Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

The GOP House brought all the chaos they promised in the first two weeks of their shaky majority

The new, tiny House Republican majority set out its agenda for the first week of the new session on Dec. 30. It was ridiculous in theory, and it was doubly ridiculous in practice only in part because it took until Week Two to accomplish. The Week One display on the House floor from fractious Republicans in even getting a figurehead speaker installed wasn’t enough to deter them from forging ahead with that divisive, unpopular agenda this week. Then to head off early on Thursday for a 12-day recess observing Martin Luther King Day. Yeah, some of us get one day. They get 12.

Here’s what they accomplished in their first week of “legislating.”

On Monday, Republicans passed a new rules package to govern the House for the 118th session, keeping in place some of the rules from the previous Congress and jettisoning others, mostly in the name of “fiscal responsibility.”

Getting the most attention because it was one of the key demands McCarthy caved on to the maniacs is allowing just one member to make a “motion to vacate the chair,” or call to oust McCarthy. It’s a privileged resolution, meaning it takes priority on the floor ahead of anything else once it’s called. One thing to note is that the one-member motion rule had been in place forever until it was weaponized by the Freedom Caucus in 2015. In 2019, Democrats modified the rule to say it could only be brought “if offered by direction of a party caucus or conference.” The maniacs insisting that it be reinstated to a single member is their power play over McCarthy. And they won.

The rules also ended proxy voting—the COVID-19 pandemic protections that allowed members to work, and vote, remotely. Republicans used proxy voting regularly but ****ed about it from the time it was established in May 2020 even trying to take it to the Supreme Court (they failed). McCarthy and team had to jettison it after the prolonged hissy fit they threw over it, but he’s going to regret that. He only has five votes as a cushion in his majority, so when the inevitable happens and he doesn’t have 218 Republicans present on any given day, Democrats can play.

The other significant changes in the rules are aimed toward forcing massive domestic spending cuts. The GOP scrapped the Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGO) rule that requires the government to offset spending increases with either an equal decrease in spending or an increase in revenue and instituted CUTGO. Any increase in mandatory spending has to be countered by equal or greater spending cuts—no new revenue, no new taxes. They prohibited the use of budget reconciliation bills that would increase mandatory spending—the process the Democratic Congress used to overcome Senate filibusters to pass the American Rescue Plan and the Inflation Reduction Act.

The House GOP mandated that members have to directly vote on proposals to suspend or raise the debt limit. It has to be a stand-alone vote and cannot be automatically passed in a budget resolution or a conference report between the House and Senate. That’s the hand grenade they’re clutching to force Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid cuts.

Republicans also reinstated the “Holman Rule,” allowing amendments to appropriations bills to target specific federal programs or workers by zeroing out their budgets and/or salaries. That gets around the work protections in place for civil servants. They also gutted the Office of Congressional Ethics (OCE), a bipartisan group that investigates ethics issues of sitting members and makes recommendations to the House Ethics Committee for action. It’s a “protect insurrectionist Republicans and George Santos” rule.

They promptly followed all of that up on Monday by voting to increase the deficit over the next 10 years by $114 billion. Actually, what they were voting on was protecting their super-rich pals from getting audited by the IRS. They voted to rescind the $70 billion boost to the IRS that Democrats passed last year, a $70 billion investment the Congressional Budget Office estimates will increase revenue by $186 billion in a decade. The Senate is not going to pass this bill, but the House will keep including this in every spending package for the next two years, so it’s not a fight that’s going away any time soon.

On Tuesday they continued setting up their insurrectionist protection plan by authorizing the “Select Subcommittee on the Weaponization of the Federal Government,” in which they will weaponize the House against perceived political enemies. It’s more like the “Joe McCarthy Select Committee 2.0.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 2

6 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Good majority party we got here

God also said no adultery too. Didn't she cheat on her husband, like 3 times?

Maybe she should start working on some of the more glaring directives before quoting other rando stuff from the bible.

• Thumb up 3

Republicans Vow To Cut Social Security: 'People Want To Work Longer'

Georgia Republican Congressman Rick Allen said they are considering raising the age of Social Security because, in his words, "people want to work longer."

Social Security Works grabbed this video for the entire country to see.

Pete Callahan asked the Congressman about raising the age of retirement.

Allen thought that was an interesting question.

"People come up to me, and they actually want to work longer," Allen said. (If that doesn't sound like a "sir story," I'm not sure what is.)

"That's on the table?" Callahan asked.

"Well, you know, if people want to work longer maybe you need to give them an incentive to do it," Allen replied.

• Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, China said:

Republicans Vow To Cut Social Security: 'People Want To Work Longer'

Georgia Republican Congressman Rick Allen said they are considering raising the age of Social Security because, in his words, "people want to work longer."

Social Security Works grabbed this video for the entire country to see.

Pete Callahan asked the Congressman about raising the age of retirement.

Allen thought that was an interesting question.

"People come up to me, and they actually want to work longer," Allen said. (If that doesn't sound like a "sir story," I'm not sure what is.)

"That's on the table?" Callahan asked.

"Well, you know, if people want to work longer maybe you need to give them an incentive to do it," Allen replied.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611cb1cbbf55f283431dabeea9c5c1ce15856c1124e&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

• Thanks 1

When talking points go bad. 

I am sure the talking point ia: "people are living longer, so people will naturally work longer before retiremenr."   

I think the reality is, "we have such a good job at destroying the poor and middle class that many of them feel like they will never be able to retire; we have done such a good job of destroying America that the common idea 2 generations ago of retirement is dead...."  This should be shameful. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve had this argument before, because republicans aren’t he only people suggesting we raise the age

Just because there are medical and health advances that allow us to live longer, doesn’t mean we’re more capable of working at older ages. 

This is not an acceptable answer to fixing social security (or making it better)

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, tshile said:

I’ve had this argument before, because republicans aren’t he only people suggesting we raise the age

Just because there are medical and health advances that allow us to live longer, doesn’t mean we’re more capable of working at older ages. 

This is not an acceptable answer to fixing social security (or making it better)

All earned income should be subject to FICA or whatever they call it these days. And maybe a 1% tax on sold investments. You can bet that people who don't pay over a certain amount claim Social Security and Medicare with a good supplement, a couple of them. 

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

All earned income should be subject to FICA or whatever they call it these days. And maybe a 1% tax on sold investments. You can bet that people who don't pay over a certain amount claim Social Security and Medicare with a good supplement, a couple of them. 

Ding ding ding!!

Raise the income caps and voila! SS is solvent+

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

This conversation is dumb, because Social Security is easy fix to make it solvent.  

Its Medicare/Medicaid health insurance that is killing us.  Not just on the government side... private payers too.  Here is a plan I am cribbing from another site (Karl Denninger at the Market Ticker).  Full disclosure, I think some of his views are borderline racist, but... I actually think this is as good of a plan we can do.  

1) BILL EVERYONE THE SAME PRICE REGARDLESS OF HOW THEY PAY.  Bye bye insurance companies.   

2)  Prices are posted at the provider and consented to up front. 

3)  Any treatments that are caused by health provider cannot be billed to customer (ie. staph infection that you get in the hospital).  

4) Surgical programs are required to provide a list of successful outcomes ie. some stats like a success rate.  Sports has QBR... why don't we care how our health care providors go? 

5)  Doctors must allow people to shop for x-ray, labs, etc.  Can't be forced to provide this at point of service. 

6) ENFORCE ANTI TRUST LAWS!!!  So we don't have price collusion. etc.  Does anyone in our government run on this?  I hate that our government seems to not care about anti-trust.  

7)  Allow services providors for diagnostic services that are non-invasive, blood draws, MRI, to be done without prescription or doctor authorization.  

8 Give US wholesale drug pricing.  We are getting screwed by pharma.  

9) (Controversial)  Any medical conditions as a result of poor life style choice like Type II diabetes are not paid for ny government.

There are a few more controversial items under his plan. That are too much to go into (including services for non legal residents). 

But hey, it's just as likely as single payer!

No way in hell will I support raising the income cap. 

2 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

3)  Any treatments that are caused by health provider cannot be billed to customer (ie. staph infection that you get in the hospital).  

The problem with this is that no one outside healthcare ever has any nuance with this. 

hospital acquired infections, falls, and readmission is already subject to this. So, sort of confused what the point is to list something already being done. 

but there is a reality that patients have a responsibility for their care too. And some problems are not caused by doctors, nurses, or hospitals doing something wrong - they’re caused by the patient not doing what they’re supposed to. 

taking medicine. Getting rest of staying off your feet or following weight limits on lifting. Changing/cleaning bandages. Flushing things, or getting enough exercise or doing the correct physical therapy exercises the way you’re told. 

health care providers should be held liable for mistakes. And they are. It was part of the ACA. 

buy a lot of patients suck and create their own problems and they should absolutely pay for that themselves. 

7 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

This conversation is dumb, because Social Security is easy fix to make it solvent.  

Its Medicare/Medicaid health insurance that is killing us.  Not just on the government side... private payers too.  Here is a plan I am cribbing from another site (Karl Denninger at the Market Ticker).  Full disclosure, I think some of his views are borderline racist, but... I actually think this is as good of a plan we can do.  

1) BILL EVERYONE THE SAME PRICE REGARDLESS OF HOW THEY PAY.  Bye bye insurance companies.   

2)  Prices are posted at the provider and consented to up front. 

4) Surgical programs are required to provide a list of successful outcomes ie. some stats like a success rate.  Sports has QBR... why don't we care how our health care providors go? 

5)  Doctors must allow people to shop for x-ray, labs, etc.  Can't be forced to provide this at point of service. 

6) ENFORCE ANTI TRUST LAWS!!!  So we don't have price collusion. etc.  Does anyone in our government run on this?  I hate that our government seems to not care about anti-trust.  

7)  Allow services providors for diagnostic services that are non-invasive, blood draws, MRI, to be done without prescription or doctor authorization.  

8 Give US wholesale drug pricing.  We are getting screwed by pharma.  

9) (Controversial)  Any medical conditions as a result of poor life style choice like Type II diabetes are not paid for ny government.

There are a few more controversial items under his plan. That are too much to go into (including services for non legal residents). 

But hey, it's just as likely as single payer!

Believe me, when you're 65 and older, depending on your medical issues, you don't shop for medical services. When I looked into getting the lipoma on my shoulder removed, my primary doctor recommended an orthopedist in my medical group who in turn recommended an oncology surgeon who had more experience in removing large masses. This guy was outside of my medical group but he accepted Medicare and my supplement. 

To tell the truth, what my providers charge Medicare, what Medicare says it will cover,  and what Medicare actually covers are two entirely different amounts plus my supplement then covers what Medicare says it will cover. So the Medicare charges are a pretty good value. If you want to blame high prices, look at what the providers are billing to Medicare. Those prices rise mostly because of the for profit medical services. Take the profit out and prices look more in line with Medicare coverage.

People who are buying the Medicare Advantage plans are getting scammed. I will never change to that. 

• Like 1

“Greene questioned Boebert’s loyalty to McCarthy, and after a few words were exchanged, Boebert stormed out,” said one source familiar with the argument.

“You were okay taking millions of dollars from McCarthy but you refuse to vote for him for Speaker, Lauren?” Greene said, according to another source familiar with the confrontation.

The first source said Greene came out of a bathroom stall and confronted Boebert, who had been unaware the Georgia Republican was in the restroom, for taking campaign money from McCarthy and then turning against him in the speaker voting.

“That’s when Lauren said, ‘Don’t be ugly,’” the first source said, adding that Boebert then “ran out like a little schoolgirl.”

Boebert declined to comment on the matter, saying only, "See you later -- bye," and Greene did not respond to requests for comment.

Rep. Debbie Dingell (D-MI) allegedly witnessed the near-screaming match, according to sources, but she declined three separate times to describe what she saw “in any way, shape or form.”

“What happens in the ladies room stays in the ladies room,” the Michigan Democrat said.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

“Greene questioned Boebert’s loyalty to McCarthy, and after a few words were exchanged, Boebert stormed out,” said one source familiar with the argument.

“You were okay taking millions of dollars from McCarthy but you refuse to vote for him for Speaker, Lauren?” Greene said, according to another source familiar with the confrontation.

The first source said Greene came out of a bathroom stall and confronted Boebert, who had been unaware the Georgia Republican was in the restroom, for taking campaign money from McCarthy and then turning against him in the speaker voting.

“That’s when Lauren said, ‘Don’t be ugly,’” the first source said, adding that Boebert then “ran out like a little schoolgirl.”

Boebert declined to comment on the matter, saying only, "See you later -- bye," and Greene did not respond to requests for comment.

Rep. Debbie Dingell (D-MI) allegedly witnessed the near-screaming match, according to sources, but she declined three separate times to describe what she saw “in any way, shape or form.”

“What happens in the ladies room stays in the ladies room,” the Michigan Democrat said.

^^^^So the House has turned into petty High School drama...when does the hair pulling start?

In other news...