Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

23 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

That’s pretty much the same I saw. I liked that the announcers were raving about McCarthys footwork. He has the arm talent to make every throw with plenty of zip.

Based on what I’ve seen he cannot drive the ball to the sideline. Though I haven’t seen today.  But in the 2 games I have seen, his throws to the outside are VERY average to below average NFL arm talent.  

Hes going to have to be on time 100% of the time or he’s going to be intercepted or receivers are going to get crushed.

It’s impossible to know, and some team might fall in love with him, but he could be the “caller” in the draft if I’m right and basically all the good press is a PR snow job.  

The tape doesn’t lie.  And it’s bad.

Just now, Whiskeypeet said:

I'm a Washington alum and watched all of their games, including the let down games you've mentioned. There really is no way to sugar coat that stretch of games where they struggled other than recognizing the PAC 12 was really good top to bottom this year.  The entire team was flat during that stretch and Penix wasn't able to overcome it.  I don't supposed we are going to criticize Rome Odunze or Bralen Trice for the let down, but Penix is going to get the heat because QB.  I get it, its a real criticism but one that is overblown.  He produced over and over against top competition and faced more top 20 teams than any of the other prospects, and went undefeated until the national championship game. 

I like Penix a lot, and before that stretch of games, I was hoping he’d be our guy, though that was before Sam turned into the second coming of Patrick Ramsey, and we somehow ended up with the second pick. I figured it would be around the 12 pick or so, and early on Penix stock was rising big time.

Personally, not my top choice, but I could get behind trading back and grabbing Penix, heck I could get behind trading back multiple times and grabbing Penix in the late 1st this year as long as he doesn’t rise up the board to much. We could potentially trade back 2 times to get him and stack our team with 4 extra 1st round picks in the next 2 drafts, at least 3 extra 1sts and a second+

This team is going to go through a major roster makeover, with all those picks we could get younger and more talented in almost every position of need, real quick.

Again I’m not saying this is something I would personally say is optimal, but it is something I could get behind and root for if our FO and coaching staff wanted to go this route. Especially if they have a high grade on Penix

25 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Well, I think before the transfer to Washington, nobody really knew whether Penix was really good or not - he never played in more than 7 games in any of his four years at Indiana, because of all the injuries, and especially the last 2 years there, he was playing pretty much hurt all the time, so his numbers weren't good at all.

Following up on this, its not hard to find evidence of the talent while he was at Indiana. When you suggest his numbers weren't good, its true in terms of compilation due to the limited number of games he played but when he was on the field he produced.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2916928-michael-penix-jr-shines-with-3-tds-as-indiana-sends-michigan-tumbling-to-1-2

We’re not trading back for anybody.  

All the tier 2 guys are way behind the tier one guys.  

I wouldn’t be that surprised if only 3 QBs go in the first.  The reason a 4th would go is there is a team who has no chair when the music stops who feels compelled to pick a guy and get the 5th year option. 

People said in 2022 QBs were going to be over-drafted because teams need QBs.  Some had Malik Willis and Pickett in the top 10-15.

Pickett was the only QB  drafted in the first round and Willis lasted into the third.  

I could see the same thing happening, except with 3 QBs going 1-2-3. Then nothing until the second round.  

These second tier guys all have question marks.  And McCarthy just isn’t that good.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Based on what I’ve seen he cannot drive the ball to the sideline. Though I haven’t seen today.  But in the 2 games I have seen, his throws to the outside are VERY average to below average NFL arm talent.  

Hes going to have to be on time 100% of the time or he’s going to be intercepted or receivers are going to get crushed.

It’s impossible to know, and some team might fall in love with him, but he could be the “caller” in the draft if I’m right and basically all the good press is a PR snow job.  

I think he has a better arm than Daniels for whatever thats worth. He was innacurate today. But at least he participated. The same cant be said for all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

His velocity was only 1mph behind Milton who hit 62mph, so any argument that he doesn’t have the ability to drive the ball into tight windows, or down the field or to the outside was squashed by that measurement alone. 

You can question if he will be able to do it consistently, and accurately, but that is the same question with every QB that has ever come out in the history of the NFL other than maybe 4 or 5.

11 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Personally, not my top choice, but I could get behind trading back and grabbing Penix, heck I could get behind trading back multiple times and grabbing Penix in the late 1st this year as long as he doesn’t rise up the board to much. We could potentially trade back 2 times to get him and stack our team with 4 extra 1st round picks in the next 2 drafts, at least 3 extra 1sts and a second+

I don't think a trade down is optimal and I certainly would not take Penix at 2 but I would not hate this plan.

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I think he has a better arm than Daniels for whatever thats worth. He was innacurate today. But at least he participated. The same cant be said for all.

I haven’t watched Daniel’s.  So I can’t comment on that.  

If that’s the case then huge warning signs on Daniels.

Participate or not in the combine doesn’t bother me.  

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

We’re not trading back for anybody.  

All the tier 2 guys are way behind the tier one guys.  

I wouldn’t be that surprised if only 3 QBs go in the first.  The reason a 4th would go is there is a team who has no chair when the music stops who feels compelled to pick a guy and get the 5th year option. 

People said in 2022 QBs were going to be over-drafted because teams need QBs.  Some had Malik Willis and Pickett in the top 10-15.

Pickett was the only QB  drafted in the first round and Willis lasted into the third.  

I could see the same thing happening, except with 3 QBs going 1-2-3. Then nothing until the second round.  

These second tier guys all have question marks.  And McCarthy just isn’t that good.  

There will definitely be 4 taken in the 1st round, more than likely in the top 10 with a very high potential for 2 more to be drafted in round 1, Maybe Nix and Penix both go in round 2, but with the talent they have, and the cheat code that is a rookie qb contract, I’d be more shocked if they both fell to round 2 then both of them going round 1. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-combine-results-measurements-qb-winners-losers-as-jayden-daniels-skips-j-j-mccarthy-adds-weight/

Caleb measured well at over 6’1 and with long arms (32), 9 3/4 inch hands at 214.

Maye at 6’4 and 3/8, 223, 9 1/8 hands (small but not as small as Burrow or Pickett) 32 1/4 arms.

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 1

Just now, mac8887 said:

There will definitely be 4 taken in the 1st round, more than likely in the top 10 with a very high potential for 2 more to be drafted in round 1, Maybe Nix and Penix both go in round 2, but with the talent they have, and the cheat code that is a rookie qb contract, I’d be more shocked if they both fell to round 2 then both of them going round 1. 

There’s no way of knowing.  But if I had to guess I think it’s only 3, all the draftnik idiots will be wrong, and the 4th won’t be McCarthy. 

I could be very wrong.  But as of this moment in time, I think all the draft fools are overestimating the talent and overprotecting the need for QB.  Just like on 2023. When that idiot Thor Nystrom was trumpeting around Malik Willis as a top 5 pick and said the league screwed up by letting him get to the 3rd.

Guess what?  The NFL was right.  

You have to have talent.  I don’t think any of the second tier guys have starting talent right away.  Therefor they could easily drop.  

16 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

His velocity was only 1mph behind Milton who hit 62mph, so any argument that he doesn’t have the ability to drive the ball into tight windows, or down the field or to the outside was squashed by that measurement alone. 

You can question if he will be able to do it consistently, and accurately, but that is the same question with every QB that has ever come out in the history of the NFL other than maybe 4 or 5.

If that’s the case why could he not actually do it in games? Was this today, and on what type of throw and how deep was it?  I haven’t seen the group 2 yet.  

Shrug.  I think he’s a terrible prospect and wouldn’t draft him to be anything but a backup.

I might be wrong.  But that’s my opinion. 

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If that’s the case why could he not actually do it in games? Was this today, and on what type of throw and how deep was it?  I haven’t seen the group 2 yet.  

Shrug.  I think he’s a terrible prospect and wouldn’t draft him to be anything but a backup.

I might be wrong.  But that’s my opinion. 

The measurements were taken today, you can watch all his throws today, someone posted them earlier, might have been removed by know though, the NFL is quick to copyright strike everything.

You’ve admitted to watching 2 games of his, and you have already determined everything he can’t do.

You are coming from a place of extreme certainty without much sample size, 1 or 2 games you’ve watched, some would call that unreasonable, lol.

Though you could be right, he might suck in the pros, most of the guys that make the jump from college to the pros due, and that’s not just QBs.

Thats the main reason I’d be willing to make any deal needed to get Caleb, his chances of sucking is way less than the rest and his boom potential is through the roof.

Edited by mac8887

The issue with the trade down is we need a QB and there is no guarantee we get the guy we want if we make the trade. If it was a guarantee, I'd be 100% behind a trade down where we get Penix.  If he fails, we will  have a top pick next year and/or would have tons of ammo to further build the roster or trade up as necessary in the future for a QB.  Its actually a risk mitigating strategy if you aren't sold on Maye/Daniels.  I'd expect a qualified front office to do something like this if they aren't sold on the current year prospects.  That said, I'd draft Maye.

Figured Caleb had good size mitts given his comfort level to default to Shady McCoy style when running.

9 3/4 aint nothing to sneeze at.

Maye just barely avoids the warning sirens w/ 9 1/4.

I guessed JD had big hands but we wont know until his Pro Day which sucks.

Just now, FootballZombie said:

Figured Caleb had good size mitts given his comfort level to default to Shady McCoy style when running.

9 3/4 aint nothing to sneeze at.

Maye just barely avoids the warning sirens w/ 9 1/4.

I guessed JD had big hands but we wont know until his Pro Day which sucks.

Nobody has Penix's 10.5 inches.  Its a large Penix.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

The measurements were taken today, you can watch all his throws today, someone posted them earlier, might have been removed by know though, the NFL is quick to copyright strike everything.

You’ve admitted to watching 2 games of his, and you have already determined everything he can’t do.

You are coming from a place of extreme certainty without much sample size, 1 or 2 games you’ve watched, some would call that unreasonable, lol.

Though you could be right, he might suck in the pros, most of the guys that make the jump from college to the pros due, and that’s not just QBs.

Thats the main reason I’d be willing to make any deal needed to get Caleb, his chances of sucking is way less than the rest and his boom potential is through the roof.

It was only one game, but VoR went through and literally broke down every single pass, what he saw, and why he thought it was good or bad.

Why don't you do the same with the same YouTube video and then you can compare notes?

So don't "lol" at someone who clearly seems to have put way more work into watching one game than you seem to have for many of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It was only one game, but VoR went through and literally broke down every single pass, what he saw, and why he thought it was good or bad.

Why don't you do the same with the same YouTube video and then you can compare notes?

So don't "lol" at someone who clearly seems to have put way more work into watching one game than you seem to have for many of them.

Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Dude, I lol’d because of the unreasonable joke I made, I thought it was funny because of his name he uses on the board. It wasn’t meant in a disrespectful manner in any way. I appreciated his review he did and made that known last night. 

Please stop trying to make me out as a villain while at the same time misrepresenting what I say, while also taking it out of context.