Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

Ron - "Did you ever play for the Carolina Panthers?"

Player - "no, sir, sorry"

Ron - "Did you you ever play for a team in college, grade school, or pop Warner where the team name was panthers?"

Player - "Um..."

Ron - "Did you ever dress up as a panther for Halloween when you were a kid?"

Player - "Actually, yea, I was like..."

Ron - "Says no more, fam. Hey, *snaps fingers, give him a contract and pay him cash."

The signing former panthers stuff made sense in yr 1. Get off to a good start by bringing in people you know.

You can kind of make the same argument for year 2, when we brought in Carolina's GM. Again, start off w/ the familiar. K.I.S.S.

In year 3, crutching on former players is kinda weird and leads to rumors like being an unattractive destination.

Either that or its an ego thing and you wanna prove "your guys" that you had the first time work. Kinda like Haslett and the infatuation w/ the Zero Blitz. Just kept running it until it worked, no matter how many games it cost us.

Anyways, I don't need to see us focus on former panthers anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 2

We're just going to have to take who we can get in free agency to fill in depth on both sides of the ball. I don't know how aggressive we're being at pursuing any big names, but one thing is clear- nobody wants to come here. Forget about actually signing a big difference maker, we can't even get anyone to visit. When I see the list of places FA's are visiting, Washington never seems to be on the list.

Never thought I'd see the day when our stadium was empty and nobody would want to come here as a free agent. Just makes me a bigger fan of J.D. McKissic than I already was. This guy snubbed Buffalo- the SB favorites who play in front of a packed stadium filled with rabid fans- to stay here! That's mind blowing to me considering how everyone else avoids here or can't get out of here fast enough. Gotta love J.D. McKissic! 

• Like 5

Wonder if Ron's still not 100% happy with the culture in the locker room (see Mills vs the Greek), so bringing in a bunch of guys he knows and trusts (whether they be starter or backup) would be a way of increasing compliance, or just sway the balance more towards what he demands. I suspect there is a certain level of paranoia in such a testosterone filled environment, so the more guys you trust to tow the line and keep everyone else in check, means you can focus on the stuff that actually matters. He also believes in drafting leaders which would lend itself to that too.  

I've never really understood the confusion or anger towards bringing in familiar faces, especially from a Coaching perspective. You have to get everyone pulling in the same direction to be successful, so why waste a year or two educating or battling against people you don't know, when you can hire people who you know will buy in from day 1. 

• Like 3

Ron is signing a high percentage of former Panther players out of necessity, rather than choice, for the following reasons:

1. The biggest impediment to our ability to be a true player in free agency is the negative perception of our team with agents and players. This is the result of years of inept ownership and poor front office decision making. Despite Ron’s best efforts this isn’t changing overnight or even unfortunately in three years.

2. The most desirable non-Panther players with plenty of options often treat a call from teams like the Commanders as if it’s the football equivalent of an  unsolicited scam call from a telemarketer and they either ignore us outright or politely say, "I'm just not interested," before hanging up.

3. A few unscrupulous agents, with no interest in ever having their player’s sign with the organization, will simply waste our time and effort by using us to help increase competition and drive up the value of the contract they eventually agree to with another team.

4. On the other hand most former Panther players, out of respect for Rivera, will at least listen to his pitch despite any misgivings they may have about Snyder and the Commanders organization. They will  give their former coach a fair opportunity to sell them on coming here. They feel that they owe him that.

5.  But most of all---

Ron has been to battle with his former players. He understands how they respond during tough times. He knows how they practice and study. He’s held their hands when they’ve been injured on the field and hugged them after a victory. He knows if they’re good for team chemistry or if they’re disgruntled locker room lawyer types that can destroy a team from the inside. He understands what drives them; if they are self motivated or if they need a kick in the behind from time to time. He knows their families, their girlfriends and the people they hang out with. He’s been there for them when their babies were born and when a relative passes. He knows their capabilities and limitations. He knows if he can trust them.

He’s seen their true character revealed under the harsh glare of sunlight, warts and all; so there is no guess work involved in evaluating them.

—————

Until we are perceived as a more attractive destination Rivera’s “Panther Pipeline”  is a huge advantage in the Commanders favor.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

So it’ll be Lucas today hopefully. I think we will circle back round on WR Carter, or more like he circles back on us. External FA, maybe an answer from Star L for IDL depth, perhaps a look at Jermaine Carter for vet LB depth. Daryl Williams would be an excellent OL pick up. 

That covers off our own FA and ex Panthers for now.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, fearlessNelms said:

We're just going to have to take who we can get in free agency to fill in depth on both sides of the ball. I don't know how aggressive we're being at pursuing any big names, but one thing is clear- nobody wants to come here. Forget about actually signing a big difference maker, we can't even get anyone to visit. When I see the list of places FA's are visiting, Washington never seems to be on the list.

Never thought I'd see the day when our stadium was empty and nobody would want to come here as a free agent. Just makes me a bigger fan of J.D. McKissic than I already was. This guy snubbed Buffalo- the SB favorites who play in front of a packed stadium filled with rabid fans- to stay here! That's mind blowing to me considering how everyone else avoids here or can't get out of here fast enough. Gotta love J.D. McKissic! 

Thank you.  This.  Tell him what he has won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, RWJ said:

They may go that direction.  I would go in another (trade down) but if they do go WR in the first at #11 and Wilson is available, it's a no brainer to me. :)  

Listening to Cousins on Pat McAfee interview and he said everything is different with two top receivers, the offense completely goes to another level.

That's what will happen with Wilson. Olave is a plan B that gets similar results imo. They need to go WR and load up another pass catching TE. Logan is going to be a ?

Frustrating that every time we acquire or extend a receiver they get hurt for the next year or 2.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

So it’ll be Lucas today hopefully. I think we will circle back round on WR Carter, or more like he circles back on us. External FA, maybe an answer from Star L for IDL depth, perhaps a look at Jermaine Carter for vet LB depth. Daryl Williams would be an excellent OL pick up. 

That covers off our own FA and ex Panthers for now.

My fear, and I have nothing to support it so hopefully it’s just in my imagination, is that they had a snafu in negotiations yesterday and it might give another team a chance to swish in and close the deal.

I really want Lucas signed. With one injury the most important player on your line becomes your backup swing tackle. Cornelius is an average starter on a good day but he is an exceptional backup that gives coaches peace of mind going into a game.

I just hope no one else realizes it before we close the deal.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

My fear, and I have nothing to support it so hopefully it’s just in my imagination, is that they had a snafu in negotiations yesterday and it might give another team a chance to swish in and close the deal.

I really want Lucas signed. With one injury the most important player on your line can become your backup swing tackle. He is a solid starter and an exceptional peace of mind backup. I just hope no one else realizes it before we close the deal.

He's negotiating the best situation for himself. I'm wanting Lucas back, but if he can get a starting gig he's going to take it. Doesn't appear there's much interest, so he's back to swing tackle duty. The agent has to do his job right now and make sure he takes care of his client. Clock is ticking.

• Like 2

I'm a little late to the party because of work and real life getting in the way of football stuff, but WE'VE SIGNED A ****ING LONDONER!!!!

Efe Obada used to play for the London Warriors (formerly London Cobras) eight or nine years ago. Top bloke, built like a brick ****-house.

Move over Jonathon Allen, I've got a new man-crush on the D line.

Click on the tweet (not the vid) to play.

Edited by London Kev
  • Haha 6

47 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Listening to Cousins on Pat McAfee interview and he said everything is different with two top receivers, the offense completely goes to another level.

That's what will happen with Wilson. Olave is a plan B that gets similar results imo. They need to go WR and load up another pass catching TE. Logan is going to be a ?

Frustrating that every time we acquire or extend a receiver they get hurt for the next year or 2.

I heard one of the sports talking heads (whose name escapes me) say something a month or so ago that has stuck with me ever since.

He said that having two top receivers used to be the gold standard but he said that offenses that can force your third corner to cover someone that is the equivalent of a number one wideout on an good team can be UNSTOPPABLE.

He said it really doesn't matter if that third guy is a wideout or a te but he said there is no team in the league with the cb depth to face three tier one receivers.

XXXXXX

27 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I'm a little late to the party because of work and real life getting in the way of football stuff, but WE'VE SIGNED A ****ING LONDONER!!!!

Efe Obada used to play for the London Warriors (formerly London Cobras) eight or nine years ago. Top bloke, built like a brick ****-house.

"Click on the tweet (not the vid) to play."

Missed that and thought it was a scam to sell NFL game pass lol! 😋

The vid iself was great. You can tell how much it means to the kid. He's the kind of player you root for.

His best play is in front of him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I heard one of the sports talking heads (whose name escapes me) say something a month or so ago that has stuck with me ever since.

He said that having two top receivers used to be the gold standard but he said that offenses that can force your third corner to cover someone that is the equivalent of a number one wideout on an good team can be UNSTOPPABLE.

He said it really doesn't matter if that third guy is a wideout or a te but he said there is no team in the league with the cb depth to face three tier one receivers.

McLauren, Samuels, Wilson, Logan, and D.Brown creates a nightmare.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Washington Commanders Depth Chart | ESPN

Up to date including yesterdays transactions.

Im thinking we need Lucas, IDK what do you guys think?

I’ve said it before but Lucas locks our OL top 7 up pretty nicely. We usually keep 8/9 so a couple of those camp body guys are currently slated to be on our opening day roster which they shouldn’t be (Ismael, Larsen) .. not bringing in a solid swing OT or re-signing Lucas makes OT a big need with the draft looming. Not starter need. But upside need. So probably round 4. Which is our 3rd pick. Signing Lucas means we can wait a bit until 6/7/7 to address any Ol picks 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, London Kev said:

So we signed a footballer from a soccer crazed country/city.  

I am thinking this is to get leverage on possible stadium funding.  To present another option.  The London Commanders!!  

We need someone to help with the transition.....LOL.  I love London and the UK.

Edited by sebestian
  • Thumb up 1

43 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Washington Commanders Depth Chart | ESPN

Up to date including yesterdays transactions.

Im thinking we need Lucas, IDK what do you guys think?

#3 QB

More tradition RB to pair with AG

#2 WR

TE depth

Lucas as swing tackle. OT depth still a concern

IDL depth

Starting LB / Collins replacement in the Hybrid role

Slot corner

S competition 

Thats what I initially think. Some of the hybrid role/safety competition/ maybe even corner can be covered by one player. I mean wouldn’t Tyrann Mathieu be ideal there?

Anyway, few gaps still to resolve for me.

• Like 1