Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

yeah, but look at the last two aged vet QBs we brought here--one almost died after breaking his leg and the other threw six passes then dislocated his hip. Maybe we shouldn't go down that road again lol...

That's...actually kind of a fair point.

What's next on the list? A meteor? Literally slipping on a banana peel that someone left on the field? Rabid pigeon attack?

• Haha 6

18 minutes ago, Conn said:

So why ever get a good QB again? Why even field a team? Freak injuries aren’t connected to each other, this is bordering on superstition

Yeah even though I'm making jokes about it, I don't really get the logic either.

QBs inhabit human bodies

Humans bodies have been hurt in the past and can be hurt in the future

Therefore...

We should not spend much on a QB because they are humans that can be hurt

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115abdcf4bd43c75a5fbb288ba07dea032a30665e4&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, smooth said:

I would take Jimmy G over mitch T...as long as we dont have to give up much.. 

So the not giving up much is the interesting question.  If we guess this:

Jimmy G, $25.5 million for 2022 + a 4th rounder

or

Mitch T, $6 million for 2022?

Jimmy G Contract issue

At what point can Jimmy G demand a contract extension?  If we trade a 3rd rounder does he have enough clout to do that?  2nd rounder?  For sure a 1st rounder but that's way too rich.

Mitch & lack of decent QB options league wide

Mitch probably winds up in a mini-bidding war from QB desperate teams.  Andy Dalton got $10 million last season (and they also traded up for a QB in the 1st round).  Fitzpatrick got $10 million as well, and we weren't the only team bidding on Fitzpatrick.  Does Mitch also go for $10 million?  What about $15?  At what point is it too much for a reclamation project off of good feelings as a backup, when he didn't really show improvement on his rookie contract?

I think Mitch looks like the more tempting option at say 6 million.  But if Jimmy can be had for a Day 3 pick, and we don't need to extend him, or there's a sizeable bidding war for Mitch then Jimmy looks more tempting.

I'll just drop some other contract numbers here, and it's not indicative of them being on the trade market.

Carr - $20 million but would absolutely get a new contract extension

Matt Ryan - $28 million

Jared Goff - $26 million (and his next 2 seasons afterwards are also 26m)

Cousins - $35 million

Mayfield - $19 million but would have enough clout to get a new contract extension

Wentz - $22 million (and his next 2 seasons are 20.5m)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

Oh I agree.  But the chances are super slim.  I think we all know that.  Reality is hoping for the best FA QB option (Winston, Mariota) but probably Trubisky because we tried trading for him last year and I'm guessing Turner/RR/F.O. see something in him and Pickett or maybe Willis.  I do like Corral a lot though if Pickett is drafted before we have a chance to draft him.  One thing though.  If Pickett refuses to get his hands measured at the Combine and not take part in certain tests that F.O.s and coaching staffs want him to take part in, then I'm all in for Corral.  

Not true.  They next 1st round pick is in 2024 per this anyway:  Los Angeles Rams Future Draft Pick Status (prosportstransactions.com)

When was their last 1st round pick? 

Just now, kingdaddy said:

When was their last 1st round pick? 

As I said, Aaron Donald was their last 1st round pick in 2016 and they don't have one until 2024....that's 8 years in a row that they haven't or won't have a 1st round pick. You must not have understood my post. 

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

No one is forcing you to be in here...lol

Maybe I like it!

58 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I am...I'm threatening his cat with bodily harm unless he posts on this thread.

Love Me Hug GIF by wildKitty

Edited by Bifflog
  • Haha 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

So why ever get a good QB again? Why even field a team? Freak injuries aren’t connected to each other, this is bordering on superstition

you know many pro sports fans that are have zero superstitions?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

No it isn't. My opinion runs with the coaches and everyone else. He's not an NFL QB and people need to stop bringing him up. I assume a lot of these people were big Colt Culters too.They're delusional and it's annoying.

Are backups/low end starters not NFL qbs in your book?  I ask because it sounds like you’re saying Heinicke doesn’t have a place in the NFL, our staff and most analysts say he does, and you’re saying “so we’re agreed!”, lol.

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah even though I'm making jokes about it, I don't really get the logic either.

QBs inhabit human bodies

Humans bodies have been hurt in the past and can be hurt in the future

Therefore...

We should not spend much on a QB because they are humans that can be hurt

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115abdcf4bd43c75a5fbb288ba07dea032a30665e4&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

I’m not putting much weight into the injury potential, but I’d have to think if Rodgers suffered a season-ending injury, he’d be pretty likely to retire (vs Wilson/Carr/Watson).  Wouldn’t that suck (and be so on-brand for us).

So I’ve thought of a (hopefully) better way to ask a question I posed earlier…

How would you guys rate the supporting cast of this year’s rookie qbs?  Defense, oline, receiving group, run game - who had to overcome/deal with poor units, who benefited by having good units?  Is this a legitimate consideration, or no?

2 hours ago, MrJL said:

you know many pro sports fans that are have zero superstitions?

No idea, but I’m one. Have never been superstitious. I’d think that any fan of this team who was at one time superstitious would have had that beaten out of them by the absolute misery of the last 20+ years. Like, at some point don’t people realize that not shaving, wearing the lucky Art Monk jersey, and eating the same meal they ate all season in 1991 just…never worked in the modern era of this sport? 

And that’s not even getting into the rubes  who believe in curses. I don’t have it in me to type the number of paragraphs those people deserve.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I'll just drop some other contract numbers here, and it's not indicative of them being on the trade market.

Carr - $20 million but would absolutely get a new contract extension

Matt Ryan - $28 million

Jared Goff - $26 million (and his next 2 seasons afterwards are also 26m)

Cousins - $35 million

Mayfield - $19 million but would have enough clout to get a new contract extension

Wentz - $22 million (and his next 2 seasons are 20.5m)

I get the argument (for ATL, DET, MIN and CLE in particular) that they want to hold onto their guys for one more year while they try to get a rookie in place, but it seems to me that ripping off the bandaid is a much better bet at long term success.  There’s risk involved for sure, but getting the cap off the books, trading their qbs for 2023 1st rounder (qbs who are almost certainly not taking those teams to a Super Bowl), “tanking” this year for draft position, and then (hopefully) drafting their guy in 2023 makes a lot more sense to me.  I just don’t really get this “we have to be competitive this year” angle.  Not saying it can’t work for them, just seems shortsighted (again, IMO).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Andre The Giant said:

Please let this happen football Gods.  I would be floating to work not walking it this were to happen.  The anticipation is going to be intense.  

Message to Aaron, come to Washington and become the commander of the commanders!!!!!!

10 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

One playoff win since 2020...how embarrassing. 

Heard something today where the Rams haven't or won't have a 1st round pick for 8 straight years cause they traded them for players like Stafford, Ramsey and others. They then cited that's how the Redskins did things back in their glory years????? I remember those days. Maybe this is the way to do things???? Certainly has worked for the Rams. 

Agreed.  Thinking back on it when Snyder first bought the team he spent money bring some big names, but they were finished as football players.  I would always trade my first for an established player.

Not really a realistic example, but in Fantasy we can trade or picks in a 4 player keeper league.  How I built my team,  Drafted Marvin Harrison.  Couldn't win in the first couple of years then I realized that I want Manning.  Trade for him.  2 Firsts, Trent Green (KC), Micheal Westbrook, coming off a great season and I got my guy.  Picked up Torry Holt for straight up.  Traded two firsts for Eddie George. Finally I traded Steve Young and a first for F. Taylor.  I won three years in a row.  Our league has changed now, at the time we were a TD only league. for players in their prime.  Ramsey is a stud.  Plain and simple.

In conclusion getting a star qb proven not a rookie, is the Lebron James effect.  Players will want to come to the team he plays on because they know they always have a chance.  Why did Beckham sign with the Rams?  Once you have a contender you become magnetic.  

What is the point of having cap space and draft capital every year, without any results,,,,,,winning.  

Les Snead figured that out, when young stars become available, you go after them.  Stafford was the final piece.  OBJ obviously helped.  They have a good coach, but he did not reinvent the wheel,  

I know their is a lot of other factors in real life, however the point I am trying to make is that the Rams traded their draft capital for guys that are established.  The draft is still important Donald/Kupp), however they knew that they could not when with Goff, so they made the trade to get the guy.  Not a rookie.  

Sorry for  the long winded post.  Also I am not a self promoter, simply using the best example I can think of related to the sport.  

• Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Are backups/low end starters not NFL qbs in your book?  I ask because it sounds like you’re saying Heinicke doesn’t have a place in the NFL, our staff and most analysts say he does, and you’re saying “so we’re agreed!”, lol.

This thread is about solving our qb situation Heinicke doesnt solve anything bringing him up just adds low hanging fruit to the discussion.

as for solving it i dont care how at this point our team name stinks along with the owners diapers everyone that says we should trade picks for an established vet has good points and the ones that say draft someone also have good points , get it done dont care how....watching this team the last month of the season was brutal realizing after the first quarter that we had no chance due to an offense that was so vanilla due to weak arm at helm.

Edited by CjSuAvE22

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Commanders fans should accept the likely reality that Jimmy G is the best case scenario let alone something to be bemoan and that we would be lucky to get Jimmy G.  

I do not get the warm and fuzzies here. lol

I do think RR wants a QB in place before FA so if the big guys are not an option, it would be Jimmy G, Wentz or Ryan. Ryans numbers are crazy and he is sunsetting so I remove his name.

13 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I do think RR wants a QB in place before FA so if the big guys are not an option, it would be Jimmy G, Wentz or Ryan. Ryans numbers are crazy and he is sunsetting so I remove his name.

I like Standig so its not a shot at him but lol he's the biggest curmudgeon when it comes to the QBs this off season.  His themes are more or less:

Rivera is desperate and indeed is shooting for the fences but who cares?  Him wanting a QB doesn't change reality.  His version of reality is these QBs aren't hitting the market and on the wild off chance they do a zillion teams want a QB this off season and he'd bet on them over us to land the QB.  And while the Commanders fans see Jimmy G as a punchline.  If he asks personnel guys around the league about him, they all agree he's a significant upgrade over Heinicke so all these fans who trash the idea, they are likely off, and may come around to realize that a Jimmy G trade would be something to embrace versus trash considering the meager QB market.   And having said that other teams see Jimmy G the same way, so we'd be lucky to even get him. 

I get the point.   I do agree Jimmy G >>> Heinicke.  But i am not going to be talked into him.   I wouldn't hate it if it was a third round pick or lower.

Sheehan asked Standig right now who does he think will be in the QB room.   His picks were Trubisky-Willis.  Sheehan picked Mariota-Willis.

For me, I would like Sheehan's combination. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Standig so its not a shot at him but lol he's the biggest curmudgeon when it comes to the QBs this off season.  His themes are more or less:

Rivera is desperate and indeed is shooting for the fences but who cares?  Him wanting a QB doesn't change reality.  His version of reality is these QBs aren't hitting the market and on the wild off chance they do a zillion teams want a QB this off season and he'd bet on them over us to land the QB.  And while the Commanders fans see Jimmy G as a punchline.  If he asks personnel guys around the league about him, they all agree he's a significant upgrade over Heinicke so all these fans who trash the idea, they are likely off, and may come around to realize that a Jimmy G trade would be something to embrace versus trash considering the meager QB market.   And having said that other teams see Jimmy G the same way, so we'd be lucky to even get him. 

I get the point.   I do agree Jimmy G >>> Heinicke.  But i am not going to be talked into him.   I wouldn't hate it if it was a third round pick or lower.

Sheehan asked Standig right now who does he think will be in the QB room.   His picks were Trubisky-Willis.  Sheehan picked Mariota-Willis.

For me, I would like Sheehan's combination. 

Only a couple of posters can argue against Jimmy G>TH 

I am of the belief they trade for someone prior to the FA. However, if you can have your pick of the others, why not wait. I am not thinking they want to, they wnt to know who they have one locked up, even if Wentz 🙄

If they fall in love with WIllis, they would need to move up to get him. I know they have stated none of the prospects is worthy of that, hope they stick with that. My belief is they look hard at Willis, Corral and Ridder

29 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I really would take a chance on Wentz over Jimmy G. Rivera should be able to straighten his perceived character issues out. Surely the incentive of being back in the division would be motivation enough. 

Get Wentz, still have our premier draft picks. I’ll go with that over many other alternatives.

• Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Only a couple of posters can argue against Jimmy G>TH 

I am of the belief they trade for someone prior to the FA. However, if you can have your pick of the others, why not wait. I am not thinking they want to, they wnt to know who they have one locked up, even if Wentz 🙄

If they fall in love with WIllis, they would need to move up to get him. I know they have stated none of the prospects is worthy of that, hope they stick with that. My belief is they look hard at Willis, Corral and Ridder

They haven't stated what they intend to do in the draft as for trading up or down.  Judging though by what Keim is hearing I get the impression that they might trade down but unlikely will trade up.  Judging purely by Standig and Keim, post Senior Bowl, interest seems to exist now for Willis which didn't seem to be there pre Senior Bowl.  And clearly Pickett.  Keim has been consistent about them liking Pickett.  The other consistent thing has been from Keim -- if in the 2nd round, Ridder or Strong if they are still there.

As far as Corral, not much chatter one way or another.  I am gathering that will change as for having some idea post Combine when they can finally interview him. 

No one has said this outright but I get the impression that right now they might be just offering deals to teams and hoping those teams come to the conclusion to trade said players.

Edited by Skinsinparadise