Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden: 1/20/21-1/20/22; Your first year grade

88Comrade2000

3 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

This is probably the take the average American has. It’s hard to say anyones life is actually better this year compared to two years ago.

That kind of take by the average American is why we keep getting the politicians we get.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

C-

Curved to a B-

He needs to do better about straight talking and expectation setting. Example - hey guys, getting out of Afghanistan isn’t going to be pretty, ending a war never is. We are meeting with the best war strategists to do our best. The past administration put things in motion we can’t stop. These terrorists are the worst of the bunch. God speed to our war fighters. 

he also needs to talk to the public less - he just isn’t good at it. 

While we are on the topic of grading - Kamala gets an incomplete! I mean, what school has she even transferred to?

16 minutes ago, bearrock said:

That kind of take by the average American is why we keep getting the politicians we get.

It's still up to Biden to know that and publicly shift his priorities to address it. He took way too long to do that.

It's totally fair to complain about raising prices vs not feeling positive impacts from the change in administration in our everyday lives. 

Us looking better overseas has how much impact on the average American's difficult dinner table decisions?  

49 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It's still up to Biden to know that and publicly shift his priorities to address it. He took way too long to do that.

It's totally fair to complain about raising prices vs not feeling positive impacts from the change in administration in our everyday lives. 

Us looking better overseas has how much impact on the average American's difficult dinner table decisions?  

My point was more that some things are simply beyond the government's control.  People oscillate between "stay out of my business" and "why isn't the government fixing my problem" as convenience suits them.

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

This is probably the take the average American has. It’s hard to say anyones life is actually better this year compared to two years ago.

Life better two years ago?  Hard to say.  Without my commute I have much more quality time with my children.  Hard to say if that’s a net positive or net negative.  But my net worth increased significantly this past year and my overall spending has reduced.

(I am thinking about expanding into the bootstraps market)

Child poverty has reduced 41% in the first year of the Biden administration.  So I give him a D- for that.

12 minutes ago, bearrock said:

My point was more that some things are simply beyond the government's control.  People oscillate between "stay out of my business" and "why isn't the government fixing my problem" as convenience suits them.

Perception is reality.

If Biden had talked about beating inflation the way he talked beating COVID (both battles he cant win without help), this would be a different conversation.

And yes, I do believe he could've focused more on addressing inflation, he talked about his plan to address inflation in his one year address, this needed to happen way earlier.

Edited by Renegade7

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Perception is reality.

If Biden had talked about beating inflation the way he talked beating COVID (both battles he cant win without help), this would be a different conversation.

And yes, I do believe he could've focused more on addressing inflation, he talked about his plan to address inflation in his one year address, this needed to happen way earlier.

And I think voters should pay attention and live in a world where reality is reality.  All the talk of beating covid doesn't change actual infection/hospitalization/death numbers.  And all the talk of beating inflation doesn't change the fact that many of these inflationary forces are out of US government's control. 

Cost of shipping a container from China to US was $1500 in February 2020 and was $20,000 in fall of 2021.  People want to buy more goods than the world can produce.  Pandemic is not over and the supply chain continues to be hampered at every level.  Biden has already ordered ports open 24/7.  There is only so much the government can do to rein in something that is created by confluence of domestic and international factors.

1 hour ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

C-

Curved to a B-

He needs to do better about straight talking and expectation setting. Example - hey guys, getting out of Afghanistan isn’t going to be pretty, ending a war never is. We are meeting with the best war strategists to do our best. The past administration put things in motion we can’t stop. These terrorists are the worst of the bunch. God speed to our war fighters. 

he also needs to talk to the public less - he just isn’t good at it. 

While we are on the topic of grading - Kamala gets an incomplete! I mean, what school has she even transferred to?

Yeah he sucks at it but he hardly speaks now.

37 minutes ago, bearrock said:

And I think voters should pay attention and live in a world where reality is reality.  All the talk of beating covid doesn't change actual infection/hospitalization/death numbers.  And all the talk of beating inflation doesn't change the fact that many of these inflationary forces are out of US government's control. 

I do, too, but a lot of them don't do the research to confirm why things are the way they are. And some cases they do, but don't understand it, and rely on experts to make it make sense for them.

Economics is not my strength, and I'm glad my tax dollars are going to agencies devoted to addressing the economy for us. We elect officials to be experts and if need be appoint or hire people with more expertise than themselves, and depend on these elected officials to set the record straight on what they can and cannot do.

I don't know if you follow Biden or Harris on Twitter, but their tweets are dominated by trying to get folks to be vaccinated.  At some point that needed to skew more towards addressing inflation, especially in context of people not getting the vaccine no matter what but also feeling the pain from inflation like the rest of us.  It's not just Twitter, but that's an example of medium I see this problem plainly.

He took too long to make a big deal over a big deal, and that's the perception of many of his supporters as well.

37 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Cost of shipping a container from China to US was $1500 in February 2020 and was $20,000 in fall of 2021.  People want to buy more goods than the world can produce.  Pandemic is not over and the supply chain continues to be hampered at every level.  Biden has already ordered ports open 24/7.  There is only so much the government can do to rein in something that is created by confluence of domestic and international factors.

There are factors out of our government's control,  but not all of them, and Biden spoke to that during his one year speech.  He also right before that requested the FTC to look into oil companies colluding to raise prices together with no intent to bring them back down.

White House takes aim at oil industry as gas prices create economic and politics rifts

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/11/17/biden-ftc-gas-prices/

“The bottom line is this: gasoline prices at the pump remain high, even though oil and gas companies’ costs are declining,” Biden wrote in a letter to FTC Chair Lina Khan. “The Federal Trade Commission has authority to consider whether illegal conduct is costing families at the pump. I believe you should do so immediately.”

This needs to go further and completely within our governments control to call out companies for raising prices to maintain their profit margins so their quarterly reports don't impact their stock prices.  Some of these companies are full of ****, what are the controllables, what are the battles that can and should be fought?  Saying some is out of their control is not an excuse to say or do little to nothing about this.

Edited by Renegade7

@Renegade7 I agree that there are definitely things that the government can do to help temper inflationary pressure like interest rates (the oil price isn't inflation as much as just outright illegal collusion).  I just think the inflationary pressure is so high, all the levers the government can pull will be insufficient to say the least.  And voters have to pay attention, educate themselves, and figure out whether inflation was a result of fiscal policy gone wrong or result of forces beyond the government's control.

@bearrock I feel you, brother.  I've mulled over this a couple days and this is still how I feel about this:

What I want my government to do is empty the clip, show me you've emptied the clip, tell me what's left, make clear what is addressable with our allies help and what's not.

If I have to go through multiple corners of the internet like a scavenger hunt to confirm this is being done or the progress, the government's messaging is bad.  The government cannot blame people for making their own narrative if the government doesn't make it clear themselves.

The only way to know that empting the clip will have little to no impact is to try, I don't like the idea of our government looking at issues that impact us this greatly and deciding there's little to nothing they can do about it.  And if that is how they feel, then they need to make that clear and why.  Very few of us are economics majors, government shouldn't ask us to figure that out and also give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Thumb up 1

On 1/21/2022 at 2:30 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Governor Newsom might be an option there. Assuming he can throw enough budget surplus this year towards the homeless problem in the Bay Area and LA. 

He's a complete union cowtowing disaster. The country is not going to vote a California Democrat into office in 2024

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fullnelson9999 said:

There's like, three total people talking about this. Most of these articles cite the same WSJ article. I don't see anything credible here. 

I mean, there are multiple, major publications posting about it.  I think more than 3 people are talking about it.  Not saying it is a good idea.  Not even saying there is a vast number of people discussing it.  But the post I responded to said something to the effect of “it isn’t being discussed.”  And it is.

Edit:  In fact your own post said “cite sources” which I did.  I’m sorry you don’t like it.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I mean, there are multiple, major publications posting about it.  I think more than 3 people are talking about it.  Not saying it is a good idea.  Not even saying there is a vast number of people discussing it.  But the post I responded to said something to the effect of “it isn’t being discussed.”  And it is.

Edit:  In fact your own post said “cite sources” which I did.  I’m sorry you don’t like it.

I mean, they're still just quoting the same article.  I could care less about the number of publications that are reporting a story that's bound to get ad clicks.  

6 hours ago, method man said:

He's a complete union cowtowing disaster. The country is not going to vote a California Democrat into office in 2024

And yet somehow he's overseen an exploding economy during a pandemic. I know, I live here. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-06-14/california-defies-doom-with-no-1-u-s-economy

Make no mistake, he's a flawed candidate but the discussion was about someone who could ride a populist Democrat wave ala Bill Clinton or Barack Obama.

Also..cowtowing? 

Edited by The Evil Genius

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Okay….You said “cite sources” and I did.  What is your point here?

Because my statement was in response to the idea that "the talk is Hilary will run", when in reality it's just two or three people talking about it, and a BUNCH of sources reporting that two or three people were talking about it.  Perhaps read my OP comment?

"The talk is Hilary" just isn't factual. It's three people saying it. That's hardly enough evidence to say something is true, and that's the point I'm making. 

Edited by fullnelson9999

9 hours ago, fullnelson9999 said:

Because my statement was in response to the idea that "the talk is Hilary will run", when in reality it's just two or three people talking about it, and a BUNCH of sources reporting that two or three people were talking about it.  Perhaps read my OP comment?

"The talk is Hilary" just isn't factual. It's three people saying it. That's hardly enough evidence to say something is true, and that's the point I'm making. 

Anything to back up your claim that “when in reality it's just two or three people talking about it”?  Because there are at least writers, editors, etc.  And I’m replying to your comment of “cite sources”, which I did.

Whatever, I’m done with this tangent.  I don’t think it will actually happen so it doesn’t matter.