Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gun Related News/Control

Cooked Crack

3 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

I have heard enough of these stories that I never pull into peoples driveways if I’m lost and need to turn around. I will go until I find a safe place to turn around. 

I do the same thing for the same reason. Especially on a country road. It's either a business I pull into (rarely), make a u-turn at a T intersection or the good ol' 3-point turn in the middle of the road. 

2 hours ago, Long n Left said:

How do you guys get lost? You don’t own a smartphone?

Of course. Google maps isn't perfect. I've had deliveries to an address - confirmed in G-maps before I leave - driven to the spot & it's in the middle of a road with nothing around but woods. Why? And that's happened on more than 1 occasion. Or maybe you lose GPS signal in the middle of East BF. Now what? One last example: Property address is on street A. I drive there and it's a business, not a house. The home is a mile past the business to the end of the road, make a left & start looking for the address on mailbox posts. Ah, there it is 2 miles and a left hand turn past where G-maps told me to go. 

• Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Counter-counterpoint

User (dumbass) error

49 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Of course. Google maps isn't perfect. I've had deliveries to an address - confirmed in G-maps before I leave - driven to the spot & it's in the middle of a road with nothing around but woods. Why? And that's happened on more than 1 occasion. Or maybe you lose GPS signal in the middle of East BF. Now what? One last example: Property address is on street A. I drive there and it's a business, not a house. The home is a mile past the business to the end of the road, make a left & start looking for the address on mailbox posts. Ah, there it is 2 miles and a left hand turn past where G-maps told me to go. 

You are familiar with satellite view, yes?

42 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

You are familiar with satellite view, yes?

Yes. Not all current road signs/changes are on G-maps - that can & does include roads that are one-way. Sometimes it's wrong & I can't make the turn it wants me to. Or, ****, that came up quickly (watching closely driving in the country to make sure some critter/deer doesn't run out from either side of the road) & I was supposed to make that turn. Arrrg...

**** happens & I need to make u-turns. Back to the point: I'm not making them in peoples driveways. 

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Yes. Not all current road signs/changes are on G-maps - that can & does include roads that are one-way. Sometimes it's wrong & I can't make the turn it wants me to. Or, ****, that came up quickly (watching closely driving in the country to make sure some critter/deer doesn't run out from either side of the road) & I was supposed to make that turn. Arrrg...

**** happens & I need to make u-turns. Back to the point: I'm not making them in peoples driveways. 

Way, way back like in the 90s...because our house is on the corner, people used to use it all the time to get back out of the neighborhood (my street is a horseshoe, so just keep going and you end up back on the main drag).  Hubby complained about it, then I said "If you park the car at the end of the driveway, they can't do it"...

Lightbulb over his head...he was such a genius, but the little simple stuff was my expertise. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

I get it. Just having a bit of gratuitous fun.

I wouldn’t turn around in a stranger’s driveway either, especially here in SC.

The polling on gun control is meaningless.  Our politicians have shown us again and again that they don't care what we think, or who dies, as long as the gun lobby is putting money in their pockets.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, China said:

The polling on gun control is meaningless.  Our politicians have shown us again and again that they don't care what we think, or who dies, as long as the gun lobby is putting money in their pockets.

Truth. But, with the imminent demise of the NRA🤞, I’m wondering just how powerful, and more importantly, wealthy, the gun lobby will be going forward. 

Possibly someone of means could help coalesce the gun control lobby to function as strongly as the gun lobby has lo these last 3-4 decades?

I think the dominance of the gun nuts over gun control, in terms of legislation passed, has a lot more to do with how people vote, than money does.  

Yeah, maybe 90% of voters think closing the "gun show loophole" is a good idea.  

But if Congressman Lardbutt never once brings up a measure to do it, not one voter will change his vote over it.  

But if he actually votes to do it, 4-5% of the voters, all of them gun nuts, absolutely will change their votes over it.  

It's not how people tell a pollster they feel.  It's how people who actually vote, actually vote.  

• 2 weeks later...

Rowan County man charged with weapon of mass destruction in deadly shooting

A Rowan County man has been charged with possession of a weapon of mass destruction during a justified homicide on May 28, 2023, according to the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies were called around 8:20 that night to a residence on Old Beatty Ford Road near Rockwell.

A woman reported the shooting to police, but officials say Tyler King, 23, died from his injuries by the time first responders arrived.

King was at Jeremy Calvin Kepley’s home when an argument escalated and King grabbed a firearm in the residence before pointing it at Kepley. In response, Kepley fired a single shot from another firearm close to him which hit and killed King, deputies describe.

After a thorough investigation and collection of evidence, officials determined Kepley’s act was in self-defense based on the deadly threat from King; however, the weapon he used was a “sawed-off” shotgun which is illegal to own.

Click on the link for the full article

How did the Texas megachurch shooter buy a rifle despite her mental illness and criminal history?

The shooter who opened fire at a Houston megachurch before being gunned down by security officers used an AR-style rifle that police say she legally purchased despite a years-long criminal record, a history of mental illness and allegations she threatened to shoot her ex-husband.

Key questions remained Tuesday about Genesse Moreno’s motive in the shooting, and police have given no details about where and how she obtained the rifle in December. The shooting joins others in Texas and elsewhere that have involved shooters who legally obtained guns despite criminal history and mental health problems.

Authorities say Moreno, 36, entered celebrity pastor Joel Osteen’s Lakewood Church on Sunday with her 7-year-old son and began firing in a hallway, sending worshippers scrambling for safety. Moreno did not reach the main sanctuary and was killed after exchanging gunfire with two off-duty officers.

Houston Police Chief Troy Finner did not say whether the AR-15 was purchased retail, which would have required a background check if bought from a federally licensed firearms dealer, or a private sale, which would not. Texas requires no license to carry a rifle or handgun in public. Police added that Moreno also carried a .22 caliber rifle that she did not fire during the shooting.

“We’re not people standing up here against (Second Amendment) rights, but people who are suffering from mental illness, criminals … we’re looking at that,” Finner said.

Burnsville first responders shot: 2 officers,1 firefighter-paramedic killed

Several Burnsville police officers were shot — two officers and one firefighter-paramedic were killed — while responding to a domestic call on Sunday morning. 

Authorities say police were called to a home on the 12600 block of 33rd Avenue South at 1:50 a.m. Sunday on a report of a domestic situation, where a man reported to be armed was barricaded with his family members, including seven children ages 2 to 15 years old.

After officers arrived, the situation "escalated," the City of Burnsville said in a press release. Officer Paul Elmstrand, Officer Matthew Ruge and Firefighter-Paramedic Adam Finseth were killed, while Police Sgt. Adam Medlicott was injured by the gunman during their response.

• Sad 1

Ex-N.R.A. Chief Wayne LaPierre Found Liable for Financial Misconduct

In a sweeping rebuke of the National Rifle Association, the nation’s most prominent gun rights group, a Manhattan jury ruled on Friday that N.R.A. leaders had engaged in a pattern of financial misconduct and corruption.

The jury, after a week of deliberations, found that the group’s former leader, Wayne LaPierre, had used N.R.A. funds to pay for personal expenses, including vacations, luxury flights for his relatives and rides on superyachts. Jurors found that he misspent $5.4 million, some of which he has repaid.  

The trial, in the courtroom of Justice Joel M. Cohen of State Supreme Court stemmed from a lawsuit brought in 2020 by New York’s attorney general, Letitia James.  The N.R.A., which was chartered as a nonprofit group in New York in 1871, has been plagued by financial trouble and internal conflict in recent years.

Lawyers for Ms. James, a Democrat, presented evidence at trial that Mr. LaPierre had misspent millions of dollars on an array of inappropriate expenses, some of which bordered on the bizarre, such as the use of helicopters to avoid traffic during trips to NASCAR races. Other expense reports showed Mr. LaPierre seeking reimbursement for mosquito treatment and landscaping at his house.

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, China said:

Other expense reports showed Mr. LaPierre seeking reimbursement for mosquito treatment and landscaping at his house.

Mosquito treatment?  Doesn't he have guns for home defense?  

• Haha 3

Shoot first, ask questions later...

An Ohio senator and his wife said they fired ‘warning’ shots. A teenager and his family say they were shot at

Congressional candidate and Republican state Sen. Michael Rulli spotted two teenagers he thought were on his Columbiana County property before dawn, grabbed his pistol and fired.

That evening, Hayden Cibula, 16 at the time, returned with three family members to the site of land owned by his uncle to retrieve tree stands and other gear, having determined it was no longer a safe for him to hunt. At that point, Kelly Rulli, the senator’s wife, started shooting.

No one was shot in either incident. But beyond that point, almost all details about what happened between the Rulli and Cibula families on Nov. 28, 2022 are in bitter dispute. Their accounts – detailed in public records and interviews – intractably clash on key details, including where the Rullis aimed their fire, the distance between the shooters and Cibulas, how many shots were fired, and whether anyone was in fact trespassing.

A special prosecutor declined to bring charges against Rulli or his wife, writing in a report that their actions were “reasonable” under the circumstances. He also didn’t recommend charges for Hayden Cibula, who he concluded was trespassing.

Michael Rulli said in statements and an interview he shot at the ground, not at Hayden Cibula, who he accused of trespassing. The law enforcement investigation largely sided with his version of events, records show. And the special prosecutor also concluded that Kelly Rulli shot at the ground and not at the family. No shell casings or bullets were recovered from either incident.

But in interviews, both Hayden and Ashley Cibula remain adamant that the two Rullis fired at them, on both occasions. They denied that they were trespassing, saying they were hundreds of yards away on land owned by Hayden Cibula’s uncle, not 15 yards away as Rulli claimed.

“It was really reckless,” Hayden Cibula said in an interview. “There was no reason to shoot. He could have came down to talk to us. But there was no reason to shoot.”

Click onthe link for the full article