Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gun Related News/Control

Cooked Crack

You'd think the mililtary would keep tighter control over its weapons...

31 Pistols Went Missing from Fort Moore, Georgia. The Army Is Offering $5,000 for Information.

The Army's Criminal Investigation Division is offering a reward of up to $5,000 for information on 31 M17 pistols that went missing from Fort Moore in Georgia.

Investigators were notified May 16 that the pistols had been reported missing from the Crescenz Consolidated Equipment Pool on the base, and the firearms are believed to have gone missing sometime between March and May, according to an Army CID reward flyer posted on Reddit.

"The Maneuver Center of Excellence and Fort Moore is [sic] aware of the incident, which remains under investigation," the center's public affairs office said in an email Thursday to Military.com.

Click on the link for the full article

Kansas high school ‘assassin’ game ends with girl’s father allegedly shooting, paralyzing teen

A group of Kansas high schoolers' "senior assassin" prank involving gel bead guns erupted into chaos last month when it ended in a teenager being shot with a real gun and paralyzed from the waist down, a recently filed affidavit shows.

Sedgwick Sheriff's Office deputies initially responded to a shooting outside a Goddard Walmart just before 5 p.m. May 11 and found 18-year-old Anakin Zehring suffering from a gunshot wound to his back, which hit his liver, kidney and spinal cord, paralyzing him, according to police and a GoFundMe organized by Zehring's parents.

"On May 11th, our lives changed forever when my son was involved in the tragic incident at the Goddard Walmart shooting," his parents wrote on the GoFundMe page. "He sustained severe injuries, including a bullet wound that punctured his duodenum (upper part of the small intestine) and damaged his spinal cord, causing loss of sensation from the waist down. Despite undergoing four surgeries and intense medical care, his recovery journey is just beginning, and we need your help."

A 16-year-old and 17-year-old boy were with Zehring in the vehicle when he was struck but ran from the scene. Authorities ultimately caught up with the two teenage witnesses and questioned them, an affidavit states.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kansas-high-school-assassin-game-080000198.html

God that story is even worse than I originally thought. I figured stupid kids shot her with the gel blaster and the dad flipped out not knowing what was going on. 

no, her and her boyfriend knew what was going on and she called her dad. Who then decided, knowing what was going on, to drive over there with a gun and confront them? **** lock the daughter up too. How ridiculous. 

ps - the gel blaster thing is out of control and this is a good example of why you’re supposed to teach your kids to not run around in public with toy guns. 

3 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Arrested 19 times..no problem getting a gun. Wtf are we doing anymore?

You’re making a leap based on the tweet. 

the article says nothing about how/when he acquired the gun

the tweet says he “had access” then throws in that GA is a “permitless carry” state which is totally irrelevant to anything in this context 

might want to find out how he got the gun first? Maybe he bought it. Maybe he stole it. Maybe he inherited it or bought it a long time ago. Who the hell knows, the article doesn’t say and the tweet is simply inflammatory rhetoric you ran with 🤷‍♂️ 

8 minutes ago, tshile said:

You’re making a leap based on the tweet. 

the article says nothing about how/when he acquired the gun

the tweet says he “had access” then throws in that GA is a “permitless carry” state which is totally irrelevant to anything in this context 

might want to find out how he got the gun first? Maybe he bought it. Maybe he stole it. Maybe he inherited it or bought it a long time ago. Who the hell knows, the article doesn’t say and the tweet is simply inflammatory rhetoric you ran with 🤷‍♂️ 

As opposed to, say, rushing to announce that the fact that the state recently eliminated all check on gun purchases and carry is "totally irrelevant", while doing exactly the same amount of checking.  

:) 

4 minutes ago, Larry said:

As opposed to, say, rushing to announce that the fact that the state recently eliminated all check on gun purchases and carry is "totally irrelevant", while doing exactly the same amount of checking.  

:) 

Being a permitless state refers to not requiring a permit to conceal carry 

I’m not aware of anyone using it in any context about the purchasing process 

so unless something’s changed, yeah it’s irrelevant. 

Just double checking - googling “permitless state” yields tons of results about states that do not require a permit to carry a firearm (concealed or not)

not one result is about the purchasing process. 

Edited by tshile

@Larry

georgis still requires public gun purchases go through a FFL and as such all the normal checks are in place. 

they don’t have a waiting period (like many states) and allow private sales without a FFL like many states. 

You said

“the fact that the state recently eliminated all check on gun purchases”

this is incorrect. It’s not hard to look up either so you didn’t even bother. 

Edited by tshile

Oooh, you're right.  

Georgia did not repeal federal gun laws.  

You sure got me.  

But do they, for example, check purchasers for, say, 19 previous arrests?  Just to pick something that was actually mentioned in the article?  

Edited by Larry

If you can’t come to grips with the fact that you routinely rush to try to be clever and fail at comprehending what people actually say and getting the facts right, well, I suppose it’s one way to go through life 🤷‍♂️ 

As opposed to, say, ignoring people's questions and rushing to personal attacks as an excuse to avoid answering.  

36 minutes ago, tshile said:

If you can’t come to grips with the fact that you routinely rush to try to be clever and fail at comprehending what people actually say and getting the facts right, well, I suppose it’s one way to go through life 🤷‍♂️ 

I dont know man. All I did was point out we don’t know how he acquired it and being a permitless state is irrelevant to that specific situation (though it’s definitely a valid thing to be concerned about and there’s lots of good opinions on it)

You then came in with all your nonsense accusing me of rushing to do something I didn’t do (because you don’t understand how the word permitless is used) and then said the state removed all checks on purchases when they haven’t 

🤷‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, Larry said:

But do they, for example, check purchasers for, say, 19 previous arrests?  Just to pick something that was actually mentioned in the article?  

So - you edited this and I’m just now seeing the questions. 

is this the question you’re accusing me of ignoring? The one you added after the fact and I didn’t see? 😂 

if you’re asking that question then you have no idea how the federal background check process works. Here’s where you can do some reading. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Instant_Criminal_Background_Check_System

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/special-topics/nics/index.html

in short - arrests is the incorrect word to use here. You can be arrested for lots of things - many of which do not affect your eligibility to purchase a gun. 

if you’ve been convicted of a felony (which is the proper thing to point out that the article mentions) then you are a prohibited person and are in the NICS system, unless your rights have been officially restored (no idea how Georgia handles that). If you’re currently under indictment for a felony, you are also in the NICS system and ineligible. There’s a potential pitfall there - the FBI has 3 days to return an answer and if they don’t, you’re approved. It’s an unfortunate pitfall however the idea is to balance your rights ca public safety - allowing a government entity to drag their feet because of ideological reasons infringes on your rights. Concealed weapons permits are handled the same way (at least the ones I’m aware of)

the article additionally mentions a witness saying he appear to be suffering from a mental illness - far from an official medical evaluation,  but had he been diagnosed he could have (and should have) been in the NICS system for that as well. 

so do they check for prohibited persons? Of course - that’s what federal law requires. And no Georgia didn’t “eliminate” that check. 

No system is perfect there are ways the background check process can fail (including a FFL just not doing it, which would be illegal, but we know does happen)

it is possible he was erroneously allowed to purchase a gun (assuming the article is correct about who he is.) research shows very few gun dealers are responsible for the vast majority of illicit purchases - maybe he knew of one, or maybe someone didn’t do their job right. The odds would favor another option, however. 

the tweet and his comment are running with information we don’t yet have, and ignore many other ways he could have obtained a gun (and regardless of how he obtained it, it was illegal, unless his rights have been restored)

Edit: removing this last part it’s just inflammatory for no real purpose at this point 

Edited by tshile

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

is this the question you’re accusing me of ignoring? The one you added after the fact and I didn’t see? 😂 

Apologies.  I just saw that that was a possibility.  

I assume that's what happened.  

Again, apologies.  

• Like 1

No worries. I was just trying to point out the information was incorrect - or lacking at least (I’m guessing they’re saying what they’re saying in the tweet on purpose, it’s not hard to see that, but I suppose it’s possible it was just ill informed or an accident)

I edited my last one to add more info and remove the unnecessary commentary in the last paragraph. 

Edited by tshile

On a different note - my son is finally of an age where he’s being introduced to guns. 

It’s a fun process. There’s few things, so far my early stages of fatherhood, where you see a child take things seriously, pay close attention, and make sure not to mess up. This is one of them (for him) which is good because otherwise we’d be hitting the pause button. 

it helps that he’s in a family where everyone takes it seriously. I had no problem letting him go off with his grandfather last week, and when he came home I chuckled when my wife asked if grandad went over gun safety. She asked me why I was laughing which I responded with - of course he did, and he will every time, for many more years, because that’s the only way you do it. 

another was a natural disaster we navigated together 

also getting some seriousness and maturity out of both children as we discuss getting chickens for the first time next year, and what it means when the chickens stop laying eggs. 

now if only I could get him to do that with his school work 🤦🏼‍♂️

On 6/1/2024 at 11:20 AM, China said:

You'd think the mililtary would keep tighter control over its weapons...

31 Pistols Went Missing from Fort Moore, Georgia. The Army Is Offering $5,000 for Information.

The Army's Criminal Investigation Division is offering a reward of up to $5,000 for information on 31 M17 pistols that went missing from Fort Moore in Georgia.

Investigators were notified May 16 that the pistols had been reported missing from the Crescenz Consolidated Equipment Pool on the base, and the firearms are believed to have gone missing sometime between March and May, according to an Army CID reward flyer posted on Reddit.

"The Maneuver Center of Excellence and Fort Moore is [sic] aware of the incident, which remains under investigation," the center's public affairs office said in an email Thursday to Military.com.

I didn't see this one.  If stolen, it would be a big deal.  As it is, last accounted for in March.  There's supposed to be monthly inventory on these thing. 

The Army loses 50 or 150 of these a year (depending on if you go by their numbers, or AP numbers).

Arizona man indicted for guns sold as part of alleged plot to start race war

An Arizona man has been indicted by a federal grand jury for selling guns as part of an alleged plan to commit a mass shooting and spark a race war ahead of the 2024 presidential election.

Mark Adams Prieto, 58, of Prescott, Ariz., was indicted on charges of firearms trafficking, transfer of a firearm for use in a hate crime, and possession of an unregistered firearm, the U.S. attorneys office in Arizona said in a release Tuesday.

Starting in January 2024, according to the U.S. attorneys office, Prieto began talking to two individuals he did not know worked for the FBI to “devise a plan to commit a mass shooting of African Americans and other minorities to incite a race war” ahead of the election.

Kentucky State Police investigators believe fatal Saturday shooting on I-71 was self-defense

Kentucky State Police investigators know who pulled the trigger in a fatal shooting on Interstate 71 in Carroll County Saturday, but have no immediate plans to make an arrest. 

That's because they believe the shooting was likely a case of self-defense.

Kentucky State Police received a request to assist on a road rage incident just after 7 p.m. on June 8, according to a news release from state police. During the initial investigation, it was determined that two cars driving on I-71 got off at exit 43, KY 389. At that time, police said one of the drivers was on the phone with Carroll County dispatch, reporting that the other driver was "displaying a firearm."

As the two cars were traveling on KY 389, the incident "escalated," and shots were fired. One driver -- now identified as 63-year-old Daniel Shouse of Carrollton, Kentucky -- was hit by the gunfire and died from his wounds. 

"The second vehicle passed the first vehicle, at which time we believe the second vehicle brandished a firearm," said Kentucky State Trooper Chad Johnson. 

Investigators said Shouse had a gun, and they're treating the shooting as a case of self defense. Johnson said the man who shot Shouse remained at the scene. 

"He was on the scene when law enforcement got there," Johnson said. "Law enforcement has been able to interview him and talk to him and he's been cooperative the entire time." 

Police said both men were in their vehicles when the shots were fired. 

Federal judge blocks rule closing ‘gun-show loophole’ in 4 states

A federal judge in Texas blocked the Biden administration’s attempt to close the so-called gun show loophole on Wednesday, expanding a prior temporary ruling to impact Texas, Louisiana, Utah and Mississippi.

Judge Matthew Kacsmaryk ruled last month that the requirement to run a background check before purchasing a firearm could not go into effect in Texas. His final ruling Wednesday expands that injunction to the three other states.

The Biden administration rule went into effect May 20. The plaintiffs argued that it infringed on the rights of gun owners and exceeded the federal government’s authority.

Kacsmaryk agreed with plaintiffs, finding that the rule was effectively “requiring that firearms owners prove innocence rather than the government prove guilt,” which could “trigger civil or criminal penalties for conduct deemed lawful just yesterday.”

He also found that included language intended to protect gun owners from prosecution was inadequate.

“The absurdity [is] that the statute’s safe harbor provision provides no safe harbor at all for the majority of gun owners,” the judge wrote.

The ruling also blocks enforcement of the rule for a number of gun rights organizations, including the Gun Owners of America, which has more than 1 million members nationwide.

Supreme Court rules ban on gun bump stocks is unlawful

In a loss for the Biden administration, the Supreme Court ruled Friday that a Trump-era federal ban on bump stocks, gun accessories that allow semiautomatic rifles to fire more quickly, is unlawful.

In a 6-3 ruling on ideological lines, with the court's conservatives in the majority, the court held that an almost 100-year-old law aimed at banning machine guns cannot legitimately be interpreted to include bump stocks.

The Trump administration imposed the prohibition after the Las Vegas mass shooting in 2017, in which Stephen Paddock used bump stock-equipped firearms to open fire on a country music festival, initially killing 58 people. Then-President Donald Trump personally called for the accessory to be banned.

Writing for the majority, Justice Clarence Thomas said that a firearm equipped with the accessory does not meet the definition of "machinegun" under federal law.

The ruling prompted a vigorous dissent from liberal Justice Sonia Sotomayor.

"When I see a bird that walks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck," she wrote in reference to bump stocks enabling semiautomatic rifles to operate like machine guns. Sotomayor also took the rare step of reading a summary of her dissent in court.