Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 UDFA Signings Tracker/Discussion Thread

43 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

In the case of will Adams, seems odd that they try out a udfa and then sign him to a 3 year deal.  If they signed him to a one year deal, they would still be able to retain him via erfa or rfa correct?  Did will Adams have such a strong market that his agent convinced them Adams needed a multi year deal or he would sign elsewhere?  Only time I recall seeing a multi year deal for a udfa was la'el Collins, who was a first round talent who went undrafted due to criminal accusations.  Strange.

3 year deal is standard for all non 1st or 2nd round rookies

6 hours ago, method man said:

3 year deal is standard for all non 1st or 2nd round rookies

Thanks, I never realized that.  I thought they were signed to one year deals, then brought back as rfa or erfa until 4 years had passed and they either signed an LTD or hit FA.  

Hopefully we struck gold on one or two of these UDFAs.

• Like 1

As I've mentioned I liked a lot of what I saw from Hodges when i watched him after they signed him, so I am jazzed about this

One source told All Sun Devils that Hodges also had strong interest from the 49ers before landing in Washington. 

Here's his draft profile from NFL.com:

"Pass-catching tight end with intriguing blend of length and athleticism. Hodges' failure to live up to his potential at Arizona State was partially due to a slew of nagging injuries that kept him off the field. He's a legitimate seam threat with open-field separation speed and an expansive catch radius but he will need to improve as a route runner and blocker to be viewed as an NFL tight end. Hodges' injury history will be a concern, but his athletic traits and size could make him a candidate for a practice squad."

Hodges played in 41 career games at Arizona State, catching 36 passes for 601 yards and four touchdowns last season over a 12-game span. Hodges earned honorable mention All-Pac-12 honors for his play.

He was also awarded the Levi Jones "Most Improved Player" award by Sun Devils head coach Herm Edwards following a strong 2021 season that saw Hodges emerge as a strong blanket of security and red-zone target for Arizona State. 

Now, Hodges joins a Commanders roster with five other tight ends, most notably led by Logan Thomas. A source close to the situation said Washington had Hodges graded fairly highly for a Day-3 selection but was confident they would be able to sign him after the draft.

Time will tell if he will be able to be productive at the NFL level, but at least Hodges has his opportunity.

• Like 7

On 5/16/2022 at 11:39 AM, NickyJ said:

Would Jordan be the first ex-Panthers player to be outright released and not just wait for him to retire or have his contract expire?

We released Cam Newton before we signed him, so I think he's first. 

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

@Thinking Skins you love those UDFAs, this right now is my bet if I had to pick one

It's funny. I was listening to Logan Paulsen and he was excited about him. I'm pulling for then all because Bates and  Thomas performed well. Then we have as bunch of lower round guys. It's exciting because these TEs could be a deep group. I'm thinking Reyes has a challenge to make the roster, or even the practice squad. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

It's funny. I was listening to Logan Paulsen and he was excited about him. I'm pulling for then all because Bates and  Thomas performed well. Then we have as bunch of lower round guys. It's exciting because these TEs could be a deep group. I'm thinking Reyes has a challenge to make the roster, or even the practice squad. 

Shouldn't be that hard to make the practice squad (assuming he isn't claimed), but Reyes does have to take a step (or even a leap) forward in 2022 to make the 53. It's asking a lot for a guy that has no football experience. And there's also AGG and Armani Rogers as upside plays. It's an interesting group and certainly the hope is one or two of these projects hit.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 3:17 PM, Thinking Skins said:

Yeah Paulsen is what drew my attention to him.  I watched a ton of TEs for this draft but he wasn't one of them.  But Paulsen's comments are what prompted me to watch him.  He's a real fluid receiver, decent blocker too, and clearly he has good size.

I'll admit though the TE spot is really tricky as for guessing college to the NFL.  And a lot of them take time. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah Paulsen is what drew my attention to him.  I watched a ton of TEs for this draft but he wasn't one of them.  But Paulsen's comments are what prompted me to watch him.  He's a real fluid receiver, decent blocker too, and clearly he has good size.

I'll admit though the TE spot is really tricky as for guessing college to the NFL.  And a lot of them take time. 

The thing is, I think there's little to no pressure in these guys because they're not expected to be stars. They're all low draft guys who are just scraping for bread. It's not even Thaddeus Moss level hype. It's really just guys playing ball and best player wins. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if Turner or AGG is cut for Hodges just based on play and practice alone, but then again they may be able to stash Hodges on the PS to develop.