Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

7 hours ago, BraveWarrior said:

Doesn't sound like a good sales pitch if you're Wilson. "Hey, Russ, we're gonna give you peanuts to come here and be the proverbial first man out of the bunker to absorb the first hail of bullets every week until our line can pick up a stunt and our stud QB is ready to push you out the door." I can't imagine Wilson's response being "where do I sign?"  

These guys, especially Russ, are true competitors, if they tell him that he gets the starting job for a year, in his mind, he will take that and run with it, thinking that he will play so well that he won’t lose it.

On top of that, I’m not 100% but didn’t Russ grow up pretty close to here? If so that could be a selling point, he’s been out west for his entire career.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Conn said:

Do you realize how amazing it would be if we literally had a coin flip chance at a top-10 quality franchise QB? You’d be a ****ing idiot not to flip that coin if that was actually the case. And you’re posing that as a downside? You’re just saying stuff.

Not really, Caleb is a coin flip from being a consistent 10 qb, the rest are coin flips to completely bust and flame out of the league. Maye has a greater boom potential than everyone other than Caleb, but his bust potential is just as high as the others, that’s why in no way does he belong in the same category as Caleb, and 95% of the non biased opinions would agree. And on top of that, aren’t you supposed to say stuff on a message board? There wouldn’t be much to read if people didn’t have things to say.

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, mac8887 said:

Why not pick up Russ for a couple of seasons and let him take a beating for 2 years until we get the line ready for Maye to come in. It’ll be hard for him to overcome his inconsistency and inaccuracy issues getting swarmed everygame. Especially now that we’ve got rid of one of our better lineman. 

By then we could have the line rebuilt and strong, and Maye will have worked through his issues.

Sam got broken by a bad line even after to sit a year, Id be horrified to see what he would’ve looked like taking that many hits as a rookie.

Harris, Quinn, and Peter’s said they wanted to build for the long haul, I don’t see a good enough reason to rush a really talented rookie out there to get his spirit, will, and body broke by taking so many hits.

We really need to make this o line better either by draft or free agency or coaching or a combination of all 3 before I’d risk our shiny new toy.

That’s why I’m so confused why people don’t want Russ, vet minimum contract, he either comes in and plays well, making us a wildcard contender for the next year or 2, or at the very least saves our young guys bodies by eating hits for a year getting paid scraps compared to others, because of Denver footing the bill while we rebuild the line. It’s a win/win.

No, I’m tired of going after washed up vets who had their heyday years ago on another team. That was the snyder way of doing things. Besides, the o-line can be improved quite a bit between now and september with our cap space and other picks. It’s not gonna take two years of having to watch russell wilson. They finally have an exciting young blue chip QB to draft #2OA for the first time in over a decade, he should be starting

• Like 2

You sit your high draft pick QB if you have an established high quality starter in front of him. We wont have that. Howell is not a “vet mentor” at this stage of his career, he arguably needs more mentorship than anyone wed draft.

53 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I just want the draft to get here. 

This one pick can set us on a path to be where the Packers or Saints are on this list 20 years from now. 

Lol the Steelers… That’s crazy!🤯

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I am already sick of listening to Caleb speak. I'm shocked he doesn't refer to himself in 3rd person.

I watched their interviews this morning, everything I can find.  The only one who actually referred himself in third person was McCarthy.  A bit cringe worthy.  😎. But otherwise, he's a good interview.  I'd say he's the most articulate of the group I watched.  Serious and Zen.

Nix sounds a lot like me as i mentioned the other day like Kirk.  Impressive interview.  The most detailed about QB play of the bunch.  Not charismatic IMO but serious and articulate again very Kirkish.  I went back and watch two games of his again this morning.  I'll stick with my Alex Smith comparison for him.  Very efficient, master at first level throws and maneuvers well in the pocket. 

But he doesn't really have that many wow throws.  But i think he can play in the league.  If I had to pick a Brock Purdy in this group, it would be him.  But i am not that interested in finding that out about him, I'd rather shoot for higher end talent.  But IMO he's worthy of the top 15 versus going in the 2nd round like many say he will fall to.

Drake Maye comes off to me very country.  Competitive dude. Comes off a bit looser and jokes easier than the others in the group.  I rewatched two games of his and my opinion remains the same -- very positive.  Forget Nabers, if he had a receiver like Brian Thomas he'd have a different season last year.  His receivers sucked. It's not just drops but they also didn't seperate.  So many wow throws.  If I could merge Nix's ability on the first level with Maye on the 2nd-3rd level, we'd have Tom Brady.  :ols:. I actually love that Drake didn't have much to work with and a bad O line, I prefer everything being equal for Qbs who faced adversity.   Nix and Maye are training some together, I heard Nix talk about it.

Jayden Daniels.  Some might think I am not a fan because I post so much here about Maye.  But it didn't start that way, I started with Daniels.  I like him a lot.  But he doesn't need more help here as for posting if there is a whisper of anything positive about him or negative about Maye it will get posted here.  So i don't really bother with it anymore.  I rewatched 2 of his games.  My opinion remains the same, electric runner, good deep ball, decent on the first level.  Not much on the 2nd.  Not much throws with anticipation. He had everything work in his favor, great receivers, decent running game, good protection.  But I'd love to him have him.   As far as him as an interview, he's certainly not charismatic like an RG3.  Comes off like a nice guy, a bit shy like his reputation.   A little like Howell in that way.

I was watching Riddick talk about him. lol, on an aside Riddick and Orlovosky being this dudes biggest fans hopefully isn't a jinx, it brings me back to the Haskins (RIP) draft.   Riddick mentioned Daniels coming out of his shell this past year.  It seemed like he was referring to his personality.  And he also said that Daniels was dealing with a personal situation and if I understand him right that its in the process of being resolved.  It was a weird vague tangent which he didn't explain what's what.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I'm not sure what this means...everyone is reporting things that directly contradict another person's report lol!

Allbright should know better...

But this is more proof that the media is full of themselves this time of year. (ok, not just this time of year)

Here is a dose of reality:

1. Initial Mock Drafts:  These come from college football people, the furthest you can get from an actual NFL opinion unless you ask your drunk uncle who watches Golf.

2. Mock Drafts in January through April:  The perception of NFL opinions as told by media + misinformation from agents, execs, etc

3. April 24th, Draft Day: Actual NFL Opinions

There is a reason that 1+2 never equals 3.

Sometimes people guess right, usually they don't.

The NFL Draft is wonderful, innit?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guessing today Penix is the one who shines considering the draft media seems to gush mostly on the deep balll in these exercises, I think he will likely flash the most on that count but will see.  Rattler I bet looks good, too.  Actually all 4 of them:  Nix, McCartney, Rattler, Penix

If I had to rank those 4

1. McCarthy (a half a gap above)

2.  Nix (a gap above)

3. Penix ( a half of gap above)

4.  Rattler

8 hours ago, BraveWarrior said:

Did you know that none of Caleb Williams' teammates went to his birthday party?

I think we should put together a massive package of picks to move up to one, take a linebacker Then couple our 2's this year with a 2 next year to move back into the top ten for Williams after he falls only to trade that pick back to Chicago for all our other picks back plus their 9 and take a left tackle.

That'll work right? 

Sounds pretty reasonable. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, mistertim said:

And yet Alabama has still been ranked 1st or close to 1st in previous seasons, regardless. This past season they simply weren't as good as they have been in past years. Good, but not the dominating force they've been in the past.

VoR didn't "pick" that game. Someone else here posted it as proof of how great McCarthy is and some of us found it lacking. I watched it a few times and found it pretty ho-hum and then VoR did a full breakdown and pointed out why it was ho-hum. I noticed a bunch of screens, holding the ball, some errant throws, and a quite a few tosses to wide open receivers. There were a couple nice plays in there but overall it wasn't exactly eye opening.

And VoR was grading it by NFL standards because this guy is going into the NFL. So "that would get your receiver murdered in the NFL" means that's a play he'd never be able to make in the pro game (unless he wanted his WRs coming after him with baseball bats after games).

They beat Georgia which they had not in a few years, kept them from winning another title. So they were just as good. They are like Duke and Coach K of the past  and they get the blue chippers every year top to bottom like OHST. Mich. has  no top 10 offense player maybe QB, 3rd rd. RB, 3Rd. rd WR OL 3rd? TE 6th? Everybody overrates Mich talent compared to the rest.  I would argue Bama,LSU,OHST Georgia maybe WASH. Have better talent. Mich has a lot of very good players and a coach who knows how to win. N.C. has better talent then what everybody is saying too, 2 top LB's, top QB, WR ranked higher and TE ranked higher....USC has talent too maybe a cut below over all.   

Edited by skinsfan66

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This one pick can set us on a path to be where the Packers or Saints are on this list 20 years from now. 

Baltimore at 2000.  Ugh.

17 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I get the point you're trying to make but that graphic is some what deceptive. 2006 was the start of the Payton/Brees era. Reggie Bush was the draft pick. That era ended when Sean retired. Dennis Allen and Derek Carr are the epitome of a mid-tier team struggling to make the playoffs. 

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Also among what i watched this morning is Graziano saying he's hearing Washington is staying at #2 or trading up.  So if this team's goal is to keep the league guessing they've done a nice job of it.

Watched Hasselbeck on a Chicago radio show this morning. It aired yesterday. And the smoke about Maye to Chicago seems kind of legit to me. That would be an absolute ideal situation for us. Stand pat and get Caleb at two is a dream scenario. 

• Like 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Watched Hasselbeck on a Chicago radio show this morning. It aired yesterday. And the smoke about Maye to Chicago seems kind of legit to me. That would be an absolute ideal situation for us. Stand pat and get Caleb at two is a dream scenario. 

Even for as much as I've questioned his maturity/ego, if he's there at #2 I sprint to the podium and make the fastest pick in draft history.

The talent level is just so absurdly high. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Even for as much as I've questioned his maturity/ego, if he's there at #2 I sprint to the podium and make the fastest pick in draft history.

The talent level is just so absurdly high. 

Agree. At this point I am not even entertaining trading up. I like all of the top 3 guys enough to just stand pat and take the one you like the most at 2. All of these guys have some issues. Enough issues that I am not wasting draft resources to move up for one of them. I would happy with any of the three of them. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I just don't see how they sell that. Granted, all picks are a gamble but at least if Caleb fails no one would question the choice. If you take Maye and he's a bust, it would be 10X worse than when they drafted Mitch. 

• Like 1

If Arizona allows a trade up for McCarthy, what a fall it will have been for MHJr.  Guy was written in at 4 in permanent ink and I wonder if his complete absence from the combine rubbed some teams very badly.