Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

29 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But I think 35 plays from this game is enough to get a good feel. 

Bama was one of the games I used to grade Daniels. I thought He was very good in that game. LSU didnt throw to the opposite hash once in that game. My comment on that was I dont know if the coaches limited it to protect his average arm or if it just happened that way. I agree Daniels can play. But his arm is a limiting factor. My main concern with him is his size. We will find out in a couple of weeks what that actually is. 

Go watch Maye against UVA. Maye gets called out "for losing that game" But it was one of the best QB performances I have graded this cycle. Maye was electric and completely dominant in that game. Yet hus receivers dropped at least 8 perfect throws. Grading college QB's off wins and loses is dumb. And these 2 games are perfect proof of it. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Idk what a pro style offense even is anymore. Other than the 9ers everyones in shotgun the vast majority of the time.

The simplified answer is in college, the QB isnt allowed to change the play at the LOS.

Have you ever watched a college game and you will see the QB get up and look to the sidelines...? That typically means he has to run what the coach or OC calls, and he has ZERO flexibility with calls or checks.

In Pro, well, i think you can fill in the blanks from there...

5 minutes ago, illone said:

I believe his ceiling as a human and leader is higher than the other players

I find this to be a rather odd thing to say. Everything I've read about Maye and Daniels indicates that they're both very high character hard working guys and good leaders who are loved by their teammates. What exactly is your criteria here and how do you come to this conclusion? 

• Like 3

Just now, mistertim said:

I find this to be a rather odd thing to say. Everything I've read about Maye and Daniels indicates that they're both very high character hard working guys and good leaders who are loved by their teammates. What exactly is your criteria here and how do you come to this conclusion? 

Its just a personal belief based on watching all of them play for the past few years. Again, not trying to convince anyone of anything. When you watch the games live there is an element of body language, leadership, and a certain nuance that you cant get from watching youtube highlights. Its not dramatic by any means, just a certain competitive edge that I get from JJ.

Just now, illone said:

Its just a personal belief based on watching all of them play for the past few years. Again, not trying to convince anyone of anything. When you watch the games live there is an element of body language, leadership, and a certain nuance that you cant get from watching youtube highlights. Its not dramatic by any means, just a certain competitive edge that I get from JJ.

And is it possible that your belief and what you're "reading" from him on the field is a result of confirmation bias vs anything objectively real?

9 minutes ago, method man said:

Something I think about with Daniels is, if he is able to get more lower body mass on his frame, will that help his arm strength as well?

I don’t think so. I mean, at his age I wouldn’t expect his arm to improve all that much and I don’t think his frame will let him put on much weight, if any. And I think his arm is good.

The bigger concern is that I can’t think of a single QB who has weighed 205 or less that has stayed healthy and had a solid career.

Whatever he weighs at, unless he runs also, subtract 10 pounds and that’s his playing weight. He’s been bulking up as much as he can the last few weeks. 

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Go watch Maye against UVA. Maye gets called out "for losing that game" But it was one of the best QB performances I have graded this cycle. Maye was electric and completely dominant in that game. Yet hus receivers dropped at least 8 perfect throws. Grading college QB's off wins and loses is dumb. And these 2 games are perfect proof of it. 

Thought Maye was pretty terrible for most of the first half of that game, especially taking into account the quality of the opponent. 

But I completely agree that over the last 35 minutes or so, he was doing everything in his power to drag UNC kicking and screaming to a win. It was like a tug of war game, with Maye on one side and most of the rest of the team on the other. 

And yet McCarthy gets credited for “leading” UM to victories and Maye gets crushed for “losing” that game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

And is it possible that your belief and what you're "reading" from him on the field is a result of confirmation bias vs anything objectively real?

No. I hate Michigan. If anything its the opposite. I commented on this previously.  If you look back in this very thread you can find the receipts.

3 minutes ago, illone said:

No. I hate Michigan. If anything its the opposite. I commented on this previously.  If you look back in this very thread you can find the receipts.

I'm talking about the team Michigan, I know you hate them. I'm talking about you liking McCarthy as a QB in general. 

Just now, mistertim said:

I'm talking about the team Michigan, I know you hate them. I'm talking about you liking McCarthy as a QB in general. 

The two are directly related.  I wanted to hate McCarthy so bad, but he kept burning me in the 4th quarter of games. It finally dawned on me that this kid might actually be good.

22 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Would love to hear what Brooks response was and hear the entire interview.  

10 minutes ago, illone said:

The two are directly related.  I wanted to hate McCarthy so bad, but he kept burning me in the 4th quarter of games. It finally dawned on me that this kid might actually be good.

The of one things that stands out about McCarthy to me is he's a born leader.  He might not be as talented as some of the other QBs but he had a leadership quality about him.  That's just me, though.  

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

The of one things that stands out about McCarthy to me is he's a born leader.  He might not be as talented as some of the other QBs but he had a leadership quality about him.  That's just me, though.  

There are others, not just you. 🤓

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

The bigger concern is that I can’t think of a single QB who has weighed 205 or less that has stayed healthy and had a solid career.

Just to put into perspective how frail Daniels is, Bryce Young weighs more than him and Daniels is 7-8 inches taller than Young. He isnt a little bit skinny. He is A LOT skinny.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Just to put into perspective how frail Daniels is, Bryce Young weighs more than him and Daniels is 7-8 inches taller than Young. He isnt a little bit skinny. He is A LOT skinny.

All the more reason to take him and sit him for an entire year. Put him on a nutrition/weight training plan and deactivate him for 10 weeks. Roll with Sam and see what he can do with Kingsbury. Daniels can focus on building up his body, arm and leg strength without taking a single hit. I'd even entertain dealing Sam and signing Brissett back if we planned on sitting Daniels for a year. 

Just now, kingdaddy said:

All the more reason to take him and sit him for an entire year. Put him on a nutrition/weight training plan and deactivate him for 10 weeks. Roll with Sam and see what he can do with Kingsbury. Daniels can focus on building up his body, arm and leg strength without taking a single hit. I'd even entertain dealing Sam and signing Brissett back if we planned on sitting Daniels for a year. 

Please stop with this stuff. This. Doesn't. Happen.

Every year there's some skinny player that everyone just says "Oh in the NFL he can put on another 15-20lbs and be fine." It doesn't work that way unless you want the guy to drink melted ice cream until he puts on 20lbs of pure fat.

If you draft Daniels it has to be with the underlying assumption that he's not going to magically pack on 20lbs of muscle and he'll most likely be hovering around 200lbs or so. Then you take that into account when evaluating.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

LSU has a pretty good weight program…

It’s not a lack of will, I just think he’s built like a CB and is a hard gainer. He’s just not going to carry a lot of weight on a narrow frame.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

14 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Why would I go through all of that when I can draft a QB with ideal size, a cannon arm and is still very athletic?

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Why would I go through all of that when I can draft a QB with ideal size, a cannon arm and is still very athletic?

I agree with you, we should take Joe Milton on a late round flyer. 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Please stop with this stuff. This. Doesn't. Happen.

Every year there's some skinny player that everyone just says "Oh in the NFL he can put on another 15-20lbs and be fine." It doesn't work that way unless you want the guy to drink melted ice cream until he puts on 20lbs of pure fat.

If you draft Daniels it has to be with the underlying assumption that he's not going to magically pack on 20lbs of muscle and he'll most likely be hovering around 200lbs or so. Then you take that into account when evaluating.

Yup, and he's really only got 1 more chance to prove he can add to the frame in the right way before draft day.  If he's under 210 at his pro day, we have a major problem.