Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder doesn’t care about winning

Birdlives

On 12/28/2021 at 9:58 AM, Peregrine said:

Stop believing things just because he says them. "Snyder told him in the interview that he is embarrassed at the results of his team".  He lies.  Imagine if he told them he wasn't embarrassed by it, would that coach want to work for the team?  He lies and people just eat it up, take his words at face value, and say "see, that means something".  It means he wants you to think he cares, and look, it worked again.

If you go through life believing proven liers words simply because they come out of their mouth, you will live a life of bad decisions and unneeded suffering and never get a firm grasp of what is true.

Oh I don't believe a word Daniel Snyder says. But again this was a coach, a coach who was later hired. Not sure which one it was but I see no reason for him to lie about this.  I do believe Snyder is embarrassed at the results, there is no doubt in my mind he wants to win desperately.

But as others have noted he still thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and his ego is a huge problem.  He can hire a great Team President but that won't change things like the Sean Taylor debacle because Dan Snyder is still in charge.   

Snyder's ego ad his tendency to lock in on one guy are detrimental.

Marty was an ego hire. He had to prove the world wrong, that despite what Marty said about not working for an owner like Dan; that's what happened.

Steve was the first coach Dan locked in on. You heard reports of Steve getting hired, well before he fired Marty.

Snyder actually interviewed candidates before hiring Joe, but he was locked on bringing Joe back and it worked.

Snyder supposedly was locked on Fassell but fan uproar caused him not to do it. So, he let Vinny hire Zorn.

Then he locked into Shany the moment he was fired. If he said yes, he would've fired Zorn on the spot but had to wait a year.

Then he lets Bruce make the next hire and Bruce was locked in on Jay.

Dan supposedly had a group advising him and what to change after firing Jay but I think it was just Joe. Joe probably told Dan he should check out Ron.

I think when we enter the post Ron era, Dan will either lock in on someone or let Mark make the next hire.

• Like 2

I hate Snyder but I also hate the notion that he doesn’t want to win. Because that’s usually followed by the idea that all he cares about is money. 

If all he cares about is money, he’d want to win. He’d stand to make more money if the team won.  

Now I absolutely think he’s interested in doing it his way and doing it his way only. If that choad ever hoists a Lombardi I think he will think that everything he did must have been the right move because he finally came out on top. 

But I’ve given up on the idea of him ever hoisting a Lombardi. Won’t happen. Can’t happen. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'll continue to ask because I never get an answer. What happened to the Congressional investigation and the November deadline to produce requested material?  This story has completely died. 

It’s still happening. Investigations and interviews are in progress. Look for more early in the new year. Will it accomplish anything? We’ll see. 

I truly feel for my fellow ESers who were not fortunate enough to experience what a winning organization was like back in the day. 

The 80's. 

I would wear my Zubas around at times { even though they were LOUD }, wear my Redskins jacket, cap, and I would get frowning faces from Cowboy fans who were jealous of success.

Yeppers, I wore them proud, and I knew that there was always the expectations of winning ANY particular game, regardless of who the opponent was. 

Today's situation is the polar opposite. I miss those times. Getting my hopes up when the team squeaks into the playoffs every 5 years, only to be bounced out in hysterical fashion, up until last year, when an unknown Taylor Heinicke was thrust onto a playoff game with no experience, and all most pulled it off. I started to feel good about the future, then 2021 and Covid came and put my heart in a blender and pressed 'frappe'. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I hate Snyder but I also hate the notion that he doesn’t want to win. Because that’s usually followed by the idea that all he cares about is money. 

If all he cares about is money, he’d want to win. He’d stand to make more money if the team won.  

Now I absolutely think he’s interested in doing it his way and doing it his way only. If that choad ever hoists a Lombardi I think he will think that everything he did must have been the right move because he finally came out on top. 

But I’ve given up on the idea of him ever hoisting a Lombardi. Won’t happen. Can’t happen. 

This is an interesting point, but want to counter that even the worst franchises in football make hand over fist money because of the TV deals. 

Hes making enough that he doesn't have to do it the right way to make monopoly money.  I dont believe he cares about money more then winning, I believe he cares about his ego more then both. 

He makes more then enough money to not be compelled to run this franchise like any of the more successful ones to make more.  Some folks said we should have a walkout on a game, I agreeded with it, then 2020 happened and look how many home games had no fans at all.  Did that hurt his wallet?  Not noticeably, if at all. 

He doesn't need us and he knows that officially now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

This is an interesting point, but want to counter that even the worst franchises in football make hand over fist money because of the TV deals. 

Hes making enough that he doesn't have to do it the right way to make monopoly money.  I dont believe he cares about money more then winning, I believe he cares about his ego more then both. 

He makes more then enough money to not be compelled to run this franchise like any of the more successful ones to make more.  Some folks said we should have a walkout on a game, I agreeded with it, then 2020 happened and look how many home games had no fans at all.  Did that hurt his wallet?  Not noticeably, if at all. 

I agree with this point. He doesn't need fans to pack his stadium. He just needs to be an NFL owner. He isn't the first owner to realize this either. I think the owner of the Bengals or the old Browns owner or maybe it was both that basically didn't care about winning because the NFL was such a cash cow.

• Like 1

I don't care enough to look up the actual numbers but he bought the team for like $900M. Has done nothing but make the wrong decisions, lose, run fans off at every turn and fall backwards into scandal. The team is now worth like $4 billion. Why WOULD he care?? What other business could you run into the ground, run off most of your customers and STILL become a billionaire for your troubles?

The best we can hope for at this point is that someone catches him on tape saying a racial slur.

Edited by repo_4
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Sure, they make money hand over fist, no denying it.

But if your assessment is that he cares about his ego more than both...there's ego in winning.  I mean, think of how big his ego would be if he had the success that Robert Kraft has had over the past 20+ years.  

Any which way you cut it, he stands to gain more from winning.  More money?  Yep.  Make no mistake, he's a capitalist and while he's already making money hand over fist, he wants more.  I don't believe for a second he would ever turn down an opportunity to make more.  

More ego?  Absolutely.  Already big enough as it is which is pathetic considering how much of a failure he is.  

These things aren't separate, they're all tied together.  

39 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Sure, they make money hand over fist, no denying it.

But if your assessment is that he cares about his ego more than both...there's ego in winning.  I mean, think of how big his ego would be if he had the success that Robert Kraft has had over the past 20+ years.  

Any which way you cut it, he stands to gain more from winning.  More money?  Yep.  Make no mistake, he's a capitalist and while he's already making money hand over fist, he wants more.  I don't believe for a second he would ever turn down an opportunity to make more.  

More ego?  Absolutely.  Already big enough as it is which is pathetic considering how much of a failure he is.  

These things aren't separate, they're all tied together.  

He turns down opportunities to make more money all the time by not doing what the winning franchises are doing at all. Even giving this much control to a coach that has never won a super bowl is rare.

Maybe pride is a better word, because its getting in the way of him making more money or winning.

He wants to prove he can do it his way versus emulating multiple working examples around him during his tenure as owner of his franchise.

Things like pride, ego, winning, and money do interact with each other, but don't have equal  influence on the other.  I've changed my mind and say pride is overtaking all of them, over even ego.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, profusion said:

I refuse to try and psychoanalyze this nitwit.

His actions indicate that he does want to win. He's just terrible at it and has no talent for listening.

Snyder didn't have to go through the protocols of concepts of investments, he doesn't get the idea of putting money into something to improve it for others than himself. 

Years back I would somewhat defend him when he supposedly 'backed off' of player acquisitions thinking he finally sees the light, but I realized the light was a spotlight and thats all he wants to be in.

He's a 12 year old kid with no concept of responsibility { with all due respect to other 12 year old kids } and he's about the same height...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/31/2021 at 10:17 AM, skins island connection said:

I truly feel for my fellow ESers who were not fortunate enough to experience what a winning organization was like back in the day. 

The 80's. 

I would wear my Zubas around at times { even though they were LOUD }, wear my Redskins jacket, cap, and I would get frowning faces from Cowboy fans who were jealous of success.

Yeppers, I wore them proud, and I knew that there was always the expectations of winning ANY particular game, regardless of who the opponent was. 

Today's situation is the polar opposite. I miss those times. Getting my hopes up when the team squeaks into the playoffs every 5 years, only to be bounced out in hysterical fashion, up until last year, when an unknown Taylor Heinicke was thrust onto a playoff game with no experience, and all most pulled it off. I started to feel good about the future, then 2021 and Covid came and put my heart in a blender and pressed 'frappe'. 

Haven’t you heard?

1*2tMO8H3r2XwSyr-tjyGP6Q.png

15 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Everyone cares about winning.

Everyone. 

Maybe so. But that’s not to say his definition of winning is the same as ours. To us, it’s a well run franchise that produces a competitive team most years. To Lord Farquaad, it’s sniffing the star players’ jocks, diddling the cheerleaders, and wielding absolute power over underlings.

On 12/31/2021 at 4:03 PM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

This is me, every New Years since Dan Snyder bought the team.

2063FBCA-2574-4D12-BBCD-D41E606BCC6F.gif

(in Forrest Gump voice) 

Happy New Year Lt. Dan!!!!!

8 hours ago, Florgon79 said:

image.gif.ebf0c196364d5e71f2db381826470ee1.gif

Watching this live was quite possibly the most embarrassed I have ever been as a Washington fan.  Right up there with the swinging-gate.  

I was going downstairs to fill up the water in my glass and I was just coming to grips with reality. Washington isn't any good and were eliminated today. Philly is going to advance to the playoffs since the Packers are up 23-0 or whatever. It really is amazing how much this team has fallen.

Old people like me, we don't have a choice. I started watching the games in 2000, but by that point I was already in high school. I've seen 21 years of this ****. And you have to understand that back then the WFT WAS the main attraction in this city. There was no other sport team. It was WFT by a mile, then the Caps (who had made a final in 1998, but as well all know, had to give away Finals tickets because there was little interest, even after the "Keep the Caps" campaign. To be fair the Caps did make the playoffs routinely after getting Langway in the 80's but that's a whole history book on that) and then the Bullets. There was no baseball team in this city. The WFT were "the team".

The problem is that every other sport other than the Wizards got gud. The Caps drafted Ovechkin and he spearheaded a hockey revolution in the area. That and Rock the Red in the late 2000's vaulted DC into a hockey town. Then the baseball team came back to DC, and it was a Nats town. Meanwhile Washington continued to flounder under Snyder, occasionally making that playoff run but consistently being mediocre overall.

To me the WFT will always be the first and foremost sport I follow. I will always treat every game of theirs with strong emotions and that won't ever change. I'm not numb to anything. And Snyder still hasn't robbed the love of this team from me, I'll still appreciate them whatever they call themselves. But I can see why people get worn down of the same old ****. They are consistently hovering around .500 with that occasional 3-13 season peppered in.

All I'm just saying is that I will always be with this team, but Snyder has really hit a generation hard with his antics. There aren't young people like me who are WFT fans. I went to an event at FedEx Field the other day; they were trying to get new season ticket holders. I stayed to eat free food and watch Joe Theissman talk (and get an autograph). And geez I'm pretty old and I must have been one of the young ones there. It's amazing how much of the fanbase is old or over 30.

On 12/31/2021 at 10:17 AM, skins island connection said:

The 80's. 

Even in the 90's this team still dominated the area, but the other sports teams were not doing anything worthy. The Caps were but they were still losing to better teams in the playoffs (even up 3-1 too)

The WFT in the 80's and 90's still remained powerful in this town. Heck, from the end of WW2 to Lombardi's only year coaching the club, the team did not have a record over .500. They  had a losing record every year. And fans still showed up.

It's VERY different now. Snyder has just seeped the interest in the club out slowly through years of mediocrity and petty grievances. Again, I am old enough to vaguely remember the 90's. I remember Frerotte and Trent Green. I remember Norval even. I wasn't even watching the games then but I knew of Frerotte bumping his head into the end zone, or all that stuff. And it's sad.

I'm hoping this rebrand change and a committment to winning changes things, but a lot of damage was done from 2000-2020 to the city's youth with this poor play. There's no trendy marketing campaign like the Caps. Apathy is at a high and you can see when you go to a game. Most of the seats are empty.

Guy owns his favorite sports team, has money to swim in it like Scrooge mcduck, got pinched for sexual assault and possibly kidnapping and the rest of the NFL billionaires covered it up for him, gets scolded and has to sail his luxury yacht around while his wife pretends to play president and he remains untouchable. Now he has an extremely respected front man in Rivera shielding him from criticism. 

Hes definitely winning.

• Thanks 2

Another owner who doesn't care about winning is Ted Leonsis with the Wizards. The guy is happy with making into to the playoffs every year and getting eliminated in the first round so that he can generate a little extra revenue. The guy refuses to go into the luxury tax and try to build a real contender.

• Thanks 1