Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

38 minutes ago, KDawg said:

No.

He returned kicks in college. He didn't take handoffs and run between the tackles on a down to down basis.

Yeah I'm still a bit baffled at how a team drafted a college WR who occasionally ran on gadget plays, immediately forced him into an every down between the tackles running back role in the NFL, and then are consistently surprised when the results aren't optimal.

Same **** with Jamin Davis. They took a raw athletic freak who seemed to have basically been custom made in a Will linebacker factory, and immediately forced him into a Mike backer role...and then people are surprised when he struggled.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, skins4eva said:

I dont know how i feel about taking Gibson who has an uncorrected fumbling problem, and putting him on STs as a returner. Sounds like a disaster.

He wont even tough the ball 90% of the time on the KR team anyways. Just about everything is a touchback now. 

1 hour ago, skins4eva said:

I dont know how i feel about taking Gibson who has an uncorrected fumbling problem, and putting him on STs as a returner. Sounds like a disaster.

Someone mentioned that it seems his fumble problems seemed to be when he was more in the middle of the field and pushing into the line? Perhaps him being in space and not directly running into a wall on returns will help?

Sorry KDAWG didn't realize you already made this point.

Edited by Chris 44
  • Like 3

Those wanting to cut or trade AG, what are you going to do the first time McKiss, or BRob cough up the rock or go down with a "knock on wood" boo-boo?

Kinda nice having a 1000+ yd playmaker on the team, and if he turns our spec teams into something special, well now that would be special.

He has a place in the offense as well. Line him and BRob in the back field and release him into the flat while BRob blocks or creates diversion.

To hand him the ball and ask him to pound between the tackles is a waste.

The only trade to be considered is AG and Payne for Roquan straight up.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1

Couple things.

On Davis, I think they may be hiding him a little in the defense.  By this I mean, there putting him in on passing downs where they know he will excel.  This will help his confidence over all and there keeping the run game simple, by having him attack downhill and Holcomb strafing over top for tackles.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Jamin has a very solid year.  He really looked more decisive in that preseason game and his explosion showed.

Darrick Forrest.  This guy is stout.  I think a solid replacement for Kam if (god forbid) anything happens.  Perhaps Forrest and Butler alternate buffalo nickel, Forrest on more running downs and Butler on more obvious passing downs.  

8 hours ago, TheShredder said:

We needed a QB, so it does prevent you from affecting real change as the problem is occupying that position. Then it's hard to give up on a 1st rounder, so that hurts the whole team. Seems like there's a better way to get players up to NFL speed and not hurt the whole team. Got to win on those picks or it's an organization setback.

First round QBs have somewhere about a 50% bust rate. I've gone through it before, and the higher the pick, the less likely the bust, but it never gets above 1/3 bust.  

Sure, you want to hit on your first round picks. You want to hit on all of them.  But the simple fact is no organization does.  The difference between now and a number of years ago is you can consider the pick a "sunk cost"  and move on and try again the next year.  When Bradford was drafted #1 overall, he signed a HUGE contract that basically was double-jeopardy:  You spend the pick AND you are in cap hell.  At least part II isn't applicable anymore is all I'm saying.  

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't want to trade Payne, but if they say yes, do you think we can throw Heinkicke in anyway?

I would absolutely trade Payne for a 2nd if the offer came through, though that's probably not going to happen since pretty much everyone knows we're probably not going to extend him and this is the last year of his contract. No way we'd get a 1st because he's not much of a pass rusher and those are the guys who get the premium, not run stuffers.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Gibson has trade bait written all over him if BRob is gonna be the lead back and if they like Jonathon Williams to make the team. It wouldn't surprise me if we're taking calls on him and move him for a LB. When is he up for a new contract...that could be a factor as well. I'm not giving up on him but BRob was drafted for a reason....to play.

Yeah, I kinda hope they move him. He hasn't developed the way we were hoping. And I'm not really surprised. He is not a between the tackles guy. I'm really glad we retained JDMK now. I wasn't at first. 

If you can get Roquan for a package that includes AG, I'd certainly be interested. 

I'd probably even trade AG straight up for Damien Harris. Sounds like both could use a change of scenery. 

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't want to trade Payne, but if they say yes, do you think we can throw Heinkicke in anyway?

Once Howell is established, maybe, but lets say CW trips over waterbottle during kick-off and breaks his wrist in 42 places, do you really want Howell to be backed up by anyone but TH?

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I would absolutely trade Payne for a 2nd if the offer came through, though that's probably not going to happen since pretty much everyone knows we're probably not going to extend him and this is the last year of his contract. No way we'd get a 1st because he's not much of a pass rusher and those are the guys who get the premium, not run stuffers.

You know I was just making a Heinicke joke, right?

1 minute ago, Jbird7 said:

Once Howell is established, maybe, but lets say CW trips over waterbottle during kick-off and breaks his wrist in 42 places, do you really want Howell to be backed up by anyone but TH?

If we lose Wentz and then Howell goes down, we can just trade for Shane Buechele and see what happens to @KDawg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We wouldn't really get good value out of Gibson. All the weaknesses we see, you don't think paid professional football people don't see them too? We'd be lucky to be offered a conditional 5th. Better to keep a guy who is young, has some talent, and is still on a rookie contract(people don't seem to grasp how valuable those are).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Great Draft Class? Doesn't Matter: Rookies Rarely Have an Immediate Impact

Roughly two-thirds of all drafted players will be buried on benches, relegated to practice squads or outright released.

It makes all of our draft grading sound a little bit silly, doesn't it?

Somebody needs to tattoo this on Thor's forehead.

Hulk Punching Thor GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You know I was just making a Heinicke joke, right?

If we lose Wentz and then Howell goes down, we can just trade for Shane Buechele and see what happens to @KDawg

Literally the best idea I've heard pretty much ever.

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to Derrick Forrest just now on 980, good interview, well spoken guy and enthusaistic.  The main thing I liked is I recall an interview after he was drafted where he labeled himself a special teams guy first and seemed to waffle when asked if he can play FS.  This time he said he's comfortable everywhere on the field.

Isn't he the guy who says "gotcha" all the time? I think JP nicknamed him "Gotcha."  

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

I think its dumb they asked him about his Twitter at this point. Let it go. The media here is ass sometimes. 

The media here is ass a lot.  But they have spoken into existence that it's not a hard media market, and since they control the narrative, few people believe how ass it actually is.  

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Gibson has trade bait written all over him if BRob is gonna be the lead back and if they like Jonathon Williams to make the team. It wouldn't surprise me if we're taking calls on him and move him for a LB. When is he up for a new contract...that could be a factor as well. I'm not giving up on him but BRob was drafted for a reason....to play.

I said this before: there is no team in the NFL who is trading a half eaten ham sandwich for a RB who has vision and fumbling problems.  Somebody challenged me, and I said a team would rather eat sand than trade for Gibson.  He's not trade bait.  He has zero value to anybody because he can't hit the hole, shuffles his feet, and fumbles.  

He's on the roster until he's released or re-signed.  I think this might be his last year on the roster unless he finds a role he is exceptional at.  

• Like 2