Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 UDFA Signings Tracker/Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, UK Mitch said:

Anyone know anything about Armani Rogers? Looks a beast 

Could only find QB highlights.  Apparently I believe he made his debut at TE at the East Shrine Bowl

Ohio 2022 NFL Draft Scouting Reports

It wasn’t without success either for Rogers. He had a great week of practices in a tight end group that stood out. Rogers wasn’t the best out there, but his upside is incredibly intriguing.

He’s a big man with a great catch radius. Rogers also worked his way open, and no one will ever question his ability to understand coverages.

Aside from Rogers, RB De’Montre Tuggle will also look to carry on Ohio’s NFL legacy. Tuggle, a longtime Bobcat, led the team with 804 rushing yards and 7 touchdowns this past season. Combined, Tuggle and Rogers had 14 of the team’s 20 rushing touchdowns this past season.

TE Armani Rogers

Positives: Athletic, strong-armed passer who projects to tight end in the NFL. Possesses a next-level build and mobility. Easily moves around the pocket and takes off upfield carrying the ball. Resilient, works hard, and gives effort.

Negatives: Never developed as a passer. Throws were all over the place. Went from a starter at UNLV to a rotational quarterback at Ohio.

Analysis: Rogers is a prospect I scouted since his sophomore season at UNLV. And although he’s not a signal-caller for the next level, he may have a home at tight end. He possesses the athleticism and physical skills necessary for the position, but he must go from throwing the ball to catching it.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/ohio-2022-nfl-draft-scouting-reports-armani-rogers-demontre-tuggle/

When you think of the list of former quarterbacks that turned into NFL tight ends over the last 10-15 years, the list is relatively short. Players like Chiefs’ tight ends Travis Kelce and Blake Bell, both of whom are Super Bowl champions, and former Florida quarterbacks Jordan Reed and Trey Burton come to mind. All of those players, though, made the transition during college and spent at least one year playing the position.

Former Ohio and UNLV quarterback Armani Rogers is trying to accomplish a feat few have been able to do, by switching to a position he has never played in his career: tight end. The talented dual threat quarterback rushed for more than 2,000 yards in his five-year career between Ohio and UNLV, in addition to throwing for nearly 3,000 yards, he is an excellent athlete with impressive size, measuring in at 6’5” and 226 pounds.

Down at the East-West Shrine Bowl, Rogers played tight end and turned some heads with his raw natural talent. Although he never played a snap or down as a tight end, he looked just as fluid and natural as others catching the football and getting open.

Now, as he prepares for the NFL Draft cycle, Rogers has built a foundational skill set that gave NFL personnel a taste of what he could bring to their team. But how did he get here? What sparked the position change? Sitting down with Rogers himself, he describes his journey from being the son of a former NFL player to being on the cusp of entering the NFL himself.

NFL Bloodlines in Family

Initially born in Buffalo, New York, Armani Rogers got an early taste of what life is like as a son of an NFL player. His father, former Buffalo Bills, San Diego Chargers and Atlanta Falcons linebacker, Sam Rogers, played in the NFL for 10 years, recording 30 career sacks and nine forced fumbles. His career certainly had an affect on Rogers and his family, spending his early years of life Buffalo, then spending a year in San Diego and Atlanta each, before settling in on the west coast in Los Angeles.

As alluded to near the beginning, Armani Rogers would make a life altering decision for his NFL outlook: despite having never played the position, he was going to transition to tight end. When you watch him run, it was evident that he’s a physical player and elusive with the ball in his hands. Not to mention the size/weight build as well. As far-fetched as it seemed, Rogers transitioning to tight end made a lot of sense.

For Rogers, he says the decision was made with his family, agent, and scouts, who all thought his athleticism could shine at this new position.

“I felt like I could go out there, with my athleticism, and go out and compete at a high level at any position. [I] just had to put the effort into it…I’ve been training my butt off playing tight end, trying to master my craft in the short amount of time I did have before the all-star game…that was the biggest thing, trying to master everything,” Rogers affirmed.

It was a month and a half out from the East-West Shrine week when Rogers made the decision. Most of his training came from working out on his own, and with his dad, who gave him tips on how to use nuance and footwork to create separation as a tight end from his linebacker perspective at the NFL level.

Fast forward to day one of the East-West Shrine practices, and Rogers immediately makes an impact, catching several passes in both 7 on 7 drills, one on ones against safeties and linebackers, and in the team drills. By the end of the first day, TDN’s Brentley Weissman labeled him as a winner from the first day of practices.

By day two, I was fully invested in his skillset. The natural movement skills, threatening with long speed, and soft hands were incredible for a player who never had a single live rep before the week at the tight end position, yet he was already impressing at this new position. In fact, I ended up doing a full breakdown of what I saw from Rogers and how he suddenly should be on NFL team's radars.

https://www.bluechipscouting.com/nfl-draft-articles-1/2022/2/6/armani-rogers-full-circle-college-career-began-at-quarterback-ended-as-tight-end

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Watched some Curtis Hodges, 2 games.  It reaffirmed my draft crush for Rachaad White.  But as for Hodges, I really like him, I am surprised he went below the radar of the draft community.

He's a good blocker both as a pass protector and run blocker.  He can be a bit sloppy on that front, but he is a willing blocker and at times people mover.   He's not on John Fitzpatrick's level as far as 2nd level blocks but he's up there as one of the more fun watches of TEs who motor down the field.  He gets open especially up the middle/seam routes.  Sometimes quick screens where he motors for YAC.  He is fesity with the ball in his hands and you need mutliple guys to bring him down.  Good hands, too.  Tall with a great catch radius. 18.7 YPC.

Love that Logan Paulsen loves him, hoping the lack of passion part is wrong.  The irony is he plays with verve and oomph that if anything he comes off like a dude who plays with extra passion.  I don't think its crazy that he makes this roster. Will see.  

Our new TE coach has some clay to work with and some good clay at that.  Actually, maybe I should go further and say that he already been molded and needs the final touches put on him so he can be put into the kiln.

• Like 2

The Pro Football Network scouting report isn't worth the bites of data it takes up.

"Never [developing] as a passer" is not a negative for a projected tight end. That is like saying that while Mathis has an explosive first step, he does not have the speed to play free safety.

Edited by CTskins
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Sammis Reyes has some very serious competition. Gonna be interesting battles in camp.

How many TEs do we keep? Do we keep an extra but consider him a WR and keep 1 less WR on the roster?

Cole Turner seems more like a big slot Marques Colston than a TE to me, and seems like he was we plan B to taking Drake London in the 1st. I can see Turner contributing in the Red Zone very early on.

Does Logan start the year on PUP/IR?

Seems like most if not all wouldn't make it to the practice squad without being poached. Bates is an obvious lock.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Sammis Reyes has some very serious competition. Gonna be interesting battles in camp.

How many TEs do we keep? Do we keep an extra but consider him a WR and keep 1 less WR on the roster?

Cole Turner seems more like a big slot Marques Colston than a TE to me, and seems like he was we plan B to taking Drake London in the 1st. I can see Turner contributing in the Red Zone very early on.

Does Logan start the year on PUP/IR?

Seems like most if not all wouldn't make it to the practice squad without being poached. Bates is an obvious lock.

Gandy, Reyes are both in trouble.  You could say that Cole Turner is your WR on the roster taking the place of London since we couldn't draft him because of his hands like London has.  Just some possibilities. 

• Thumb up 1

I think we probably keep 10 WR/TE total. So yeah I think the Turner pick should probably make the AGG/Harmon/Reyes crew all nervous. 

Milne feels pretty bubble-y too with the Dotson pick as well as the UDFA Ezzard who I think could end up being really intriguing in the Deandre Carter role. 

• Thumb up 1

Hey did anyone see that we picked up Stephen Davis Jr?  Yes that Stephen Davis.  I am friends with Mr. Davis on Facebook, and he posted to his son, proud of you, all you need is a chance, what you do with it is up to you.  HTTC and it was a picture of his kid and the W logo.

ST Jr.jpg

Edited by Shakazullo21
added back up photo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Shakazullo21 said:

Hey did anyone see that we picked up Stephen Davis Jr?  Yes that Stephen Davis.  I am friends with Mr. Davis on Facebook, and he posted to his son, proud of you, all you need is a chance, what you do with it is up to you.  HTTC and it was a picture of his kid and the W logo.

ST Jr.jpg

Interesting story. Apparently he signed with Auburn and then quit. Then he signed with S.Carolina and then quit.  Then he changed from RB to LB and went to a smaller school in NC. I think he's being given a chance based solely as a favor to his father.

Edited by bowhunter
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Shakazullo21 said:

ST Jr.jpg

christ...has that much time already passed? i feel so old now...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

Don't know if this has been posted but.

That’s our CMC. Kidding, mostly. Big Delaware fan. He was really fun to watch.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 9:37 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Could only find QB highlights.  Apparently I believe he made his debut at TE at the East Shrine Bowl

https://www.bluechipscouting.com/nfl-draft-articles-1/2022/2/6/armani-rogers-full-circle-college-career-began-at-quarterback-ended-as-tight-end

Is it just me that thinks he looks extremely slow in that clip.....then realize he is actually pulling away from DB's?

• Like 2

Navy CB Michael McMorris has been given a rookie camp try out invitation.  I can't get the article, I don't have a subscription, but it is posted in the Capital Gazette.  

EDIT - Found a different article by Navy Sports confirming.

https://navysports.com/news/2022/5/4/football-michael-mcmorris-invited-to-rookie-free-agent-camp-by-the-washington-commanders.aspx

Edited by Shakazullo21
found a link
  • Thanks 1

5ft 8" - 180lbs - Slot Corner?

He excelled at Navy Pro Day, showing outstanding explosiveness with a 38 1/2 -inch vertical leap and 10-foot, 9-inch broad jump. The Georgia native has run the 40-yard dash in 4.52 seconds

McMorris was Navy's top cover corner for his final three seasons and routinely matched up against wide receivers that went on to play in the NFL. That list includes the likes of James Proche (SMU, Baltimore Ravens), Marquez Stevenson (Houston, Buffalo Bills) Antonio Gibson (Memphis, Washington Commanders) and Gabriel Davis (Central Florida, Bills).

Edit: could see this dude being the fan favorite training camp story. Reminds me of "the people's corner"

Edited by Forever A Redskin
  • Like 1

Petrishen is an intriguing tryout. Tested through the roof at his pro day and I mentioned him in the draft thread.

• Height: 6-foot-0 7/8
  • Weight: 227 pounds
  • Hands: 8 1/2 inch
  • Arm: 30 1/2 inch 
  • Wingspan: 74 1/4 inch
  • Bench: 20 reps
  • Vertical: 38 1/2 inches
  • Long Jump: 10 feet
  • 40 Time: 4.55
  • Three Cone: 6.97
  • Shuttle: 4.18

Edited by Forever A Redskin
  • Like 1

Seems the main knock on him is his age. Played for like 6 or 7 seasons somehow across two schools. Kid has a crazy story. Loved by teammates it seems.

Him and Mikey McMorris are my two way too early picks to stick with the team.

Rooting for JP and Drew from Notre Dame to be good because we need LBs badly.