Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

43 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I think Brian Kelly focused so much on the offense that he neglected the defense a bit. They were atrocious though. They fired the defensive coordinator and the entire defensive staff (and I was wrong, it was ranked 105, not 103 😩)

You're right, Kelly comes from an offensive background, and it's only his second year. The SEC's schedule is brutal, even for its elite teams. Overall, it still comes down to the evaluator preference, Maye or Daniels. I think you guys have convinced me they'll probably go with Maye because he may be viewed as the safer choice. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I think Brian Kelly focused so much on the offense that he neglected the defense a bit. They were atrocious though. They fired the defensive coordinator and the entire defensive staff (and I was wrong, it was ranked 105, not 103 😩)

Yep it was maddening last season watching that defense. LSU wins the title with a top 60 defense. Just an atrocious job of coaching but Kelly and the coaches had also neglected the secondary and arguably our best DB unfortunately was diagnosed with brain cancer in the middle of the season.

Kelly did a phenomenal job in assembling an all-star collection of defensive coaches going forward though. Expecting us to sneak in as an 11 or 12 seed this year and contend for it all in 2025 and have a stud Bryce Underwood coming in to take over for Nuss. And I’m really interested to see what Joe Sloan does finally as an OC. Really excited to see what Nussmeier does for us this season. He reminds me a ton of a slightly bigger Baker Mayfield. Gunslinger mentality. He came in and lit up the Georgia National Championship team in the SEC championship and made it rain vs Wisconsin in the bowl game. 

Edited by BayouBrave86

14 minutes ago, zCommander said:

This is an interesting tweet...is this correct?

He's going number one, and this is lying and exaggeration season. As I said, I'm not claiming he'll be the next Mahomes, but the guys in that Peyton/Andrew category(ranking wise) always go first if my memory serves me correctly. Also, most QBs struggle when they face better teams. The the only person Bears are moving off for Fields for is Caleb or owner may fire everyone.  

Edited by NOLA2DC
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

LSU, is always up there top 5/10 mostly in HS recruiting with Bama,OHST, Texas, Georgia Lately, Then LSU, Mich, Penn ST. Florida, FL. ST. Clemson...and a few others every year.  They have talent and it's hard to figure out why they are as bad as you say?  

Just a terrible scheme last year and lack of talent at DB. Coach O left the cupboard pretty bare as well on his way out. Louisiana is always going to be a hot bed for talent and now that Saban is gone, Kelly should be able to put up an even bigger fence around Louisiana. No reason for them not to be top 5 in recruiting year after year. And any coach can win a title there, proof is those buffoons Miles and Coach O winning :lol: do love Coach O though for bringing us 2019. Couldn’t stand Miles though and he’s not a good human being. 

I expect Kelly to win 1 or 2 titles before he retires. People overlook the fact that LSU has the second most titles behind Bama since 2000 with 3. Currently have the number 1 QB, number 1 WR, and number 1 RB committed to LSU for 2025. 

Crews and Daniels leading the way for DC for the next 10-12 years? One can only dream. :lol:

Edited by BayouBrave86
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

I really think Jayden is going to wow at the combine and I remember someone saying RG3 was faster. I don’t think that’s true. I expect Jayden to run a sub 4.4 at the combine

I doubt it.  RGIII was faster - no doubt in my mind.  

Daniels reportedly ran a 4.5 at ASU... there's just no way he runs a sub 4.4 at the Combine, where times are generally slower than the reported school times.

Jayden is fast enough for it to not make much of a difference though.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, zCommander said:

This is an interesting tweet...is this correct?

Williams is my #1 but my knock on both him and Maye is how they played against tough competition. It reminded me a lot of why I am meh on Lawrence and have questions about Herbert.That kind of clutch gene seems to be missing or that extra gear when the competition gets really tough - like Kirk Cousins throughout his career or Tony Romo. Good QBs but when the pressure was on they folded. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

How can you be so sure? The Bears could easily go Maye instead. 

They won't.  Caleb Williams has been the #1 pick in this class for years, and the emergence of Maye and Daniels didn't change that.  Williams is just better than the other guys. He's the best QB prospect in twelve years.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

We aren't getting Williams so any Williams analysis just needs to be shelved.

The only possible way we get Williams is if he forces the Bears to trade him to us by pulling an Eli.  I'm not really sure how he'll do that though, or why he would.  He would have to absolutely love Kingsbury I guess, or really want to play in DC.  Neither of those feel realistic to me.  I like Kingsbury well enough, but he's not Lincoln Riley.  Seemed like even Kyler Murray's relationship with him became toxic.

I don't say no chance Caleb does this because he marches to the beat of his own drum, and the hometown connection is there for him.  In his heart, I'd bet he'd prefer to play here instead of Chicago, even if only for the important reason that Chicago's coach is already on the hot seat.  But I seriously doubt that it rises to the level that Caleb would be willing to force his way here.  I wouldn't if I were him.

I do agree that there is no way Chicago passes on him unless they are forced to.  They're not picking any of the other QBs over him.

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The only possible way we get Williams is if he forces the Bears to trade him to us by pulling an Eli.  I'm not really sure how he'll do that though, or why he would.  He would have to absolutely love Kingsbury I guess, or really want to play in DC.  Neither of those feel realistic to me.  I like Kingsbury well enough, but he's not Lincoln Riley.  Seemed like even Kyler Murray's relationship with him became toxic.

I don't say no chance Caleb does this because he marches to the beat of his own drum, and the hometown connection is there for him.  In his heart, I'd bet he'd prefer to play here instead of Chicago, even if only for the important reason that Chicago's coach is already on the hot seat.  But I seriously doubt that it rises to the level that Caleb would be willing to force his way here.  I wouldn't if I were him.

I do agree that there is no way Chicago passes on him unless they are forced to.  They're not picking any of the other QBs over him.

Nobody actually wants to play in D.C. even if they're from here. Caleb Williams went to HS here and went to college at freaking Oklahoma and then LA. Kevin Durant is from here and played his college ball at Texas and wouldn't even meet with the Wizards. The hometown allure is non existent for D.C. And honestly, the fact that he's from here is actually a negative to me. Way too many family/friends/enablers and the whole hometown hero savior angle could be crippling to what already seems like kind of a fragile psyche.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 10.33.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 10.33.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 10.34.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 10.34.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 10.34.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 10.34.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 10.35.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 10.35.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 10.35.22 AM.png

Honestly we can't really go wrong with either. Its gonna come down to how we commit to their development but both are as good as QB prospects as you can realistically ask for.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

These comparisons to RG3 are laughable. Daniels wishes he had half of RG3's arm talent.

And RG3 wishes he could actually read a defense the way Daniels could in college lol. Let's not do this. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

These comparisons to RG3 are laughable. Daniels wishes he had half of RG3's arm talent.

Daniels is better at everything besides arm strength. :lol: I don’t think there is even really a debate. Against much better competition too. 

1 minute ago, zCommander said:

I hope you mean for us and not the best in the NFL in the last 12 years. Cause Mahomes might have a problem with you then lol

Mahomes was not that highly regarded as a prospect. He was considered super boom or bust and a big time risk pick. Obviously it panned out but I remember a lot of "What!?" responses when t he Chiefs moved up to get him.

12 hours ago, NOLA2DC said:

How is your QB room playing out with two Carolina guys? I want to keep Howell also, but how does that help a rook?

Obviously I have no idea how that would play out, but I can see clear potential for it being a big plus.  

1. You’d have two guys with experience in the same offense, and that shared experience can serve as a translation bridge for the new offense.

2. If they’re good friends, you probably have less ego in the qb room, they’ll likely support each other and won’t be afraid to speak up in front of each other.

3.  They’re apt to spend a lot of time outside of the facility together, which potentially means a lot more time learning together.

4.  I imagine it’s easier to coach two guys that have the shared experience in terms of offense experience and age.

5.  I could see how having a friend (that’s in all the same meeting rooms) might help a rookie get more comfortable, faster.

6.  There’s a decent chance that whatever one qb needs to hear, the other needs to as well.

There are potential negatives of course.  To me, the big one (if we don’t wind up with a vet in the room) is that your rookie isn’t hearing/seeing the higher level questions and coaching that a vet might bring.  Now, part of me wonders if that’s a little like learning pre-cal and calculus at the same time, but even if you only retain some of the advanced stuff, I’d think it might help provide context to the more basic stuff.  I have no idea though.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

10 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

I wasn't even talking about the idiocy going on with the team. I was talking about how the fans can't be consistent on what should be done with the #2 overall pick. This year most of them are saying "Of course you always use that high a pick on a QB when you don't have one" when just 4 years ago almost all of these same posters were saying "It's Chase Young or bust!"

It's just pretty funny.

:rofl89:

The difference was when we drafted Young #2 we had used a first round draft pick on a QB the year before - and that QB had played well the last couple of games of his rookie season. 

There was some logic to not taking a QB #2 overall a year later. 

With hindsight a key mistake that doomed Ron from the get go. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

And RG3 wishes he could actually read a defense the way Daniels could in college lol. Let's not do this. 

9 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Daniels is better at everything besides arm strength. :lol: I don’t think there is even really a debate. Against much better competition too. 

RG was capable of firing passes into tight windows. Something that is an absolute necessity in the NFL. And the whole "his arm is good enough" argument with Daniels doesnt hold water in my opinion. You either have a NFL caliber arm or you dont. And I have seen nothing on tape that tells me Daniels has one. JUST MY OPINION.

• Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

RG was capable of firing passes into tight windows. Something that is an absolute necessity in the NFL. And the whole "his arm is good enough" argument with Daniels doesnt hold water in my opinion. You either have a NFL caliber arm or you dont. And I have seen nothing on tape that tells me Daniels has one. JUST MY OPINION.

Cool. Everyone that I trust that has done breakdowns disagrees with you. 

And having a strong arm certainly didnt help RG3 have a longterm career as a starter...nor Zach Wilson and countless others.

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Re: two UNC dudes in the same room, if that somehow becomes anything negative that's a knock on the coaches.

It just creates kind of a strange dynamic. On top of that, I don't think it makes sense for the backup to be just as much if not more of a developmental project than the starter. You want an established experienced veteran that can be a guiding hand.

38 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Nobody actually wants to play in D.C. even if they're from here. Caleb Williams went to HS here and went to college at freaking Oklahoma and then LA. Kevin Durant is from here and played his college ball at Texas and wouldn't even meet with the Wizards. The hometown allure is non existent for D.C. And honestly, the fact that he's from here is actually a negative to me. Way too many family/friends/enablers and the whole hometown hero savior angle could be crippling to what already seems like kind of a fragile psyche.

Honestly we can't really go wrong with either. Its gonna come down to how we commit to their development but both are as good as QB prospects as you can realistically ask for.

The D.C. thing is true, All the big Schools get first 's on a lot most of the local talent. Durant went to Texas. Mins away from MD. GT.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It just creates kind of a strange dynamic. On top of that, I don't think it makes sense for the backup to be just as much if not more of a developmental project than the starter. You want an established experienced veteran that can be a guiding hand.

Well sure but you gotta pay for that.  And anyone worth anything in that regard is gonna be expensive.

I wonder if we could lure Alex Smith back, not as a player but as a quality control guy on staff.

16 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Well sure but you gotta pay for that.  And anyone worth anything in that regard is gonna be expensive.

I wonder if we could lure Alex Smith back, not as a player but as a quality control guy on staff.

Yeah for sure. Its a balancing act. Do you pay a little extra to make sure your prized rookie gets an experienced vet in the QB room with him? There isn't really anything Howell can teach him, he's not at that stage of his career.