Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

There is a very bizarre desire to defend or trash Taylor Heinicke.  I don't get it.  We have one of the best backups in the league.  This should be celebrated, but bizarrely it's turned into a debate about how great or how terrible he is.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm still hopeful for Carr. Swap firsts this year or our 1rst for their 2nd, plus at least 1 more 1rst. No players. 3 1rsts for Carr and 2 2nds. Go sign Adam's for him and resign Terry and let Carr just RIP it.

Keim did mention Carr briefly and that until he signs an extension or new contract, he is a guy to watch.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Heres my take. See if you can trade 11 for 20 and take Pittsburgh’s 2023 1st. They get Willis. I know this fanbase will go nuts, but if this FO doesn’t believe in this class that’s the move to make. And I’d be okay with it. 

I don't know that they don't believe in this class.  Who do you like in the 2023 QB class that you think is obtainable for them?

3 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Keim did mention Carr briefly and that until he signs an extension or new contract, he is a guy to watch.

Keim is almost every podcast mentions Carr, give me a little hope. 😀

Peter Schraeger as we speak on GMF talking up the Wilson offer and sayng how he admires how openly aggressive Rivera is about wanting a QB.  lol, two on their panel suggesting our team is a loser, why would he want to go there?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm still hopeful for Carr. Swap firsts this year or our 1rst for their 2nd, plus at least 1 more 1rst. No players. 3 1rsts for Carr and 2 2nds. Go sign Adam's for him and resign Terry and let Carr just RIP it.

I was not a fan of trading for Carr early on. I know see he is one of the best options. However, there is a limit on trade costs for me. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jericho said:

Minshew's not a starter, so what's the point of trading for him? There are better options available. Plus, we see his value. He was just traded for a 6th round pick.

Minshew reminds me a lot of Fitz....for more reasons than one. He understands defenses and will sling the ball. The Eagles did well getting him for just a 6th according to some NFL media people I've listened to. He seems a little limited but he can also heat up and have good days. Minshew did well for what he had to work with in Jax. 

5 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

There is a very bizarre desire to defend or trash Taylor Heinicke.  I don't get it.  We have one of the best backups in the league.  This should be celebrated, but bizarrely it's turned into a debate about how great or how terrible he is.  

We're all talking about how awesome he is and how lucky we are to have him, in the back up QB thread. He owns that thread as well he should. Nobody has a negative thing to say about him in the "how do we solve our back up QB problem" thread. Where he belongs.

This thread is about finding a starter at QB. That's why we dont talk about him in this thread.

Or shouldn't. 

• Like 1

Definitely not a QB evaluator here,but next year the top QB’s are going to be picked with the first couple picks. Would likely have to trad the moon to move up. Think if you like someone at 11 this year you grab him. If not maybe strong in the second is the way to go. Are the second tier qbs next year better than the qbs this year?

Edited by Acworth skins fan
Needed to ask a better question
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Minshew reminds me a lot of Fitz....for more reasons than one. He understands defenses and will sling the ball. The Eagles did well getting him for just a 6th according to some NFL media people I've listened to. He seems a little limited but he can also heat up and have good days. Minshew did well for what he had to work with in Jax. 

The Eagles definitely have a better back up than we do.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

We're all talking about how awesome he is and how lucky we are to have him, in the back up QB thread. He owns that thread as well he should. Nobody has a negative thing to say about him in the "how do we solve our back up QB problem" thread. Where he belongs.

This thread is about finding a starter at QB. That's why we dont talk about him in this thread.

Or shouldn't. 

This is "The QB Thread"...which includes the backup solution...of which we haven't had a reliable one since 2012.

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

This is "The QB Thread"...which includes the backup solution...of which we haven't had a reliable one since 2012.

Maybe a mod can help me edit that so it doesn't confuse you. 

We have a back up. The one you were whining about nobody talking about. Know why that is? Because hes the back up. QB3 if we draft and sign someone. 

Nobody cares. 

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The Texans should fire sale Watson now and just get it over with so they can move on. I'm willing to bet a few teams would trade 2 1rsts for him today, regardless of criminal charges. Hedge their bet, reload their cap and draft and just start building a team again. 

Carroll has plenty of years left coaching. He takes great care of himself, eats a plant based diet like Brady did. He could definitely do a rebuild, but why would he want to? You've got a top 5 QB now. Nothing is worth trading that away.

Watson - damn right. I’d trade conditional future firsts for him, 2023 and 2024 first rounders. Keep this years picks.

Carroll/Wilson - the point was that some in the building are more open to Wilson being traded as they see the end of the road for Carroll in 1/2 years. It’s very short term thinking on his part if that is the case. I’m pleased he eating healthily though. :)

Carr - yeah full circle back to the #1 option for me. Carr, on balance, would be who I’d ideally love us to get.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't know that they don't believe in this class.  Who do you like in the 2023 QB class that you think is obtainable for them?

Bryce Young, CJ Stroud. Although I know this far out so much can change. But on paper it’s a better class. And surely someone will emerge from out of nowhere ala Burrow, Willis, etc. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

neither we, not the college teams have played any games yet.  We could go into 2023 with every player in the draft available to us.  Or things could fall in so that any number of QBs are available at our pick.

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

This is debatable.  Especially with people salivating at the prospect of Trubisky or Mariota.  

Are you really trying to revive this argument?

Pages and pages of this thread have recently been dedicated to this very argument.  I, myself, have taken the bait and been part of it.  There's a few other people in the entire world, and they happen to post here - @kingdaddy & @zCommander that agree with you.  The rest of the world is like:

Stephen Colbert Thinking GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Bryce Young, CJ Stroud. Although I know this far out so much can change. But on paper it’s a better class. And surely someone will emerge from out of nowhere ala Burrow, Willis, etc. 

So you think they'd have a good shot at Young and Stroud even though some think they go #1 or #2.  I see this here and there pass on this draft for Young and Stroud but why do we think we'd be picking that high or the teams picking that high would actually trade their picks to us?   

Typically when you got these sure type of thing QBs you don't trade away the pick.  You'd have to hope some team with a good young QB like Jacksonville is one of those losing teams.  The other hurdle is with our easy schedule, we might be picking somewhere around 18-24 next year.  Steelers typically don't have a high pick.  When we traded up with the Rams we had the 6th pick in the draft and still gave up the moon from there.  I don't know how easy it would be to get to #2 with lets say the 19th and 23rd pick in the draft 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I don't agree with the "we are instand Super Bowl contenders with Watson" takes.  For one, our defense was quite terrible last season.  Two, he has won the same amount of playoff wins as Kirk Cousins.  Go check his rosters out during his first 3 seasons.  And when O'Brien gutted the roster?  4-12.  Elite quarterbacks are supposed to elevate terrible teams.  He is not elite.  We're divisional favorites with him, and maybe a playoff win with him.  And it's not worth giving up all of that draft capital for a team trying to distance itself from the sexual assault and harassment allegations.  

• Thumb down 1

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Are you really trying to revive this argument?

Pages and pages of this thread have recently been dedicated to this very argument.  I, myself, have taken the bait and been part of it.  

And...here you are...taking the bait again to bizarrely show your disdain for Heinicke at the mere mention of him.  I'm not trying to "revive" any "argument".  Pages and pages have him being brought up and people, such as yourself, entering the chat to remind everyone how much he sucks and isn't an NFL starter.  We get it.  He's not a starter.  But he's not Mike Glennon.

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

And...here you are...taking the bait again to bizarrely show your disdain for Heinicke at the mere mention of him.  I'm not trying to "revive" any "argument".  Pages and pages have him being brought up and people, such as yourself, entering the chat to remind everyone how much he sucks and isn't an NFL starter.  We get it.  He's not a starter.  But he's not Mike Glennon.

Yeah, I'm totally the one that is bizarre.

Not you - not the guy who just showed up ranting about how people are wierd because they don't like Heineke, and he's a "Top Backup", that we should be celebrating - when nobody has been talking about this dude for a few pages and none of the current conversation revolves around him.

It's totally me who is bizarre and obsessed - not you, totally.

He's also closer to Mike Glennon than he is a starter.

• Like 1

Don't know if this was posted already or not, but this is interesting.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, I'm totally the one that is bizarre.

At least you can admit it.  That's the final stage of grief.  

And my notifications took me back a few pages where the randos who are convinced Heinicke is a starter showed up, followed on cue, by you to shout them down.  Horseshoe theory in full effect.  

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So you think they'd have a good shot at Young and Stroud even though some think they go #1 or #2. 

I have a feeling the Eagles use some of their first round bounty this year to trade back and accumulate a stack of picks in the 2023 draft for that very reason. Insurance policy if their current QB situation goes down the toilet in 2022.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

This is complicated, and potentially dangerous to Rivera’s job prospects here in DC.  If he actually went down this road, and someone they didn’t draft like Willis or Pickett ended up having a great rookie year and look like franchise QB’s in the making, then Ron is going to have egg on his face AGAIN, and will risk losing the trust of whatever’s left of the fanbase at that point.

The team is bleeding fans each year, and they just had a terrible reveal of the name and jerseys. Quite frankly, the only people left cheering this team are the diehards.  They need to make a gigantic move towards QB THIS YEAR, so that the rebrand doesn’t fail like we think it’s going to. Ron has to make sure that there is potential for getting a franchise QB this year in the draft.  If they punt on drafting a QB again after punting on drafting one last year in a better QB class, that’s not going to be a good look.  We’d better have traded for Wilson/Watson/Carr, if that’s the case.  Signing some loser like Trubisky or Mariotta while punting on drafting a QB this year will be the end of Rivera in Washington.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Going back to the 2012 season, here are the quarterbacks who started in the Super Bowl:

Joe Flacco - Colin Kaepernick

Russell Wilson - Peyton Manning

Tom Brady - Russell Wilson

Cam Newton - Peyton Manning

Tom Brady - Matt Ryan

Nick Foles - Tom Brady

Tom Brady - Jared Goff

Jimmy Garoppolo - Patrick Mahomes

Patrick Mahomes - Tom Brady

Matt Stafford - Joe Burrow

There are outliers among them, but it's pretty consistent that you need an elite quarterback to even sniff the Super Bowl.  Are there any potential elite quarterbacks in the draft?  Doubtful.  But they have to draft one to find out, IMO.