Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I'd be curious to learn what they saw in Sam as opposed to the other UDFA QB's.  

I have wondered about that in years past. Has anyone ever predicted the free agent rookie QB that we ended up bringing in? 

It seems like a dart throw and them taking someone no one has any expectations of. Which may be code for: and thus someone that could never cause our starter to look over their shoulder.

On 5/5/2024 at 7:27 AM, Jericho said:

What is this, Somali piracy?

giphy.gif

The Steelers are good because they have a system, hire people that fit their system, and then stick to said system. Do you really think Tomlin pulled some power play and just told Khan to sit in the corner? And the owners were like...that sound fine. We've seen time and time again that when you give personal decisions to coaches (like Rivera here or Belichick in New England) that it tends to go poorly. The only guy who I think did it somewhat well was Jimmy Johnson in Miami. He didn't last long there and, like everyone, had trouble finding a QB. But to blame Tomlin for QB failures when: (1) he is NOT the GM; and (2) EVERYONE has trouble finding QBs is a pretty big stretch.

And Bill Walsh, but Bill Walsh also kind of poisoned the well with the Steve Young Acquisition. I think Walsh was every  bit as good as Jimmy (who showed that there was a ceiling to what he could do without a franchise QB, and an idiotic franchise and dumber than hell media and leaguescape to analyze the swindling he took them for on Walker 30someodd years ago). 

Walsh was the genius before any of those guys, and then probably Paul Brown, and Halas (maybe Halas, my knowledge doesn't go back that far). 

On 5/5/2024 at 8:09 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

It’s interesting, I really don’t have any memories of McNabb and don’t associate anything to him at all.  

He played what, 10 games? 12? And then was benched?  Or something like that? 

I also have literally no memory of the number Wentz wore.  I knew McNabb wore 5 because he tortured us with the Eagles for a decade.  

maybe it’s because I just repress bad memories, and maybe I need therapy for that.  But I don’t have any association of McNabb and #5.  

I don’t actually care what number he wears.  I kindof would like him to wear a double digit number in the hopes having 2 numbers on his jersey makes him look bigger…

There's a reason. It was a bad trade for a "done" player in a lost season that carries no positive feelings whatsoever. I can't even remember a single pass he threw, and I remember Stan Humphries, Cary Conklin and Rich Gannon as redskins. 

10 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I have wondered about that in years past. Has anyone ever predicted the free agent rookie QB that we ended up bringing in? 

It seems like a dart throw and them taking someone no one has any expectations of. Which may be code for: and thus someone that could never cause our starter to look over their shoulder.

Good question - perhaps, they're some very savvy folks here. Definitely a dart throw I agree - personally I wanted BYU's Kedon Slovis but he is a Colt now. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Good question - perhaps, they're some very savvy folks here. Definitely a dart throw I agree - personally I wanted BYU's Kedon Slovis but he is a Colt now. 

We dont even stop to ask what is the guy here for.

Dart throw for a Brady, or a guy cut from the mold of the starter to be able to run the same offense if pressed into emergency QB3 duty?  Or, cut from the mold of most the leagues QB to be able to run the scout team. Wonderlicker king so they can digest the playbook quickly? Or someone that ran a system most similar to what we will implement?

We only know for sure what they are NOT here for - to compete for the starting job. Odd isnt it.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

We dont even stop to ask what is the guy here for.

Dart throw for a Brady, or a guy cut from the mold of the starter to be able to run the same offense if pressed into emergency QB3 duty?  Or, cut from the mold of most the leagues QB to be able to run the scout team. Wonderlicker king so they can digest the playbook quickly? Or someone that ran a system most similar to what we will implement?

We only know for sure what they are NOT here for - to compete for the starting job. Odd isnt it.

Good thoughts. Sam is not exactly the QB I envision to run Kingsbury's offense if Jayden were to go down. But, I certainly could also be way off base. I also think his Wonderlic score was average. It will be interesting to watch his progress.

• Like 1

Re: Hartman–it was posted in the UDFA thread that he spent the entire pre-draft process with Jayden and that they likely "endorsed" each other, or something to that effect. I believe the phrase "study buddy" was used, so I think he's specifically here to help Jayden and learn alongside him. Screenshot_20240514-124806.thumb.png.b772ebad3da6a98b5b75c40dea20c13d.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Good thoughts. Sam is not exactly the QB I envision to run Kingsbury's offense if Jayden were to go down. But, I certainly could also be way off base. I also think his Wonderlic score was average. It will be interesting to watch his progress.

Obvious his Joe Nameth Adonis like looks will get some laughs but hey it wouldn't be the first time someone got a job based on their looks. EDIT: Or he was smart enough to hang with the studs of the QB class. Blend in with the crowd.

I love the underdog and we'll get a good dose of him in preseason. But he better not shine too bright. Us old timers know how quickly this city can become divided. Heck I may even dust off my Babe Laufenberg away jersey one day.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

🤷‍♂️ @RWJ wanted us to draft Hartman in the late rounds so I assume he’s thrilled to get him as an UDFA. I don’t think it’s random, it’s more a ****tail of what’s available + how Peters and the QB-oriented coaches feel about his tangibles/intangibles + how attractive a destination we are (or aren’t) for an UDFA 

We were paying well and we’re arguably a great landing spot for a long-term developmental backup QB. Probably depends on whether he has starting aspersions (aka how realistic is he about his most likely future in this league as a backup QB). The fact he signed here tells me he knows he’s likely a career backup. Or maybe he just loved Quinn and new regime stability. Who knows.

• Koolblue13 changed the title to The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut
3 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

I'd be curious to learn what they saw in Sam as opposed to the other UDFA QB's.  

DQ gave a bit of a Ron Rivera answer to this but here it is for your reading pleasure.

Dan Quinn reveals what Washington Commanders saw from Sam Hartman | Yardbarker

In his first season as the head coach of the Washington Commanders, Dan Quinn has clearly made a decision to reset the team’s quarterback room. That started with drafting Jayden Daniels out of LSU in the first round and culminated with adding Notre Dame quarterback Sam Hartman as an undrafted free agent.

Now, while at Rookie Minicamp, Quinn has shared what Washington saw in Hartman to bring him in.

“Number one, you’re always looking to push to see where you can get to, what does it look like,” Dan Quinn said. “Going through that process, we weren’t just looking at these four or five quarterbacks. You went all the way through it. So, you’re always trying to develop the next, the next, the next to see where it would go, and we were really impressed by what we saw from Sam.”

Quarterbacks were in high demand during the NFL Draft, with six going in the first round and 11 throughout the draft. That included big names like Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, and Drake Maye going one, two, three. That’s where Washington picked up its quarterback for the future with Daniels. However, in the scouting process, they still saw Sam Hartman and liked how he performed.

“So, we actually were there on one of the visits that we took, Adam and I, to California and Michigan and Louisiana, and North Carolina. We also went to Notre Dame and spent a day and a half or two days there as well. So, during that process, we got to know him better, found out more, and so those were important dates for us not just for the selection that we made at two, but down the road as well.”

Shortly following the NFL Draft, Sam Hartman signed with the Washington Commanders as an undrafted free agent. In a move that proved how much Washington liked him, they gave him one of the biggest deals among undrafted players, with a $20,000 signing bonus and $225,000 base salary guarantee.

Sam Hartman played at Notre Dame in 2023 and at Wake Forest for five seasons before that. Over the course of his career, he completed 59.8 percent of passes for 15,656 yards and 134 touchdowns. He also ran for 978 yards and 20 touchdowns.

Now, Dan Quinn and the Washington Commanders are hoping that the experienced college quarterback can transition to the NFL and develop into someone who can contribute in the coming years, even if that means contributing behind Jayden Daniels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sinews said:

Re: Hartman–it was posted in the UDFA thread that he spent the entire pre-draft process with Jayden and that they likely "endorsed" each other, or something to that effect. I believe the phrase "study buddy" was used, so I think he's specifically here to help Jayden and learn alongside him. Screenshot_20240514-124806.thumb.png.b772ebad3da6a98b5b75c40dea20c13d.png

Jayden best be careful messing around with "love 'em and leave 'em" Hartman. 

He's the kind of dude you don't bring home to meet your girlfriend.

Unless you don't mind when she suddenly sends you to the grocery store to get a bag of ice and some Cheetos, then you get back and there's a note on the dining room table saying, "Sam and I decided to go out and  get better acquainted. No need to wait up."

• Haha 2

On 5/7/2024 at 10:10 AM, Command The 414 said:

Of course you can say way back when the Yankees handed out #’s in conjunction with their batting lineup… thus Ruth being 3 and Mantle 4 and Joe DiMaggio 5 etc….

You shouldn't post stuff because you are wrong and bad and wrong and this is dumb because it's wrong. 

Like this is insanley wrong, and I hate you for it.

Mantle was supposed to be #6. After Ruth #3, Gerhig #4, DiMaggio #5. He was assigned #6 but got sent back down to the minors after his initial call-up. When he returned, he wanted to be #7.

George Costanza also wanted to name his child "Seven" after Mantle.

Seriously, it's like the most famous number is sports. Every Boomer male knew it because it was on the baseball cards their moms threw away.

By the way, my Father in Law had a mother who did not throw away his baseball cards. He's already distributed some of them to his son and to me. 50s baseball cards are art.

• Like 2

What do you guys think? Saw a bunch of scout reports suggesting the arm just isn't good enough, but Dane's piece over at the athletic suggests it might just be fine, or at least good enough to get by as a backup/starter in a pinch. Interesting. 

5 hours ago, Commander Chaaarmnder said:

It’s pretty obvious, his dashingly good looks and amazing hair.

the beard! you forgot the beard

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

What do you guys think? Saw a bunch of scout reports suggesting the arm just isn't good enough, but Dane's piece over at the athletic suggests it might just be fine, or at least good enough to get by as a backup/starter in a pinch. Interesting. 

we lived through Brunell, Rex Grossman, Colt McCoy, Alex Smith, and Heinicke. his arm is good enough for a backup.

15 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

We still have Driskel I think. 4 QBs on the roster sounds about right for an off season.

Driskel will have an uphill battle to beat out Hartman with his low cap hit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Driskel will have an uphill battle to beat out Hartman with his low cap hit.

Seems like they're similar hits, and Driskel has 11 starts in his bag, okay to meh stats, but he hasn't been Zach Wilson bad or really close to that. I tend to think Driskel's more attractive in that he can step in and play, not sold Hartman ever can. Granted Mariota is filling the same role, but at this point I'm not sure Mariota is better than Driskel (Mariota has the better seasons, for sure, '15 and '16, but he's not done anything of note since, and Driskel's been fine afterwards). It kinda makes sense that they'd go with Hartman to have a developmental guy beyond the vet clipboard guy, but Driskel can run too, and has a track record of solid competent floor starts. 

I wonder what direction they go, they've got a weird multi year deal with Hartman, and a 1 and done with Driskel. Personally, I'd keep Driskel, and dump Mariota.