition skills are off the charts IMO.

Actually listening to Logan Paulsen it got me a bit more jazzed about this signing.  Not that i was down on it, but I knew nothing about Barton.

His stats are not bad.  136 tackles, 2 picks, 2 sacks.  His PFF scores are decent. 

Paulsen was the 2nd person to talk about how he came on later in the season.  Considering that's his first season as a starter, that's a good sign.

But I just checked PFF's scores to verify that.  And PFF backs that big time. 

I know with some Del Rio-Rivera being LBs was used against them because of Jamin's bad rookie season.   That they should know better, etc.  But now Jamin is evolving.  And maybe in this case they knew what they were doing?  Will see.

Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 10.10.39 PM.png

The counterfactual with Barton is that he was a 3rd round pick by the Seahawks in 2019. Isn't it fishy to you that it took until the second half of his 4th year to put it together? As much as we hope that second half was a true breakout for him, it could also be a mirage. 

Again, happy we signed him if they are thinking of him as the third linebacker as he is a huge upgrade over Mayo, Bostic, Eifler, etc. but I am hoping they are not betting on him as the second guy. Play it safe there and sign one of the two legends left in FA as both guys not only give you a stud at all three levels but also a leader for the defense. They have the room and don't need to fork over a ton of guaranteed money

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1