Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Brian Flores lawsuit

88Comrade2000

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Sure.

The conversation looks like he realizes he's talking to Flores. And when Flores questions it he goes back to read the text as if he's saying, "Huh... the guy is going to get the Giants job and he has no idea?" and then realizes the text he got about the Giants says Brian DABOLL, not Brian Flores.

I was commenting on this part of your post: "I suppose its possible he just texted the wrong Brian... but... does he not have last names in his phone? "

The guy I contract with and my daughter not only don't have the same last name, they don't have the same first name lol...if he had been texting with both Brians somewhat close together, it may be more an issue of muscle memory than anything. At least that's what it was with me.

Brian Flores’ Lawsuit Could Devastate the NFL Even If He Loses

On Tuesday, the first day of Black History Month, former Miami Dolphins head coach Brian Flores sued the NFL for racial discrimination. The groundbreaking class action lawsuit seeks to rectify decades of hiring discrimination in coaching positions throughout the league. Flores’ suit has received a lot of attention among sports fans because it contains several embarrassing bombshells, including Flores’ allegation that Dolphins owner Stephen Ross offered him $100,000 per loss to tank his first season and tried to get him to illicitly poach a top quarterback (Tom Brady according to one report) via an “accidental” meetup on Ross’ yacht.

Less attention has been paid to the legal challenges the case faces and how likely it is to succeed. Several labor and discrimination law experts, and one of Flores’ attorneys, say that Flores has some steep hurdles ahead. These experts also make clear that this lawsuit is by no means a publicity stunt. Indeed, whether or not Flores actually meets the high legal standards needed to prevail in court, the case is likely to expose the clear discrimination within the NFL’s hiring system that has produced as many current Black coaches as there have been Black presidents. It will also likely force open an embarrassing vault of secrets from white league owners and executives who have demonstrated quite explicit racism when previously forced into discovery by the legal system.

The claims in Flores’ lawsuit—while not necessarily enough on their own to prove discrimination—should be enough to reach some discovery phase in litigation, the experts told me. Flores may be able to substantiate his case by forcing league and team officials to produce documents and undergo depositions that could unearth embarrassing details about the league’s clearly flawed hiring practices. (The NFL, New York Giants, Ross, and Miami Dolphins have all issued various denials of Flores’ allegations.)

Click on the link for the full article

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 7:33 AM, Califan007TheConstipated said:

I was commenting on this part of your post: "I suppose its possible he just texted the wrong Brian... but... does he not have last names in his phone? "

The guy I contract with and my daughter not only don't have the same last name, they don't have the same first name lol...if he had been texting with both Brians somewhat close together, it may be more an issue of muscle memory than anything. At least that's what it was with me.

I dont put anything past old people and technology.  This kind of screw up seems entirely believable.

The NFL just told you what they think of their consumers. Apparently we’re dumb as rocks. The lip service this issue has been given is fundamentally ridiculous. They clearly couldn’t get any traction and now the Texans are retreading Lovie Smith. It’s pretty pathetic. 

The Rooney rule has been a sham for a long time. It’s time for a modern solution to what the problem is now. 

i don’t know how you dictate who an owner picks to run their team. Seems kind of a big decision.  i don’t know how you realistically incentivize it. 

i think it’s possible Flores was fired for not getting along with important people and I think an owner is within their right to bail on an idea when they see a better one. We talk about florres being a good coach with a decent record for the situation , but it doesn’t matter if the owner sees someone they think will be better. It’s just weird to square guy that hired black guy, is racist for firing black guy. 

dude should lose the team for the gambling and throwing games payments if true. 

the leagues biggest issue to me - you seem to be hiring a bunch of chumps everywhere there’s gotta be black dudes out there than can do better than some of these people…

how messed up is that to get paid into losing games. And then what? They just dump you after they get what they want? And your career is ruined cause you just look like you suck? Sweet deal…

at the end of the day I root against the league. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, tshile said:

It’s just weird to square guy that hired black guy, is racist for firing black guy.

I admit it's not the easiest sell, but I can justify that belief as follows:

You, as the owner, know your team is terrible overall. You need to rebuild badly, but don't really have the draft capital and cap space to make a quick turnaround. But despite that, there are a few real good players on your team. A couple of guys (players like Tunsil and Minkah, for example) can get you some real draft help to make the rebuild quicker at the cost of basically admitting to giving up on the current season to focus on the future. So you decide it's worth it to take some short term pain for some long term gain and gut your team to get several high draft picks over the next 2-3 years.

But here's the problem: you need a coach. And coaches don't tend to want to be the guy who willingly tanks a season because they, like the players, may not be around in 3-4 years when things get better for the team, and their careers are ruined by being part of "the worst NFL team" that year. So you need a "wink and nod" not on paper type agreement with whoever your HC is going to be that year that you, as the owner, are making the team bad on purpose and won't fire him for tanking because that's what you want. In fact, just to make sure you're on the same team, he'll give you some secret bonus money on the side for every loss to make sure that, as coach, he's putting his team in the best position to lose without being so blatantly obvious about it that the NFL has no choice but to look into it.

Now, I realize that absolutely none of the above makes an owner racist in any way/shape/form. But here's how I could see it being a racist act from the beginning:

As owner, you know this won't be popular, and you'll need a fall guy. Fans can be patient, but are often fickle. And not all fan bases put up with sustained losing. So it's a simple decision: you need a coach that you can hire specifically to fail, and to make sure you provide yourself some cover you intentionally hire a minority coach for no other reason than as a human shield to criticism. You think that there are too many opportunities for white coaches that none of them would take this potentially career killing spot, but there's only a handful of minority coaches so you could convince one of them that this might be their only shot. Now you've set up one of the few high-profile minority coaches to fail intentionally, and you know that he'll only last 2-3 years because no matter how good he is, he's not the guy you really want. You want a chump to fail for 2-3 years while you build a winner out of the pieces you've acquired during his tenure to lure in a better coach (either a failed NFL retread or the hot new college coach dujour). Boom, you just destroyed the career of a young minority coach on purpose, whether intending to be racist or not.

TL:DR-The Dolphins could have set up a black coach to intentionally fail in order to build a team to lure in a high profile white HC. Is it a stretch? Sure, but I'm not willing to exclude some of the thinking above knowing the habits and beliefs of some of the NFL owners.

Yeah you’re gonna need actual proof to get any momentum with that. 

The idea that they don’t mesh and that’s why he fired him, is way simpler and makes way more sense than a multi year fraud put in place so you could hire the black guy as a fall guy. 

im not saying it’s not possible. In fact, I wouldn’t even be surprised if that was the case. 

But you need evidence. 

• Like 1

It makes much more sense based on McDaniels reassurance of Tua here:  https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/.amp/news/miami-dolphins-coach-mike-mcdaniel-delivers-powerful-message-to-tua-tagovailoa

That the rumors are true that Flores and Tua didn't care for each other and maybe that Flores was fine going after Watson.

BTW, ghostofSparta that account is not impossible but errs in one key area.  Miami has a black GM, Grier. Why would you be ok with that but somehow not be at coach? 

Again, rumors and actual quotes I posted suggest Flores is a solid coach but not incredibly liked and perhaps not trusted by some players. But his firing seems to be because of a negative and hostile attitude towards Grier and Tua. Both minorities in their positions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Saw something about a kangaroo court….can someone please explain to me (without the sarcasm or jokes, please) what a kangaroo court is? 

It’s the idea of justice jumping over (kangaroo) or intentionally ignoring evidence basically. 

• Thanks 1