Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Matt Ryan was not a steal with a 3rd rounder.  Way back in like October we were talking about trade targets and some in the media thought Ryan could be had with a Day 3 pick.

His arm has always been good enough and not strong.  His accuracy is a bit hit and miss, needing Julio to reel in too many poorly placed balls.  He processes well though.  But his pocket movement has been degrading over the years.

He was below average in every metric.  His ALEX (how timid you are on 3rd/4th downs was near the lowest of the league).  The only QB's with lower ALEX were Sam Darnold, Jared Goff, Davis Mills (rookie), Teddy Bridgewater,  and Andy Dalton.  His main check down target is not going to have a career year YAC-wise averaging almost 11 yards a catch.

His cap hit this year is 18.7m (ok for his level of play) but 35.2m next year with half that in dead cap if he's cut.  That's a huge number for a declining QB.

He's going to be 37 and they're tied to half his cap while he's 38. 

This isn't a steal situation.  It's a risk for the Colts.  They're gambling hard. 

• Like 8

17 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Yes I watched his games.  Why are you talking **** to me? You think I'm some kid? I watched his good games and bad games and if you watched the same games you'd see that he should have had twice as many INTs as he did.  There's no confusion with how poorly his decision making was by his own recognition and HOF Kurt Warner, all his coaches and I agreed.

Nothing I said was about trashing Wentz it's called criticism. I don't look through rose colored glasses at reality.

His final stats were actually ranked 19th and worse than Teddy Bridgewater, Jalen Hurts, Mac Jones (R), Matt Ryan to name a few that are in his tier.

Still not a Carson Wentz hater, nor am I ignoring his deficiencies. I'm still not sold on if he'll be able to be a franchise QB for WSH, nor is the WSH FO or they would have restructured his contract and not let good FA's walk and added at least a decent LB'er and CB to a defense that was the worst in NFL History on 3rd Down Conversions. No, they're clearly not ALL-IN on Wentz and for good reason.

What stats are you talking about? Wentz has better stats than any of those guys except completion percentage and yards.

Edited by Carsonfanforlife
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

All good points.  I'd add some here think the Colts O line sucks.  It actually doesn't.  It was one of the more hyped units in the NFL for years.    But the hype about the Colts O line also has been twisted from Wentz critics because they are riding on the preception from the recent past.  The O line wasn't good last year because they were banged up.  So that wasn't the usual Colts O line.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hopefully Wentz sees this stuff and uses it as fuel...I like Matt Ryan more than most people here but the hype about him coming from Indy is way over the top IMO

Of course this is what they will say. Not surprising one bit

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Matt Ryan was not a steal with a 3rd rounder.  Way back in like October we were talking about trade targets and some in the media thought Ryan could be had with a Day 3 pick.

I've been following the QB market pretty close on the QB thread.  I don't recall the talk about Ryan being fetched for a 4th-5th rounder.  I recall some saying late first but most of the talk was a 2nd.

As far as some in the media.  You can find some who say anything.  So I don't doubt that.  There are some in the media who actually think Wentz could be had for nothing let alone for just a mid round pick -- saying that he'd have been released. 

https://heavy.com/sports/atlanta-falcons/matt-ryan-would-fetch-1st-round-pick-in-trade-scenario/

Matt Ryan’s best years as a starting NFL quarterback may be behind him, but he could still fetch the Atlanta Falcons a first-round draft pick in trade.

That’s according to one ESPN Insider, who has outlined a scenario where the Falcons would send their 36-year-old franchise quarterback to the AFC West. The deal would be dependant on timing, in order to offset Ryan’s huge salary cap hits the next two years and earn the Falcons a first-round selection in 2023.

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

His arm has always been good enough and not strong.  His accuracy is a bit hit and miss, needing Julio to reel in too many poorly placed balls.  He processes well though.  But his pocket movement has been degrading over the years.

He had an off year.   As I've said many times, if the new Matt Ryan is the 2021 version of it, then "meh".  If he's back to his old self then IMO they got a find.  Among other things, I disagree that Ryan struggles with accuracy. 

I don't think a third round pick presents much risk.  They got him for one more season after the next and the Colts typically manage the cap well.

But based on your post, I gather you don't care much for Ryan.  Yeah if i didn't think much of Ryan, I'd think "meh" about a third rounder for Ryan.  But they've gotten plenty of kudus for the deal including from personnel guys from other teams who have commented on it to the Athletic.  So I am far from an island on this.  to each their own.

I like Wentz.  I like the trade we made.  But the team taking the risk is this one IMO not so much the Colts.  I don't mind though a high risk-high reward move at QB.  

Just like I think the Colts have been too chesty.  On my end I am not going to be chesty in reverse and say the joke is likely on them.  Will see.  Many of trades in real time have been celebrated by many, including me with some exceptions.  And I've learned not to always expect the last laugh at the end even if it feels that way initially.  So I am cautiously optimistic.  

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Yeah, it's pretty amazing what people can take for granted if they're used to it. I've mentioned this before, but the Packers and Packers fans are going to be in for a very rude awakening once Rodgers is gone or retired. They've literally had a HoF QB at the helm for 30 years now. Many Packers fans weren't even alive for the team not being a contender every year.

They also have a strict policy of not guaranteeing money to FA’s past the first year or two, so they won’t be bringing in talent that way once they don’t have the draw of a HOF QB, either. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been following the QB market pretty close on the QB thread.  I don't recall the talk about Ryan being fetched for a 4th-5th rounder.  I recall some saying late first but most of the talk was a 2nd.

I distinctly remember talking in the draft thread about Ryan and if it was worth us sending a 3rd rounder or if we should spend a 1st in the draft on a QB (this was before we all knew the QB class was underwhelming).  Some media guys thought on name and franchise status with the Falcons, he'd get a 1st.  Others said level of play and age means Day 2 was the best he could get, and some thought his decline meant he shouldn't be worth a Day 2 pick.  This isn't like the rumors involving an also old QB, such as Aaron Rodgers, who would have required everything you could throw at the Packers and then some.  Ryan was considered the worst of the QB's you could get that was still worth trading for.

The narrative has shifted since the trade.  Now all the media acts like he's a borderline elite QB.

He had an off year.   As I've said many times, if the new Matt Ryan is the 2021 version of it, then "meh".  If he's back to his old self then IMO they got a find.  Among other things, I disagree that Ryan struggles with accuracy. 

The decline wasn't just 2021, check out his career sack rates.  It's been slowly rising for years now.  First 10 years of his career, his career sack rate was in the 4-5% range, with 2 years above 6 and 2 years below 4.  The past 4 years however, his sack rate has been 6.5%, 7.2%, 6.1%, 6.7%.  Ryan is not escaping pressure as well as he used to.  It's not a 1 year outlier, he's just older now.  He doesn't move as well as used to.

Check out his scrambling effectiveness.  In 2016, his MVP season, his scrambles for runs on a per play basis were 15th best in the league with an overall positive outcome.  +12% better than average QB scrambles.  In 2021, his scrambles for runs were 41st out of 42 QB's.  -61% worse than average QB scrambles.

He doesn't move as well.  That's affecting his throws when he doesn't have a clean pocket.

I like Wentz.  I like the trade we made.  But the team taking the risk is this one IMO not so much the Colts.  I don't mind though a high risk-high reward move at QB.  

Both teams are taking a lot of risk.  There's no doubt about that, not saying we aren't.  I'm just basing this off of the Colts move for Ryan being "slam dunk" or "risk free" like you hear some say.  He's tied to them cap wise for 2 years, and if they decide to play him in his 2nd year, he'll be paid way over market unless he reverses his gradual decline over the past couple years.

43 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I distinctly remember talking in the draft thread about Ryan and if it was worth us sending a 3rd rounder or if we should spend a 1st in the draft on a QB (this was before we all knew the QB class was underwhelming).  Some media guys thought on name and franchise status with the Falcons, he'd get a 1st.  Others said level of play and age means Day 2 was the best he could get, and some thought his decline meant he shouldn't be worth a Day 2 pick.  This isn't like the rumors involving an also old QB, such as Aaron Rodgers, who would have required everything you could throw at the Packers and then some.  Ryan was considered the worst of the QB's you could get that was still worth trading for.

I followed it closely.  I was one of the higher people on Matt Ryan.  He wasn't plan A for me.  The aggregate impression I got from the media following his trade value was a 2nd and change or just a 2nd.  And I posted about it at the time. 

Personally I do think a 3rd rounder for Matt Ryan is a good get from them and i know I am far from alone.   That doesn't mean I bank on Ryan being great -- but to me a third rounder which is less than what the Panthers gave for Darnold, is cheap for a QB relatively speaking. 

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/27/indianapolis-colts-matt-ryan-trade-ranking-offseason-moves-2022/

And yet, despite all that, the value here is borderline tremendous; by getting a pair of threes for Wentz, Ballard essentially flipped his last QB rental for Ryan and a third-rounder. And limited as he may be, Ryan’s floor figures to be in the ballpark of 2021 Wentz. It’s not hard to envision him playing rejuvenated behind a much better setup than he had in Atlanta, leaning on the ground game and returning the Colts to the playoffs. With the Falcons eating some of his remaining five-year, $150M extension, Ryan makes for a safe and reliable, if unspectacular, short-term answer.”

As for Ryan being the worst to trade for.  I agree if its compared to Rodgers, Wilson of course.  But I'd easily take him over Jimmy G. 

50 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

The decline wasn't just 2021, check out his career sack rates.  It's been slowly rising for years now.  First 10 years of his career, his career sack rate was in the 4-5% range, with 2 years above 6 and 2 years below 4.  The past 4 years however, his sack rate has been 6.5%, 7.2%, 6.1%, 6.7%.  Ryan is not escaping pressure as well as he used to.  It's not a 1 year outlier, he's just older now.  He doesn't move as well as used to.

No doubt he could be declining. That's the thesis of my point on Ryan. 

If its Ryan can find his way back, maybe he revitalizes with a new team, etc, I think the Colts would be fine considering I do think they have a strong roster.   But if for him 37 is like what its been for other QBs versus Rodgers and Brady who seem not to have lost a step, he might continue that slide.

QBR for Ryan

2016:  Ranked #1

2017:  Ranked #6

2018:  Ranked #9

2019:  Ranked #14

2020:  Ranked #16

2021:  Ranked #21

• Like 2

I think I would have looked at getting Ryan as getting another Alex Smith or Mark Brunnel. Nothing wrong with having a good game manager. In fact, under Snyder our best years have been with steady, low risk guys, but I would have seen Ryan as a placeholder whose purpose was to get us to the first round of the playoffs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think I would have looked at getting Ryan as getting another Alex Smith or Mark Brunnel. Nothing wrong with having a good game manager. In fact, under Snyder our best years have been with steady, low risk guys, but I would have seen Ryan as a placeholder whose purpose was to get us to the first round of the playoffs. 

From an age standpoint I agree with the point.  But purely as players in their career Ryan is on a different planet than those 2.  But if Ryan is genuinely declining and he certainly might be then.  I think Ryan is a slam dunk Hall of Famer.   Among other things he has stats that Alex and Brunell can only dream of having.  They aren't even on the same planet.  Ryan has been a top 10 QB, later part of the top 10 for most of his career with a few years arguably top 5.  Led the league in QBR multiple years, not top 10 but actually #1.  

But I'll say while I am a much bigger fan of Ryan then some people on this board where I get the impression they think Ryan has been just a slightly above average QB in his career, i do think the hype for Ryan from the Colts and the national media is over the top.  It feels like they think they got Brady.  I think Ryan is underrated by some.  He's been a better QB in his career than the 2nd tier class that some like to compare him to like he's a less mobile Derrick Carr.  He might be that type of QB today but he's had a much better career than the 2nd tier dudes like Carr, Kirk, etc and certainly Alex Smith and Mark Brunell and yes Wentz, too.

But how are they so sure Ryan isn't losing a step?  And all the hype about Ryan and all the crapping on the Commanders about Wentz seems to me bad karma for the Colts.  And yeah I would feel the same if it was the reverse.  :ols:  We as fans and even the local media have been chesty about off season acquistions before that have blown up in our face.  So the fact that it feels like the reverse this time I think its a good omen.  OK, the Colts are geniuses.  Ryan is just finding his prime now.  And Wentz is a cross between Blake Bortes and Blaine Gabbert with the personality cross of Jay Cutler and Jeff George.  :ols:

And for me personally I do think Ballard did a nice job playing the off season.  I do agree with the national media on this.  I know some here don't think Ballard did a good job.  That's fine.  To each their own.  And I also think this team at the same time did a good job this off season.  Both points can be true at the same time.  But the media wants to bill this with a victor and a loser, and we are the loser.  OK, cool.   Good karma for us. 😀  But lol I don't want to contribute to breaking that karma by saying the joke is on the Colts.  

Most in the media has celebrated for the most part all the other acquistions for this team over the years for a QB.  They've all not worked out for different reasons IMO.  This to them is the mistep unlike the other moves.   And to me its a good sign.  I just don't want the team to get chesty about Wentz the way the Colts have been about Ryan and if that happens and we stay medium I think we finally win the karma war. :ols:. Based on what Sheehan said recently from talking to someone in that building, they are privately giddy about this roster.  OK cool.  But I hope we get no declarations from the players this off season like we did last year about greatness.  Hungry and humble. 

26. Washington Commanders

What went right: Washington swiftly addressed its needs on offense. After Ryan Fitzpatrick went down for the season in the 2021 opener, the Commanders targeted a more significant replacement and landed Carson Wentz in a deal with the Colts. They replaced the expensive guard duo of Brandon Scherff and Ereck Flowers by signing Andrew Norwell and Trai Turner, giving them two bruising run-blockers on the interior, albeit ones who are past their professional peak. They will add a third-round compensatory pick for losing Scherff to the Jaguars.

What they could have done differently: Wentz is better than Marcus Mariota, but after disappointing two different organizations that desperately wanted him to succeed, I wonder whether the Commanders would have been better off holding on to their picks and signing Mariota to start.

Waiting out the veteran market would have given them a chance of trading a smaller haul for Ryan or acquiring Baker Mayfield or Jimmy Garoppolo at a discount. They couldn't have known how everything would go at the start of the offseason, but Rivera's focus on locking in any sort of upgrade on Taylor Heinicke without being sensitive enough to the price was a negative.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/33977430/ranking-best-worst-nfl-offseasons-2022-which-teams-improved-declined-plus-went-right-wrong-next

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

26. Washington Commanders

What went right: Washington swiftly addressed its needs on offense. After Ryan Fitzpatrick went down for the season in the 2021 opener, the Commanders targeted a more significant replacement and landed Carson Wentz in a deal with the Colts. They replaced the expensive guard duo of Brandon Scherff and Ereck Flowers by signing Andrew Norwell and Trai Turner, giving them two bruising run-blockers on the interior, albeit ones who are past their professional peak. They will add a third-round compensatory pick for losing Scherff to the Jaguars.

What they could have done differently: Wentz is better than Marcus Mariota, but after disappointing two different organizations that desperately wanted him to succeed, I wonder whether the Commanders would have been better off holding on to their picks and signing Mariota to start.

Waiting out the veteran market would have given them a chance of trading a smaller haul for Ryan or acquiring Baker Mayfield or Jimmy Garoppolo at a discount. They couldn't have known how everything would go at the start of the offseason, but Rivera's focus on locking in any sort of upgrade on Taylor Heinicke without being sensitive enough to the price was a negative.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/33977430/ranking-best-worst-nfl-offseasons-2022-which-teams-improved-declined-plus-went-right-wrong-next

EB on The Junkies was going off about the negativity over Wentz and this Barnwell thing this morning.  He pointed to some stats for Wentz on TD/INT ratio compared to other top QB's and although I couldn't find the exact stat he was quoting, I did find these.

https://www.footballdb.com/leaders/career-passing-tdintratio

image.thumb.png.6d6d7f890982557e305e5fa75fdb0aae.png

As far as Ryan vs. Wentz, I've always liked Ryan, going back to his Boston College days.  He's been mostly clutch, and if his idiot HC and OC hadn't completely screwed up the end of the SB, he'd have a SB ring.  (He had a hand it in too, but Quinn and Kyle share 97.6387% of the blame on that complete meltdown.)

If you put a gun to my head and said, "in a vacuum, which would you prefer as a 1 year stop gap for 2022" I'd say Ryan.  

The problem is, the Commanders don't NEED a 1 year stop gap.  Or a 2 year stop gap.  They need to take chances to end this QB carousel for at least 5-7 years.  We've been looking for a franchise QB since 1986, and Joey T. was even on the decline when LT broke his leg.  We've had a couple of oases with the potential of Trent Green (but he wasn't retained because there wasn't an owner), Brad Johnson, Griffin for a hot second, and Cousins.  But we've been searching for so long.  

Bringing in a 37 year old QB, UNLESS it was Aaron Rodgers, wasn't the play.  You make an exception for one of the top 5-10 QBs of all time who just won an MVP award.  If Tom Terrific wanted to start his political career by coming to Washington at 44 or however old he is, that's fine too.  But that's basically the list.  

Otherwise, you've got to get somebody younger who can be around for more than 1-2 years at most.

I'm sure the Colts are going to be happy with Ryan.  I still don't think they're going to make the playoffs.  I think they're going to finish with EXACTLY the same record.  

The problem for the Colts is they are in their window right now and they have to win.  If they don't win in the next couple of years, they're going to have to re-tool, and Ryan won't be there, and they will slip back from being a good team to a "meh" or bad team.

The cap number next year for Ryan is also going to be problematic.  And even if he's good this year, are they really going to want to restructure and put more years on a deal with a 38 year old QB?  Maybe they do, and they just punt everything for 3 years, and acknowledge they will take a $50M hit at some point down the road. 

They can pea**** around for now, but unless they get to at least the AFC Championship Game this year, they're basically just treading water.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

33 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

As far as Ryan vs. Wentz, I've always liked Ryan, going back to his Boston College days.  He's been mostly clutch, and if his idiot HC and OC hadn't completely screwed up the end of the SB, he'd have a SB ring.  (He had a hand it in too, but Quinn and Kyle share 97.6387% of the blame on that complete meltdown.)

If you put a gun to my head and said, "in a vacuum, which would you prefer as a 1 year stop gap for 2022" I'd say Ryan.  

The problem is, the Commanders don't NEED a 1 year stop gap.  Or a 2 year stop gap.  They need to take chances to end this QB carousel for at least 5-7 years.  We've been looking for a franchise QB since 1986, and Joey T. was even on the decline when LT broke his leg.  We've had a couple of oases with the potential of Trent Green (but he wasn't retained because there wasn't an owner), Brad Johnson, Griffin for a hot second, and Cousins.  But we've been searching for so long.  

Bringing in a 37 year old QB, UNLESS it was Aaron Rodgers, wasn't the play.  You make an exception for one of the top 5-10 QBs of all time who just won an MVP award.  If Tom Terrific wanted to start his political career by coming to Washington at 44 or however old he is, that's fine too.  But that's basically the list.  

Otherwise, you've got to get somebody younger who can be around for more than 1-2 years at most.

I'm sure the Colts are going to be happy with Ryan.  I still don't think they're going to make the playoffs.  I think they're going to finish with EXACTLY the same record.  

The problem for the Colts is they are in their window right now and they have to win.  If they don't win in the next couple of years, they're going to have to re-tool, and Ryan won't be there, and they will slip back from being a good team to a "meh" or bad team.

The cap number next year for Ryan is also going to be problematic.  And even if he's good this year, are they really going to want to restructure and put more years on a deal with a 38 year old QB?  Maybe they do, and they just punt everything for 3 years, and acknowledge they will take a $50M hit at some point down the road. 

They can pea**** around for now, but unless they get to at least the AFC Championship Game this year, they're basically just treading water.  

I think there is plenty of grey in the Wentz-Ryan stuff but the media is billing is so binary like.  And yeah I do blame the Colts for that because they are feeding that narrative big time so I put it more on the Colts than the media.  

Coming from the dude who panned the heck out of the Alex Smith trade at the time.  It wasn't personal against Alex though some took it that way because I wasn't sold that he was "great" like they did and had a beef that I thought he was only "good".  But yeah I didn't see Alex as a take the team to the promised land type of QB especially with the roster they had at the time.  So I saw it as a typical uninspiring Bruce Allen lets tread water type of move and it doesn't shock me that the bleeding fans narrative took hold to some extent that season where they were winning yet had half empty stadiums.

The thing about Wentz is for a change its not a tread water type of move.  It's high risk, high reward.  If you are swinging for a QB, I think that's what you got to do in today's NFL.  The reason why I got a special beef with PFF and Sheehan on the Wentz stuff is they both love selling going for high risk-high reward swings at the spot.  That's exactly what they are doing here.  Maybe Wentz is exactly what his critics say he is which is he makes bad decisions, is wildly inconsistent, isn't clutch and a bad leader.  Do I think they are right on most of this?  Nope.  But I am not ruling it out either.  It's possible he sucks here and the media thumbs its nose at the team and says I told you so.  But its also possible that this happens.  Wentz learns to improve his decision making, settles down in the clutch and uses his strong arm and mobility to have a big time season and revives his career.  

I like Mariota more than most.  The dude Barnwell in the ESPN article I posted said we should have signed him instead.  But I don't see Mariota as having high upside if he regains his form.  I think he's at best 18-22 type.  But as for Wentz if he rediscovers, he has top 10 talent.  It's a hard swing at the fences.  These deals we've made for 34 year old QBs, mostly who were on the decline and were not top 10 QBs arguably even in their prime -- those deals were celebrated at the time.  And its wild to me that playing it safe and treading water is that much more celebrated than swinging for the fences.

As for Ryan, IMO I am sort of in between those that are hyping him and the naysayers here.  Do I think he's this be all and end all QB who will take him to the promised land?  Nope.  I do think he takes them to the playoffs.  I do think the Colts collapse last year was a combination of O line injuries and COVID so I doubt they get unlucky on that front again.   To use a baseball analogy, Ryan has been low key very good for so long. He's been like a steady 305 hitter.  Some group him with ther 280-290 hitters but IMO that's wrong.  He's been a steady 300 hitter with three big seasons of borderline MVP type play where he hit 340 plus.  Hall of fame career.  He's a bigger QB than anyone we've had here.  Bigger than Brad Johnson, Kirk, Alex and by a clear peg.  Some seem to think he's the same dude as those guys.  IMO he's not.  He's a clear peg bigger than them.

But at 37, he might be a Kirk, Brad Johnson, Alex at THIS stage of his career.  But I don't know.  It wouldn't shock me that playing with a loaded roster and that change of scenery helps Ryan find his groove again late in his career or the decline might continue.  I don't know.

But I do think the Colts made a good move for them.  I do think we made a good move for us considering Wentz's upside and age.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I think Wentz is going to fit in nicely here. He has all the tools you want in an NFL QB and if he avoids the injury bug(Big ****ing knock on wood) then I can see him having a very productive season. New start for him and I hope he takes full advantage of it.

59 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Mark Rypien says hello. Yes, his peak was brief and he made some boneheaded errors before the great 91 year but he was the closest we had, since...you know, we won a SB. In another era of playoffs we'd have gone from 89 through 92.

1 minute ago, Ghost of said:

Mark Rypien says hello. Yes, his peak was brief and he made some boneheaded errors before the great 91 year but he was the closest we had, since...you know, we won a SB. In another era of playoffs we'd have gone from 89 through 92.

Yeah he’s be an oasis for sure that I forgot.  Had basically 2 good years 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The thing about Wentz is for a change its not a tread water type of move.  It's high risk, high reward.  If you are swinging for a QB, I think that's what you got to do in today's NFL.  The reason why I got a special beef with PFF and Sheehan on the Wentz stuff is they both love selling going for high risk-high reward swings at the spot.  That's exactly what they are doing here.  Maybe Wentz is exactly what his critics say he is which is he makes bad decisions, is wildly inconsistent, isn't clutch and a bad leader.  Do I think they are right on most of this?  Nope.  But I am not ruling it out either.  It's possible he sucks here and the media thumbs its nose at the team and says I told you so.  But its also possible that this happens.  Wentz learns to improve his decision making, settles down in the clutch and uses his strong arm and mobility to have a big time season and revives his career.  

I like Mariota more than most.  The dude Barnwell in the ESPN article I posted said we should have signed him instead.  But I don't see Mariota as having high upside if he regains his form.  I think he's at best 18-22 type.  But as for Wentz if he rediscovers, he has top 10 talent.  It's a hard swing at the fences.  These deals we've made for 34 year old QBs, mostly who were on the decline and were not top 10 QBs arguably even in their prime -- those deals were celebrated at the time.  And its wild to me that playing it safe and treading water is that much more celebrated than swinging for the fences.

Wentz is definitely a swing for the fences move at a reasonable cost and while waiting for QB options to open up might have been a more prudent move in hindsight, Mariota is surely not the answer. The biggest issue with him has always been staying on the field, the guy is a walking injury and Atl will find this out quickly this year.. which might have been the move all along, sort of a " we're tanking without admitting we're tanking the year for a high qb pick next year"