Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

The combine is trending towards a ratings flop if QBs don’t participate.

I could see Rodger making adjustments to participation in the future. This is harming the almighty shield. 

Beat me to it 74. 

Edited by rumplestilskin
  • Like 1

Just bizarre that only 1 QB at combine actually ran 40.  Feels like combine is either on way out or will get a serious rework on format/etc.

Minnesota HC in booth with NFL Network guys, sounds like he really wants Cousins to stay.

Penix measured 10.5 hands, top-10 all time at combine lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Just bizarre that only 1 QB at combine actually ran 40.  Feels like combine is either on way out or will get a serious rework on format/etc.

Minnesota HC in booth with NFL Network guys, sounds like he really wants Cousins to stay.

I think Kirk would be crazy to leave Jefferson. But we all know how important money is to him. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

This might well see a change in the combine structure moving forward, starting next year.

They are going to have the QB's playing their own characters on Madden on combine day at this point. It is getting ridiculous. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I honestly think Michael Penix is going to get the best bump from the combine. He measured well, his medicals are clean and he has a rocket arm so I expect a ton of buzz

Thats a rather large Penix right there. I guess the hand size thing is in fact a thing. LOL

Edited by rumplestilskin
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I don’t mind the guys sitting out the combine. The league made all these measurements mean more than the tape, so they can deal with the ratings fallout. 

The problem is that not all talent has the tape. The elite are the elite but the combine is a good way for hidden gems to become unearthed. FWIW

It begs the question who are the bosses anymore? I dunno.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I don’t mind the guys sitting out the combine. The league made all these measurements mean more than the tape, so they can deal with the ratings fallout. 

What ratings fallout? They have two broadcasts now. It grows every year. The people who watch the combine are not suddenly going to stop watching because 6 guys refused to run or get measured. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

Maybe somewhere in the middle of round 1.

I was very high on Penix at one point, and then he kind of faltered down the stretch a little bit, and I kind of lowered him on my list because he doesn’t have the mobility the others have. He can make every throw. His deep ball is a thing of beauty. I really want to go back and watch his film, I really haven’t watched any of him since the college season ended, but the duels he had with Bo Nix, where really fun to watch.

• Like 1

FWIW, that was apparently just the "first group" of QBs/WRs running 40, so maybe possible other QBs run in 2nd group? Not sure. Still weird that so many apparently opted out of running.

They need to stop letting prospects treat the combine like a buffet.

It should be: you're either in or you're out. If you're in then you get to come and meet with all the teams, scouts, FO, media etc. but you also have to do measurements and basic drills like running and throwing (if you're a QB). If you're out then you don't have to come and do any of that stuff but you also don't get to network and meet with teams or media.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Mayes hands are a bit smaller than Id like but its not that big of a deal. Theyre bigger than Mahomes and Burrow to name a couple 

I only care that his hands are bigger than Kenny Picket’s.

Edited by CobraCommander

15 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

What ratings fallout? They have two broadcasts now. It grows every year. The people who watch the combine are not suddenly going to stop watching because 6 guys refused to run or get measured. 

I pretty much agree with this, it’s not like the league is getting a huge rights contract from ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX or even ESPN to carry on there stations. The only way I could see these players participating more in the future is if they get paid to, but that won’t happen.

I don’t really see them making any meaningful change to the combine any time soon.

It would be fun if they made it like the pro bowl, made it competitive. Instead of doing 1 40 at a time, just have a race. Do qb skills competitions, agility competitions for the receivers and backs. Maybe do some strong man competitions for the big men. people would actually tune in to watch that, and it would bring in more revenue.

all of the workouts and true measurements can be done at the pro days. It’s already leaning heavily in that direction anyway. Basically the players are going to be doing the same exact things that they are doing now at the combine but have even more control and more time to prepare. One way to fix it is for players from smaller schools is to be allowed to participate in the bigger schools pro days that way they still get there time to shine.

Maybe make it like a regional combine all done on different days so that whatever team want to attend can, and then still have in person workouts as well.

Edited by mac8887

QB drills starting!  First group Milton, JJ, Nix, Leary.  Leary not looking great. Milton big and looks smooth, quick release. Booth guys joking about receivers wearing double gloves for his lasers. JJ and Bo look fine. 

Edited by Dah-Dee