Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Goff had a career year but if this is his new trajectory he's on a good path.

Stafford and Carr are in the same category IMO.  The advantage Stafford has is he's better off platform than Carr. 

Some here have compared Carr to Wentz which IMO is silly.  But the two IMO have one of the same weakness which is the way to beat them is collapse the pocket in the A gap -- they both seem to get flustered by it.   And Carr isn't Stafford IMO when you flush him out of the pocket and he needs to make a play off platform on the move.  I'd give Stafford a nod too in the red zone.  Carr doesn't stink in the red zone but he's not hot in the red zone either.  For those reasons, i think Carr is a good Qb not a great QB.

Stafford IMO's accuracy can be a bit inconsistent and makes his share of mistakes.

I'd take either QB -- assuming Stafford is healthy again?

I get those who say Carr at 40 million isn't worth it.  I agree.  But in that Wentz salary range 28 million or so i think he's a good get.

But I don't think I'd chase him here. 

Just to pick the nit a little...

Goff did not have a career year this year. 

image.png.d75b3d0e12613e27ad4682a184c60def.png

2018 was better. 2017 was about the same given he played in 2 less games. 

The key thing, to me, is the picks/ when comparing him to Stafford...

image.png.a6452a0f806f817fd5bb89c0c10023b4.png

Stafford is throwing 12/season (.88/game). Goff 10/season (.7/game). . 

I think Stafford is better with the ball and making plays. Not debatable. But I think Goff is close.

Stafford has thrown for double digit picks in every season in which he's been healthy for 10 or more games. 

These two are much closer than people think skill wise. People assume that because McVay opted for Stafford and gave up a ton for him that Stafford has to be better. And he might be for McVay, but I'm not sure he's all that much better as a QB. 

To make this more on topic, let's include Carr:

image.png.60259944b69adac052dfa189c5f05cc5.png

11 int/season (.69/game).

TDs:

Carr 24.11/season (1.52/game)

Stafford 23.78/season (1.75/game)

Goff  22.14/season (1.55/game)

I think the comparisons among the three make them all about the same, to be honest. And when I watch them I get this overwhelming feeling that they are like that one Spider-Man meme

image.png.83e769b9df0c3cbdbe19c48a0a8fdf99.png

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I don't see that at all.

No NFL team just hands a starting gig at the start of the offseason to a QB in Howells position. 1 game of XP and low investment asset.

Whenever players like that get the oppo to be the week 1 starter it is almost always after some combination of:

-A team has tried to upgrade in the off-season

-Put the young player in a QB comp

-Injuries in preseason forced the issue

-Young player named starter near end of pre-season

There are jobs on the line every year. Looking to lock down the QB sport or looking to pair Howell with good vet competition is not a slight against Howell in any way. Its just how the NFL operates.

The Russ Wilson's, Trevor Siemeon's and Dak's of the world all went thru this narrative. It would be wildly out of the norm to see this club sit on its hands and just do nothing to prevent Howell from being QB1, even if broke they will still likely make all the moves in their power to prevent this occurrence, and that is not Sam's fault in the slightest. Nature of the beast.

Derek Carr is a bonafide starter and you likely have to give him a big contract. This isn’t Matt Flynn who wasn’t established. 

Dak was drafted and won the job his rookie season.

It’s one thing to have Howell compete against someone like Brissett or Dalton.  It would be a competition. But if you sign Derek Carr I seriously doubt Rivera goes it’s a competition and let the best guy win. Howell would likely be going to the bench.

I am OK with rolling the dice on Howell if the team is genuinely jazzed about his prospects. My point in short is if they aren’t jazzed about Howell and they think meh then go get Carr.  But if they are into him then play the hand. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Derek Carr is a bonafide starter and you likely have to give him a big contract. This isn’t Matt Flynn. 

Dak was drafted and won the job his rookie season.

It’s one thing to have Howell compete against someone like Brissett or Dalton.  It would be a competition. But if you sign Derek Carr I seriously doubt Rivera goes it’s a competition and let the best guy win. Howell would likely be going to the bench.

I am OK with rolling the dice on Howell if the team is genuinely jazzed about his prospects. My point in short is if they aren’t jazzed about Howell and they think meh then go get Carr.

Romo got injured in pre-season week 3. Dak was never the off season plan for week 1.

If we get Carr he is insta QB1, but that is not what I am getting at.

I just don't agree that it is a slight on Howell to bring in other good QBs, whether they are here to totally overshadow him like a Carr, or compete with him like a Mayfield. 

I don't think its fair to call it throwing in the towel on Howell just b/c they will likely operate in a manner similar to every other NFL FO. They could believe Howell has the tools to be successful, but that should not stop them from either hedging their bets at the QB position to bring in competition or locking in a bonafide QB1.

You could have absolute 100% faith in Howell, but that does not mean you don't believe in him if you sign anything above a Gardner Minshew.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Just to pick the nit a little...

Goff did not have a career year this year. 

image.png.d75b3d0e12613e27ad4682a184c60def.png

2018 was better. 2017 was about the same given he played in 2 less games. 

The key thing, to me, is the picks/ when comparing him to Stafford...

image.png.a6452a0f806f817fd5bb89c0c10023b4.png

Stafford is throwing 12/season (.88/game). Goff 10/season (.7/game). . 

I think Stafford is better with the ball and making plays. Not debatable. But I think Goff is close.

Stafford has thrown for double digit picks in every season in which he's been healthy for 10 or more games. 

These two are much closer than people think skill wise. People assume that because McVay opted for Stafford and gave up a ton for him that Stafford has to be better. And he might be for McVay, but I'm not sure he's all that much better as a QB. 

To make this more on topic, let's include Carr:

image.png.60259944b69adac052dfa189c5f05cc5.png

11 int/season (.69/game).

TDs:

Carr 24.11/season (1.52/game)

Stafford 23.78/season (1.75/game)

Goff  22.14/season (1.55/game)

I think the comparisons among the three make them all about the same, to be honest. And when I watch them I get this overwhelming feeling that they are like that one Spider-Man meme

image.png.83e769b9df0c3cbdbe19c48a0a8fdf99.png

image.png

I guess for me it’s career from the context that he did it outside of McVays shadow. McVay seemed to get a lot of credit for his play. It was his best as to TD to Int. And best in years, but agree some of his peak seasons with the Rams were similar. 

Agree that all three QBs are in similar range.

Strange day for me.  For years I took arrows here defending Carr from a bunch of Carr naysayers. Today I am taking arrows for not loving Carr enough 😀

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I guess for me it’s career from the context that he did it outside of McVays shadow. McVay seemed to get a lot of credit for his play. It was his best as to TD to Int. And best in years, but agree some of his peak seasons with the Rams were similar. 

Agree that all three QBs are in similar range.

Strange day for me.  For years I took arrows here defending Carr from a bunch of Carr naysayers. Today I am taking arrows for not loving Carr enough 😀

I’m not really sending arrows your way. Im really more making a point that Stafford is overrated, Goff underrated and Carr is a good QB. 

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m not really sending arrows your way. Im really more making a point that Stafford is overrated, Goff underrated and Carr is a good QB. 

I wasn't suggesting you were sending arrows, just saying it feels like opposite day for me on this thread where I have to explain why I don't like Carr as much as so and so.  Usually its the complete opposite -- where i am pushing his play with others saying he's not that good.  :ols:

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Romo got injured in pre-season week 3. Dak was never the off season plan for week 1.

I just don't agree that it is a slight on Howell to bring in other good QBs, whether they are here to totally overshadow him like a Carr, or compete with him like a Mayfield. 

I don't think its fair to call it throwing in the towel on Howell just b/c they will likely operate in a manner similar to every other NFL FO. They could believe Howell has the tools to be successful, but that should not stop them from either hedging their bets at the QB position to bring in competition or locking in a bonafide QB1.

You could have absolute 100% faith in Howell, but that does not mean you don't believe in him if you sign anything above a Gardner Minshew.

I do agree that bringing someone in doesn't mean Howell isn't the guy. And I would say blindly believing Howell to be the guy is foolish. There's always a chance it works out, but there's a much, much greater chance it does not. So it makes sense to have something else to fall back on. But I'd also question the definition of "good". No one this team will likely bring in at QB will be a bona fide NFL starter. They're at best, some fringe guy, maybe somewhere between the 25th and 45th best QB in the league. A guy like a Marcus Mariota. Not someone you'd be embarrassed to start, but a guy with warts and clearly intended to be a back-up at this point in his career. I wouldn't really call that "good". It's passable. Bringing in someone passable makes sense.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Howell is headed to season 2, not season 1 and I think that matters in this context.   

IMO you don't sign a QB for multiple years, probably 3 years with major guaranteed money if the intention is Howell is the guy anytime in the near future.

Romo was already in house when they drafted Dak.   Heck I am good and even like the idea of drafting someone to give Howell competition -- that to me would be closer to apples to apples to the Dak-Romo situation.  Yeah Romo was a veteran but he was an aging injury prone one. Or as I and many others here advocated throw a veteran to compete.  But if you are throwing arguably a top 15 QB who is 31, it's not a competition. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

No NFL team just hands a starting gig at the start of the offseason to a QB in Howells position.

But teams do that all of the times when they select a QB in the 1st round. Howell gets dinged for not being selected in the 1st round. By the way this would be the 2nd season for Howell with the team and not first. So maybe in Howell position this is exactly what you want to do. Build a team around a semi-rookie on a transitional year, assuming the sale still goes through. And if he is not the guy then draft one next year. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, zCommander said:

But teams do that all of the times when they select a QB in the 1st round. Howell gets dinged for not being selected in the 1st round. By the way this would be the 2nd season for Howell with the team and not first. So maybe in Howell position this is exactly what you want to do. Build a team around a semi-rookie on a transitional year, assuming the sale still goes through. And if he is not the guy then draft one next year. 

Teams that spend a high draft pick on a QB have placed a significant investment in said player. That investment will be expected to be returned, so it is not unnatural for high pick players to start week 1 in their rookie or second year despite a total lack of XP. We see it all the time, teams gotta justify that high cost. These large investment players, both in draft pick or monetary cost, are often gifted plumb opportunities because of their draft status or cost. Do we often see players in Howell's position being tabbed in such a way? No, not without extraneous circumstances. Its how the NFL works. Its not fair, but that is the business. Sucks for Howell, but its not his fault.

I'm not saying Howell can't start, I'm saying there is practically no NFL franchise that has operated in a manner to give credence to the idea that we would make him QB1 right now, and have us construct our off season around the idea that he will be QB1. At best he can look forward to a fair QB competition.

I asked this open to everyone question before and I'll ask again. Give me an example of a team that both opened the off season naming a 1st or 2nd year player with small investment and little to no XP QB1 and having said player start opening day.

It is exceedingly rare and usually the only time these young low investment players get to be week 1 starters is either due to injury to the envisioned QB1 (like Dak replacing Romo) or wining a QB comp and being named the starter at the end of pre-season, which means the team did not go thru the offseason dead set on having that player start. (Russ Wilson, Trevor Simeon)

I think the trend will continue and we will swing our way thru vet QBs until we land one. It does not mean that vet will start depending on who ya reel in. You get some dude who costs 15+... 95% chance he will be the guy. If we have to get someone cheap, we'll have ourselves a fair contest.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, zCommander said:

But there is a significant difference between between a first round pick (and a high first rounder, which many QB picks are) and a fifth round pick. We can see the values on draft charts to help explain this. And frankly, even if Washington really believed in Howell, they wouldn't have waited until Round 5 to pick him. He's a dice roll and really an optimistic outcome is he becomes a decent backup. He could provide more, but it would basically be the in top .01% of outcomes. Compared to a first round QB, where becoming a decent start is far far more likely. It's all something of a gamble, but one gamble is far more likely to bear fruit than another.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jericho said:

But there is a significant difference between between a first round pick (and a high first rounder, which many QB picks are) and a fifth round pick. We can see the values on draft charts to help explain this. And frankly, even if Washington really believed in Howell, they wouldn't have waited until Round 5 to pick him. He's a dice roll and really an optimistic outcome is he becomes a decent backup. He could provide more, but it would basically be the in top .01% of outcomes. Compared to a first round QB, where becoming a decent start is far far more likely. It's all something of a gamble, but one gamble is far more likely to bear fruit than another.

Well if you look at the context of where we were at before the draft it made sense to not pick a QB that high. Traded for Wentz and TH was the backup. Now if they were not able to get a vet QB then they would have picked Howell (since they really liked him) with our 1st round pick. Sure no Dotson. But since he was still sitting there, a QB who was projected to go 1st or 2nd round it made sense to get him. Now people will counter that with, well 31 other teams passed on him as well, also context matters here as well. The draft was loaded with other positions instead since it was not very good QB class. Did we get lucky? I would like to think so. Time will tell. 

@FootballZombie We have done the vet route for the last 25+ years and it is not working. Time is now Howell and not pay yet another vet to come here and just be meh. Carr is better than Wentz but the price is not. We still need players to protect the QB and that won't happen if we put all of our eggs, once again, in the QB basket. Not a winning formula as demonstrated this year. 

And yes if a QB is selected in the 1st round the price and expectation is higher so that is why starting Howell is such a no brainer. There is no pressure of expectations when it comes to cost vs. value. 

39 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I asked before and I'll ask again. Give me an example of a team that both opened the off season naming a 1st or 2nd year player with small investment and little to no XP QB1 and having said player start opening day.

But Howell has not really been named the starter yet though. That is just the preferred option right now since that is all we have right now. 

Edited by zCommander

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And I know from previous debates, you think its false that Dan has cash flow problems.  It's on point as to the cap considering cash flow is a big part of playing the defer things to later game.  Not sure if your position has changed?   But even if it hasn't changed why would he pay big money for a QB on the way out of his ownership?

My position hasn’t really changed on that. I do think the point is over blown however we can disagree on that. 

In terms on why would he pay big money on the way out of the door, yeah that’s a valid point. From another perspective, if Dan were staying he would be investing that cash with no return. However if he invested that cash mid sale process I’m certain as part of the sale he would recoup that cash investment, or any money for that matter in escrow. You could also argue a top QB is enhancing the value of the overall asset up for sale. In effect he’s only out of pocket for a short while before getting it back IMO.

Likely depends how interested Dan is now. Is he bothered what Ron is doing. Does he care enough to financially back him at the minute. I would hope normal operations have to continue, including free agency for example. Time will tell.

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am OK with rolling the dice on Howell if the team is genuinely jazzed about his prospects

That’s the key point we don’t know isn’t it. I haven’t kept track much recently but I seem to remember watching the season end press conference, was it Ron with Mayhew, and a QB search seemed high on the agenda. I’ve maybe misinterpreted that though. Cant fully recall.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

My position hasn’t really changed on that. I do think the point is over blown however we can disagree on that. 

OK so if you still don't believe Dan has cash flow issues.  Then maybe the idea that Dan sells ultimately could be BS, too.   Because the two points seem to be running hand in hand for those talking about why he is selling.  If Dan ultimately doesn't sell I would agree that Carr is a more likely get then if he sells the team.

If Dan remains, he desperately needs to do something to juice the fan base.  Not sure Carr though does it.  But it would at a minimum add some intrigue to the season.  Without Dan, the main intrigue would ironically be Dan selling and new ownership.

In terms on why would he pay big money on the way out of the door, yeah that’s a valid point. From another perspective, if Dan were staying he would be investing that cash with no return. However if he invested that cash mid sale process I’m certain as part of the sale he would recoup that cash investment, or any money for that matter in escrow. You could also argue a top QB is enhancing the value of the overall asset up for sale. In effect he’s only out of pocket for a short while before getting it back IMO.

My point here as much as I like Derek Carr.  Like is the operative word.  I don't love him.  While there are reasons why he's a good QB that some on this thread IMO strangely don't give him any credit for and they see him as just a guy.  There are also reasons why he isn't a great QB.  IMO he's not some no brainer slam  dunk choice coming off the worst season of his career and about to turn 32 that the best is yet to come from him.  I like him more than most but there is some wildcard IMO to his future.  Be much less wildcard if he came cheap but that's unlikely.    If we didn't have Howell, I'd do it in a second though as long as the cap hit wasn't outrageous. 

So in turn, how do we know a new owner would dig paying 35 million or whatever it ends up being for the next few years or so for Carr.  I like Carr.  But judging by this thread, fans on twitter among other things, he's not the most universally embraced player. 

That’s the key point we don’t know isn’t it. I haven’t kept track much recently but I seem to remember watching the season end press conference, was it Ron with Mayhew, and a QB search seemed high on the agenda. I’ve maybe misinterpreted that though. Cant fully recall.

The rhetroic seems to be a mixed bag but very different from last off season.  In a press conference they said everything is on the table.  Got leaked soon after that they see Howell as QB A.  I go more with scuttlebutt than anything said publicly when it comes to this stuff.  And Keim among others believe that they want to go cheap at QB this season, they genuinely like Howell but want to give some competition.  Last off season they seem to be telegraphing both publicly and via leaks they are swinging big.  Seems like the opposite this time.

Somes like the consensus scuttlebutt right now is Howell versus name that cheap QB.

They were interested in Carr last year and that's the reason why I pushed and argued for it so much then.  The Raiders ultimately told them no.  Keim doesn't think they'd trade for him now.  As far chasing him if he's a FA, Keim wasn't sure what they would do.  Last year, I get the impression, they would have been all over it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK so if you still don't believe Dan has cash flow issues.  Then maybe the idea that Dan sells ultimately could be BS, too.   Because the two points seem to be running hand in hand for those talking about why he is selling.  If Dan ultimately doesn't sell I would agree that Carr is a more likely get then if he sells the team.

If Dan remains, he desperately needs to do something to juice the fan base.  Not sure Carr though does it.  But it would at a minimum add some intrigue to the season.  Without Dan, the main intrigue would ironically be Dan selling and new ownership.

My point here as much as I like Derek Carr.  Like is the operative word.  I don't love him.  While there are reasons why he's a good QB that some on this thread IMO strangely don't give him any credit for and they see him as just a guy.  There are also reasons why he isn't a great QB.  IMO he's not some no brainer slam  dunk choice coming off the worst season of his career and about to turn 32 that the best is yet to come from him.  I like him more than most but there is some wildcard IMO to his future.  Be much less wildcard if he came cheap but that's unlikely.    If we didn't have Howell, I'd do it in a second though as long as the cap hit wasn't outrageous. 

So in turn, how do we know a new owner would dig paying 35 million or whatever it ends up being for the next few years or so for Carr.  I like Carr.  But judging by this thread, fans on twitter among other things, he's not the most universally embraced player. 

The rhetroic seems to be a mixed bag but very different from last off season.  In a press conference they said everything is on the table.  Got leaked soon after that they see Howell as QB A.  I go more with scuttlebutt than anything said publicly when it comes to this stuff.  And Keim among others believe that they want to go cheap at QB this season, they genuinely like Howell but want to give some competition.  Last off season they seem to be telegraphing both publicly and via leaks they are swinging big.  Seems like the opposite this time.

Somes like the consensus scuttlebutt right now is Howell versus name that cheap QB.

They were interested in Carr last year and that's the reason why I pushed and argued for it so much then.  The Raiders ultimately told them no.  Keim doesn't think they'd trade for him now.  As far chasing him if he's a FA, Keim wasn't sure what they would do.  Last year, I get the impression, they would have been all over it.

My sense is some QB-needy team or teams will bid up on Carr beyond my willingness to pay for him (~$30-35M/year).

Let’s see what Howell can do. If you sign Carr, he’s your guy for at least 3 years which would take you thru the expiration of Howell’s rookie contract and he’d be heading into his age 26 season without having played.

Howell sat for a year and showed promise. Let’s ride with him this year and if it doesn’t work, we can always keep drafting guys.

8 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

My sense is some QB-needy team or teams will bid up on Carr beyond my willingness to pay for him (~$30-35M/year).

Let’s see what Howell can do. If you sign Carr, he’s your guy for at least 3 years which would take you thru the expiration of Howell’s rookie contract and he’d be heading into his age 26 season without having played.

Howell sat for a year and showed promise. Let’s ride with him this year and if it doesn’t work, we can always keep drafting guys.

That's more or less what I've said in multiple posts.

8 hours ago, RWJ said:

Carr in 23 won't happen.  The coaching staff and FO are in flux to say the least. 

Agree.  I'd be stunned if they chase Carr or for that matter any expensive QB.

Will see.  Only wildcard to me is if they really weren't high on Howell privately, which we don't know for sure one way or another.  But the rumbilings are they are high on his potential.  But even if that were not the case and they weren't high on Howell's potential, I suspect there are two things operating against those who want them to chase Carr.

A.  Dan selling.

B.  I suspect Ron wants to go cheap at QB and see that card played out for one season at least.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 9:19 PM, FootballZombie said:

Carr is QB1 over rated, paid, and nothing more than doing business like always when it comes to QB's if they trade for him, terrible option for Wash.  Hope he goes to NO. No need to set the team back another 3/4 years with another big contract at the expense of filling holes with rookie contracts. Thumbs down for me.  

All this talk about Carr, who’s not coming here.

Right now, if Aaron wants to be traded; he’s the #1 qb teams would want. I see Jets and Raiders as likely destinations.

Carr would then be the 2nd qb desired, then Jimmy G.  Carr would be then have to settle for Indy or Carolina if Jets are off the table. Jimmy G would go to Raiders if they didn’t want to draft one.

Carr is hoping Aaron stays put or retires. Jets seems like the place where a qb can get money because Carolina and Indy have option of drafting a qb and that might be the better option.

I don’t see Washington pursuing the 1st tier qbs. Not with Dan selling the team. The team is on a budget.

4 hours ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Are the top 3 QBs in the NFC really 1) Hurts 2) Prescott and 3) Jones.  That's scary and sucks for us.  I think those three are all better than Purdy, Murray, Cousins, Stafford, and old Rodgers.  

We desperately need Howell to be our miracle.  

Hurts yes at the moment, Prescot do not fear at all, Jones up and down hope Giants sign him.  For me I would take Purdy, Rodges, Cousins, and maybe Stafford over Prescot or Jones any Sunday.  Dak is like Cousins never going to make it to the top. Jones is a low budget, Cousins.  Rodgers is still the best of the rest. 3 AFC QB's are better than NFC's best.  

1 minute ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

All this talk about Carr, who’s not coming here.

Right now, if Aaron wants to be traded; he’s the #1 qb teams would want. I see Jets and Raiders as likely destinations.

Carr would then be the 2nd qb desired, then Jimmy G.  Carr would be then have to settle for Indy or Carolina if Jets are off the table. Jimmy G would go to Raiders if they didn’t want to draft one.

Carr is hoping Aaron stays put or retires. Jets seems like the place where a qb can get money because Carolina and Indy have option of drafting a qb and that might be the better option.

I don’t see Washington pursuing the 1st tier qbs. Not with Dan selling the team. The team is on a budget.

Aaron is a much better option no dout.  He is the only one that is worth the big money (my opinion).  Carr, Jimmy G. have done nothing in their pass, to put a team over the top that I can see and would be 4 years of the same.  Aaron might still have a few years left and it might benefit Howell too. A  2/3 year deal with the contract spread out over 3/4.  Need to sign, Draft OL, TE, all-purpose back. Most likely lose Payne and maybe a few others,  And have to fight the Jets over him with comp to GB.  Of course Snyder's sale would have to be done first.