Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington at Indy ~ Jim Irsay The People's Champ Edition

TK
Message added by TK,

1638968134_ScreenShot2022-10-30at7_15_40PM.thumb.png.beb0abb1113fde9d33d365ef2e549a12.png

4 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Can we compromise on a 50/50 ball?

I can dig this compromise. For most receivers I think the vast majority of the time that pass would be intercepted, but because it's Terry it moves to 50/50.

However, I still think it was a bad decision given all the factors in that situation.

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I have no doubt Heinicke trusts his arm. He clearly does, probably to a fault.

Oh, it's absolutely to a fault lol...(that was one of the ways I described his play last year)

As for what coaches would have preferred in that situation, agree to disagree I suppose, since it's not really easy to prove either way. I just think the attitude of "If the shot's there, take it" tends to be what most coaches want.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Could you just imagine how many points we could score if we could just play without defenders? 

I would love it if the defenders played 10 yards away from Terry. We would win every week lol

Watching that video again - Taylor threw it just a tad bit to his left instead of his right or else that would have dropped the ball right into Terry's hands and a possible walk in TD. The throw itself was slightly not accurate but it was the right decision by Taylor to throw the ball to Terry regardless of the outcome. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I can dig this compromise. For most receivers I think the vast majority of the time that pass would be intercepted, but because it's Terry it moves to 50/50.

However, I still think it was a bad decision given all the factors in that situation.

I guess I would have to look at all the other recievers on the play and see what was available. All I was able to see was pocket breaking down and he threw a ball to his #1. I get it was short...but what was the other option at the time? Sack? Throw it away? If he had done either it was game over. I'm glad he threw it and we won the game. Last time we drove for a touchdown we were on the 2 yard line and the dude with the big arm ****ed it up. I will take this and enjoy the win...thats what I have been doing since 1974.  HTTR. Heinicke isn't the answer.....but we need our back up to give us wins like Rush did for the Cowgirls. Let's do this.

Be safe and peace.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

C’mon man, if it was slightly not accurate, it wouldn’t be up for debate.  Slightly not accurate balls get caught no questions asked all the time.  An average arm has Terry scoring standing up. The ball was not ‘slightly’ under thrown.

But he made the same throw last week. I think in the scramble his feet probably didn't get set all the way. This is why I said off target a bit. It was not like 10 yards or something. 

5 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

I guess I would have to look at all the other recievers on the play and see what was available. All I was able to see was pocket breaking down and he threw a ball to his #1. I get it was short...but what was the other option at the time? Sack? Throw it away? If he had done either it was game over. I'm glad he threw it and we won the game. Last time we drove for a touchdown we were on the 2 yard line and the dude with the big arm ****ed it up. I will take this and enjoy the win...thats what I have been doing since 1974.  HTTR. Heinicke isn't the answer.....but we need our back up to give us wins like Rush did for the Cowgirls. Let's do this.

Be safe and peace.

Throwing it away would be a good option and definitely would not have been game over. There were 40 seconds on the clock, 1st and 10 on the 35, and 2 timeouts. That's a ton of time and 3 more downs to get it into the end zone.

I have never been able to and will never in my life cheer for losses. At 1 - 4, I was so depressed and had the " here we go again, season essentially over in early October " vibe again. After a 3 game win streak, a 4 - 4 record, and in position to play meaningful games in November and maybe December, I'm absolutely thrilled!!!!  😁😁😁😁

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I agree that TH is very limited and we badly need a better QB, but I think TH does better than Wentz.  We have no other choice.  The biggest problem, imo, is the coaching and that includes Ron.  I feel like we have players that could be better used and the coaching is inexcusable.

I appreciate Heinicke’s comfort in the system and ability to block out previous mistakes to give himself (and us) a shot at the end. Of course, the reason that’s necessary is because his limitations during the rest of the game often mean it’s hard to stay “on schedule” or even make routine big plays as an offense in order to properly complement our defense. So in essence he’s having to play hero ball at the end because he’s contributing to inadequacy throughout. And that will be punished against teams that can actually score points. 

The coaches would never do this while Heinicke is winning and keeping things gritty, and maybe the rookie’s not picking the offense up quickly, which would invalidate what I’m about to say—but I think Howell would have had us comfortably winning this game, without the need for last minute risky heroics. I think his mobility is more of a threat, he also has a short memory for mistakes, he’s also tough, and most importantly—he’s got a powerful and accurate arm that can strike nearly anywhere on the field. The only question is if he’s quietly already ready and lurking, or if he’s developing slowly. And there’s no way for us to know that. But I truly don’t think it would take much, or for him to be some superstar, for him to offer us more than Heinicke currently is, as a 4-quarter total package.  

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Throwing it away would be a good option and definitely would not have been game over. There were 40 seconds on the clock, 1st and 10 on the 35, and 2 timeouts. That's a ton of time and 3 more downs to get it into the end zone.

With 40 seconds, every attempt would be a pass and a potential interception.  I doubt he catches Terry in one on one coverage down there often.  

5 minutes ago, Conn said:

I appreciate Heinicke’s comfort in the system and ability to block out previous mistakes to give himself (and us) a shot at the end. Of course, the reason that’s necessary is because his limitations during the rest of the game often mean it’s hard to stay “on schedule” or even make routine big plays as an offense in order to properly complement our defense. So in essence he’s having to play hero ball at the end because he’s contributing to inadequacy throughout. And that will be punished against teams that can actually score points. 

The coaches would never do this while Heinicke is winning and keeping things gritty, and maybe the rookie’s not picking the offense up quickly, which would invalidate what I’m about to say—but I think Howell would have had us comfortably winning this game, without the need for last minute risky heroics. I think his mobility is more of a threat, he also has a short memory for mistakes, he’s also tough, and most importantly—he’s got a powerful and accurate arm that can strike nearly anywhere on the field. The only question is if he’s quietly already ready and lurking, or if he’s developing slowly. And there’s no way for us to know that. But I truly don’t think it would take much, or for him to be some superstar, for him to offer us more than Heinicke currently is, as a 4-quarter total package.  

I agree, which is why Ron is not a good coach.  You have Howell on the bench.  Give him a shot or accept TH’s limitations, but no more Wentz please.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PolarExpress said:

I agree that TH is very limited and we badly need a better QB, but I think TH does better than Wentz.  We have no other choice.  The biggest problem, imo, is the coaching and that includes Ron.  I feel like we have players that could be better used and the coaching is inexcusable.

They both suck. I really want to see what Howell can do so we can know if we'll have to be in desperation mode for a QB again this coming offseason, but I guess the coaches don't think he's ready yet.

As far as the coaching, I think it's a bit difficult to judge. Turner and Ron have never had a good QB here, so it's hard to say whether that's the main factor, or if it's the play calling, or a combination of both.

Edited by mistertim
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I disagree with you, but we seem to do that alot. Let's get some wins and then let Wentz back in when he gets healthy. Week 11 he comes back right? Hopefully we are 6-4 when he gets back.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tmandoug1 said:

I disagree with you, but we seem to do that alot. Let's get some wins and then let Wentz back in when he gets healthy. Week 11 he comes back right? Hopefully we are 6-4 when he gets back.

I don't understand your logic here, though.

Can you explain how 2nd and 10 on the opponent's 35 yard line, with 35 seconds left on the clock and 2 timeouts is "game over"?

Heinicke is bailing out this piece of **** offensive line with his pocket movement.  It is fantastic and his ability to break out of these pockets and keep his eyes down field is saving us too.

He's won his starts and saved our season.  Anyone calling for him to get benched is tripping and wants us to lose.  If he's healthy, then Taylor needs to play until Carson gets back.

• Like 5

The bottom line is Heinicke is exactly what we have always said he was: scrappy, passionate, tough guy who knows who to lob the ball to. He’s going to be awful for stretches and good for stretches. He’s not a guy you want to be your guy long term but he’s a guy that has every trait you want in a QB except the arm. 

Yes, that is limiting and it makes it obvious he cant be the guy. He’s also fairly inaccurate at times. But… he wins games. I’m not always sure how I’m the **** it happens but it does. 

I like the guy’s personality and how he plays hard every play.

But he has a very limited arm.

Now is not the time for Howell. That was last week. Heinicke has two wins now. You legit can’t bench the guy at this point. 

If we’re not in it in week 11/12 switching the Howell makes sense. 

The thing that makes no sense though is playing Wentz again unless they are legitimately planning on running it back next year. Need to keep him under 75% snaps first and foremost. Second if we’re in it at that point it’s because of Heinicke’s effort (notice I’m not saying his play… but his effort is electric.) Why would we sit him? If we’re out of it we need to see Howell.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I think that that was a fine throw by TH at the end.  That was basically a scramble drill, right?  So he has to throw it to where Terry is, because there's no pre-planned route anymore. Well, the way things played out, if there was going to be a DB there, the guy was always going to be right in front of him.

I loved the last play at the end.  After that nonsense at the end of the Packers game three guys just slam the Colt with the ball down.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don't understand your logic here, though.

Can you explain how 2nd and 10 on the opponent's 35 yard line, with 35 seconds left on the clock and 2 timeouts is "game over"?

Don't need to explain....the game is over and we won. Tell me the odds of winning with 35 seconds left and two time outs and a weak armed QB, ****ty OC, and a coach that has zero clock management skill? Get some sleep...coffee and chat tomorrow? Good talk.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Conn said:

We're not the type of team to win games comfortably. We haven't been for quite some time. I don't think an inexperienced rookie qb ( who coaches say isn't ready yet ) would change that. He'd probably get rattled and make a lot of mistakes. Maybe more than TH did. Not sure he'd have the perseverance necessary to win a game like this. Not at this point anyway.

It looked like Trai Turner played a lot better this evening than he did earlier this season. He was hideous in the first couple of games. Hence the benching. Seemed much better today. I still hope Charles recovers from his illness and is back for the Vikings game. Seemed like the absence of Holcomb didn't kill us. Sounds like a pretty good chance of Cole returning next Sunday. I felt like we had a pretty good game health wise and were excellent discipline wise. Didn't commit many penalties. Especially for a road game.

• Like 1