Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP/CBS/ESPN: Joe Gibbs coming back; Gregg Williams D-Coord: Woah Woah Woah (MERGE)

SRVFan72

Its on ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1702079

ESPN.com news services

The Redskins may return to their past in their attempt to return to glory.

Sources with ties to former coach Joe Gibbs told the Washington Post that he is in serious talks with the team.

Gibbs led the team to Super Bowl wins in 1983, 1988 and 1992. The Redskins also lost the 1984 championship game under his direction.

He became involved with NASCAR after he left the NFL, but has told racing associates that he could return to football, the paper reported in Wednesday's editions.

Steve Spurrier resigned as coach of the Redskins last week. Since then, owner Daniel Snyder and vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato have interviewed former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel, former Minnesota Vikings coach Dennis Green and Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes.

Rhodes interviewed Tuesday.

A source close to Fassel told the Post that he did not believe Fassel would be hired because the club was planning a major surprise. That source added that he believed Gibbs' return would be the surprise.

Gibbs has not coached since leaving the Redskins after the 1992 season. He is a minority owner with the Atlanta Falcons and would have to sell his interest, the Post reported.

He has turned over the majority of ownership of his NASCAR racing teams to his sons, the paper reported.

its still not out of the question that rhodes may come here as a defensive cordinator if the seahawks are willing ot let him go without conpensation... i dont know if petibon would be willing ot come back but if you recently saw some articles about the so called "2nd tier" coaches they wanted to bring I found it quite funny that russ grimm, joe bugel and such individuals were on there.. which to me indicates that a lot of these guys may come here as part of gibbs staff... and maybe all those allen rumors werent bogus.. maybe they were for real.. and the skins denied them because they wanted the surprise ot stay a surprise..

SO it was really a bad DREAM!! I knew it, I just woke up and its just like i left it after the Superbowl, Gibbs is back on the sidelines.

I knew the only explanation of Norv, Shchotty, Spurrier was that it was a bad dream. Thank god I awakened. Now I won't be able to sleep till September!!!

I sooooo hope this is true and he comes back. I just couldn't take it if it didn't happen and we settled for someone else. It would kill me.

I will no doubt move back home. EVEN IF I HAVE TO MOVE IN WITH MY MOM IF I HAVE TO. AT 27 YEARS OLD, RIGHT NOW I DON"T GIVE A F*CK. I WILL IF JOE SIGNS ON WITH US AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived