Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

GOP opens long-promised investigation into Biden family

House Republicans on Wednesday opened their long-promised investigation into President Joe Biden and his family, wielding the power of their new majority to demand information from the Treasury Department and former Twitter executives as they laid the groundwork for public hearings.

“Now that Democrats no longer have one-party rule in Washington, oversight and accountability are coming,” Rep. James Comer, chairman of the House Oversight Committee, said in a statement.

The Republican-led committee sent a series of letters requesting financial information from the Treasury Department about financial transactions by members of the Biden family that were flagged as suspicious activity. Those reports are routine, with larger financial transactions automatically flagged to the government, and are not evidence on their own of misconduct.

Lawmakers also requested testimony from multiple former Twitter executives who were involved in the company’s handling of an October 2020 story from the New York Post about Hunter Biden, the president’s younger son. Republicans say that story was suppressed for political reasons.

Moving quickly after taking control of the House, Republicans are setting up a messy, politically explosive showdown with the White House that could delve deeply into the affairs of the president’s family and shape the contours of the 2024 race for the White House.

Click on the link for the full article

Well, we've seen from Congressional Republicans and other Trump lackeys that Congressional subpoenas are optional, so just ignore them. 

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Subpoenas shouldn't be ignored, they should be honored. So go and answer as appropriate: 1) under current investigation can't answer; 2) the Fifth; and 3) I don't remember.

My point is if you ignore the subpoena and DOJ comes after you, your defense should be that the DOJ is engaging in selective enforcement of the law (which is illegal).  Make DOJ go after everyone that ignores a subpeona.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, China said:

My point is if you ignore the subpoena and DOJ comes after you, your defense should be that the DOJ is engaging in selective enforcement of the law (which is illegal).  Make DOJ go after everyone that ignores a subpeona.

For better or for worse, the part in bold is not true.  The legal term for selective enforcement of the law is prosecutorial discretion.  

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2003/are-there-limits-prosecutorial-discretion

Why do prosecutors have so much power and authority to determine which cases are prosecuted and whether a person will face a harsh penalty or get away with a slap on the wrist? The answer is simple: "prosecutorial discretion." Under American law, government prosecuting attorneys have nearly absolute and unreviewable power to choose whether or not to bring criminal charges and what charges to bring.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

For better or for worse, the part in bold is not true.  The legal term for selective enforcement of the law is prosecutorial discretion.  

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2003/are-there-limits-prosecutorial-discretion

Yes, but the biased use of enforcement discretion, such as that based on racial prejudice or corruption, is usually considered a legal abuse and a threat to the rule of law. I would contend that not enforcing these Congressional subpeonas on powerful, rich white men is such an abuse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, China said:

Yes, but the biased use of enforcement discretion, such as that based on racial prejudice or corruption, is usually considered a legal abuse and a threat to the rule of law. I would contend that not enforcing these Congressional subpeonas on powerful, rich white men is such an abuse.

I think that's a better political argument than a legal one, but they should definitely raise it since this is all political and not really legal anyways. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 3

The White House on Thursday sharply criticized what it called a “backwards” bill introduced by House Republicans that would limit presidential authority to tap the national Strategic Petroleum Reserve, which President Biden has done repeatedly in an effort to bring down gas prices. 

Known as the Strategic Production Response Act, the bill was introduced earlier this week by Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, R-Wash., to prevent the president from releasing any oil from the reserve (except in case of a carefully defined “severe energy supply interruption”) unless the president at the same time opens up more federal lands to oil and gas drilling — something Republicans have sharply criticized Biden for resisting.

Them "I did that" stickers not hitting the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

52 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Is there a single thing Republicans do or try to do nowadays that isn't backwards? I mean...Jesus Christ, indoor smoking? Are they going to start allowing asbestos and lead paint as well?

Yeah this is the weird thing about Republicans.  They've evolved to just support an sort of batcrazy conspiracy theory.  I distinctly remember reading a conversative OpEd ~15 years ago where the author was using anti-vaxxers (who tended to be liberal back then) as an example that both parties have their own sets of loons. At this point the Republican party is just professional trolls. They get off on how upset other people get at their stupidity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

Yeah this is the weird thing about Republicans.  They've evolved to just support an sort of batcrazy conspiracy theory.  I distinctly remember reading a conversative OpEd ~15 years ago where the author was using anti-vaxxers (who tended to be liberal back then) as an example that both parties have their own sets of loons. At this point the Republican party is just professional trolls. They get off on how upset other people get at their stupidity.

Yeah that's true. For them nowadays absolutely nothing is about governing or even any really specific ideology. It's all about "owning the libs", even when it's something that has a direct and negative impact on them and/or their base. It's bizarre.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2