Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Airspace incursions

Bang

Like i said, 'incompetence' is good cover.
People always tend to take the superiority route, and any chance to prove to themselves that they are indeed smarter than whatever entity is in the news will be exploited.

Stupid military!

~Bang

15 hours ago, Bang said:

🤣🤣🤣

~Dang

Besides, it could actually be that this has exposed a weakness, maybe we were not aware of very small high altitude drone activity, maybe China used something that did manage to penetrate all the way to lake Huron. Maybe that balloon launched them? I don't know, just spit-balling.

If so, the last thing the military ought to do is let the chaos agents in our congress know it.

~Bang

We weren't.  The UFO community has been trying for a while to get the government to recalibrate their sensors to catch more stuff.

But on a different topic, you spend billions of dollars, how hard would it be to equip these jets with at least the minimum photographic equipment?  I mean, yes, these are aircraft designed for combat, not photography, but I find it hard to believe there's never a need for it or the technology to achieve it.  We've got our pilots going up there looking for visual confirmation and just having to relay what they could make out to the naked eye.  And it's been established how frequent they see something they need to investigate.

Edited by justice98

I can't say for sure, but one possible reason is the need for space. They are streamlined as much as possible and have to carry a LOT of electronic equipment. Radar arrays, ECM, avionics equipment jammed up in the nose, and if it has a cannon it and all it's ammunition is there as well ..and all of it has to fit within the structural ribbing and maintain aerodynamics. ..   it may just be a matter of space and / or system resources. 
Photos from that angle aren't really a priority.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Thumb up 1

She goes on in her thread about this that it's not just an airplane contrail, even though it is backlit and they look can like that. She swears it's falling down.
But no video.
What did she use for those photos? 
Instamatic - Wikipedia
Get them back from the local Fotomat in downtown Butte?

~Bang

Recall, LONG ago, reading a poem.  

I shot a missile into the air.  

It fell to Earth, I know not where.  

Until the next day when, profound, 

the man it fell on came around. 

In less time than it takes to tell, 

he showed me where that missile fell. 

And now I do not greatly care

to shoot more missiles in the air.  

Seems like the most important part of that article would be this

Pico balloons are typically about 3 ft. in diameter on the ground before they are launched. As they ascend to altitudes of 20,000-50,000 ft., the super-pressure balloon envelope expands by about 2-3 times in size and achieves neutral buoyancy, allowing them to float at a roughly consistent altitude. Wind currents then push them through the atmosphere, with some balloons capable of circling the world several times before they pop or fall. 

The balloon owners keep track of them through HF and VHF/UHF radio links. A small GPS tracking device is attached to the balloon by a tether. The balloon broadcasts its position using the WSPR protocol on HF and the ASPR standard for line-of-sight on VHF/UHF. Most pico balloons lack the lifting power to carry batteries, so the tracking coordinates usually are broadcast in daylight hours, with tiny attached solar arrays sending power to the transmitter.

totally makes sense. And is also hilarious if true 

Kind of surprised we can shoot them down. Or detect them. 

I'm assuming they're the same temperature as the air. So assume very little IR signature. And also assuming very little radar reflectivity. 

But then, that's a lot of assuming, too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Larry said:

I'm assuming they're the same temperature as the air. So assume very little IR signature. And also assuming very little radar reflectivity. 

This is one area you would think I would have something valuable to offer....but alas, I do not.

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Maybe we picked up because it was transmitting…. However, hobbyists launch these kinds of balloons all the time…..

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

This feels like it's a Tide Pod moment, except we shoot them down instead of eat them.

I can't wait for the Wikipedia page where all this gets summarized with a snappy title. What's a good equivalent to Satanic Panic for balloons?

Tide Pods.gif

Edited by NickyJ

U.S. Calls Off Search for Unidentified Objects It Shot Down

The United States has called off the search for two of the unidentified flying objects that the military shot out of the sky this month, raising the possibility that the devices will never be collected and analyzed, a U.S. official said Friday.

The floating craft above North America have become a source of intrigue since an American missile took down a Chinese spy balloon on Feb. 4. But President Biden said this week that the three objects shot down since then were most likely research balloons, not spy craft.

American authorities had been trying to reach remote areas of Alaska and Lake Huron for two of the objects, but on Friday a U.S. official said the conditions made it too difficult to pinpoint the objects. The Canadian search for the third object over the Yukon was still ongoing, the official said.

Click on the link for the full article