Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Edit: Getting a full-sized SUV instead

Skinsfan1311

I'm keeping the Silverado, until the wheels fall off, (hauling mulch, firewood, dirt, etc.),  but it's time to buy a new vehicle.

I'm hoping to keep it ~ the $50K range, (that hurt my cheap-ass just to type that).   I would appreciate any tips, comments, or opinions.

Thanks!   

*Job is only a few miles away and I work remotely most of the time anyway.  

Edited by Skinsfan1311
Changed my damn mind

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If you are in the $50k range, you should consider buying a 2-3 year old truck coming off a lease. 

Used car prices these days kill that dream though. Better to take the more favorable financing deals for new imo. I have an 2021 F150 lariat hybrid with a 7.2kw generator and absolutely love it. That said, the Rams are really nice and would have been a strong consideration for me if my wife didn’t have a bad experience with brand from 15+yr ago. You’ll probably notice a more comfortable ride in the Rams due to their rear coil springs, and if you aren’t towing serious weight on a regular basis the trade offs won’t impact you. 

• Like 1

I've got a GMC Canyon, 4-door.  It's a 5-cylinder with a few quirks (was actually given to my husband by his company when he used to travel a lot) and I'll do anything to keep from having a payment now.   It's a great truck, really...the bed is just a little shorter than a full-size, but I like it.  I'm really short and it's very comfortable to drive.  

• Like 2

• Skinsfan1311 changed the title to Edit: Getting a full-sized SUV instead

Thanks, everyone.

After a lot of discussion,  and figuring out our needs, we're getting an SUV instead.  

We've owned a couple over the years, (Hyundai Santa Fe), and currently own a 2009 Honda CR-V.

Just starting to research them.

We want a mid-to-large vehicle. Comfort and a quiet ride are paramount.

Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks, everyone.

After a lot of discussion,  and figuring out our needs, we're getting an SUV instead.  

We've owned a couple over the years, (Hyundai Santa Fe), and currently own a 2009 Honda CR-V.

That's what I love about my truck, it's got a full back seat for groceries & people...gonna get one of those rollover bed covers soon to help eliminate some drag and get better gas mileage.  I only drive about 10 miles a day and never get over 45mph, so I'm sure it'll help. 

Hyundai's warranty is pretty cool...and they usually come with S/XM radio, which is why I specify them when renting one to come home to VA.  ( 🤟 Hair Nation) 

Good choice, either way. 

11 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks, everyone.

Buick Enclave. My wife has one, and in 5 years it hasn't had a single problem. The nicest car (SUV) I've ever had. 

• Like 2

If you can hold out another 12 months I would. Used car market is outrageous. For a new car you have to wait for one to arrive and pay over MSRP. Rumors are that the chip shortage is easing and prices will start to fall in the next 6-12months

• Like 1

When prices get back to normal we're going to be getting either a mid sized SUV or a mini van.

Every time we travel with the whole fam we rent mid sized SUVs and they are a really great size and drive nicely.  I don't even remember the exact ones we've rented but it's usually something different.  From Kia (Sorrento maybe?) to CRV to RAV-4 to some Hyundai - I have enjoyed them all.

And then one summer our friend let us borrow her minivan.  I think it was a Honda Odyssey and damn it was very comfortable for 4 of us to drive with a buncha **** 8 hours to North Carolina.

I'm also so over premium gas.  My wife and I both have Infiniti's that take premium and it's killing me lol.  I don't plan on getting rid of my car though and we'll probably have 3 cars just in case, because my car is being driven into the ground and I'd probably get a few grand for it, maybe.  But we'll see when the time comes.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 1

Depending on brand you can save a lot of money by ordering one. 

Some brands won’t do that but my buddy is looking at a Branco and someone else did the same thing. Saved significantly over the sticker price on the cars on the lot. 

but you do have to wait for it to show up which is many months. 

but you’re keeping the truck so… save the money + get exactly what you want. 

• Like 2

I have a 98 Tahoe and I like it. I bought it to tow my camper. If I was going to buy something new, I'd get another or a midsize one. I like the Hyundai Santa Fe or Tucson. I like that I sit up high in my Tahoe. If I drive 20 miles a week that's a lot. 

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I'm also so over premium gas.  My wife and I both have Infiniti's that take premium and it's killing me lol.  I don't plan on getting rid of my car though and we'll probably have 3 cars just in case, because my car is being driven into the ground and I'd probably get a few grand for it, maybe.  But we'll see when the time comes.

Yeah, I had to put Amoco Ultimate in my Subaru wagon...the first time I put cheap gas in it, it sputtered and carried on...took a freaky guitarist to say, "Mary, other than bad gas, I can't find an issue"...that's when I found out that the former owners *my massage therapist's parents* had only put that one brand of gas in it for forever, so I went forward with that, but it didn't cost near what it does now.  I stick with mid-grade now, because the truck has 146,000 and some change on it, but I go for the full-on oil because it's necessary.  Keeping the tires inflated properly and air filter clean here in Gotham is super important too. 

1 minute ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I have a 98 Tahoe and I like it. I bought it to tow my camper. If I was going to buy something new, I'd get another or a midsize one. I like the Hyundai Santa Fe or Tucson. I like that I sit up high in my Tahoe. 

Yeah.  I like the Hyundais, if I were to buy something it would either be the Santa Fe or the new Kona...there's a wild iridescent purple one I see all the time, and I like the color.  But I couldn't imagine sitting down low in my Monte Carlo anymore.  I like the truck.  :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, just654 said:

If you can hold out another 12 months I would. Used car market is outrageous. For a new car you have to wait for one to arrive and pay over MSRP. Rumors are that the chip shortage is easing and prices will start to fall in the next 6-12months

It’s going to be 2024 before the chip crisis is over and that’s only if China hasn’t invaded Taiwan, where a lot of the chips are made.

If you want to buy a new car, if you can wait until 24, I’d wait. Heck, I’d wait until the fall of 2024, when the 25’s will be out.

• Like 1

If you keep the SUV long enough, best bang for the buck full size SUV is either the Tahoe or Suburban with the diesel. We replaced my wife's Wrangler Unlimited last year, if I could have found a Tahoe with the diesel for a decent price I would have gone that route. We ended up with the Atlas not my first choice but it's her car and she loves it. 

But, that depends on if you really want the full size vs. a mid size. Technically the full size SUVs being sold right now are, Tahoe, Suburban, Expedition, Expedition Max, Sequoia, Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer. 

4 hours ago, GoCommiesGo said:

If you keep the SUV long enough, best bang for the buck full size SUV is either the Tahoe or Suburban with the diesel. We replaced my wife's Wrangler Unlimited last year, if I could have found a Tahoe with the diesel for a decent price I would have gone that route. We ended up with the Atlas not my first choice but it's her car and she loves it. 

But, that depends on if you really want the full size vs. a mid size. Technically the full size SUVs being sold right now are, Tahoe, Suburban, Expedition, Expedition Max, Sequoia, Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer. 

Thanks!

Yeah....I should have stated mid-size.

The rust on.my 2007 Silverado has soured me on GM.  That's a shame, because I used to own a '73 Monte Carlo, and it lasted for years.

I'm leaning towards a Kia Telluride or a Hyundai Pallisade.  We owned a Santa Fe, years ago, and it was Mrs Skinsfans favorite vehicle. The current model seems nice, but it's a little smaller than what we're looking for.

40 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks!

Yeah....I should have stated mid-size.

The rust on.my 2007 Silverado has soured me on GM.  That's a shame, because I used to own a '73 Monte Carlo, and it lasted for years.

I'm leaning towards a Kia Telluride or a Hyundai Pallisade.  We owned a Santa Fe, years ago, and it was Mrs Skinsfans favorite vehicle. The current model seems nice, but it's a little smaller than what we're looking for.

The only thing I will say about the Kia's is you need to watch the dealer you are working with. I've heard nightmare stories about Kia dealers doing any type of warranty work.

We looked at the Telluride and Palisade, inventory was ridiculously low and the only ones available had 10K markups. Very nice vehicles, good luck on your search.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GoCommiesGo said:

The only thing I will say about the Kia's is you need to watch the dealer you are working with. I've heard nightmare stories about Kia dealers doing any type of warranty work.

We looked at the Telluride and Palisade, inventory was ridiculously low and the only ones available had 10K markups. Very nice vehicles, good luck on your search.  

Thanks!     I'm afraid that's what's going to happen.  I don't want one bad enough to pay that kind of markup.  I can wait.

• Like 1