Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

7 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Wentz's finger says who.  By the time he's healthy we'll either still be in contention or not.  If we are, you don't replace Heinicke.  If we aren't, you play Howell.  

Pretty much.  Ron probably feels his job is on the line.  If you are back in contention for a playoff spot TH stays at QB as he is the one who got you there.  If you arent in contention what point is there to play Wentz over Howell?  I dont see why Wentz would play again outside of an injury

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Pretty much.  Ron probably feels his job is on the line.  If you are back in contention for a playoff spot TH stays at QB as he is the one who got you there.  If you arent in contention what point is there to play Wentz over Howell?  I dont see why Wentz would play again outside of an injury

You could play Wentz to see if he improves from where he was during the first 6 games, I suppose...because if he plays lights out over the remaining games it gives you another possible option.

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Didn’t realize til now that (if I have the numbers right) Heinicke was 13-16, 161 and 2 tds in the 2nd half.  Those are pretty awesome numbers.  I also wanna say he was 4-7 on 3rd down passes?  That’s pretty good against the top rated 3rd down D.

Of course, 1) his accuracy in the first half was really ugly (and could have easily resulted in more picks), 2) GB lost Gary and then I believe Clark left the game, 3) it’s a Joe Barry Defense.

Random other points:

Seemed to me didn’t sail a lot of balls compared to last year.

He said looking at the tablet throughout the first half that he was encouraged because he was making all the right reads, he was just overly excited/jittery (and therefore off-target).

Was his 2nd half indicative of added experience/confidence/improved mechanics (things he’s talked about making a difference from last year to this)? 

GB is terrible against the run.  Can TH perform at a high (enough) level when the run game struggles?

What’s been the main driver for improvement in the ground game?  Commitment to it?  Inserting Larsen?  Playing bad run Ds?

I still think Wentz is a better fit for Turner’s offense (even as immobile as he’s been), but given our oline, his contract, and hearing the quote from Arians (I think?)  that a qb needs 3 years to get comfortable in a system… is rolling with Wentz once he’s healthy the right move?  Have a feeling that’s the direction the staff goes.  Feels like getting Howell ready is the smarter option.

One advantage Heinicke seems to have over Wentz is a soft touch on shorter passes.  Which, if you go back and watch the game, was a major factor in moving the chains yesterday. It got so frustrating watching Wentz rocket 8 yard curl routes over the receiver's head time and time again. Too often his arm strength hurts him on short and intermediate passes.  At least Taylor's flutter balls give open receivers a chance.  

Heinicke is Billy Kilmer minus the bourbon and with his pre-auto accident legs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peregrine said:

Credibility.

Remember Ron spent all 2021 talking about needing to upgrade QB, even when we were winning.  If he at some point says he blew up our cap situation this season jus to keep Taylor as the starter...jus wait until the offense starts to slow down and folks start clamoring for Wentz to come in because he can make throws Taylor can't and that's why he was brought here in the first place.

We can't go from "Terry wouldn't resign unless someone else was starting QB" to "we have to start Taylor no matter because thats who Terry wants to play with" and not expect me to not cork an eyebrow...the extremes of this debate seem shift every 7 days or so...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Year 1: Haskins

Year 2: Fitzpatrick 

Year 3: Wentz

Year 4: ?

If Ron makes it 5 years, I can totally see him opening each season with a new starting QB. Short  of Wentz coming back and going on a tear, year 4 will be somebody new at this point.

It’s possible, but it’s also more likely the front office makes a case for “we haven’t seen enough of Wentz this year since he was injured. We should see what he has next season”. So depending on where you stand on the QB spectrum, it’s possible we all lose.

• Like 1

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Remember Ron spent all 2021 talking about needing to upgrade QB, even when we were winning.  If he at some point says he blew up our cap situation this season jus to keep Taylor as the starter...

He was asked about this today.

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

But try not to be an overblown dumbass on either extreme of our latest es "qb controversy spectrum."' That's the best way to make sure you can continue to share your special magic with the class. 😛

Its hard sometimes with the crew left here 😉.  Theres only a certain subsection that willingly sticks around for the abuse

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

He was asked about this today.

Then he shouldn't be in charge of building this team if it doesn't phase him being that wrong and jus running with an obvious backup QB for another possible playoff run after seeing how that ended last year.

He's basically winging it, one game at a time sounds good, but if Taylor actually beats out Wentz when he returns and Rivera honestly believes Taylor is the better QB, can Rivera really be trusted to evaluate that position anymore?  I'd say he'll no.

Edit:  Ron went out of his way to clarify it was his idea to bring in Wentz, not Snyder, deciding Taylor is better in late November early December is lose lose for him and he should be let go for that alone.  Flippin through QBs like a Sears catalog is NOT winning football

Edited by Renegade7

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Credibility.

Remember Ron spent all 2021 talking about needing to upgrade QB, even when we were winning.  If he at some point says he blew up our cap situation this season jus to keep Taylor as the starter...jus wait until the offense starts to slow down and folks start clamoring for Wentz to come in because he can make throws Taylor can't and that's why he was brought here in the first place.

We can't go from "Terry wouldn't resign unless someone else was starting QB" to "we have to start Taylor no matter because thats who Terry wants to play with" and not expect me to not cork an eyebrow...the extremes of this debate seem shift every 7 days or so...

But thats forgetting that Ron truly believes he has built a very good team, and that it was just missing one piece.  So if he has a QB come in and play well enough for his very good team to win, he believes THAT gives him the credibility.  I think hes delusional with thinking he built a good roster, but hes harped on that all offseason and early into the season.  No way he throws that away for a guy who lead "his roster" to 1-4.

6 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

We knew the answer to this already when he brought in Ryan Fitzpatrick as the starter.

Are we jus agreeing Ron doesn't know what he's doing and debating on what the right thing to do is, then?  That's more then fair, and I'd make the same point you jus did.

5 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

But thats forgetting that Ron truly believes he has built a very good team, and that it was just missing one piece.  So if he has a QB come in and play well enough for his very good team to win, he believes THAT gives him the credibility.  I think hes delusional with thinking he built a good roster, but hes harped on that all offseason and early into the season.  No way he throws that away for a guy who lead "his roster" to 1-4.

Fair, his logic is flawed if he wants to blame Wentz alone for that first half against the Lions, that was a total team ass whopping and everyone knows it.

"Quarterback"

Edited by Renegade7

16 minutes ago, Carsonfanforlife said:

Let's wait and see where we are after the next 3 games and how he's playing at that point before anointing Heiny.

No one is anointing him anything.  If he sucks and struggles, you then have a team sitting at 3-7 at worst.  What's the point in going back to Wentz at that point?  You play Howell.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

@Renegade7 Rivera made a bet on Wentz last summer, which I supported because I thought he'd be a clear upgrade over Taylor and potentially a long-term starter. I think it's pretty clear he's not that guy. Not every bet is going to hit. But given that now we have more data, I wouldn't go back to Wentz just because he was the Day 1 starter. ESPECIALLY not if it would cost our 2nd round pick. 

Taylor played a bad Packers team. The real tests will be Minnesota and Philly. But I wouldn't be surprised if he gives the team a better chance to win than Carson.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

I think we can all agree that Heinicke would never make this throw:

I also think Wentz takes a sack on this throw:

And this is why when Sam is ready.. we need to get him out there...

TH will keep us good enough to beat bad teams but there is definitely a low ceiling...  If Sam needs more time then we roll with TH but no need to "find out what we have in TH" when we can roll Sam Howell out there.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

Sam Howell 💪💪💪

Here's hoping! It would be awesome if he can turn into our Dak (4th/5th round guys who become true franchise QBs).

Also, if our draft position is too low for the top prospects, Jimmy G is a free agent this summer. We can easily ditch Carson and could theoretically sign a legit starter in Jimmy to replace him. Funny enough, Jimmy G is kind of like San Francisco's Heinicke in terms of his teammates loving him. It's so clear they preferred him to Trey Lance.