Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Baltimore Orioles: New Owner, New Hope

DCSaints_fan

3 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

So we just need to win 1 of the next 4 vs. Boston?  

Or the Rays just need to lose 1 more game. But I'm tired of hoping other teams lose to make the damn postseason or win a division. Win and you're in, dammit!

Plus 1 more win gets them to 100 wins, so, c'mon. Just do that.

• Like 1

Orioles Magic Number update for September 28 (early edition)

1: AL home field advantage (Orioles have tiebreaker against Rays)

1: Win the AL East (Orioles have tiebreaker against Rays)

1: Clinch a Wild Card bye (Orioles have tiebreaker against Rays)

NOOOO CANADA: Eliminate the Blue Jays from winning the division

NAILED IT: Clinch a playoff appearance

DONE AND DONE: Eliminate the Red Sox from winning the division

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: Eliminate the Yankees from winning the division

• Like 3

Orioles Magic Number update (FINAL edition)

SEE YOU IN BALTIMORE: AL home field advantage [Sep 28, Game 159]

BYE: Clinch a Wild Card bye [Sep 28, Game 159]

KINGS OF THE EAST: Win the AL East [Sep 28, Game 159]

NOOOO CANADA: Eliminate the Blue Jays from winning the division [Sep 19, Game 151]

NAILED IT: Clinch a playoff appearance [Sep 17, Game 149]

DONE AND DONE: Eliminate the Red Sox from winning the division [Sep 12, Game 144]

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: Eliminate the Yankees from winning the division [Sep 9, Game 141]

Edited by balki1867
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

• DCSaints_fan changed the title to 2023 Baltimore Orioles: AL East Champions !
1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Awesome how many things came together at the same time tonight.

-win the div

-clinch the 1 seed

-100 wins

-schedule worked out so we were not handed the spot due to someone else losing

-The guy who kickstarted the rebuild on the bump

-At home

Kids earned this. What a year so far.

On a personal note, I left DC in 1998 for college and haven’t lived here since. By a crazy coincidence, I’m in town for a wedding this weekend. I landed at National at 6:30 and drove to my parents house in MD— the same house I grew up in. After dinner I got to watch the last few innings in the same living room where I watched the final weekend in 1989, Cal break Gehrig’s record in 1995 and Jeffrey Maier in 1996.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

What a season...I have to admit that I was telling my son coming into the year that I was expecting a bit of a regression because I felt they might have been a year ahead of schedule last year. Maybe that was my Norvitis setting in, I don't know. But I feel like baseball can work that way sometimes and isn't always linear. 

Anyway, I really hope they match or eclipse what they did in 2014...that team and 1997 are the best two teams I've ever seen before this season and neither one gave me a true sense that they were going to play in the Fall Classic. The nice thing about this team is that I can truly see a "next 5 years" regardless of how 2023 ends. 

• Like 3

The Orioles never had a losing month. They didn’t have a crazy win streak. They just kept grinding through series, 2/3 here and there. An occasional sweep and  a few1/3 salvage operations. Different players taking turns leading the way.  

They didn’t dominate the AL East - they just outlasted them. 

They found value in castoffs  -O’Hearn, Hicks, McCann, Fuji. They developed the kids on the fly. The organization made hard choices. And they used all 26 pieces like a puzzle only to shuffle and start again the next day. 

Someone may best our Birds in the playoffs. The baseball gods can be fickle and the best teams don’t always make it to the podium. But they have just a good a chance as anyone. And I can’t wait to see. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I loved that 8th inning, only because these guys could easily have just packed it in for the season and coasted into next Saturday, but they were still out there hustling and putting in all the effort to pick up a couple insurance runs.

Imagine being Tampa Bay this year:

-You win your first 13 games

-You have the 3rd best run differential in all of baseball, behind only Atlanta and LA, who are both in the NL

-You're on pace to finish just shy of 100 wins, possibly as high as 99

-You go 30-21 in the AL East

-You score the 4th most runs in MLB, and 2nd most in the AL

-Tied with LA for the best record at home

And you finish not as the division winner or #1 seed, but the top wildcard because the Baltimore ****ing Orioles are just better than you.

-Better record vs the AL East

-Better record in 1 run games

-Better record in Xtras

-Better record vs >.500 teams

-Beat your ass 8-5 during the season series

-They can't be reasoned with

-They can't be bargained with

-They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear

-They will not stop. Ever. Until you are eliminated.

Edited by GhostofSparta
  • Like 3

With the dodgers loss today, the Orioles wrap up the 2nd best record in the mlb and make tomorrow an officially meaningless game— of course I’ll be there :D

As far as I can tell, the 6 teams for both the NL and AL are set, but seeding isn’t.

In the NL, 1-4 are set as Atlanta, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, Philadelphia. Miami and Arizona will have the 5 and 6 seeds, but they are currently even at 84 wins. If Sunday ends with Arizona at 85 wins and Miami with 84, the marlins have to go to Detroit and finish a game that was suspended in the ninth with the marlins up 2-1. In any other circumstance the result of that Detroit game won’t matter so I’d assume the don’t play it.

in the AL, 1, 3, 4 are set as Baltimore, Minnesota and Tampa. For the 2 seed, if Houston catches up to Texas, Houston will be the 2 seed, Texas will be 5 and Toronto will be 6. If Houston doesn’t catch Texas then Texas is the 2 seed, and Toronto has the tiebreaker with Houston if they remain tied in the standings. 

Edited by balki1867