Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder doesn’t care about winning

Birdlives

Has Snyder's "ban" been lifted? Is he allowed to interact with the team again?

I know the banishment was fake. I mean you don't say, "Begone!" and then let the wife take over. Still, I wonder what the official status is... or was everything unofficial to begin with.

On 12/31/2021 at 9:53 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Sure, they make money hand over fist, no denying it.

But if your assessment is that he cares about his ego more than both...there's ego in winning.  I mean, think of how big his ego would be if he had the success that Robert Kraft has had over the past 20+ years.  

Any which way you cut it, he stands to gain more from winning.  More money?  Yep.  Make no mistake, he's a capitalist and while he's already making money hand over fist, he wants more.  I don't believe for a second he would ever turn down an opportunity to make more.  

More ego?  Absolutely.  Already big enough as it is which is pathetic considering how much of a failure he is.  

These things aren't separate, they're all tied together.  

Dan Snyder is wildly incompetent.  That’s it.  That’s all there is to his inability to do anything remotely forward thinking.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 10:53 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Sure, they make money hand over fist, no denying it.

Actually, they're not.  

The net income, as reported by a whole bunch of sites, is ~$25 Million.  Compared to the Cowboys $280 Million.  

I don't really want to get into the overall economics of the NFL, because honestly, I'm not an expert, but at a very simplistic level, here's what I think is true:

On the revenue side:

- All teams split evenly the TV money. 

- I believe the "regular ticket" gate receipts are split with the visiting team.  Half empty stadiums hurt the bottom line

- Premium Seat revenue goes exclusively to the team. So given nobody buys the Club seats or suites anymore, that's a big hit to revenue.

- All merchandise sales, food/beverage at the stadium,  and team sponsorships obviously goes to the team.  Less people going to the games + less people buying merch = less revenue.

On the Cost side:

~49% of shared revenue goes to the players through the CBA.  ** I'm not entirely sure how they set the salary cap number, but I think it's based on League revenue, not individual team revenue

- Then they have to pay the lease on FedEx.  (Which is an interesting arrangement because they kindof also own FedEx, but it was financed. But they are still paying for it.)

- Then they have to pay all the non-players salaries.  This is EVERYBODY in the organization, the coaching staff, FO, Ticket office, all the way down to the hotdog vendor at the stadium.  This is a non-trivial number of people and cost.  

- They have to pay for all of the "other" costs needed to run the team.  Equipment, technology, etc. etc. etc. (I'm not going to list everything out here, but there are a million things they have to pay for. 

The team has debt.  They have to pay the interest on the debt and most likely some principal as well.

- Then there are legal fees and other outside consulting fees (financial auditors, etc.)

There is a large component of the cost side of the equation which is somewhat fixed.  However, they are extremely significant. 

Absent "team specific" revenue, just the shared revenue really just goes to operating the team.

So there is always a true desire to increase team specific revenue.  Snyder is actually NOT making a ton of money.  If anybody thinks that the performance of the team doesn't hit him in the wallet, they're wrong.  

The best way to make more money is to win.  I think Dan knows that.  The problem is he can't help himself in getting in the way of winning.  Maybe that's changing, but it's a bit unclear.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The best way to make more money is to win.  I think Dan knows that.  The problem is he can't help himself in getting in the way of winning.  Maybe that's changing, but it's a bit unclear.  

The thing is it has been 20 years of him getting in the way, can that be possible? 

If I didn't know better, I'd think this has been a slow deliberate bleed....sabotagey (If that were a word)

Snyder has demonstrated he doesn't care about the fans, only their money. As long as folks keep showing up to the stadium every week, no matter who they're rooting for, he's happy. Theoretically he would still make loads of $$$ even if NO fans showed up every week...so why should he care what we think?

Maybe they can investigate whether the railing collapse was actually Snyder's attempt to assassinate Jalen Hurts...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Some Jaguar fans are heading to this weekends game wearing clown costumes with big mustaches to mock their owner.

Maybe our fans publicly mocking Snyder more would get to him...nothing else does

He's been mocking us for years, so yeah, it's time.

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2022 at 10:10 PM, ixcuincle said:

I was going downstairs to fill up the water in my glass and I was just coming to grips with reality. Washington isn't any good and were eliminated today. Philly is going to advance to the playoffs since the Packers are up 23-0 or whatever. It really is amazing how much this team has fallen.

Old people like me, we don't have a choice. I started watching the games in 2000, but by that point I was already in high school. I've seen 21 years of this ****. And you have to understand that back then the WFT WAS the main attraction in this city. There was no other sport team. It was WFT by a mile, then the Caps (who had made a final in 1998, but as well all know, had to give away Finals tickets because there was little interest, even after the "Keep the Caps" campaign. To be fair the Caps did make the playoffs routinely after getting Langway in the 80's but that's a whole history book on that) and then the Bullets. There was no baseball team in this city. The WFT were "the team".

The problem is that every other sport other than the Wizards got gud. The Caps drafted Ovechkin and he spearheaded a hockey revolution in the area. That and Rock the Red in the late 2000's vaulted DC into a hockey town. Then the baseball team came back to DC, and it was a Nats town. Meanwhile Washington continued to flounder under Snyder, occasionally making that playoff run but consistently being mediocre overall.

To me the WFT will always be the first and foremost sport I follow. I will always treat every game of theirs with strong emotions and that won't ever change. I'm not numb to anything. And Snyder still hasn't robbed the love of this team from me, I'll still appreciate them whatever they call themselves. But I can see why people get worn down of the same old ****. They are consistently hovering around .500 with that occasional 3-13 season peppered in.

All I'm just saying is that I will always be with this team, but Snyder has really hit a generation hard with his antics. There aren't young people like me who are WFT fans. I went to an event at FedEx Field the other day; they were trying to get new season ticket holders. I stayed to eat free food and watch Joe Theissman talk (and get an autograph). And geez I'm pretty old and I must have been one of the young ones there. It's amazing how much of the fanbase is old or over 30.

Reminded me of this....

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 8.14.17 PM.png

Edited by ananoman
  • Sad 1

On 1/6/2022 at 1:01 PM, DWinzit said:

Some Jaguar fans are heading to this weekends game wearing clown costumes with big mustaches to mock their owner.

Maybe our fans publicly mocking Snyder more would get to him...nothing else does

No, he'd probably just think everyone loves him and then he would name himself as the new mascot.  He's that tone deaf.

• Sad 1

This article is so true. Hey NFL, you pressured Richardson to sell so why does Snyder get a pass? I know Richardson was much older, but Snyder is an idiot. And what is wrong with FedEx? Why would you still want your name associated with a dump?

Edited by BleedBNG

4 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

This article is so true. Hey NFL, you pressured Richardson to sell so why does Snyder get a pass? I know Richardson was much older, but Snyder is an idiot. And what is wrong with FedEx? Why would you still want your name associated with a dump?

As much as I hate to say it, he’s not going to be forced to sell.  Sad Arrested Development GIF

• Sad 1