Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

16 minutes ago, illone said:

Chris Simms is a tool, but he finally landed on something I can (somewhat) agree with.

Penix has a live arm.

However, I can say that without slamming Maye, and without including the pro day stuff in the argument.

If you draft someone based on how they "throw" at the pro day, then you got 99 problems and onboarding a new draft strategy is one of them.

Penix is the type of guy that can play right away and break records. His deep fade is just a thing of beauty and he throws with anticipation that many Sunday throwers dont have. 

I wont list all of his issues since those are well known (injury, etc), but I think the main issue with him is that he is already at his ceiling or real close to it, so it's tough to project him as improving a ton.  However, that ceiling could get you 5000 yards and a good leader of men who has high character in the locker room.

Intriguing prospect, no doubt about that. If I compared him to the leagues starters right now I could list a bunch that he would probably beat in an open competition.

Jones, Smith, Carr, Tua, Dak lol, OConnell, Stidham, Watson...

He is my dark horse for ROY depending on where he lands. If Miami decides to hit reset and drafts this kid... Look out 👀

I share those same positives and negatives as you do when it comes to Penix. Though one other thing that would worry me a bit is how well he'd deal with being behind a mediocre OL where he gets pressured a fair amount. At Washington he was behind the best OL in the nation and didn't get pressured very often. Then when Michigan was able to get pretty consistent pressure against him in the championship game, he looked bad.

Now, I get that most QBs look worse when they're under duress in general. But to me it was a very stark contrast, so I'm concerned that his lack of having to deal with getting a lot of pressure when in college may make his life difficult in the NFL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

Was it just last week I prompted a chain of dismissive Chris Simms takes after my own? 

Could have used that one there to support me then. 😛

Simms is one of the very best in the business. As an analyst he's as smart and incisive as his father.

(Don't check my previous posts on the matter.)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I haven't been saying "Maye has no responsibility or issues with his footwork. It's all the fault of his OCs". I've been saying that having to use two different styles of drop back and footwork over his two starting years quite possibly had an effect on his footwork development and on it not being as consistent as we'd like. 

So I think it's likely a variety of factors, with being told to use two different types of drop back over two years being one of them. I don't think that's some crazy out of left field hypothesis.

This isn't me talking because I truly don't know a damn thing about the intricacies of qb technique.

But on one youtube video I was watching recently (out of the hundreds I've seen),they had two guys interviewing this one guy who's supposedly some well resoected qb guru.

They asked him about Maye and his footwork and how that causes him to miss his target occasionally-- all familiar stuff so far.

Then the guy answers by saying (for the record, this is all paraphrased from memory by no means close to the exact words)--

It's not his sloppy footwork that concerns me most. If he's dedicated and willing to put in the time AND most importantly if he goes to a team with coaches that stress the importance of footwork and by the way you'd be surprised how many coaches and OCs don't teach footwork a lot of ciaches sokely focus on decision making, reading the defense, hot routes, where to go with the ball, calling protections and stuff like that-- but if it does get a coach who soends time on footwork then he has a good chance to improve that. It will just take some time. How long I don't know. Everybody talks about Josh Allen, but Allen was a unicorn. I've never seen a qb improve like he did. But it's possible.

The thing about Maye that is totally puzzling to me and is not related to sloppy footwork alone.  It's that he randomly misses easy throws for seemingly no logical reason.

I've seen him have perfect footwork, a wide open player right in front of him, one of the easiest throws you'll ever see, and he just misses it and I don't  mean by a yard or so, I mean a terrible can't hit the broad side of the barn type of miss.

It's baffling and unexplainable but if you watch his film you'll see it happen randomly over and over again.

The only thing that comes to mind is a golf player who has the yips. That's mental, not physical, and that's what's scary about Maye to me. I don't know how you fix that. Maybe he's so good doing other stuff that you just live with it, but it bothers me as a coach because I like to go in knowing what I need to do to fix my players. And I got no answer for this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 3/31/2024 at 10:07 AM, Warhead36 said:

Yep and he's also Sam Howell and Mitch Trebisky and every other white southern ACC QB.

Except Phillip Rivers. Because that doesn't fit the narrative. Am I right?

Wow, you pulled the race card out.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

Simms is one of the very best in the business. As an analyst he's as smart and incisive as his father.

(Don't check my previous posts on the matter.)

He's a gomer. A true pyle. 😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

This isn't me talking because I truly don't know a damn thing about the intricacies of qb technique.

But on one youtube video I was watching recently (out of the hundreds I've seen),they had two guys interviewing this one guy who's supposedly some well resoected qb guru.

They asked him about Maye and his footwork and how that causes him to miss his target occasionally-- all familiar stuff so far.

Then the guy answers by saying (for the record, this is all paraphrased from memory by no means close to the exact words)--

It's not his sloppy footwork that concerns me most. If he's dedicated and willing to put in the time AND most importantly if he goes to a team with coaches that stress the importance of footwork and by the way you'd be surprised how many coaches and OCs don't teach footwork a lot of ciaches sokely focus on decision making, reading the defense, hot routes, where to go with the ball, calling protections and stuff like that-- but if it does get a coach who soends time on footwork then he has a good chance to improve that. It will just take some time. How long I don't know. Everybody talks about Josh Allen, but Allen was a unicorn. I've never seen a qb improve like he did. But it's possible.

The thing about Maye that is totally puzzling to me and is not related to sloppy footwork alone.  It's that he randomly misses easy throws for seemingly no logical reason.

Dude, the Thinking Football one I posted (and he is very good, uses all the right terminology, at least I think and breaks it down very well) said at the end that he likes Maye's elite traits "but for godssakes please keep him away from Kliff Kingsbury!"

RUH ROH!

Probably best to get a deal and get JJ. Unlike Maye, he's good under pressure and in high leverage (I love this ****ing jargon these guys spew now) situations.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Sports Illustrated articles on drafting a QB high in the draft:

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/washington-commanders-nfl-draft-quarterback-trend-drake-maye

The whole "troubling draft trend" thing is complete BS. If they were trading up to #2 for a QB. Maybe. But they arent. They are spending ONE PICK for a chance at a blue chip QB. There is nothing troubling about that at all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

Wow, you pulled the race card out.

Meh....

It's super common across the board for people to only comp players to those of the same skin color.  It's regularly made fun of.  I don't see making reference to this practice as "playing the race card."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

Dude, the Thinking Football one I posted (and he is very good, uses all the right terminology, at least I think and breaks it down very well) said at the end that he likes Maye's elite traits "but for godssakes please keep him away from Kliff Kingsbury!"

RUH ROH!

Probably best to get a deal and get JJ. Unlike Maye, he's good under pressure and in high leverage (I love this ****ing jargon these guys spew now) situations.

I liked that video but didn't quite understand why he said that, and hoped he would expand on it a little bit, but didn't. KK wasn't a very good HC but he's widely touted as really good at developing QBs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

RUH ROH!

That might be it!

I remember watching a video where the guy kind of slammed Kingsbury by saying that his offense needs to protect the edges or qbs are gonna get exotic blitzed into the hospital or something like that.

He also said sonething like, hopefully Kingsburry learned something and will adapt, but I wouldn't bet on it. lol

Not exactly a KK fan this guy. lol

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Funny. Everyone said we were taking Daniels after Mariota was signed. Driskel is a carbon copy of Maye as far as body type and play style goes. :)

Must mean we are trading up for Caleb. We don’t have anyone that comps to him

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dah-Dee said:

Well this obviously means we're trading down and drafting Bo Nix:

My retort: Chris Simms is a dumbass low-life, know-nothing, look-at-me, never-was-any-good-at-football, got-everything because of my name, talentless (in many ways), moronic ass hat.

• Haha 5

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

My retort: Chris Simms is a dumbass low-life, know-nothing, look-at-me, never-was-any-good-at-football, got-everything because of my name, talentless (in many ways), moronic ass hat.

I heard he smells like farts

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Please VOR, don't sugarcoat it. Tell us how you truly feel. Lol.

HTTR!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

They both look good in the B&G. Trade up to #3 and pick them both back to back. 

Not directed at you, clskinsfan. Watched their Pro Days and Maye outperformed Daniels, hands down.  If the viewer is being honest.  Daniels had big time problems with the deep ball.  Maye has his issues too but was more accurate, especially with the deep ball and most throws and threw more balls.  Why doing I say throwing more balls is important?  Because there is more chance for error that the media could have nailed him on and he didn't.  He nailed it!  

Others here have mentioned this, you see a QB that has had 3 more years of playing time vs. the other and if you were to add those three years onto Maye he might, I say might rank higher than Daniels and a bit higher at this time.

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

I have no problem seeing Penix being successful in the NFL. How successful I don't have a good take on, required too much speculation for the strengths I do see.

I don't seem him at the same level of promise as JD or DM but my call is nothing to make bank on. 😄

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

29 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I saw that one recently. JT O'Sullivan, QB School. It was a vid that covered all the QBs in the draft.

That specific line of thinking is asked and covered at around 21:20. Don't let the size of the vid scare you off, it has timestamps if you want to skip around and only hear his opinions about relevant QBs. Spends about 10 mins on Drake and another 10 on JD so its not a too long.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There are gobs of reason in this post. :)

• Haha 1