Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

4 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Matt Ryan played exactly like Matt Ryan: he was decent but did nothing special. Plenty of yards, accurate, but didn't do much to help his team win. Will throw the occasional TD as well as the occasional INT.

It's the Colts and Irsay's own fault that they spent the entire offseason telling everyone who would listen that Ryan was basically Peyton Manning reborn.

Doesn't mean that Ryan can't or won't play better, but at this point in his career IMO he's mostly a JAG and will probably end up with stats relatively close to what he put up last season.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

😂

Dudes who wear capes roll differently. The less constraints the better. Just stay out of the way Ron and let the dude do his thing. 

Imagine telling Steph Curry to stop taking bad shots. Yup, I just compared Wentz to Steph :) 

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Wentz was Wentz, basically.

Made some great plays, made some dumb plays. Fortunately, the really great plays outpaced the really bad ones. Both INTs were on him: he completely stared down Dotson the entire time on the first throw (he also waited too long to pull the trigger), and on the second he just made a boneheaded decision to throw it into so much traffic (though it was also a really good defensive play by Walker as well).

More exploring an opportunity to learn, but are all “stare downs” equal? For example, staring down an out route when a guy is single coverage doesn’t seem all that bad. From my view 60-70-% of completions is the QB staring down a WR. It seems he identified single coverage and decided to go that way, the corner made a good play. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Captain Wiggles said:

They gave up almost 400 yards, 120 on the ground, n 24 first downs. Now they were better on 3rd down than years past. Very good today they were not.

The first drive sucked and their other TD was because of a turn over. Give up yards, but not points. I'll take it.

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

More exploring an opportunity to learn, but are all “stare downs” equal? For example, staring down an out route when a guy is single coverage doesn’t seem all that bad. From my view 60-70-% of completions is the QB staring down a WR. It seems he identified single coverage and decided to go that way, the corner made a good play. 

I think it depends on the situation (is it off coverage, man, etc) but I don't think it's a good idea in general, especially on an out route when it can be so easy for a DB to jump the route, which is exactly what happened in that situation.

IMO that was pretty bad. They showed in the replay how Wentz had his eyes on that route from the snap, how the DB was watching Wentz's eyes the whole time and then jumped the route as soon as he saw Wentz starting to throw.

I try not to overreact from one game one way or another.

So I don't like to define anyone fast.

For me today, Wentz was who I thought he was, not better, not worse.  He doesn't IMO look like a top 10 QB.  More like 15-20 range. 

He teased that he can be as great as his potential was once billed as.  He also teased that we could have a similar ending like the Colts where it can fall apart.

We saw a little bit of everything.  I am not excited.  I am not upset.  Playing it medium.   

As far as crapping here on the Colts and Matt Ryan, as much as I enjoy it -- I also think its premature and bad karma. :ols:  I recall some crapping early on -- on some teams and players over the years and it backfired.  So while I enjoyed they had a "meh" start, i am far from thinking their season is defined by it.  Heck we easily could have lost to the Jags today so while i am enjoying the win, I am not feeling chesty about it.   The thing that sucked about the tie with the Texans is the Taxans had them beat but let the Colts come back. Too bad, it would hhave been more fun if it were a Colts loss.  What a boneheaded play by Davis Mills towards the end when he just needed to get a yard which he easily could have run for and threw the ball out of bounds, they could have won.  😧

Edited by Skinsinparadise

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me today, Wentz was who I thought he was, not better, not worse.  He doesn't IMO look like a top 10 QB.  More like 15-20 range. 

I think he'll be better than 20. I could see him being somewhere around 10-15th. We have really good skill players around him, but he's gotta stop overthrowing wide open guys. He's gonna make boneheaded picks which is why he'll never be firmly in the top 10 or 5.

46 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Matt Ryan played exactly like Matt Ryan: he was decent but did nothing special. Plenty of yards, accurate, but didn't do much to help his team win. Will throw the occasional TD as well as the occasional INT.

It's the Colts and Irsay's own fault that they spent the entire offseason telling everyone who would listen that Ryan was basically Peyton Manning reborn.

Doesn't mean that Ryan can't or won't play better, but at this point in his career IMO he's mostly a JAG and will probably end up with stats relatively close to what he put up last season.

With me going to Indy for that game and if Ryan ends up having the game of his life.  I am coming to get you for the bad karma you are putting out there for that game.  :ols:

There is nothing more miserable for me than traveling for a loss and taking abuse from the hometown team.  Though I've been having good luck for this team on the road, the last loss I saw on the road was versus NO in 2017.   

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think he'll be better than 20. I could see him being somewhere around 10-15th. We have really good skill players around him, but he's gotta stop overthrowing wide open guys. He's gonna make boneheaded picks which is why he'll never be firmly in the top 10 or 5.

If he's 10-15, we are definitely going to the playoffs.  IMO today he was more 15ish today versus fringe top 10. 

But I got an open mind.  Will see.  We were up against the worst team in the NFL last year and won by the skin of our teeth.  I'll take the win but I want to see the movie play out.  And as far as Wentz, I saw some of what makes him special and also saw some of what his critics kill him for.  I definitely lean positive.  But i am not feeling uber confident or down after today's game. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With me going to Indy for that game and Ryan ends up having the game of his life.  I am coming to get you for the bad karma you are putting out there for that game.  :ols:

There is nothing more miserable for me than traveling for a loss and taking abuse from the hometown team.  Though I've been having good luck for this team on the road, the last loss I saw on the road was versus NO in 2017.   

Yeah I'm honestly not trying to jinx it or anything. And I'm not saying Ryan hasn't been a very good QB in his career. I just think it's likely that his days are somewhat numbered. He's 37 and seems to pretty clearly be on the downside of his career at this point IMO.

My bigger take away was that I think Irsay, the Colts in general, and most of the national sports media probably made a bit of a blooper by talking about how amazing Ryan is and how it was the best move of the offseason, yadda yadda. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

It wouldn't have if Davis could cover. 🤣

Damn it wiggles, can't I just be blindly optimistic without having to argue it.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I'm honestly not trying to jinx it or anything. And I'm not saying Ryan hasn't been a very good QB in his career. I just think it's likely that his days are somewhat numbered. He's 37 and seems to pretty clearly be on the downside of his career at this point IMO.

My bigger take away was that I think Irsay, the Colts in general, and most of the national sports media probably made a bit of a blooper by talking about how amazing Ryan is and how it was the best move of the offseason, yadda yadda. 

The colts have been over rated for years and matt ryan isn't a great QB. He's just really good. Sip loves the guy though.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I will say I like the fact that he seems to have a short memory. The broadcaster made a note of that. 

Some may call that’s gunslinger mentality, I guess that’s fine. But it’s obvious that he’s gonna play his game and sling it even if he just threw two bad picks.  It might not always work out like it did today but I respect it. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Reading the Colts forums, they are bashing the o-line and lack of weapons (Sans Pittman & Taylor).  

I've seen some articles with titles like "Ryan leads comeback to tie Texans"...as opposed something more realistic like "Ryan has 1 TD, 1 INT in lukewarm first outing with Colts"

I have a feeling the excuse machine will be going full throttle for Ryan all season most likely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

His days being somewhat numbered that could be.  Will see.  lol, because I wanted to see the Colts lose, that was the game I peaked in on during commericials and then watched the end of that game.  Ryan from what I saw looked fine.  Tough for me to form an opinion good or bad from what I saw.  But in general I am wary about painting a brush based on one game. 

As far as karma, I recall all the ha ha ha on Micah Parsons after his first preseason game from some, about how Dallas screwed up the pick for example.  Sometimes the crapping on a player after one game doesn't bode well. :ols:

As far as the national media, I've made the same point that they are likely getting carried away with Ryan.  But still I am wary about saying they are wrong after game 1. 

Maybe I am too uptight because I am going to the game in Indy.  I typically go to a game where I think they got at least a 50-50 chance to win.  Not sure how I feel about this one.  I think it will either be an ultimate high from being there or an ultimate low because of all the backdrop around the game.   I would hate it of course if Irsay has an I told you so victory lap.  Conversely, it would feel awesome if Wentz rubs it in his face.  And I do like the karma at the moment around this game with Irsay taking the low road. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Barkley looks like the way people talk about Zeke.

Barkley had a big game,  I watched most of that game.  Giants didn't look bad.  I am actually hoping they have a middling type of season and resign Daniel Jones.  I don't want the Giants imploding in what looks to be a good QB draft.  

The good news watching that game is to my eye the Titans looked surprisingly mediocre.  Watching that game, I think we beat them at home.  Granted it is just one game so maybe the Titans will improve. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I have nothing against Ryan and actually like him a lot, but all the talk about how he was some kind of god send while Wentz was the worst thing to happen in the history of life was just so absurdly extreme it was comical. 

Agree, I've made similar points.  That narrative though still needs to play out.  I got nothing against Ryan, he's not the one pumping himself up, its the national media and the Indy media doing it -- but still can't resist rooting against him.