Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

33 minutes ago, London Kev said:

Looks like the wives went shoe shopping together, that's got to be a good sign.

That's not how this works. It goes something like this:

Later that evening in the hotel lobby

Ciara: Can you believe that **** was wearing the same shoes as me? Who does she think she is?

Russel: I don't think she meant anything by it, babe.

Ciara: **** that ****! You are NEVER playing in DC!

Russel: Lower your voice she's coming down the stairs.

Ciara: HEY GIRL YOU LOOK SO PRETTY!

End scene

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, SonnySideUp said:

The problem is, I don't know if this team has the capability of developing a draft pick that needs work into a really good QB the way many other teams have been able to.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2952630-malik-willis-is-nfl-drafts-most-polarizing-qb-prospect-in-weak-class

Zampese is considered one of the better QB coaches in the league in some circles.  Heck he helped made Dalton look competent.  Ditto some undrafted FA off the streets who was out of football.

I think we can develop a guy.  the bigger question IMO though is do we have that guy in THIS draft.  

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

That's not how this works. It goes something like this:

Later that evening in the hotel lobby

Ciara: Can you believe that **** was wearing the same shoes as me? Who does she think she is?

Russel: I don't think she meant anything by it, babe.

Ciara: **** that ****! You are NEVER playing in DC!

Russel: Lower your voice she's coming down the stairs.

Ciara: HEY GIRL YOU LOOK SO PRETTY!

End scene

Russell: Don't worry babe, like I have always said, I would never play for Daniel ****ing Snyder.  That Jon sure is a great guy though.

• Haha 1

I think I’m all in on Willis. He could be a bust if he doesn’t put it together on the field but his arm and traits are elite. I agree with the scout who said he’s the only QB with the talent to be elite. 

If the staff feels similarly I hope we have some pre draft calls with the Top 4 to try and move up on draft day. Pair him with Mariota and I think we might have something. 

I think it’s also encouraging that he adjusted so quickly at the Senior Bowl. Shows he has the ability to adapt. 

Just now, 88Comrade2000 said:

You draft a qb and hope for the best. If he’s truly a bust, even after one year; you draft again.

Until you find that guy; you draft as many times as you have to.

I think that would've been a good idea for Ron year 1. This is year 3 and I fear he will have to trade up for a a guy like Willis. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I think that would've been a good idea for Ron year 1. This is year 3 and I fear he will have to trade up for a a guy like Willis. 

It depends on how the draft flows. This draft there isn’t someone where someone will trade up; like San Fran did before the draft.

We will have to see if there are trades and what happens in free agency first.

My fear is that Ron signs or trades for some veteran and that’s it. 

2 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

It depends on how the draft flows. This draft there isn’t someone where someone will trade up; like San Fran did before the draft.

We will have to see if there are trades and what happens in free agency first.

My fear is that Ron signs or trades for some veteran and that’s it. 

I think if he signs a Vet he doubles down and drafts a guy in the second round or later. 

We aren’t rolling into 2022 with Willis and Heinecke. Willis isn’t someone you’d want to pencil into start unless he’s just too good to keep off the field. 

So we will add a veteran in FA at a minimum. Don’t freak out if and when we sign Mariota or Trubisky. Those guys are stopgaps for a rookie. 

My only fear if Willis is viewed as a possible elite project is a team like Detroit falls in love and takes him. And frankly if Willis has that sort of upside, they SHOULD take him. I just hope their defensive minded coach locks in on a defender and opts to use future 1’s on a QB. If Willis falls to #4 I’m trying like hell to get there ahead of NYG and CAR. Again, IF this staff feels Willis can be a Top end QB. If they don’t, then let the draft came to you and take him at #11 … or Corral … or Pickett. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think I’m all in on Willis. He could be a bust if he doesn’t put it together on the field but his arm and traits are elite. I agree with the scout who said he’s the only QB with the talent to be elite. 

If the staff feels similarly I hope we have some pre draft calls with the Top 4 to try and move up on draft day. Pair him with Mariota and I think we might have something. 

I think it’s also encouraging that he adjusted so quickly at the Senior Bowl. Shows he has the ability to adapt. 

I don’t think we will make the move up to get him. I am just about sold that Pittsburgh is going to try for Mariota/Willis combo. And they are going to go all in. 

9 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We aren’t rolling into 2022 with Willis and Heinecke. Willis isn’t someone you’d want to pencil into start unless he’s just too good to keep off the field. 

So we will add a veteran in FA at a minimum. Don’t freak out if and when we sign Mariota or Trubisky. Those guys are stopgaps for a rookie. 

My only fear if Willis is viewed as a possible elite project is a team like Detroit falls in love and takes him. And frankly if Willis has that sort of upside, they SHOULD take him. I just hope their defensive minded coach locks in on a defender and opts to use future 1’s on a QB. If Willis falls to #4 I’m trying like hell to get there ahead of NYG and CAR. Again, IF this staff feels Willis can be a Top end QB. If they don’t, then let the draft came to you and take him at #11 … or Corral … or Pickett. 

If we sign someone like Mariota or Trubisky I would take that as a very strong sign we are going to take a QB in the first two rounds of the draft. 

Various media and beat guys are now saying they expect Willis to go top ten. Long way to go in this process but QBs normally rise up boards the further into it we go. I would be thinking now that both Willis and Pickett could be gone before we draft if we stay at 11.

And I do not want to trade up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

So, we're at 11 in a bad QB draft and we're still going to be drawn into a bidding war to move up to 2 for the only QB that might be worth it and probably would have gone in the second if it was last years draft. Awesome. 

God I hope not. 

I have the view now that my plan would be to try to sign Winston/Mariota/Trubisky in free agency (in that order of preference) and try to trade back to pick up extra picks in next years draft. 

Play out next season with say Winston as your starter and Heinicke as the backup and hope Winston catches fire. If he is meh at best you place everything we have on trading up to get a QB next year. 

Stroud, Young, Haener. All would probably be higher ranked than anyone in this class.

Of course my job is not in the line so I have nothing to lose by waiting a year apart from time. And it’s been 30 years already so what’s another year?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

So, we're at 11 in a bad QB draft and we're still going to be drawn into a bidding war to move up to 2 for the only QB that might be worth it and probably would have gone in the second if it was last years draft. Awesome. 

:ols: this is my exact fear. We're going to panic draft someone worse than Haskins when there will be plenty of valuable talent on the board to stockpile or trade back to reload for next draft

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MartinC said:

God I hope not. 

I have the view now that my plan would be to try to sign Winston/Mariota/Trubisky in free agency (in that order of preference) and try to trade back to pick up extra picks in next years draft. 

Play out next season with say Winston as your starter and Heinicke as the backup and hope Winston catches fire. If he is meh at best you place everything we have on trading up to get a QB next year. 

Stroud, Young, Haener. All would probably be higher ranked than anyone in this class.

Of course my job is not in the line so I have nothing to lose by waiting a year apart from time. And it’s been 30 years already so what’s another year?

11 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

:ols: this is my exact fear. We're going to panic draft someone worse than Haskins when there will be plenty of valuable talent on the board to stockpile or trade back to reload for next draft

We blew it last year and now we're in panic mode. If teams start to jump us that means Stingly or Hamilton are going to be there at 11. Smart money would trade the pick for a 1rst next year, so we can go get our guy. However, because of last year, we can't. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

We blew it last year and now we're in panic mode. If teams start to jump us that means Stingly or Hamilton are going to be there at 11. Smart money would trade the pick for a 1rst next year, so we can go get our guy. However, because of last year, we can't. 

If Hamilton is there, you either take a king's ransom for the pick so you can draft a QB next year or take Hamilton. Hamilton solidifies the defense and allows them to go all in on a QB next draft

• Like 2

Just now, Barry.Randolphe said:

If Hamilton is there, you either take a king's ransom for the pick so you can draft a QB next year or take Hamilton. Hamilton solidifies the defense and allows them to go all in on a QB next draft

We can't take another season of Heinicke failure football from the QB position though. Signing Winston or Mariotta, while definitely an improvement, doesn't move the needle on a rebranded team that's hemorrhaging fans. I think we're a playoff team with a bad starting level QB, but its not enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

If we sign someone like Mariota or Trubisky I would take that as a very strong sign we are going to take a QB in the first two rounds of the draft. 

Various media and beat guys are now saying they expect Willis to go top ten. Long way to go in this process but QBs normally rise up boards the further into it we go. I would be thinking now that both Willis and Pickett could be gone before we draft if we stay at 11.

And I do not want to trade up.

That's what I am guessing right now.  Willis and Pickett go before our pick.  But the rest of them will be there at 11. 

From the Athletic

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 11.17.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 11.18.08 AM.png

32 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Feels to me something like this.  They went house hunting last year, they had a number of good possibilities but wanted to get it for the right deal.  They had no panic about punting on it because hey things just pop up like they did the previous year so why worry?  Mac Jones wasn't talked about leading into that season as a top prospect.  Ditto Zach Wilson.   Kyler Murray popped out of the blue. etc.  Hey no one thought Stafford would hit the market, etc.

And heck spilling off of that year, rumors surfaced that Wilson, Rodgers, Watson would likely hit the trade market.  Maybe Carr.  So if anything they might have felt next year would be an even better year to shop for that house.  They'd also have more money to put that down payment on the house at that point so its a win win.

So in short they felt the prudent thing was don't overpay for a house now but if they have to overpay for the house next year so be it.  I didn't agree with the strategy at the time but I understood the logic.  But it looks like it might backfire from the context of having bad luck ala what this franchise is accustomed to.

Now we've hit the current housing market, interest rates sunk, its a bigger sellers market, too many buyers without enough houses, prices are up and there might not be much on the market.   

So it looks like they were banking on normal kind of luck, including a new Zack or Mac Jones will pop in the draft.  That didn't happen.  And the dominos of Wilson, Carr, Rodgers hitting the market might not unfold.  Also to make it worse all the bad PR about Dan instead of going away with the benefit from time and distance has resurfaced at the worst possible time. 

Now houses that they could blow off last year like Trubisky might sadly be the best they can find in the current market. 

Lol, I would hate to be in that FO right now trying to figure out how to solve this pickle.    To me you got to do this:

A.  Overpay for a top QB.  Just outbid every other team and hope that Ron can talk said player into coming here.

B.  If that doesn't work sign Trubisky or Mariota and take the PR hit for it for 6 weeks or so and then draft a guy and hope the guy you draft ends up the guy and for now keeps the fans engaged. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Feels to me something like this.  They went house hunting last year, they had a number of good possibilities but wanted to get it for the right deal.  They had no panic about punting on it because hey things just pop up like they did the previous year so why worry?  Mac Jones wasn't talked about leading into that season as a top prospect.  Ditto Zach Wilson.   Kyler Murray popped out of the blue. etc.  Hey no one thought Stafford would hit the market, etc.

And heck spilling off of that year, rumors surfaced that Wilson, Rodgers, Watson would likely hit the trade market.  Maybe Carr.  So if anything they might have felt next year would be an even better year to shop for that house.  They'd also have more money to put that down payment on the house at that point so its a win win.

So in short they felt the prudent thing was don't overpay for a house now but if they have to overpay for the house next year so be it.  I didn't agree with the strategy at the time but I understood the logic.  But it looks like it might backfire from the context of having bad luck ala what this franchise is accustomed to.

Now we've hit the current housing market, interest rates sunk, its a bigger sellers market, prices are up and there might not be much on the market.   

So it looks like they were banking in their defense on normal kind of luck, mainly a new Zack or Mac Jones will pop in the draft.  That didn't happen.  And the dominos of Wilson, Carr, Rodgers hitting the market might not unfold.  Also to make it worse all the bad PR about Dan instead of going away with the benefit from time and distance has resurfaced at the worst possible time. 

Now houses that they could blow off last year like Trubisky might sadly be the best they can find in the current market. 

Lol, I would hate to be in that FO right now trying to figure out how to solve this pickle.    To me you got to do this:

A.  Overpay for a top QB.  Just outbid every other team and hope that Ron can talk said player into coming here.

B.  If they doesn't work sign Trubisky or Mariota and take the PR hit for it for 6 weeks or so and then draft a guy and hope the guy you draft ends up the guy and for now keeps the fans engaged. 

That's a great analogy and exactly right IMO. I'm interested to see if we are one of the teams in the Willis lottery. I think that's the only draft home run we could hit. Sucks we'd have to go get that #2 pick though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

You draft a qb and hope for the best. If he’s truly a bust, even after one year; you draft again.

Until you find that guy; you draft as many times as you have to.

Wasting all those picks on QB, he'll never have a team around him to properly judge him

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's a great analogy and exactly right IMO. I'm interested to see if we are one of the teams in the Willis lottery. I think that's the only draft home run we could hit. Sucks we'd have to go get that #2 pick though.

I am dying to hear Keim's podcasts next week because by then he'd get the goods on what they think of these QBs post Senior Bowl.

But pre Senior Bowl, I get the impression that they wouldn't trade up for these QBs in part because they don't see mega seperation between them.

The impression pre Senior Bowl: 

A. They are intrigued with Strong or Ridder in the 2nd.

B. Pickett they think is the most pro ready and would take him but wouldn't trade up for him

C.  Keim seemed to hint Corral in a trade down in the first but he was vague about it so I might be misinterperting him.

Didn't get the impression then they'd shoot for Willis.  And Howell wasn't mentioned.

Keim also thought they are likely going to find their starting QB before the draft.

• Like 1