Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

GOP national sales tax talk backfires, as Dems see political gold

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy has backed his fellow Republicans into a corner with one of the promises he made to his far-right flank to land his job: opening the door to considering fringe legislation that would replace the income tax with a federal sales tax and abolish the IRS.

Most GOP members appear determined to distance themselves as much as possible from the idea, and McCarthy himself said this week he doesn’t support the legislation. But Democrats aren’t going to let the issue die quietly. They’ve been more than happy to use it as a cudgel to portray Republicans as dangerous radicals.

“You gotta be kidding me. What in God’s name is this all about?” President Joe Biden said Thursday about the plan, saying it would slap a 30 percent national sales tax on “every item from groceries, gasoline, clothing, supplies, [and] medicine.”

Various forms of the legislation, dubbed the “FairTax Act,” have been around for decades and attracted little serious attention from Republican leaders. But a spokesperson for Rep. Andrew Clyde of Georgia, one of the 21 GOP holdouts who initially blocked McCarthy’s speakership bid and is a co-sponsor of the legislation, said McCarthy promised that the legislation would go through the committee process.

Forcing the discussion of the unpopular tax puts the GOP in a political bind that seems doomed to repeat itself for the House’s slim majority. McCarthy must walk a tightrope between appeasing the renegade factions of his caucus and disassociating the party from policy proposals that could hurt Republicans at the ballot box.

The newly anointed chair of the House Ways and Means Committee, Rep. Jason Smith (R-Mo.), said he’s committed to having a committee hearing on the legislation in which members can have an open and transparent debate.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

BRENNAN: You put Marjorie Taylor Greene on the subcommittee to investigate the origins of Covid. She compared mask requirements to the Holocaust. How's anyone supposed to take that work seriously?

MCCARTHY: You have all the questions out there.

what-im-just-asking-a-question.gif

Also it's pronounced "oranges" of covid dummy. 🤪

Edited by Captain Wiggles
  • Haha 2

I love how Santos thought he was getting into an awesome new grift by being elected to Congress (including a salary for the rest of his life after one term, which isn't even true), but instead the result is that all of his past cons are coming to light and he's now under criminal investigation.

punch-self-own.gif

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I love how Santos thought he was getting into an awesome new grift by being elected to Congress (including a salary for the rest of his life after one term, which isn't even true), but instead the result is that all of his past cons are coming to light and he's now under criminal investigation.

punch-self-own.gif

Santos is what happens when you get your news from the Babylon Bee. 

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

So are Republicans planning on taking credit for ending the pandemic national emergency when it's already been reported that the Biden administration plans to let it expire in May?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, China said:

So are Republicans planning on taking credit for ending the pandemic national emergency when it's already been reported that the Biden administration plans to let it expire in May?

Was gonna say the same thing…

I give up. First ticket to another planet I can afford I’m gone. No coming back? Good. 

18 minutes ago, tshile said:

I give up. First ticket to another planet I can afford I’m gone. No coming back? Good. 

Idk. That's how ya end up a slave in some mine on one of Jupiter's Moons run by some ****ty space corporation. Like they'll advertise its a nice vacation destination but once ya get there it's really just a slave labor mining colony. 👩‍🚀👨‍🚀

4 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Idk. That's how ya end up a slave in some mine on one of Jupiter's Moons run by some ****ty space corporation. Like they'll advertise its a nice vacation destination but once ya get there it's really just a slave labor mining colony. 👩‍🚀👨‍🚀

They'll give it a nice name, like "Greenland". 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Was gonna say the same thing…

46 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

arnold-schwarzenegger.gif

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1