Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP/CBS/ESPN: Joe Gibbs coming back; Gregg Williams D-Coord: Woah Woah Woah (MERGE)

SRVFan72

Originally posted by CrankyTodd

mms://66.250.188.10/WTEM_AM

The above url is the direct link to WTEM's online stream. Open windows media player, click file, open location/url, and paste it in. It will avoid all of that pop up window and registration crap.

hot damn, thanks.:cheers:

I think Gibbs is the type of coach who can have success after a long retirement.  Actually, there may be hope that Synder will actually listen to Gibbs. 

Dan: "Synder will say, yes Mr. Gibbs.  What can I do for you, Mr. Gibbs?"

Joe: "Well, Dan I think I need a GM to help me bring in players. You can keep Cerato as your personal assistant but I want professionals running the GM department."

Dan: "Whatever you Want, Sir."

The song for this news: "I Feel Good" by James Brown

Skeletor............tough it out for tonight buddy...........no time to sleep on a night like tonight........one day when St. Joe holds the Lombardi Trophey again, you are gonna remember this night and say it was well worth it...........easy for me to say though, I don't have to report to school until 1:00 o'clock tomorrow.

Originally posted by Rdskns2000

I think Gibbs is the type of coach who can have success after a long retirement.  Actually, there may be hope that Synder will actually listen to Gibbs. 

Dan: "Synder will say, yes Mr. Gibbs.  What can I do for you, Mr. Gibbs?"

Joe: "Well, Dan I think I need a GM to help me bring in players. You can keep Cerato as your personal assistant but I want professionals running the GM department."

Dan: "Whatever you Want, Sir."

The song for this news: "I Feel Good" by James Brown

What would be nice is if danny came up and asked Joe what he could do for him and Joe responded, "Get me a Coke"

It's the same thing the danny said to the old employees at Redskins Park before he fired them.

The 1AM Comcast SportsNet and Sportscenter just rehashed information we already know.

ESPN did say that Bruce Allen looks like he is going to the Bucs with another Raiders FO man.

Hopefully, Snyder can talk to Allen first and persuade him to come here.

SI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/don_banks/01/07/coaching.news/index.html

Surprise, surprise

Redskins could make major splash by luring Gibbs out of retirement

Posted: Wednesday January 7, 2004 12:51AM; Updated: Wednesday January 7, 2004 12:59AM

The hot rumor making its way around the league Tuesday night was apparently more than a rumor: Hall of Fame head coach Joe Gibbs is interested in returning to the Washington Redskins after an 11-year absence.

According to a report in The Washington Post, Gibbs, 63, is in "serious discussions'' about rejoining the team he led to three Super Bowl titles.

Earlier Tuesday night, sources around the league said there was heated speculation that the Redskins have unearthed a mystery candidate in their coaching search, and one with blockbuster headline name appeal.

"The buzz is that the Redskins have candidate who's a Hall of Fame-level coach,'' one league source said. "With Washington, you can't discount it when you hear something like that.''

Guesses ranged from Gibbs to Jimmy Johnson to Marv Levy to Mike Ditka to even Don Shula. But according to the Post report, Gibbs is considering an offer to be Steve Spurrier's replacement in Washington.

Gibbs coached the team from 1981-92, winning Super Bowl titles in 1982, 1987 and 1991. He retired after the 1992 season to pursue a career in NASCAR team ownership. Gibbs is a minority owner of the Atlanta Falcons and has consistently resisted all efforts to lure him back in coaching.

The unexpected turn of events involving Gibbs' candidacy potentially rescues a Washington coaching search that had lost momentum in recent days. With ex-Vikings head coach Dennis Green closing in on an agreement with Arizona, and Seattle defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes said to have had a rather lackluster interview with the Redskins on Tuesday in Washington, former Giants head coach Jim Fassel appeared to be in the strongest position of the Redskins' three interviewed candidates.

Until Gibbs' name surfaced, Fassel was expected to have an offer from the Redskins in the next few days.

Idont know what to say i am speechless!!!!!!!!!! I have cried and called to wake everyone up to tell them the news. I dont know what to do i cant go to bed because i am so amped about this news. I told Jbooma that writeing Swanson was worth it . J/K

Their is a weird feeling on this board now and it is great it seems that everyone is together again and we are all one .

The Next Joe Gibbs Could Be Joe Gibbs

By Michael Wilbon

Wednesday, January 7, 2004; Page D01

The other day I received an e-mail from someone inquiring about the next head coach of the Washington Redskins. And I immediately dismissed it because the e-mailer was asking whether Dan Snyder had the name Joe Gibbs at the top of his list of candidates, and whether Gibbs would come back, like Vince Lombardi came back, like Dick Vermeil came back, like Bill Parcells has come back a time or two.

I dismissed it because not only has Gibbs said repeatedly over the last 11 years that he wasn't coming back to coach, he has been demonstrably happy in his life outside of football. Most coaches, when they leave football, can never again satisfy their competitive urges. But Gibbs has been as big a success in auto racing as he was coaching the Redskins to three Super Bowl victories and four Super Bowl appearances in 12 seasons.

Everybody has seemed more interested in Gibbs coaching the Redskins again than Gibbs himself. And by everybody I mean seemingly every man, woman and child who has rooted for the Washington NFL franchise. It had become a cliche to mention Gibbs's name in connection with coaching pro football. So I dismissed the e-mailer because why would this time be any different from all the other times, like when Jack Kent Cooke fired Richie Petitbon, or when Snyder fired Norv Turner or Marty Schottenheimer?

So this news that Gibbs apparently is seriously considering coming back to coach the Redskins is stunning. As the Redskins devolved from champion to contender to challenger to dysfunctional chump, the cry for Gibbs to come back has turned desperate. With every losing season and this descent into football hell, Gibbs went from genius to football god to, well, savior.

The Packers have won since Lombardi, the Giants and Patriots have reached Super Bowls since Parcells, the Eagles have threatened to win since Vermeil. But the Redskins have been to one lousy playoff game since Gibbs left. And when Steve Spurrier resigned last week, the desperate cry went out one more time from the sycophants who wondered who out there reminds anybody of Coach Gibbs. D.C. has never gotten over him leaving. The late Shirley Povich might disagree, but it seems to me the pecking order of sports icons around here is Gibbs first, Walter Johnson second.

Well, one would assume that the only thing better than getting a potential Joe Gibbs is getting the real Joe Gibbs.

Not only did he retire to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but he grew in stature because he didn't come back to the sideline, because we saw his full personality on NBC for a couple of years in that odd-couple pairing with Mike Ditka on the NFL pregame show, because he went down to North Carolina and conquered NASCAR, a sport completely unrelated to football. If Gibbs does this, if he comes back to coach the Redskins, he comes back so much larger a figure than he left.

He comes back so large that Snyder, the man who is orchestrating the deal to bring him back, wouldn't dare interfere because Snyder idolizes Gibbs, speaks his name in a hushed tone on every mention.

It's going to take some time to get used to this, if it happens. It's going to take some time to figure out what it means after the final champagne is downed and the hangovers subside.

See, Gibbs left the NFL for all the right reasons, because he could see that free agency was going to prevent teams from staying together as long as he had kept together the core of the Redskins teams that played in those four Super Bowls. He left to see his boys before they became fathers themselves. He grew up because he'd had enough of sleeping in the office a couple of nights a week.

He left before there were cell phones for players to bring to meetings.

Maybe, just maybe, he sees 67-year-old Vermeil winning one Super Bowl with the St. Louis Rams and threatening to win another with the Kansas City Chiefs, and thinks he should take one more stab at it. Maybe Gibbs sees 62-year-old Parcells come back to whip the Cowboys into shape and it just kills him.

Gibbs was here in the Washington area in mid-October, at the request of The Post's chairman, Don Graham, to raise money for D.C. public high school kids to attend college. At a barbeque that evening, he talked rather passionately about the Redskins, about giving Spurrier time to implement his program. Maybe a few people read something into how animated Gibbs was when he talked about the Redskins for those few moments. Maybe something in Gibbs was sparked because he was in a room with Darrell Green, Art Monk, Doc Walker and perhaps a few more of his former players. I didn't, but perhaps should have. Maybe even Gibbs felt a fire burning that day.

His sons are grown men now. He has spent more than decade playing and working with them. He's 63 and if he's going to save the Redskins, this is the time to try. Snyder can buy a California King bed to put in Gibbs's office if need be. As long as there is competition to engage, there is something to prove. And if Snyder and Gibbs can come to an agreement on coaching and, presumably, running the football business of the Washington Redskins, then everybody in town can finally stop looking for the next Joe Gibbs.

very true art...

saw someone with a member number in the 5k's. in the good ol' days, we were lucky to get over 100 posters online on a big day. now, even before all this excitement tonight, we regularly have 200ish during our offseason. this community is amazing. we may say it fairly frequently, but never enough: thanks owners/mods!!!

Archived