Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Airspace incursions

Bang

Pfft just hire some old air show biplane pilot n some wing walkers to go up there and pop the balloons with like a dart or harpoon gun.

Or contract some parachutists to drop a big weighted net onto these things n force em back down to the surface. 

You're telling me we don't have anybody on the payroll over there at the Pentagon that can come up with a better idea than..... "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh we could shoot it down with a missile"? 🙅

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

It’s 6-12 feet wide and you’re flying fast and it’s moving slow. 

I think sidewinders are proximity based so you just need to get close. 

I'm trying to follow this logic, so they have guns so they can hit faster moving targets like other jets, but can't hit something moving slow like a moving target on the ground they would strafe?

3 hours ago, China said:

Right, because missiles never come down, including the one they shot that missed.

Don't missiles have self-destructs built into them?

I have no idea, just spitballing because it would seem dangerous to launch a rocket over a country with no plans on what to do if it misses, low population or not.

Edited by NickyJ

Just now, NickyJ said:

Don't missiles have self-destructs built into them?

I have no idea, just spitballing because it would seem dangerous to launch a rocket with plans on what to do if it misses.

The reporting I read said that the missile fell "harmlessly" into one of the Great Lakes.  I would assume bullets could do the same.

4 hours ago, China said:

I'm trying to follow this logic, so they have guns so they can hit faster moving targets like other jets, but can't hit something moving slow like a moving target on the ground they would strafe?

They have guns so that they can fire 1,000 bullets, and 3-4 of them will hit a target that's 60 feet across, that's 1,000 feet away or so, that's moving almost the same speed and direction that you are. 

Change the target to something that's 10 feet across, and moving past you at 600 MPH. 

Not saying it's impossible. I'm certain the guys in those suits know a lot more about it than I do. Just saying I'm not willing to sit at my keyboard and say it's obvious that anybody could do it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, China said:

Idk I’m the one that asked if anyone else was surprised we didn’t have a better option other than to shoot it and got yelled at 

I’m guessing they chose the sidewinder and not the canon because it gave them the best chance to hit it. 

im sure they didn’t rock paper scissors it 🤷‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

im sure they didn’t rock paper scissors it 🤷‍♂️ 

Really?

Anyway, I’m surprised that day two into this debate no one has bothered to google it…. 

https://news.yahoo.com/why-u-used-missiles-not-125447249.html

The military and Biden administration got some blowback for using $400,000 Sidewinders to take down four balloons, three of which are likely "benign" objects. But "the military's ability to respond to balloons and similar craft is constrained by physics and the capabilities of current weapons," The Washington Post reports, and you can't really pop a giant balloon with gunfire at 40,000 feet.

"You can fill a balloon full of bullet holes, and it's going to stay at altitude," David Deptula, a retired Air Force lieutenant general and fighter pilot, tells the Post. The air pressure that high up doesn't allow helium to freely escape through small holes, even if fighter jets flying by at hundreds of miles per hour can riddle the near-stationary balloon with bullets.

Canada figured that out the hard way in 1998, when it tried to bring down a giant runaway weather balloon launched from Saskatchewan to measure ozone levels, CBC News recalled right after the Chinese spy balloon incident. "Canadian CF-18 fighter jet pilots caught up with the balloon off the coast of Newfoundland and took aim, firing more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition at it. But the balloon survived the assault, soldiering on over the North Atlantic," floating above British, Norwegian, and Russian airspace before finally crashing in Finland.

clearly we need to budget a billion dollars into paying our defense contractors to develope more cost effective ways of downing balloons… also #firstworldproblems

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Thanks 1

Pilots Advised Of Large White High-Altitude Balloon East Of Hawaii (Updated)

According to multiple reports, the FAA notified pilots of a sighting of a large white balloon at between 40,000 and 50,000 feet roughly 600 miles east of the Hawaiian Islands. Subsequent ACARS (Aircraft Communications, Addressing and Reporting System) messages show aircraft in the area — which is normally quite busy as it sits on the route from the U.S. west coast to Hawaii — acknowledging the alert, which includes a request to report back if they spot any such object.

It's unclear when the initial report of the balloon was made to FAA, but alerts about it appear to have been going out to pilots since at least 7:46 A.M. local time in Hawaii, or nearly 10 hours ago.

The War Zone has reached out to U.S. Indo-Pacific Command (INDOPACOM) to see if they are tracking the object or have scrambled fighter aircraft to inspect it. We have also reached out to the FAA to authenticate that there was indeed a balloon spotted as the ACARS messages to pilots refer to and to get more on the status of the balloon if that is indeed the case. We will let you know what we hear as soon as we get a response.

Click on the link for the full article

The camera score so far according to the experts in this thread:

$200-$400 cell phone: 1

$200+ million piece of state of the art technology: 0

Maybe the military should invest in mounting cell phones on their planes to take pretty pictures.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I suppose the most cost effective way to take out the high altitude balloons is probably another balloon with offensive weaponry.  Smaller, purpose built missiles might be best.

A Good Balloon with a gun?  

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Not shooting them down isn't much fun. Our playstation trained pilots deserve to see some live combat action dammit

Hey man I’m all for that 

it’s the bull**** overhead that comes with it that’s obnoxious

imagine like 3 weeks ago we all decided as one “we’re gonna start shooting down balloons whenever we find one”

im all for that. That sounds fun and very America **** yeah-ish.

I’d love to see a presidential debate about how many balloons one guy show down, vs how many more the other guy would shoot down. 

That’s not what we got though. 

• Thumb up 1