Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

πŸ˜€πŸ˜€ Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.πŸ˜€πŸ˜„

88Comrade2000

26 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think it’s important that we separate being a coach of a good offensive scheme and being a good HC candidate. They aren’t always the same thing. There’s a lot more to being a HC than just calling the plays.

Β 

Β 

This. You have to be a people person as well. Plus you are the new face of a franchise. It takes a special kind of person to do that job. I would give up multiple first rounders to get McVay back here with a legit GM.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

This. You have to be a people person as well. Plus you are the new face of a franchise. It takes a special kind of person to do that job. I would give up multiple first rounders to get McVay back here with a legit GM.

Β 

Ironically that's why Smith has got some play here for weeks.Β 

Β 

Β 

Screen Shot 2023-12-03 at 9.24.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-03 at 9.24.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-03 at 9.25.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-03 at 9.25.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-03 at 9.28.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-03 at 9.28.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-03 at 9.29.11 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Β 

I've associated Arthur Smith as being old school.Β  Titans run the ball, control the clock.Β  He brought some of that with him to Atlanta.

Β 

That's definitely not the same school that Frank Smith helps runs that offense.Β  I'll grant his last name is the same though as Arthur.Β 

Β 

As for Arthur's personality, i don't know.Β  I do know watching him on the sidelines he comes off high strung and not the most together guy, but that's a small sample of games I've watched.

Β 

Agree, the GM can sort though it.Β  Β I don't know about Frank Smith.Β  But I don't throw names here of guys just based on their association to good teams and just that alone.Β  Β Frank has been talked about on and off on different threads for reasons beyond that.Β 

Β 

As far personality-leadership skills, I used to play that up more.Β  While I liked Kyle as a playcaller, I wondered about whether he had the personality to be a good HC -- he's known to be high strung and also a dude without the best people skills.Β  I was wrong about that.Β  I was agnostic about McDaniel for similar reasons.Β  He came off like a weird dude to me.Β  I see a lot of the Dolphin interviews where i am at, and he comes off a bit weird.Β  So I thought it could go either way with him.Β  He was clearly a good play caller.Β  But I wondered if he came off like a leader of men?Β  But clearly he's a good coach.

Β 

Β 

Β 

I wonder if people here will ha e the same pronounced, amplified, repetitive reservations about Smith being an OC who isn't actually calling the plays. I hope that apprehension is universally applicable.

Β 

In any event, Smith seems to me a player development guy who helps mold offensive players to the offense, and that's what he coordinates. Could it translate more broadly? Perhaps. Our GM needs to get this right.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig

Great article and thanks for posting, SIP.Β  Sad but all true.Β  When we see the wash, rinse, repeat each week after every game in post interviews with RR you know there is something wrong.Β  No new ideas and confusion on how and what to fix.Β  It's quite apparent.Β  I don't get a chance to watch the games, so I have to read feedback and ask questions watch videos but again it's very apparent when someone can't handle the job.Β  Again, good dude but time to go.Β Β 

4 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

This is really what it boils down to. I hope they don’t get cute. There’s some really qualified candidates out there with high pedigree. Let’s hope for a home run.Β 

Start connecting the dots with those affiliated with Shen whom Harris brought in.Β  That's what I think and Cunningham, Asst. GM from the Bears is a good place to start.Β  Not saying that's the ONLY path Harris goes but the one he may travel.Β Β 

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Β 

I wonder if people here will ha e the same pronounced, amplified, repetitive reservations about Smith being an OC who isn't actually calling the plays. I hope that apprehension is universally applicable.

Β 

In any event, Smith seems to me a player development guy who helps mold offensive players to the offense, and that's what he coordinates. Could it translate more broadly? Perhaps. Our GM needs to get this right.

Β 

I am not saying I know of course.Β  Heck McDaniels wasn't calling the plays either in SF but a cog on the wheel of an inventive offense.Β  Smith reputation wise is considered smart and inventive and he is hyped for his personality and people skills.

Β 

I am not interviewing him obviously.Β  So you got me how he will come across.Β  Just saying his hype isn't just that he works with McDaniels, where that's it, enough said.Β  It's beyond just that.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

And then you have guys like Matt LeFleur, who I think is a great offensive coach. He’s developing their young players/receivers. Jordan Love looks legit.Β 
Β 

And he hired…Joe Barry. So it’s just more complex than being a good offensive mind.
Β 

Hell, Gruden passed on Wade Phillips to hire Barry….so his trolling feels kinda weak to me. πŸ˜†

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Β 

I am not saying I know of course.Β  Heck McDaniels wasn't calling the plays either in SF but a cog on the wheel of an inventive offense.Β  Smith reputation wise is considered smart and inventive and his hyped for his personality and people skills.

Β 

I am not interviewing him obviously.Β  So you got me how he will come across.Β  Just saying his hype isn't just that he works with McDaniels, enough said.

Β 

That wasn't aimed at you SIPmeister. I just recall the strong reservations in that context expressed by a helluva lot of our guys hereΒ 

• Like 1

Just now, skinzplay said:

Β 

That wasn't aimed at you SIPmeister. I just recall the strong reservations in that context expressed by a helluva lot of our guys hereΒ 

Β 

sure, I get it.Β  I am just saying if you see me highlight a potential coach, it won't be purely based on where he works.Β  Β I am big time a personality guy as to HC's along with their playmaking prowess.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 11/30/2023 at 8:13 PM, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

You can cross Johnson off the list, he said he has no interest in coaching a mess of a franchise and he does not care that Redskins have a new owner either

Β 

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2023/11/29/washington-commanders-qb-sam-howell-and-lions-oc-ben-johnson/

Β 

from Nov 29th would suggerst you have bad information. But if you have a reference that says otherwise I would be very interested.Β 

Β 

From the article above this looks to be a coveted job. Also, Ben Johnson wwent to Carolina like Sam. May not make a difference cbut there is already a connection.Β 

Β 

While the Commanders currently operate under the coach-centric model with Rivera acting as general manager overseeing all football operations, that’s not expected to be the case moving forward. New Washington owner Josh Harris will likely hire a newΒ general manager, and the job should be coveted.

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

Gotta get out of the mode of hiring HCs simply because they took the elevator to the office with Boy Wonder or Kyle. Miami's offense is a McDaniel offense, and it's beautiful. He's holding back too. Wait til the playoffs this time. Gonna be nasty. It's the Norv /Wannstedt thing all over again. It was always JJ, not his coordinators.

These dudes all start somewhere. McDaniel followed Kyle Shanahan around and absorbed his knowledge for a decade before he ever called his own plays. Sometimes those guys are EB-type frauds. Sometimes they’re Mike McDaniel. You have to take a swing, and prioritizing someone who has been around multiple offensive geniuses, multiple offensive systems, has excelled as a teacher coaching almost every offensive group, and is known as a communicator and a relationship-builder…you have to consider someone like that. I’m not saying he’s my slam dunk #1 choice over a Ben Johnson type, but he’s a top choice to me. I’ll never know who my #1 choice should be because I won’t be in the room interviewing these dudes and hearing their philosophies, seeing their proposed staffing plans.Β 
Β 

A guy like Smith who’s been around multiple systems and multiple genius playcallers may also have a leg up on putting together a more proven staff of diverse thinkers, pulling from around the league like Dan Campbell did.Β 
Β 

Anyways. I’m not pounding the table for any of these guys yet because I also want to see what GM/HC combos may be β€œpackage deals” etc. I’m simply saying that if you disqualified the dude for working under Sean Payton and Mike McDaniel, then you probably would have disqualified Mike McDaniel himself for being Kyle’s buddy and mini-me for a decade. Eventually you have to leap with one of these guys, sometimes. And it’s the relationship-builders I’d leap with, if everything else checks out.Β 

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think it’s important that we separate being a coach of a good offensive scheme and being a good HC candidate. They aren’t always the same thing. There’s a lot more to being a HC than just calling the plays.

Β 

Β 

And reading about Smith and his relationships with players and coaching staffs around the league, this is actually where I give Smith the advantage over a Ben Johnson. But I’m not behind the scenes, so who knows. The GM will have to decide that.Β 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Β 

I couldn't link the interview on this but its worth a watch.Β  Β Frank talking about it being a people business and how he connects to players.

Β 

https://phinphanatic.com/2022/06/06/frank-smith-great-fit-miami-dolphins-offensive-coordinator/

Β 

Β 

Screen Shot 2023-12-03 at 9.21.50 PM.png

That quote reminds me a lot of Joe Gibbs. Β He always maintained sports was first and foremost about relationships. Β So very true. Β 

• Like 1

I hwa ya @Conn. McDaniel was the wiz kid among that young group of assistants we had, and the only one without family heritage/roots to prop him up in this league if he faltered. As Cooley rightly pointed out waaaaay early on, if the youngster could shake off and move beyond some of his more juvenile antics and pursuits, he'd be unbelievable. He's done so, and here he is.

• Like 1

A coach with a "Run-focused Principle".Β 

Β 

Like a lot of bad decisions from Ron. I wonder what made him think a Pass-Focused (Pass-happy) OC would work in the NFC East?

Β 

Way too many things wrong with such a decision.Β 

Β 

Including why the Defense has regressed...

...yes, the offense hardly sustains drives and the defense is back on the field giving the opposing Offense multiple chances at breaking them down.Β 

Β 

Hire a new GM.

Hire a "Run-focused Principle" coach.Β 

1 minute ago, WilberMarshall said:

A coach with a "Run-focused Principle".Β 

Β 

Like a lot of bad decisions from Ron. I wonder what made him think a Pass-Focused (Pass-happy) OC would work in the NFC East?

Β 

Way too many things wrong with such a decision.Β 

Β 

Including why the Defense has regressed...

...yes, the offense hardly sustains drives and the defense is back on the field giving the opposing Offense multiple chances at breaking them down.Β 

Β 

Hire a new GM.

Hire a "Run-focused Principle" coach.Β 

It’s working in the NFCE literally right now with the Cowboys. It’s not 2005. Being pass-heavy isn’t the only/main reason why EB sucks and isn’t why our defense is as bad as it is (though you’re right that it certainly exacerbates a poor D).Β 

7 minutes ago, WilberMarshall said:

Reid is the winningest coach in Eagles history and famously never ran the ball. Β 
Β 

It doesn’t matter what you do as long as you do it well.Β 
Β 

Though the rules right now favor the passing game.Β 

• Thumb up 1

Man the chickens have really come home to roost for Ron and everything he has "built".Β  He will never get another head coaching gig in the NFL again after this.Β  It truly sucks it had to end this way for him...I mean he's a decent human being...just not a good football mind anymore.