Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

😀😀 Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.😀😄

88Comrade2000

5 hours ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

You can cross Johnson off the list, he said he has no interest in coaching a mess of a franchise and he does not care that Redskins have a new owner either

Mind being a sweetheart and telling the rest of us undeserving peasants where you got this Nostradamus-like prediction from?

Nowhere that I, and I'm sure others, seen or read has suggested this. In fact, it's been quite the opposite as many reports have us as an attractive destination. 

So, please enlighten the masses here as to where Johnson has said this alleged train wreck is something he chooses not to look at.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

HTTR!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

18 hours ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

You can cross Johnson off the list, he said he has no interest in coaching a mess of a franchise and he does not care that Redskins have a new owner either

That's good news. It would be a shame for Johnson to go to the Redskins when he could be coaching the Commies instead. Going down to the high school level to coach a Redskins team would be a unique move, so I understand Johnson not pursuing it.

• Haha 6

We've all mostly accepted that Ron is here until the day after the final game. Last week being when they finally dumped Jack (about 6 weeks to a year too late), this week might be a good one to dismiss a few front office guys. Mainly Jason Wright, Martin Mayhew, and Marty Hurney. They aren't going to be party of deciding anything in the future. I can't imagine they are helpful in the data Eugene Shen has been gathering for the future Team President and GM. There are a handful of others we don't talk about. Like Jean Medina who hasn't improved their communications much if at all.

51 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

We've all mostly accepted that Ron is here until the day after the final game. Last week being when they finally dumped Jack (about 6 weeks to a year too late), this week might be a good one to dismiss a few front office guys. Mainly Jason Wright, Martin Mayhew, and Marty Hurney. They aren't going to be party of deciding anything in the future. I can't imagine they are helpful in the data Eugene Shen has been gathering for the future Team President and GM. There are a handful of others we don't talk about. Like Jean Medina who hasn't improved their communications much if at all.

All I know is this , him staying these next few games has us at worst a top 5 pick and at best a  top 3 pick. Love Ron , respect what he “ tried “ to do especially surviving cancer but he has to go. Idk what happened to him in Carolina but he was never the same guy . So many questionable moves that could have changed the franchise , Tua , letting Kevin oconnel walk, ignoring the OL , ignoring linebackers lol, ignoring tight ends , ignoring LOGIC . 

1 hour ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

The boot is coming, but so are the @ss kickings.  It's an understood part of the deal

Someone mentioned us probably becoming the #2 pick . If that happens I can only imagine we go quarterback or trade back and get even a lot of valuable picks .

In Mike McDaniel, Josh Harris may have a blueprint for his coaching hire

Perspective by Barry Svrluga

Let’s assume Josh Harris spent the second half of the Miami Dolphins’ 45-15 dissection of his Washington Commanders looking away from the “action” and instead weighing who might be his next coach. At this point, how could he not? Given the scene Sunday, it’s so easy to imagine a scenario in which Harris looked across the field at Dolphins Coach Mike McDaniel with no small degree of envy and said, “Get me one of those.”

Sunday’s coaching matchup of McDaniel vs. Ron Rivera at FedEx Field was essentially unfair. One could teach the football version of differential calculus; the other struggles with basic addition. One masters three-dimensional chess; the other wrestles with tic-tac-toe.

All you need to know about how Sunday played out is that Rivera fired his defensive coordinator last week and took over play-calling himself, and it took McDaniel all of thee plays to get wideout Tyreek Hill — he of the fastest-in-the-league legs — in one-on-one coverage with rookie defensive back Quan Martin and the safety shaded to the wrong side.

Watch the clip of the ensuing 78-yard touchdown pass from Tua Tagovailoa to Hill, and it clearly and cleanly shows Hill beating Martin from the slot, a superior athlete excelling at his assignment against an overmatched opponent. But that play was less Hill over Martin than it was McDaniel over Rivera. The mismatch on the field was obvious. The mismatch on the sideline might be greater.

“That’s just us in preparation on Thursdays,” Hill said, referring to the day the Dolphins work on third down. “Our coaches, they do a good job of reminding us of certain looks.”

In everything the Dolphins did Sunday and are doing this season, you can feel the preparation. Tagovailoa saw the safety shading away from Hill. The quarterback locked eyes with his receiver: Adjust your route. Go for it.

“That was something that we discussed during the week,” McDaniel said. “And it was really in the hands of the quarterback to — if he thought Tyreek would have a shot on the slot fade — to adjust his route. … It was something we had kind of planned to have that option.”

This has got to be loads of fun for McDaniel, the Yale-educated, 40-year-old football savant who has at his disposal the talented Tagovailoa, the blazing Hill, third-year receiver Jaylen Waddle — Tagovailoa’s old teammate at Alabama — and a two-headed running back monster in Raheem Mostert and De’Von Achane. That combination is now 9-3 and averaging 32 points per game, just a smidgen behind Dallas for the top spot in the league.

“This offense is fun,” Tagovailoa said. “I think any offense is fun when you’re scoring a lot of points.”

Wonder what that’s like.

Miami is a threat to put up video game numbers every time it steps on the field. That’s because of the excessive talent at the skill positions and Tagovailoa’s maturation as a quarterback, sure. But it’s also because of the guy with the joystick. He is fortunate enough to have uncommon speed at his disposal. He is smart enough to use it, and do so creatively.

...So the logical names that could become the next McDaniel include Ben Johnson, the 37-year-old offensive coordinator in Detroit, and Bobby Slowik, the 36-year-old who’s in his first year as an OC in Houston. Interview them both, but don’t stop there. Change is needed, and badly. But it’s not change for change’s sake. The Dolphins are having a blast growing and exploding under McDaniel. There should be a way to replicate that in Washington.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/12/03/ron-rivera-mike-mcdaniel/

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No one I’ve caught is arguing otherwise. Judging by leaks that’s what they intend to do but that doesn’t mean we can’t think of HC possibilities for our own entertainment 

Smith would be a good hire for HC.  

Gotta get out of the mode of hiring HCs simply because they took the elevator to the office with Boy Wonder or Kyle. Miami's offense is a McDaniel offense, and it's beautiful. He's holding back too. Wait til the playoffs this time. Gonna be nasty. It's the Norv /Wannstedt thing all over again. It was always JJ, not his coordinators.

2 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Gotta get out of the mode of hiring HCs simply because they took the elevator to the office with Boy Wonder or Kyle. Miami's offense is a McDaniel offense, and it's beautiful. He's holding back too. Wait til the playoffs this time. Gonna be nasty. It's the Norv /Wannstedt thing all over again. It was always JJ, not his coordinators.

don't know about Frank one way another but there is a lot more to his story than just being some dude who works for the dolphins.  Articles have been posted here about how much he is involved with that offense, how his people skills are off the charts and Mcdaniels raves about what he's done to help that team. 

1 minute ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think it’s important that we separate being a coach of a good offensive scheme and being a good HC candidate. They aren’t always the same thing. There’s a lot more to being a HC than just calling the plays.

Agree.  Personality-leadership skills in the mix but that's part of his hype.  Ditto for Ben Johnson.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

6 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Arthur Smith was this dude too, a few years ago. A good GM can sift through the noise 

I've associated Arthur Smith as being old school.  Titans run the ball, control the clock.  He brought some of that with him to Atlanta.

That's definitely not the same school that Frank Smith helps runs that offense.  I'll grant his last name is the same though as Arthur. 

As for Arthur's personality, i don't know.  I do know watching him on the sidelines he comes off high strung and not the most together guy, but that's a small sample of games I've watched.

Agree, the GM can sort though it.   I don't know about Frank Smith.  But I don't throw names here of guys just based on their association to good teams and just that alone.   Frank has been talked about on and off on different threads for reasons beyond that. 

As far personality-leadership skills, I used to play that up more.  While I liked Kyle as a playcaller, I wondered about whether he had the personality to be a good HC -- he's known to be high strung and also a dude without the best people skills.  I was wrong about that.  I was agnostic about McDaniel for similar reasons.  He came off like a weird dude to me.  I see a lot of the Dolphin interviews where i am at, and he comes off a bit weird.  So I thought it could go either way with him.  He was clearly a good play caller.  But I wondered if he came off like a leader of men?  But clearly he's a good coach.

• Like 1