Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

31 minutes ago, zCommander said:

And yet both of them are backups on their team. :rofl89:

TH played more games than them last year instead. ;)

That's because they're behind even better QBs. I think we just need to realize that the Commanders are going to be putting TH on the field unless there's an injury. They clearly don't see him as a starting caliber NFL QB.

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

That's because they're behind even better QBs. I think we just need to realize that the Commanders are going to be putting TH on the field unless there's an injury. They clearly don't see him as a starting caliber NFL QB.

I see you keep on saying that but you are not thinking all the way through like I am. You have to have a starting QB first to get hurt. Right now the "the big fish" is not going to happen. So from the the B list TH is still slightly better than them. Then you have your draft pick. If he shines and is ready to go then yes that would be ideal.

The name change and a new shiny QB to lead the team would allow Dan to sell more jerseys and get peoples butts in the seats. I think lot of people are overlooking this very critical part of the business and concentrate on the Xs and the Os as if that is the only thing that is happening with the coaches. This is why the coaches are hesitant to even bring up Taylor's name as they have a directive from the top. The team owners needs to be able to sell more jerseys and get more peoples butts in the seats. Everyone gets excited when they see new stuff. 

The GM did say TH will provide fierce competition but they have to still look for a QB. And they should. Have to check off the boxes on the QB list. Even teams like the Browns, the Falcons, the Seahawks, the Eagles, the Giants, the Packers, to name a few, have to check the QB boxes. 

I really like Ron and don't really want him to make a pressured decision. 

Edited by zCommander

8 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

What is the point of Mitch Trubisky or Mariota ? To win one more game? And then be further away from a potential savior QB next offseason? 

I know they were under contract last season, but if Rivera and company truly thought these guys were a great fit for Turner's offense, why didn't they try to trade for a 26 or 27 year old quarterback with playoff experience, but signed a 38 year old journeyman who has never been to the playoffs?  And I don't know if having Trubisky or Mariota would have even translated to more wins.  We'd probably still wind up 7-10.  

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I’d be more than happy with Wentz if there was little to no trade cost in terms of draft picks. I think we’d be crazy to overlook him if available. 

Same.  Writing off Wentz as an option makes no sense.  He has an option to get out of his contract in 2023.  If the Colts essentially pay Washington to take him, you do it.  

They signed 38 year old Ryan Fitzpatrick over Tyrod Taylor, Jameis Winston, Mitch Trubisky, Jacoby Brissett, and Andy Dalton last year.  That should tell you how they view these current potential free agents.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Same.  Writing off Wentz as an option makes no sense.  He has an option to get out of his contract in 2023.  If the Colts essentially pay Washington to take him, you do it.  

Washington would still be responsible for millions on his contract.  I don't know the exact number, same with Jimmy G.  We have to be careful on that because both players have their injury issues and it's been noted that Wentz may be released and possibly Jimmy G. too.  We have only so much cap space to use and we want to re-up some of our own players and sign a FA or two from teams.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to the WP reporter on 980 who I believe is at the combine.

She believes at QB their top favs are Pickett and Willis, sounds like in that order.  She said those are the two QBs she keeps hearing as to the team's interest

Makes sense.  Especially from Pickett being the readiest and their interviews thus far.  Today is when things really start taking off from the how/what they do at the Combine and Pro Days.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to the WP reporter on 980 who I believe is at the combine.

She believes at QB their top favs are Pickett and Willis, sounds like in that order.  She said those are the two QBs she keeps hearing linked to the team

Which means they'll use the #11 pick on them. I just hope they're not making the Haskins Mistake again--passing on better players to satisfy a need. Not saying either of these guys are the waste of space Haskins is, but more worried about the process.

3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I’ve seen reports (or, maybe “reports”) that the team called the chiefs about Patrick mahomes availability. 

please tell me this team isn’t stupid enough to waste their time with that, why would the chiefs even humor that idea?? 

I'm guessing from asking the Chiefs they're letting the NFL and everyone know they are open to trading for any starting QB on all the teams in the league.  

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For the Heinicke Hive, the FO and Ron continue to be ambigious about whether they see Taylor as their #1 starter next year.  😀

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.45.13 AM.png

This sort of puts to bed the idea of getting a guy like Trubisky or Mariota and drafting a QB, as some beat guys alluded to already.  Hopefully this is just niceties and a smoke screen, because Trubisky/Mariota plus a rookie seems like the most realistic and possible option right now.

10 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I’ve seen reports (or, maybe “reports”) that the team called the chiefs about Patrick mahomes availability. 

please tell me this team isn’t stupid enough to waste their time with that, why would the chiefs even humor that idea?? 

This is there way to say, "see we really tried", when they trot out Trubisky as the week 1 starter.

9 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

They talked about it on The Junkies this morning.  It's being reported out of context.  Fansided took what Mayhew said about reaching out to every team to inquire about potentially available QB's and ran with it to mean Mahomes too.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

This is there way to say, "see we really tried", when they trot out Trubisky as the week 1 starter.

I don't doubt they're making every effort--but they can't force teams to trade Wilson, Rodgers or whoever.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

What exactly do you guys expect them to do?

My least concern is that they aren't trying to upgrade the QB position.  They couldn't be more transparent about it.  However, several other teams also want an upgrade at QB.  Trubisky could end up actually being the best possible player they have a chance to acquire.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This sort of puts to bed the idea of getting a guy like Trubisky or Mariota and drafting a QB, as some beat guys alluded to already.  Hopefully this is just niceties and a smoke screen, because Trubisky/Mariota plus a rookie seems like the most realistic and possible option right now.

Reading all the comments I didn't take it that literally.  Ron flat out talked about he expects it will most likely be 2 veterans and a rookie when asked by Standig.  I take Mayhew just saying Heinicke is the backup.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Reading all the comments I didn't take it that literally.  Ron flat out talked about he expects it will most likely be 2 veterans and a rookie when asked by Standig.  I take Mayhew just saying Heinicke is the backup.

If we go Trubisky/Mariota/Winston + rookie, Heineke automatically becomes #3.

8 hours ago, zCommander said:

And yet both of them are backups on their team. :rofl89:

TH played more games than them last year instead. ;)

Because he was a backup and the starter got hurt after 16 plays.

Lets nit forget he didn’t even pose a threat to Fitz on training camp.  He never got starter reps.  He didn’t get the opportunity to start a preseason game.  He was also a backup.  

Josh Allen and Carr stayed healthy.  That’s the only reason they didn’t play.  Fits got hurt.  And never came back.  

Please tell me you understand TH was a distant backup all off season and if Fitz hadn’t gotten hurt he never would have played.  I really hope your reality lines up the that actual reality.  

• Like 1