Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

29 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

You’re basing that off a pending QB decision solely driven by your own amateur GM draft prospect view. 

I'd add we've all had some dumb takes with the benefit of hindsight.  And none of it is a condemnation of anyone.  It's perfectly fine to accuse any FO and any of GM of making big mistakes and failing more than succeeding because its true.  That's the nature of this as we know more fail than succeed.  If you are batting 40% in the draft you are one of the best in the game.  John Schenider who some say is the best in the business has had multiple bad drafts.  it happens.  All of them screw up.  And I know that's the point by some.  But also we all screw up, too.  It's not just THEM. :ols:

The idea that failure doesn't extend to us fans is as we know not true.  i can recall some of the takes of some on this thread that look ridiculous with the power of hindsight.  Big swings and big misses.  And they've made the points at the time with a similar full force of authority-confidence.  And I have missed, too.  And big.  We all have.  That's the nature of this.

In real time, it felt like plenty thought dudes like Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen were the sensible picks in that draft.  Not wildly inconsistent Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson who shouldn't even be playing QB.  I can recall like yesterday really smart people who are also on this thread debating me like I am a moron for not endorsing the idea of trading for Josh Rosen -- Rosen's footwork, his pedigree, its all there, its a no brainer, etc.  I recall multiple people on the draft thread saying Terry McLaurin "sucks" before the draft.  I recall bringing up Mahomes and being made fun of.  I wasn't a big fan of Mahomes but i had a whit of intrigue, I recall mentioning his name and getting ridiculed for it.

On my end, I liked some prospects like Corral, Fields, M. Jones -- didn't love them but liked them enough and they've sucked.  So we all have our crosses to bear on the subject not just the professionals who get it wrong.

To that point if we are that assured that this time we are infalliable, and this time we are correct.  It feels just like I said in another post we are our own mini-Dans.  Dan's issue among others is that he didn't trust the professionals.  He had his own wants.  And he was uber emotional about his wants.  And had short patience for the professionals to do their job.  It feels like that's the playbook that some are using here.

If we want to be the new Washington.  Trust the professionals.  And have some patience for them.  IMHO. 😎

And look am not saying I don't have a preference.  On that front, I stick to my guns.  But once the pick is made I'll ride it and trust it. And if it fails then I'll give them a hard time.  But I'll give it a chance to play out.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

I really like Daniels release. He doesn’t need a lot of space tho throw the ball. One thing I’ve noticed with Maye is he has a tendency to drop the ball to around his belt level during his release on most throws. You can really see it in the Syracuse game 2023. 

Edited by mac8887
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, redskinss said:

And it's not that I didn't believe you, just that one poll doesn't mean it's a forgone conclusion that fans prefer jayden.

As has also been said there's no way of knowing how many fans of other teams are voting in these polls too.

It just doesn't feel to me like there's a heavy favorite either way.

When you say to my post that specifically talked about the poll "there's no reason to think our fanbase would have radically different opinions than theirs." when showing a poll that Pats fans prefer Maye -- it doesn't come off that you believed that there was a poll which showed the opposite.  So I responded.  but its all cool.  It's all good.

Also context is in play, I spend too much time on twitter and watching draft shows.  I've watched a slew of Patriot ones because Breer is on them a lot and he has good scoops and Nat Tice is on many of them too -- and I like to use Tice for pushing pro Maye narratives for months here. 

So in short, it seems like the Pats shows over time feel more resigned to Daniels coming here where the debate has turned more towards McCarthy versus Maye. And they are getting a good steady stream of pro-Maye takes.  Tice is arguably his biggest fan and Breer is really positive too.  Has that affected fan attitudes?  Not sure.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If we want to be the new Washington.  Trust the professionals.  And have some patience for them.  IMHO. 😎

And look am not saying I don't have a preference.  On that front, I stick to my guns.  But once the pick is made I'll ride it and trust it. And if it fails then I'll give it a hard time.  But I'll give it a chance to play out.

Same, got personal preferences, but willing to be open minded to give it longer than draft night before I’ve bailed out :rofl89:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

You can trust the regime while still questioning them. They shouldn't be immune to criticism. 

Questioning is OK.  But anyone who is out on them for making a call before it even plays out feels wild to me.

Also the point that some made a few days ago or so that 

A.  Taking Maye and him failing and Daniels succeeding -- is perfectly OK for Peters.  No criticism deserved for that if it happens

B.  Taking Daniels and if Maye is better than him that is a fireable offense.

So in short there is only one right answer and one wrong answer.  😎. It's a bridge too far for me.

I'll use myself as an example I like McConkey over Adonai Mitchell.  Although I recognize that more disagree with me than agree with me on that matchup.  But if i go look I am that sold on McConkey and that against Mitchell that I am out on this regime if they took Mitchell.  And in turn them taking McConkey and him sucking and Mitchell succeeding -- that's fine, no harm no foul.  But them taking Mitchell and if McConkey succeeds more -- that's a fireable offense.   

Look I am a brother in arms with the lets take Maye crowd here.  Been somewhat leading it if anything and I combated the over the top Daniels people as much as i could for months. 😎.  I've been talking up  Maye for like 6 months.  I've watched and rewatched him more than any prospect.  I feel like its a stock that I have put a lot of investment in.    But I am not absolutely sure there is a right or wrong answer here.  

I'll use polarzing RG3 to rile some up :ols: on this new video he just posted.  While I disagree with him that Daniels is better.  I do agree with him that both are very good prospects and that the 2 QBs are different flavors.  One scout said verbatim the same thing more or less. 

And lol, again this still could end up Maye.  I am just braced that it might be Daniels.  I still think its 50-50. 

Just now, Dah-Dee said:

90% of posters in this thread on draft night:

Professor x charles xavier GIF on GIFER - by Sinweaver

lol, that's what worries me.  :ols:

I want Maye.  But...

A. Daniels to me is fine

B. i am not out on Peters and the regime for going with Daniels if that's what happens.

But heck it felt like panic about Quinn at the time and i think its aged well.  If they take Daniels i suspect most will get over it.  But I gather it will be a dark day on draft day to some if it goes down.  Just like Quinn on day 1 was a dark day to some, too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

This is why being a fan who gets as invested in this team as we do is a fool's errand.  This is such a a bad franchise, it's not fun being a fan for it.

If this off-season is a bust, I think it's going to be pretty hard to care about the team any more.  Football is a great game, and the NFL is a great show, but following a specific team is boring when they can't compete.  The Commanders are boring.  They need a rebuild that I can actually believe in to sustain my interest, because I can find better hobbies.

Yeah. I don't live and die with my teams the way I did when I was younger anyway, but my interest in this team has been low for quite a while and not believing in what they are doing after finally getting rid of Dan would just keep on a very back burner for me. 

• Like 1

You have to feel really strong about your assessment that JD's breakout year wasn't simply a product of his environment. Deep ball accuracy is often called a WR stat for good reasons.

I just have a hard time imagining that Maye couldn't have put up similar stats in that LSU offenes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem with drafting JD at 2 is his playing weight ..there is no way his playing weight is 210,it's more like 200 or even less..with running being a big part of his game,he will not survive the hits that he is gonna take..So if they draft him and he gets constantly hurt then this regime needs to be put on the hot seat.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

By all means show me why that is the case.

The only evidence I've seen is a poll on here that leans heavily towards maye, certainly not a large enough sample size to be scientific but I'm open to being convinced the opposite is true, where is your evidence?

The only polls I've seen involve nfl front office personnel and coaches.

You correctly noted that the poll taken was one “on here” so that is something I would take with a grain of salt.  

Instead, I’m looking at articles and comments and Twitter feeds and Instagram posts.  For example, look at the comments to the recent WaPo article debating the relative merits of Daniels and Maye.  I know maybe that doesn’t count as hard evidence and you are correct that a lot of polls may be of coaches and football professionals so by definition not “fans” per se.  

But if one wants to assert that Maye is a more popular choice than Daniels among the fanbase at large (again, not Extremeskins), I would find that very very hard to believe.

38 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

You can trust the regime while still questioning them. They shouldn't be immune to criticism. 

I have never bought into the notion that you need to work for an NFL franchise to be able to judge football players. And frankly, the people who say (or strongly imply) it don't really either, because they would all gladly proclaim what an idiot a Matt Millen type is. 

Nor do I listen to anyone who tells me I have to accept what someone else does and implies I have no right to doubt them. I haven't signed up to be a cult yet. so no thanks. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Yep just as I feared, Quinn is pounding the table hard for Daniels and his power of will is overwhelming a rookie GM. 

My prediction: in three years when Daniels flames out, Peters will throw Quinn under the bus and fire his arse to save his own job and we start over again, while Maye is leading a Patriot renaissance.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Questioning yes, instantly giving up or instant full blow criticism on a pick is ridiculous. 

You let it pay out first, don’t you ?

Some of these ‘absolute’ QB prospect opinions are borderline staggering in what is clearly a very open race.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I have never bought into the notion that you need to work for an NFL franchise to be able to judge football players. And frankly, the people who say (or strongly imply) it don't really either, because they would all gladly proclaim what an idiot a Matt Millen type is. 

Nor do I listen to anyone who tells me I have to accept what someone else does and implies I have no right to doubt them. I haven't signed up to be a cult yet. so no thanks. 

The average fan now is not only smarter than ever, they have access to more information, so you're right.

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Questioning is OK.  But anyone who is out on them for making a call before it even plays out feels wild to me.

Also the point that some made a few days ago or so that 

A.  Taking Maye and him failing and Daniels succeeding -- is perfectly OK for Peters.  No criticism deserved for that if it happens

B.  Taking Daniels and if Maye is better than him that is a fireable offense.

So in short there is only one right answer and one wrong answer.  😎. It's a bridge too far for me.

Me too…

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep just as I feared, Quinn is pounding the table hard for Daniels and his power of will is overwhelming a rookie GM. 

Have I missed a something here, where’s this news come from?

12 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Have I missed a something here, where’s this news come from?

Its not hard to connect the dots.

Quinn has talked repeatedly about how QBs like Daniels keep him and other defensive coaches up at night. And Quinn just got lit up in the playoffs by an athletic mobile QB in Love(who actually kinda looks like Daniels, its probably honestly Daniels's absolute best case scenario). Then you hear him talk about post snap processing and hitting deep balls etc. and its just obvious Daniels is Quinn's pick.

And we know how convincing Quinn can be. He's a charismatic guy and its not hard to imagine him being able to convince a room to take the guy he wants. Especially consdiering Peters is a first time GM. If it doesn't work out he can say "well hey, he wasn't MY pick! I gave the coach who he wanted." 

Admittedly its a lot of speculation but I don't think its that far fetched of a theory when you think about it.