Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

Just now, Est.1974 said:

Sale price agreed before the end of this February. Stay positive folks.

Thanks man! Those who call themselves battered fan syndrome and/or have battered fan syndrome are very nervous right now. I guess I’ll go back to the OC thread now, and pretend I really care much about that when Snyder leaving or not is being decided.

More than three months after Daniel and Tanya Snyder announced they had hired an investment bank to “consider potential transactions” regarding the Washington Commanders, no bidding war has erupted for the storied NFL franchise.

Josh Harris, co-founder of Apollo Global Management and owner of the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers and NHL’s New Jersey Devils, is one of at least two potential buyers to have toured the team’s training facility in Ashburn, according to people close to the situation. At least two groups have submitted initial proposals to Bank of America Securities, which is handling the process that could lead to a full or partial sale of the team, according to two people familiar with the proceedings.

While the reasons for the seemingly languid pace of a potential sale aren’t clear, it could suggest the desired price — some believe Snyder is seeking as much as $7 billion — simply isn’t doable for many would-be buyers under the NFL’s rules for team ownership, the most restrictive in sports.

Those rules require the lead investor of an NFL ownership group to have at least a 30-percent equity stake in the purchase (nearly $2 billion if the Commanders sell for $6.5 billion). No ownership group can exceed 25 people, including the lead investor. The group can’t borrow more than $1.1 billion to buy the team. And no private equity firms, public corporations or sovereign wealth funds can own any share.

To date, the NFL hasn’t had trouble finding individual buyers to meet its conditions. Walmart heir Rob Walton, the 12th-wealthiest person in America with an estimated net worth of $60.6 billion, according to Forbes, led the group that submitted the winning bid of $4.65 billion for the Denver Broncos, the most recent NFL team to be sold, last year. Before that, billionaire hedge-fund manager David Tepper, currently worth an estimated $18.5 billion, bought the Carolina Panthers for $2.275 billion in 2018.

Nonetheless, there are multiple reasons the league may consider loosening its ownership requirements sooner rather than later. For starters, the rapid escalation of NFL franchise values limits the pool of potential buyers with sufficient financial wherewithal. Moreover, the NFL’s rules more sharply limit the pool of potential Black bidders, undercutting the league’s stated interest in diversifying its ownership ranks. None of the 32 NFL teams has ever had a Black owner.

In December, league officials suggested that team owners consider the current ownership policies and whether any changes should be made in the future, according to a person familiar with the situation. That could include allowing private equity firms to buy a limited stake in NFL teams.

“From time to time, the membership will review its ownership structure policies,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said.

...In the case of the Commanders, the team’s storied history as one of just 10 teams to have won three or more Super Bowl championships adds to its value. The team also boasts a cache that can’t be quantified, given its unrivaled proximity to political power.

Those are among the reasons McCann believes that a buyer will emerge who can clear the NFL’s high ownership bar. Jeff Bezos, who owns The Washington Post, has expressed interest in the Commanders but did not submit one of the initial bids. Because of Bezos’s vast net worth, the current NFL requirements would not be an obstacle.

“This is a team that has a legacy to it that should attract a lot of bidders,” McCann said. “It’s a great market with a great fan base. There are other NFL teams in smaller markets, so maybe eventually the league will loosen the rules. My instinct is that [the Commanders] isn’t the sale that’s going to force that change.”

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

However it happens, its gonna happen. Just a matter of when.

Dan not selling would lend itself to the kind of uproar that will force sponsors to get involved and once that happens its over.

Totally agree… where ever the price lands it will take place… as you stated if he doesn’t sell I could easily see FedEx bailing just to name a few and then good luck trying to find another sponsor for naming rights… it’s happening when and for how much is still TBD but it’s happening 

36 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Dan not selling would lend itself to the kind of uproar that will force sponsors to get involved and once that happens its over.

Definately yes.

And if that happens that will only lower the price of the team more.

Investors aren't dumb. They had access to lots of and most bailed out. Even if league rules are tough, that also speaks alot about the state of this franchise.

Dan setting the price at 7 Billion is not much him not wanting to sell but more him being delusional as always.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, woodpecker said:

Ugh. This is some depressing stuff here. All that hangs in the balance is whether or not I will have a team to cheer for for the rest of my life. After all this, for him to decide not to sell, and the NFL lets him get away with it... It would just be too much to bear. I would be done with the NFL completely, and probably spend my Sundays seeing a therapist for depression.

I'm too much of a football fan to be done with the league in this circumstance, but I'd absolutely be done with Snyder's team.  I don't really care about the coaches and players anymore.  Not like I did before Dan.  After  the Snyder era nightmare, all I care about is Dan being gone and having a classy franchise I can believe in and root for (even if there is never another SB) instead of the laughing stock that the franchise continues to be.  it's the absolute poster child for irrelevance and will continue on that way indefinitely under Dan.  

I'm just personally at a place where I cannot root for a Dan Snyder product any longer, no matter how many nice people may comprise the actual team.  I'll devote everything to hating his team.

• Like 3

Family legacy? Becoming a complete failure as a owner and laughing stock by fans? One awesome legacy to carry on!

That's like me purchasing a used Porsche Carrera GT, crashing it several, several times with 3 flat wheels, no fender, passenger door doesn't open, no windshield wipers, the engine knocks and missing the exhaust, and then handing it down to my children.

"Here you go kids, it's a highly sought after car!"

He's so clueless.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Who cares if Snyder owns 5% or some other such non-controlling minority interest?

New boss at the top is what matters. Not who gets a dividend check.

Me, he must be 100% out.

Let him take the toilet seat from his owners box as his legacy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Who cares if Snyder owns 5% or some other such non-controlling minority interest?

New boss at the top is what matters. Not who gets a dividend check.

I ****ing he care. He has ruined this franchise. I don't want his name, his sons name, his **** wife's name or any of their kin associated with this team. I WANT HIM GONE FOR EVER. I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!@!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Me, he must be 100% out.

Let him take the toilet seat from his owners box as his legacy.

4 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I ****ing he care. He has ruined this franchise. I don't want his name, his sons name, his **** wife's name or any of their kin associated with this team. I WANT HIM GONE FOR EVER. I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!@!!!!

We're all scarred by Snyder but this is losing the forest for the trees IMO.

Someone else in charge running the franchise and the culture is what matters. And if holding onto a piece of the team incentivizes Snyder to spend in FA this offseason, or pony up for an OC like Bieniemy, that's a good thing.

Take the win where you get it, folks. And make no mistake, Snyder selling 51% or more would be a massive win whether it's 51 or 100.

• Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Someone else in charge running the franchise and the culture is what matters. And if holding onto a piece of the team incentivizes Snyder to spend in FA this offseason, or pony up for an OC like Bieniemy, that's a good thing.

Take the win where you get it, folks. And make no mistake, Snyder selling 51% or more would be a massive win whether it's 51 or 100.

Nope, get the ****er totally out. He’s damaged goods beyond repair.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 3

Just now, CapsSkins said:

But I hate him as a person on a very deep and visceral level. I want only bad things for him. He blinds me with rage and I don't ever want to speak his name again after the parade. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CobraCommander said:

But I hate him as a person on a very deep and visceral level. I want only bad things for him. He blinds me with rage and I don't ever want to speak his name again after the parade. 

Yes, I more than understand being spiteful towards Dan on a human level.

But it doesn't necessarily make strategic sense. Selling 51% (or 67%, or 75%) means a lower overall $ number which expands the number of potential bidders.

The most important thing is that Snyder hands over the reins to a new owner/ownership group. I want to maximize the chances of that happening.

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

Yes, I more than understand being spiteful towards Dan on a human level.

But it doesn't necessarily make strategic sense. Selling 51% (or 67%, or 75%) means a lower overall $ number which expands the number of potential bidders.

The most important thing is that Snyder hands over the reins to a new owner/ownership group. I want to maximize the chances of that happening.

49% would be terrible. People do not want to do business with Snyder. He would still be a large shareholder and that would absolutely hurt our chances at a stadium deal. 5% and he's not allowed anywhere near the stadium.