Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

9 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

If the question is....Who would be considered the SB winning QB if they go on to win it?   Wentz.     

I think the Wentz/Foles question is a bit different, because Wentz got them to 11-2

It sure is different. But the gist is the same.

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

3 O lineman, Y TE, add depth to the defense.

And an average QB,  I think we have a shot at the big dance.  Smaller shopping list than usual IMO this off season.

This would be our third year in a row saying the “If we have just an average QB” mantra lol…we must thoroughly suck at finding even average QBs.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

This would be our third year in a row saying the “If we have just an average QB” mantra lol…we must thoroughly suck at finding even average QBs.

I can’t speak for everyone else but for me it’s the first time I can recall in eons that I am clamoring for average in the off season. I am typically aiming higher. I feel much better about this roster than I typically do 

• Like 5

If Baltimore puts the nonexclusive tag on Jackson, would you give up 2 firsts and give him a Watson-like deal?  Watson’s cap number is really small this year, but is 54M in future years.  Would Jackson be able to take advantage of McLaurin and Dotson?  And could they keep a defensive core together with that kind of commitment?

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I can’t speak for everyone else but for me it’s the first time I can recall in eons that I am clamoring for average in the off season. I am typically aiming higher. I feel much better about this roster than I typically do 

Yeah it was said a lot after the last two seasons…Going 5-1 with “one-legged 46-year-old Alex Smith” as starter in 2020 then going 7-8 with “noodle-armed midget Heinicke” as starter in 2021 had a bunch of fans and even media members making comments about how far the team could go with just average QB play. But to your point the offensive weapons have been massively stocked up so those comments are more appropriate now.

9 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Lmao. Philly, Dallas, KC, LAC, Miami and Jacksonville didn't do back to back 1st round QB draft picks like you're advocating lol. In fact, there's only one team that has in recent history. Arizona. The returns are mixed, pending whether video games get in the way during their QB's rehab.

You both seem to be taking this as a "There's only one way to get a franchise QB" sort of problem. It's either flipping QBs like tarot cards, or it's sitting on a QB for half a decade no matter how much he sucks.

You're wrong. There isn't a right way to do it. You get lucky or you don't. Maybe your luck comes a year down the line. Maybe 2 years. Maybe never. The great thing about being an armchair GM is that you'll never get fired for being wrong too many times. Professionals who have to build a team while the rest of the players are young and cheap don't have that benefit.

Or maybe I'm wrong and you guys are savants that should submit your forum posts as resumes to league offices. You should try that, I'm curious how that will turn out.

clskinsfan and z showing up to work on draft day

DeLorean's New Alpha 5 Is Straight Out of BACK TO THE FUTURE - Nerdist

17 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Jackson doesn’t look like a player whose game is aging well.  Numbers trending down, games missed trending up…

Unless a QBs built like Can or Hurts, it won't work having a running QB. 

LBers are the size of SSs now, but faster and hitting like LBers still.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Jackson doesn’t look like a player whose game is aging well.  Numbers trending down, games missed trending up…

Agreed. I could see a new owner trying to make a splash though… just hopefully not at the expense of the team’s long term success. 

San Francisco has 3 QBs that are better than any on our roster. Well Lance is not proven at all but I’m guessing he’s not going anywhere. I wonder what it would take to get Jimmy G in the offseason. He’s probably a better medium term stopgap than Wentz.

I’d also be interested in Daniel Jones in the same category if the Giants don’t bring him back. He’s looked a lot better this year with NYG finally having a slightly better supporting cast. Price would have to be right but I think he could be decent. 

55 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

What would it take to bring Wentz back? Making the playoffs is a minimum I'd guess, but what if he plays really well and we're scoring like 30 PPG but only manage to go 1-1(or worse) and miss it? Do we still consider bringing him back? 

Yes.

51 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

If Baltimore puts the nonexclusive tag on Jackson, would you give up 2 firsts and give him a Watson-like deal?  Watson’s cap number is really small this year, but is 54M in future years.  Would Jackson be able to take advantage of McLaurin and Dotson?  And could they keep a defensive core together with that kind of commitment?

NO!

4 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

Dare I say Baker to DC?

You are late to the party. @TradeTheBeal! already said that last night lol

4 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

If Ron is back I expect a Wentz Howell Room next year

👍 i said this yesterday as well. 

8 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

I’d also be interested in Daniel Jones in the same category if the Giants don’t bring him back. He’s looked a lot better this year with NYG finally having a slightly better supporting cast. Price would have to be right but I think he could be decent. 

Jones intrigues me.  He has had success this year protecting the football.  Very few interceptions.  Can make plays with this legs.  And the giants have arguably the worst wr crew in the NFL.  He could take off with our wr weapons, and won't be a statue that succumbs to our weak (hopefully improved in '23) oline.  

However, if Wentz leads us to the playoffs, Ron probably convinced himself he should get first crack in 23 and they bring him back.  If we miss the playoffs, that means the giants made it, and they probably keep Jones.  So very unlikely we take that route unfortunately.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Enough with Mid tier at best answers... 

Yeah for real. There is no discernible difference between Heinicke and a lot of these other guys. Maybe like one more win tops for a lot more salary. People are going hype on Jones because he looks great against us but he's mostly mediocre against the other 30 teams in the league.

14 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Those of us that understand the game have been calling for this for decades. You draft QB's until you hit. You PASS on the "generational" DE that gets skipped at one because he isnt "generational" at all and take Herbert in his place. Even the Bosa's.....Great players. But neither is a QB. And that means everything. People keep saying oh you are wasting draft picks if you keep picking QB's. I say no. You are wasting draft picks until you HIT on your QB. 

Herbert was far from a sure thing.  He was viewed as shy and aloof, a kid who had never been outside of Eugene.  Many questioned if he could handle the pressure of being an NFL QB.  

And others have made this point as well: nobody was advocating for Herbert over tua, hip and all.  Many ppl thought Herbert was going later than 7.

Hindsight is 20/20.   Pretending like Herbert over Young was an obvious approach is ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Enough with Mid tier at best answers... 

You mean the guys where it’s actually plausible they might be available?

We’ve got a good enough roster now that we won’t be picking top 5 for the foreseeable future. Probably going to have to do the 49ers or Bucs model where we get a midtier guy to hold us over until we can trade a ton of picks for a 1st round rookie, or somehow try to attract a top guy in FA. Not sure how many of those guys are expected to be on the move though. 

My question for the folks much smarter than me, is Sam Howell that much worse than TH?? I have heard that he's sitting because of his footwork?? It's frustrating because if average QB play is all we need then why the hell is he not getting a small number of snaps? I understand the coaches are playing for a playoff spot, but they should know that both Taylor and Wentz have hit their max potential 

But since we are discussing everyone, mid tier guys included, just curious on everyone's thoughts on Gardner minshew.  He had some success in jax and looked good stepping in for hurts last week.  Since we have a lot of weapons, we don't need an elite QB, maybe our offense could work w minshew.

Another guy who is getting a lot of flak in my area is Mac Jones.  Fanbase is divided, some thinks he stinks, others blame Patricia for the offensive struggles.  But Mac is ticking ppl off with his comments and body language.  I don't see the pats cutting bait with him after this season, but if you were GM, would you call NE to see what it would take to trade for him?  If so, what would you offer?