Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Regardless, this is a 4 to 6 win team next year. 

Not so sure about that. Defense can’t get worse. QB production can’t get worse, efficiency-wise. Running game will by default be better. Roster will improve, schemes will be better, gameday coaching will improve. Morale will be higher.

Would be surprised if they produce a similar amount of wins as this dead dog Rivera team that gave up less than halfway through the season. 7+ wins could be achievable even if they tear he roster apart more than people expect—either way there will be lots of turnover. But even tearing it down to the studs they could win more than 4-6 games. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Conn said:

Not so sure about that. Defense can’t get worse. QB production can’t get worse, efficiency-wise. Running game will by default be better. Roster will improve, schemes will be better, gameday coaching will improve. Morale will be higher.

Would be surprised if they produce a similar amount of wins as this dead dog Rivera team that gave up less than halfway through the season. 7+ wins could be achievable even if they tear he roster apart more than people expect—either way there will be lots of turnover. But even tearing it down to the studs they could win more than 4-6 games. 

I mean, we would have a hard time replicating this year's failures. The chemistry of fail is one to behold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

Running game will by default be better. Roster will improve, schemes will be better, gameday coaching will improve. Morale will be higher.

Exactly… did we have 1 100yd rusher this season, I can’t remember any back going over 100… that is atrocious imho

5 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

They could do that which may or may not be a bad idea. There probably 3 years worth of rebuilding on this team. Problem is they would never hear the end of passing on the QB. Regardless, this is a 4 to 6 win team next year. 

If the QB can play decent, we bounce back to Ron’s 6-7 wins.  Still double digit losses but not as bad as last year.

It will probably take 3 years of drafts/free agency to build a team capable of challenging for the nfc.

Not really much context given the variance in weapons, OLine, Coaching, Scheme, etc... but something to think about. I'd like to see what I assume are correlating stats (Pressure rate, Time to Pressure, WR separation, etc...).

Don't destroy me for asking this question, I'm just garnering the interest or lack thereof as I heard this mentioned somewhere last night, and it did have me thinking.

If Peters could get Justin Fields from the Bears for no more then a 3rd at best would you pull the trigger and insert him as day 1 starter and thus paving the way for MHJ to be our selection at #2 or under no circumstances would you want Fields here.

Remember too he's on his last season of a rookie deal so if he would ball out the team would be looking at probably a huge raise for him or losing him outright which would make giving up a 3rd kinda useless.

Alot depends on what you think Fields brings to the table and what if any value you hold for a 3rd round pick.

Just thinking out loud, remember no higher then a 3rd would be given up for Fields in any deal with the Bears

Edited by Command The 414

I think all the people wanting Fields only saw him play against us where he lit up our sorry D. He was mostly terrible this year with a few moments of looking decent. He's a great athlete but can't actually play big boy QB. He misses reads and can't process information quickly enough.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

Don't destroy me for asking this question, I'm just garnering the interest or lack thereof as I heard this mentioned somewhere last night, and it did have me thinking.

If Peters could get Justin Fields from the Bears for no more then a 3rd at best would you pull the trigger and insert him as day 1 starter and thus paving the way for MHJ to be our selection at #2 or under no circumstances would you want Fields here.

Remember too he's on his last season of a rookie deal so if he would ball out the team would be looking at probably a huge raise for him or losing him outright which would make giving up a 3rd kinda useless.

Alot depends on what you think Fields brings to the table and what if any value you hold for a 3rd round pick.

Just thinking out loud, remember no higher then a 3rd would be given up for Fields in any deal with the Bears

If you were going to pick MHJ, who is a surefire star and would solidify our receiving core for a decade, you would need to sign Russel Wilson to be the starter and then draft your future QB in the 2nd round or next year. In that scenario, you could possibly trade back to 3 with the Pats and get an extra second and first next year. This is of course if the new GM and coach don't feel confident that either Maye or Daniels can be the future. I would actually be happy with this especially if we rebuilt a powerhouse OL through the draft and free agency.

• Like 1

Russell Wilson? Justin Fields?

Today has to be April Fool's Day right? Why are so many people suggesting such crap QB options when we have a chance to draft a 21-22 year old blue chipper with star potential?

What is happening? Am I just losing my mind?

Edited by Warhead36
  • Haha 3

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Russell Wilson? Justin Fields?

Today has to be April Fool's Day right? Why are so many people suggesting such crap QB options when we have a chance to draft a blue chipper with star potential?

What is happening? Am I just losing my mind?

You're exactly correct on Fields, I would want no part of him. But Russel Wilson is not a crap QB option, he just needs to be put in a good situation. I guarantee he'll have a Baker Mayfield resurgence with a new team at some point. Russel Wilson paired with Terry and MHJ to me sounds pretty sweet, especially behind a stout OL and reborn smash mouth running attack. And who knows if Maye can be a star or if Daniels can make it through a season with his RG3 body and playing type? They're both talented but they don't scream franchise QB to me.

2 minutes ago, Tyler Spiers said:

You're exactly correct on Fields, I would want no part of him. But Russel Wilson is not a crap QB option, he just needs to be put in a good situation. I guarantee he'll have a Baker Mayfield resurgence with a new team at some point. Russel Wilson paired with Terry and MHJ to me sounds pretty sweet, especially behind a stout OL and reborn smash mouth running attack. And who knows if Maye can be a star or if Daniels can make it through a season with his RG3 body and playing type? They're both talented but they don't scream franchise QB to me.

Wilson stinks. There is a reason Sean Payton benched him for Jarrett freaking Stidham.

I'd start Howell again before I went down the Wilson path.

39 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

It's not all his fault about how the Bears screwed his development, but he has some backbreaking fundamentally bad flaws. Even at Ohio State where he was surrounded by studs. All of his Oline got drafted, and he had Allstar WRs. Still ate a lot of bad sacks, and also had a really high time to throw. He's demonstrated very little ability to get rid of the ball on time. He holds onto it which screws with the Timing of the offense. Really bad field vision as well, regularly misses receivers running open, can't pull the trigger on NFL open windows, bad anticipatory thrower. These are fundamental kind of flaws that you can't just coach out.

I'd be interested only if we brought him in and made up some kind of position for him ALA Taysom Hill. End the charade of trying to make him work as a QB. Just line him up everywhere, get him a full head of steam, and let him run like hell. You can probably throw some trick passing plays in there too. He's probably got too much pride to accept that kind of arrangement, but I think he could make a lot more money that way. Otherwise he's on a fast track to the Bridge/Backup QB pipeline.

Edited by BBLXIX
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Wilson stinks. There is a reason Sean Payton benched him for Jarrett freaking Stidham.

I'd start Howell again before I went down the Wilson path.

Stinks? He won a Super Bowl and was one bad play from another Super Bowl win. Have a little respect. And Sean Payton isn't some God, he got lucky with an onsides kick in his only Super Bowl win and has been riding that to the bank for years.

2 minutes ago, Tyler Spiers said:

Stinks? He won a Super Bowl and was one bad play from another Super Bowl win. Have a little respect. And Sean Payton isn't some God, he got lucky with an onsides kick in his only Super Bowl win and has been riding that to the bank for years.

Breh he won a Super Bowl in 2013. Join us in 2024.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Breh he won a Super Bowl in 2013. Join us in 2024.

Broseph, he's 35 with no major injuries, I think he's got a few good years left and could bridge us until we found our new QB. I'm not saying do this, I'm just saying it's an option if the new GM/Coach don't feel confident in Maye's potential as a franchise QB or feel Daniels will get crushed with his frail body. We don't wanna have another RG3 fools gold situation. 

6 minutes ago, Tyler Spiers said:

Broseph, he's 35 with no major injuries, I think he's got a few good years left and could bridge us until we found our new QB. I'm not saying do this, I'm just saying it's an option if the new GM/Coach don't feel confident in Maye's potential as a franchise QB or feel Daniels will get crushed with his frail body. We don't wanna have another RG3 fools gold situation. 

Sorry, I'm just against acquiring bad QBs. Especially ones that not one but two excellent highly regarded coaches have said "nah, no thanks" to.

In all honesty, I would pay $25 to Dan Snyder directly just to experience the 2024 pre-season if our QB competition was Old Man River Russ versus Broken Sam.

That would be roster management so catastrophic that it would actually be amazing. 

19 minutes ago, Tyler Spiers said:

I'm going to be honest. I've not been sleeping well the last three months.

There is a non-zero chance that Typer Spiers is a troll account I set up in the middle of the night but have no memory of.

The only thing that makes me think this is not me is the lack of an insult/go-away punch line.

I think my sub-conscious would write better is what I'm saying.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

Hell no.  Fields isn’t a good qb. Whatever team he’s playing for in 24, will be disappointed and if they pay him the big bucks; will regret it.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

Going after Fields is similar to the Panthers going after Darnold. You have to give him the fifth year option before he takes a snap for you.

I wouldn’t, and I’m not expecting Peters to, look at anything else other than Williams, Maye, and Daniels and decide if you and the HC can build and win with any two of those three.

• Like 1

• Koolblue13 changed the title to The Official QB Thread- With Howell the Season Went and the #2 Pick, What's next. Including Rookie QB Talk.
10 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

In all honesty, I would pay $25 to Dan Snyder directly just to experience the 2024 pre-season if our QB competition was Old Man River Russ versus Broken Sam.

That would be roster management so catastrophic that it would actually be amazing. 

This is a debate for the sake of debate only.

This is a discussion board so we struggle for topics and they get rehashed endlessly but you are correct, we will have a new rookie quarterback next year and there really is no debate.

Looking at the history of the nfl I can't think of too many if any examples of a team in desperate need of a young signal caller and having the second pick in a coveted quarterback draft but passing it up to bring in a vet.

That's what you do when you don't have a Crack at the best young options.

That said we could certainly bring in a veteran to start this year if it's determined that a year sitting will benefit the young quarterback but I don't see that as likely and it won't be a high priced guy either.

Now if wilson is willing to take a low contract because he's being paid handsomely by the broncos and sees this as a good opportunity to resurrect his career then maybe but I'd be pretty surprised.