Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2

Koolblue13

5 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

You may be right about ownership playing a role, but not every rookie QB is ready to play immediately. That doesn't mean they're doodoo.

Maybe it’s just me being skeptical of how Rivera has handled the QB room since he got here.  He’s handled it poorly to say the least.  He’s also not that hard to read when it comes to his actions and words.  The sudden shift to being all in on Howell, after not even looking his way for 99% of the season is getting the side-eye from me.  He could’ve played Howell after the Bears game, or the Titans game.  It would’ve been the smarter move.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

The guy we traded two picks for to hopefully become our franchise QB threw for 360 yards in the Titans game.

And threw a soul crushing pick on the final drive to drop us to 1-4.  Do you remember how dumb he was at the goal line for those final few plays?  He should’ve been benched after the Bears game, if he didn’t get hurt.  It was amazing luck that he got his hand injury, or we wouldn’t have a 2nd round pick for this draft.  Howell should’ve started the Packers game with us at 2-4.  He definitely should’ve started the Browns game.  That game should’ve gotten Rivera fired.  If we were under normal circumstances, Rivera would’ve been fired after that game.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, samy316 said:

He could’ve played Howell after the Bears game, or the Titans game.  It would’ve been the smarter move.

Howell wasn't practicing with the 1st team since he was 3rd on the depth chart. Taylor was the backup and had more experience. Plus the season wasn't quite over yet as well. Also Ron told Wentz on draft day that Howell was a project pick. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, zCommander said:

Howell wasn't practicing with the 1st team since he was 3rd on the depth chart. Taylor was the backup and had more experience. Plus the season wasn't quite over yet as well. Also Ron told Wentz on draft day that Howell was a project pick. 

Well, then that’s Ron’s fault.  Howell should’ve been the backup all season long last year.  TH should’ve been 3rd backup, or not on this team all together.  Trading for Wentz was also a gigantic error in judgement on Ron’s part, but that’s already been discussed to death.  The point is that Ron is the common denominator for the awful way we’ve handled the QB situation.  He shouldn’t have any say in what we do at QB after the Wentz trade, and especially after the dumb move to play Wentz with our season on the line against the Browns.  Ron shouldn’t be here at all.

Edited by samy316
  • Thumb down 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't see Harris as the splashy type. 

I really see two options here (only one of which is likely imo). Training camp will have started by the time the team changes hands. Far too late to make significant changes to the team and have them be competitive at all this year. He probably rides it out with Rivera and the current front office for the time being and we win our 6-8 games this year. 

Of course, Harris also embraced the need to tank to kick off a rebuild after he bought the 76ers. Firing the coaching staff during spring training would be one hell of a way to tank this year. And man, if he’s looking at the 2024 draft and wondering what it would take to bring Caleb Williams home to DC, I wouldn’t totally rule it out. 

34 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

I really see two options here (only one of which is likely imo). Training camp will have started by the time the team changes hands. Far too late to make significant changes to the team and have them be competitive at all this year. He probably rides it out with Rivera and the current front office for the time being and we win our 6-8 games this year. 

Of course, Harris also embraced the need to tank to kick off a rebuild after he bought the 76ers. Firing the coaching staff during spring training would be one hell of a way to tank this year. And man, if he’s looking at the 2024 draft and wondering what it would take to bring Caleb Williams home to DC, I wouldn’t totally rule it out. 

Even Snyder didn't fire people right away and Harris is actually competent. Won't happen.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Even Snyder didn't fire people right away and Harris is actually competent. Won't happen.

I believe I read an article posted on here earlier today that demonstrated otherwise. Snyder made some major purges in multiple departments.

If I come across it again, I’ll link it. 🙂

Found it via Spjunkies:

Here's another article worth reading on Snyder history. He's just a terrible human, always has been. 

https://vault.si.com/vault/1999/11/15/capital-gain-demanding-new-owner-daniel-snyder-has-shaken-up-the-first-place-redskins-though-their-play-on-defense-remains-offensive

"In the world I come from there's pressure every minute to perform," said Snyder, the CEO of a billion-dollar marketing and Internet-service firm, SnyderCommunications. "So on this team, those who don't want to play, like [waived tackle] Joe Patton, we'll pack up all their s--- and throw it out in the parking lot."

"Snyder is getting his point across. He began his reign by firing 26 employees--13 in stadium operations, 10 in team operations and three groundskeepers at Redskin Park. "The stadium had out-of-control costs," says Snyder, who claims that the fired stadium staff wasted about $800,000 in utility costs this year. "They were running the air-conditioning in the off-season needlessly in the suites and club seats. At Redskin Park the fields were in bad shape. There were three guys trying to kill the players with their crappy fields, so I brought in the head of the grounds crew at the stadium to oversee the fieldwork. Shame on me for trying to make the fields perfect."

Edited by Die Hard
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I believe I read an article posted on here earlier today that demonstrated otherwise. Snyder made some major purges in multiple departments.

If I come across it again, I’ll link it. 🙂

Found it via Spjunkies:

Here's another article worth reading on Snyder history. He's just a terrible human, always has been. 

https://vault.si.com/vault/1999/11/15/capital-gain-demanding-new-owner-daniel-snyder-has-shaken-up-the-first-place-redskins-though-their-play-on-defense-remains-offensive

"In the world I come from there's pressure every minute to perform," said Snyder, the CEO of a billion-dollar marketing and Internet-service firm, SnyderCommunications. "So on this team, those who don't want to play, like [waived tackle] Joe Patton, we'll pack up all their s--- and throw it out in the parking lot."

"Snyder is getting his point across. He began his reign by firing 26 employees--13 in stadium operations, 10 in team operations and three groundskeepers at Redskin Park. "The stadium had out-of-control costs," says Snyder, who claims that the fired stadium staff wasted about $800,000 in utility costs this year. "They were running the air-conditioning in the off-season needlessly in the suites and club seats. At Redskin Park the fields were in bad shape. There were three guys trying to kill the players with their crappy fields, so I brought in the head of the grounds crew at the stadium to oversee the fieldwork. Shame on me for trying to make the fields perfect."

From that article, I guess we learned of the only Snyder personnel move that turned out well…he did hit on Larry Centers

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't see Harris as the splashy type. 

He is the splashy type but not right away....he'll let someone advise him to do something rather than order his football people to do it. He puts people in place to make decisions then supports them because he trusts them. I think he's gonna like RR and give him a chance....for better or worse..

14 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

He is the splashy type but not right away....he'll let someone advise him to do something rather than order his football people to do it. He puts people in place to make decisions then supports them because he trusts them. I think he's gonna like RR and give him a chance....for better or worse..

Harris was involved in the sale of the Broncos until the final stages. This is his second bid in 1 year. 

At this point, he’s probably got his immediate team assembled each with their own plans laid out to hit the ground running.

This isn’t Rivera hiring an O-line coach ****show.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

On 4/15/2023 at 12:15 AM, zCommander said:

All true. But TH wasn’t practicing with the 1’s until the week before his first start in the TB playoff game.  And had no real experience.  Up to that point he hadn’t finished a game he started.

If Ron wanted to play Howell, he could have. But he got stuck between a rock and a hard place: in spite of TH playing like ass for 58 minutes a game, and getting lucky for 2 minutes a game, the team was winning and Ron couldn’t do anything about it. He made the right choice to leave TH in, maybe a week or two too long. 

Should Ron have gone to Howell instead of Wentz?  Maybe.  I submit Ron had to stick with TH through the first Giants game.  Even though he sucked in every game.  After that, he should have made a change.  Either directly to Howell or back to Wentz.  Putting Wentz back in at the highest leverage point of the season was a mistake.  He needed to make the change earlier because it was clear TH’s luck had run out.  

I have no delusions as to what Howell could do.  He might be good.  He might not be.  The odds are against him.  But I am intrigued to see what he could be. If he isn’t good, then the next regime can choose their guy and see if that works. 

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

Harris was involved in the sale of the Broncos until the final stages. This is his second bid in 1 year. 

At this point, he’s probably got his immediate team assembled each with their own plans laid out to hit the ground running.

I seriously doubt anything is going to happen immediately just because of where we are in the calendar.  It’s possible the bring in a new GM quickly, but I doubt it affects Ron and the coaching staff directly, at least not immediately.  

And if Harris and his group think Ron and Martin are doing a good job with roster building, they all might get more leash.  That part is unknown.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

All true. But TH wasn’t practicing with the 1’s until the week before his first start in the TB playoff game.  And had no real experience.  Up to that point he hadn’t finished a game he started.

If Ron wanted to play Howell, he could have. But he got stuck between a rock and a hard place: in spite of TH playing like ass for 58 minutes a game, and getting lucky for 2 minutes a game, the team was winning and Ron couldn’t do anything about it. He made the right choice to leave TH in, maybe a week or two too long. 

Should Ron have gone to Howell instead of Wentz?  Maybe.  I submit Ron had to stick with TH through the first Giants game.  Even though he sucked in every game.  After that, he should have made a change.  Either directly to Howell or back to Wentz.  Putting Wentz back in at the highest leverage point of the season was a mistake.  He needed to make the change earlier because it was clear TH’s luck had run out.  

I have no delusions as to what Howell could do.  He might be good.  He might not be.  The odds are against him.  But I am intrigued to see what he could be. If he isn’t good, then the next regime can choose their guy and see if that works. 

I seriously doubt anything is going to happen immediately just because of where we are in the calendar.  It’s possible the bring in a new GM quickly, but I doubt it affects Ron and the coaching staff directly, at least not immediately.  

And if Harris and his group think Ron and Martin are doing a good job with roster building, they all might get more leash.  That part is unknown.  

I don’t think I’ve read (or posted) a single post on this forum suggesting Harris is going to fire the coaching staff before training camp. I think we can/should all proceed with that understanding. 🙂

But if Sean Payton is option 1…. I can’t wait to see who is Plan B.

2 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Totally agree. I don’t get the line of thinking that a guy leading a 6B purchase will write off the next 6 months plus to start over in January 2024. Don’t see it.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Totally agree. I don’t get the line of thinking that a guy leading a 6B purchase will write off the next 6 months plus to start over in January 2024. Don’t see it.

I don't get the line of thinking that the new owner will behave exactly like Snyder usually did and we'll be happy about it lol...He'll come in a fire everyone! He has no loyalty to anyone here! He'll dictate player moves! He spent a ton of money so he'll do whatever he wants!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I don't get the line of thinking that the new owner will behave exactly like Snyder usually did and we'll be happy about it lol...He'll come in a fire everyone! He has no loyalty to anyone here! He'll dictate player moves! He spent a ton of money so he'll do whatever he wants!!

The guy already owns 2 professional sports franchises… in 2 different sports. It’s his 2nd bid for an NFL franchise in the past year. The team has been on the market since November.

Im sure he’s been twiddling his thumbs… and he’ll get started once he’s learned everyone’s names and takes the NFL Intro to football weekend course. 😂😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Fairly exaggerated take that. 

I’d wager he makes 2 or 3 key strategical moves.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Except TH had played for Turner in the past and had experience with his offense. Howell was a rookie and just simply can't do that and the fact the real rock and a hard place Ron put on himself by telling Wentz Howell is no danger to him before he picked Howell in the draft. First call was to Wentz and then to Howell. 

I had no problem putting Wentz back in after the bye. I was expecting it and was surprised it didn't happen. Putting him in the Browns game was stupid and too late. But Ron being a peoples person "owed" Wentz in his mind. Maybe a self thing to sort out his own demons when he said all the NFC East teams had QBs and throwing Wentz under the bus in the process. 

Not putting Howell in realier wasn't going to happen since the "playoff run" the team was showing. You just simply can't insert a rookie in at that point unless he is only QB standing. The only way Howell was going to start if we were out of the playoffs. Which is exactly what happened by the last game. There is no doubt in my mind if we had been out of the playoffs with 4 games remaining then Howell would have been the starter.

I really like Howell and his potential. Don't know why but just have a good feeling for him. I have never had that before. Kirk was the last QB I thought could be a franchise QB. 

1 minute ago, Die Hard said:

The guy already owns 2 professional sports franchises… in 2 different sports. It’s his 2nd bid for an NFL franchise in the past year. The team has been on the market since November.

Im sure he’s been twiddling his thumbs… and he’ll get started once he’s learned everyone’s names and takes the NFL Intro to football weekend course. 😂😂

Yeah, maybe he’ll just keep things as they are. That’ll work....:kickcan: