Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are injuries the real recurring problem with the WFT?

Tomel

Seems like every year that injuries are a major problem, more so than most other teams. Over the last 5-10 years, I would bet WFT is in the top 5 in terms of games missed by expected starters prior to the start of the season.

Why? There's got to be an answer. Are practices too easy? Or too hard?  Is the training staff incompetent? Are we always going for the best players without regard to injury history? Maybe we should go for a just pretty good players who are durable. Solve the injury / availability problem and the results will be much better in my opinion.

Edited by Tomel
Title not a good description of the intended topic.

Everyone has injuries every year. We notice ours more because we don't have that many good players so when the few good ones we have get hurt, its noticeable.

Take Scherff for example. We literally have not won a game in three years that he's missed. He's a great player, All Pro and all that, but ultimately he's a G and their value is not as high as other positions. But for us, losing him is a death knell.

Meanwhile the Ravens can lose their entire secondary AND their MVP caliber QB can miss multiple games and still be over .500.

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Your thread is injured. The title needs to reflect the content, so change it to something like "are we the most injured team?" 

Or a mod will.

Also, about every member is going to read the thread title and assume it's another Snyder thread.

Because it is.

If it's bad, it's about that man.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

Every year someone starts these threads on how to fix the team.  Every year some people focus on the small things wrong.  Every year the team fails for another dozen reasons.

There is a common denominator, and the answer to how to fix the team is for Snyder to leave.  Until he sells the team nothing will change, and he will desperately try and convince you otherwise.  Hes a bad owner, who makes bad decisions, and hires bad people.  

Ron Rivera may be one of his "better" hires, which obviously isnt saying much, but Ron is a guy whos teams have gone 7-9 most seasons of his career, and hes doing exactly what he always does.

1 hour ago, Tomel said:

Seems like every year that injuries are a major problem, more so than most other teams. Over the last 5-10 years, I would bet WFT is in the top 5 in terms of games missed by expected starters prior to the start of the season.

Why? There's got to be an answer. Are practices too easy? Or too hard?  Is the training staff incompetent? Are we always going for the best players without regard to injury history? Maybe we should go for a just pretty good players who are durable. Solve the injury / availability problem and the results will be much better in my opinion.

Way too many weak ankled quarterbacks. They keep breaking on us.........cough. 

No QB comes to this team thinking 'I want to be like Joe Theismann' but they sure seem to end up that way. 

Edited by Butchie_T

This simply is not true.  

Tennessee is the most injured team this year - having had 86 players on IR at some point this season, I believe.  And they are still in 1st place.

We all know the answer to this question. There is only 1 constant over 20 years in this equation.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

Edited by Csup
  • Like 1

From a marketing perspective, for the NFL there is no better team that Washington to be “losers”.

Other teams fans will travel well to go to DC and watch a game, because it is already a tourist destination. They need smaller market teams like Green Bay to be successful so those markets will have loyal fans. And the cowboys are the face of the NFL, America’s team

There needs to be some losers in the nfl and Snyder sees the value in bring a loser. It shows in everything he does.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

• Tomel changed the title to Are injuries the real recurring problem with the WFT?

I think part of the problem more recently, is our coaching staffs not being innovative to adjust to the personnel on the roster.  Shanahan was the last group to do it well with RG3.  That system literally changed the league.

Today we're a round hole scheme with some circles,  a bunch of squares, and a bunch of shapes that don't fit and the coaches can't or won't adjust.  I look at Philly and think why aren't we running something like that with Heinicke and backs we have. Misdirection and downhill running with the QB.  Hell, I'd take the system Rivera ran with Cam Newton. That was really inventive and took Carolina to the Superbowl. 

This year, it took half a season to put Landon in the box, put curl at SS, bobby at free, and realign the corners.  Theyre still not blitzing consistently and I don't see twists and stunts enough.  We seem to never play man, just to keep the offense guessing. 

Just feels like we're not adjusting to the strengths of the squad cause the coaches system should work as is, but it's not. Gruden did the same thing.

https://www.weisspaarz.com/nfl-injuries-over-five-seasons/

I'm trying to respond to some of the comments in this thread (which I take as being constructive comments, since we're all fans of the WFT and would love to see better results). Take a look at the above web site showing injuries by team for the period from 2014 through 2018. During this period . . . 

o The WFT ranked 8th in terms of total injuries (after Seahawks, Patriots, Colts, Ravens, Jaguars, Giants and Saints).

o Looking at the combined injury rank of each team for each year individually, WFT ranked 5th (after Ravens, Colts, Jaguars and Giants)

Based on this data, injuries are certainly one WFT's problems . . . but clearly not the only problem since some of the teams with more injuries have done much better than the WFT.

• Like 1

You know what people are overlooking? And yes, I'm making this about Snyder... but hear me out here.

Our facilities are among the lower end of the NFL spectrum. Our stadium, our practice fields, our weight rooms, our locker rooms, likely our training facilities. Our facilities in general.

That is a way to attract high end free agents on a regular basis. It's a way to bring in coaches. It's a way to get the best of the best strength and conditioning and training staffs.

That helps with injuries (though teams with even state of the art stuff are struggling with injuries this year as well). 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Spearfeather said:

No. Not having a franchise quarterback.

Yeah you need the franchise QB but the best staffs make a franchise QB. The Patriots developed Brady like they're doing with Mac Jones. Look at what the Bills did with Josh Allen, Baltimore and Lamar Jackson.  Cincinnati passed on a top tackle to take Jamarr Chase to give Burrow more weapons and it was the right decision. Hes on his way. 

Just a few examples of raw talent, nurtured the right way with systems specifically designed for them to flourish. 

Not many guys walk into the league like Andrew Luck.  Jacksonville or should I say Meyer, was about to destroy their top pick and I think the Jets already have.

If we're not innovative enough to make a system for our next QB he'll bust like the last 20 have.  Once they get shell shocked they are done.  I think we ruined Heinicke Sunday.

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You know what people are overlooking? And yes, I'm making this about Snyder... but hear me out here.

Our facilities are among the lower end of the NFL spectrum. Our stadium, our practice fields, our weight rooms, our locker rooms, likely our training facilities. Our facilities in general.

That is a way to attract high end free agents on a regular basis. It's a way to bring in coaches. It's a way to get the best of the best strength and conditioning and training staffs.

That helps with injuries (though teams with even state of the art stuff are struggling with injuries this year as well). 

On top of that, wasn't our head trainer popped by the feds this year?  That cant help, either.

I'd agree with your reasoning as to how injuries is A recurring problem, not THE recurring problem.  

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think you're spot on Kdawg. I work for the government and our stuff is OLD. We have a bunch of smart people but when the place you work at is a dump it takes away the motivation of a lot of people, and there's just some stuff we can't do because we don't have the capability or capacity to do. And I've seen smart folks walk because they refuse to spend their time there especially when Google or a fortune 500 is waiting.

For a much money as Dan has, we should have state of the art everything.  Jerry Jones may meddle but he spends every penny to make the cowboys organization what it is.  If you don't think players want to play in that awesome stadium or train in the best facilities on the planet, we're kidding ourselves

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

On top of that, wasn't our head trainer popped by the feds this year?  That cant help, either.

I'd agree with your reasoning as to how injuries is A recurring problem, not THE recurring problem.  

Yeah, I never intended to claim it was THE reoccurring problem.

This franchise has a great many. And to save me from going on a rant, the facilities are a big problem for this franchise as far as injury prevention, rehab, free agency, coaching hires, personnel.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Snyder only spends on things that generate revenue. Top notch facilities don't generate revenue, at least in his mind.

Yeah that's a common issue with many businesses and management groups.  Attrition rate and morale questionnaires rarely get the attention they need. 

People feel like 'you should be happy you got a job' instead of 'how can we make your job / life better?' Then those same management groups spend tons of money on the wrong stuff like Lean 6 (which can be awesome) and are baffled why their numbers are declining. 

Dan fits the mold of many of our managers who are clueless but swear they're the smartest person in the room, and we're all mumbling 'what a moron.'

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yeah, I never intended to claim it was THE reoccurring problem.

This franchise has a great many. And to save me from going on a rant, the facilities are a big problem for this franchise as far as injury prevention, rehab, free agency, coaching hires, personnel.

I'd imagine that will change when we build the new stadium, because I'm sure Dan is going to try and out do Jerry.