Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

35 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So the only way you'd spend 3 1st rounders on a HoF QB is if you were somehow guaranteed 3 consecutive Lombardi trophies? At least you're easy to please.

And sure, your option sounds nice in theory but in practice it has some issues.

First is that if you get Jimmy G you're almost guaranteed to also be paying him a hefty contract, and generally if you give a guy a huge contract he's going to be your guy until he proves conclusively that he's not (or his contract runs out). That means that if we spent a 2nd round pick and a big league 3-4 year contract on Jimmy G, we're probably not going to turn around and invest a ton of draft capital in a rookie.

Another issue is that with Jimmy G we'd probably win a couple more games, which would take us out of "bad team" territory and level us up into "mediocre team" territory. So we'd be a middling 9-8 sort of team and would be picking way too low to be able to snag any of the top QB prospects (but not nearly good enough to be a SB contender). So we'd probably have to get super lucky and hit on a guy who dropped and probably isn't as heralded and/or is pretty raw.

That or we'd have to give up a bunch of 1st round picks + more to move up into the top 10 or top 5 for a QB we want. But then your "I don't want to mortage the future" thing goes out the window. Because you're basically saying "I don't want to mortgage the future...until I do."

I get that you want to have your cake and eat it too...but it just hardly ever actually happens that way. The only thing comparable would be KC having Alex Smith and then moving up or Mahomes. 

no, I wouldn't invest a ton of capital in a rookie.  I'd invest one pick in 2023 or 2024, the second or third year  of Garapollo's (or whoevers) contract, let him sit one year if it's 2023 and compete for the job in 24 or let him compete as a rookie

And we're a mediocre team, not a bad one.  We're one or two games away from .500 with massive injuries and COVID spikes.  Bad teams are four to seven games away from .500

and as for being easy to please?  There are two options there, you know.  Sure, three straight championships is hard.  But not trading three first rounders for one old player is damn easy

Edited by MrJL

8 minutes ago, MrJL said:

no, I wouldn't invest a ton of capital in a rookie.  I'd invest one pick in 2023 or 2024, the second or third year  of Garapollo's (or whoevers) contract, let him sit one year if it's 2023 and compete for the job in 24 or let him compete as a rookie

And we're a mediocre team, not a bad one.  We're one or two games away from .500 with massive injuries and COVID spikes.  Bad teams are four to seven games away from .500

and as for being easy to please?  There are two options there, you know.  Sure, three straight championships is hard.  But not trading three first rounders for one old player is damn easy

If you're not going to invest a ton in a rookie then you're going to have to settle for hoping to luck into a guy who's draft stock fell for one reason or another because if we end up as a 10 win team we're going to be picking pretty late in the 1st. 

So out of these 2 options, which would you rather have over a 3 year period:

3 1st round picks traded for a HoF vet QB + 1 Lombardi trophy

3 1st round picks used on other positions and a mediocre vet QB + 0 Lombardi trophies?

With either one you're likely to have to start over again after 3-4 years anyway. I'd take the Lombardi.

Yes, in an ideal world you'd never have to move up for a QB and would be able to pick an elite stud wherever you are in the draft. But that's mostly make believe land at that point.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

If you're not going to invest a ton in a rookie then you're going to have to settle for hoping to luck into a guy who's draft stock fell for one reason or another because if we end up as a 10 win team we're going to be picking pretty late in the 1st. 

So out of these 2 options, which would you rather have over a 3 year period:

3 1st round picks traded for a HoF vet QB + 1 Lombardi trophy

3 1st round picks used on other positions and a mediocre vet QB + 0 Lombardi trophies?

With either one you're likely to have to start over again after 3-4 years anyway. I'd take the Lombardi.

honestly don't believe we'd get it if we trade for them.

Doing it any way but the hardest way possible won't accomplish anything.

We trade the farm for a rookie he'll be RG3ed. We trade it for a vet he'll get Alex Smithed

You guys are so worried about giving up three 1st round picks for an elite starter QB?? why??

Lets look at our draft history for the last three 1st rd picks..

21 - Jarmin Davis - looking like a bust for his draft value so far

20 - Chaise Young - average so far

19 - Haskins - bust

I would trade all three players for Rogers, Wilson .. hell even Carr in a second!

Edited by oraphus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

9 minutes ago, oraphus said:

You guys are so worried about giving up three 1st round picks for an elite starter QB?? why??

Lets look at our draft history for the last three 1st rd picks..

21 - Jarmin Davis - looking like a bust for his draft value so far

20 - Chaise Young - average so far

19 - Haskins - bust

I would trade all three players for Rogers, Wilson .. hell even Carr in a second!

Sweat was also a first rounder, Chase Young was DROY, I don't call first rounders a bust after one year unless there was some sort of disaster with them, like them being cut or buried on the bottom of the bench

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And for those here who say it fazes them, I really doubt it will but if on the wild chance it went down -- I think the shock value would be insane that whomever had a reservation about it would get over it. 

Yeah,  I feel like all the people concerned about giving up a bunch to land Rodgers are just coping with the fact that we most likely won’t land him.

If for some insane reason we ended up with Aaron Rodgers, the last thing I’m concerned about is what it took to get him.  The only thing I’d be worried about is what type of champagne I was popping.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Sweat was also a first rounder, Chase Young was DROY, I don't call first rounders a bust after one year unless there was some sort of disaster with them, like them being cut or buried on the bottom of the bench

Which of these would you take?

Dwayne Haskins, Chase Young and Jamin Davis

or

Aaron Rodgers

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah,  I feel like all the people concerned about giving up a bunch to land Rodgers are just coping with the fact that we most likely won’t land him.

If for some insane reason we ended up with Aaron Rodgers, the last thing I’m concerned about is what it took to get him.  The only thing I’d be worried about is what type of champagne I was popping.

Yeah it would feel crazy.  It would be like my nerdiest friend from college who couldn't get a date to save his life, come visit me where he introduces his super model girlfriend.  My jaw would drop from being astonished.

I can't relate to those people who would pass on something like this or be picky about it considering what we've endured.    Our history at QB is almost as comical as the culture here set by our buffoon owner and previous GMs.  A lot of angst is put on Rivera as to this issue as if its kind of a novel development -- but Rivera is just the latest steward who has inherited about 30 years of angst from the fan base about the QB spot.

I don't expect someone like Rodgers or even Wilson.  But on the wildest off chance it happened, it would be the most stunning development for me as a fan of this team since Dan has run it outside of them bringing back Gibbs. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

or

Aaron Rodgers

I'd take the first three cause I hate the way people re talking about Chase and I think Rodgers career would end much sooner than expected if he came here.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah it would feel crazy.  It would be like my nerdiest friend from college who couldn't get a date to save his life, come visit me where he introduces his super model girlfriend.  My jaw would drop from being astonished.

I can't relate to those people who would pass on something like this or be picky about it considering what we've endured.    Our history at QB is almost as comical as the culture here set by our buffoon owner and previous GMs.  A lot of angst is put on Rivera as to this issue as if its kind of a novel development -- but Rivera is just the latest steward who has inherited about 30 years of angst from the fan base about the QB spot.

I don't expect someone like Rodgers or even Wilson.  But on the wildest off chance it happened, it would be the most stunning development for me as a fan of this team since Dan has run it outside of them bringing back Gibbs. 

One playoff win since 2020...how embarrassing. 

Heard something today where the Rams haven't or won't have a 1st round pick for 8 straight years cause they traded them for players like Stafford, Ramsey and others. They then cited that's how the Redskins did things back in their glory years????? I remember those days. Maybe this is the way to do things???? Certainly has worked for the Rams. 

4 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I'd take the first three cause I hate the way people re talking about Chase and I think Rodgers career would end much sooner than expected if he came here.

I find that kind of nutty because I think if Rodgers came here we'd be an instant Super Bowl contender and having Haskins, Chase, and Davis isn't going to do anything like that.

I don't think there are any 3 non-QB players you could add to a team that would bring them closer to being contenders than adding an elite QB.

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Heard something today where the Rams haven't or won't have a 1st round pick for 8 straight years cause they traded them for players like Stafford, Ramsey and others. They then cited that's how the Redskins did things back in their glory years????? I remember those days. Maybe this is the way to do things???? Certainly has worked for the Rams. 

It didn't work for the Rams until they got a top QB. IMO the Rams prove the point. Most huge moves are meaningless if you don't have a good QB.

Edited by mistertim

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Oh I agree.  But the chances are super slim.  I think we all know that.  Reality is hoping for the best FA QB option (Winston, Mariota) but probably Trubisky because we tried trading for him last year and I'm guessing Turner/RR/F.O. see something in him and Pickett or maybe Willis.  I do like Corral a lot though if Pickett is drafted before we have a chance to draft him.  One thing though.  If Pickett refuses to get his hands measured at the Combine and not take part in certain tests that F.O.s and coaching staffs want him to take part in, then I'm all in for Corral.  

15 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Not true.  They next 1st round pick is in 2024 per this anyway:  Los Angeles Rams Future Draft Pick Status (prosportstransactions.com)

Edited by RWJ

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I find that kind of nutty because I think if Rodgers came here we'd be an instant Super Bowl contender and having Haskins, Chase, and Davis isn't going to do anything like that.

I am being sincere when I say I do not believe he would play enough games to make us a Super Bowl contender

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I am being sincere when I say I do not believe he would play enough games to make us a Super Bowl contender

Cool. And I’d hate if we traded for Mahomes because I truly think he’d be murdered by lightning. Herbert, struck down by a heart attack. Josh Allen, crippling case of neurosyphilis. 

What is the point of engaging in a discussion if you’re just gonna make **** up for the sake of a worst case scenario to argue against? It’s like a dumber version of a straw man. 

• Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

Cool. And I’d hate if we traded for Mahomes because I truly think he’d be murdered by lightning. Herbert, struck down by a heart attack. Josh Allen, crippling case of neurosyphilis. 

What is the point of engaging in a discussion if you’re just gonna make **** up for the sake of a worst case scenario to argue against? It’s like a dumber version of a straw man. 

He could have just meant Rodgers would retire, not that his legs would fall off lol...

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, mistertim said:

or

Aaron Rodgers

yeah, but look at the last two aged vet QBs we brought here--one almost died after breaking his leg and the other threw six passes then dislocated his hip. Maybe we shouldn't go down that road again lol...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Conn said:

people talk about how many QBs we've had over the years.  Losing them to injury is not a rare occurence for us

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

Chase Young was in one of the weakest defensive classes I've ever seen. He would not have been close to DPOY had he come out in 2021. People need to be honest in their evaluations with him and not let the hype blind them from reality. He hasn't been nearly as good as I've hoped he was and I think there are quite a few other fans who are also somewhat disappointed with his production. It's crazy to pass up on Aaron Rodgers for a DE, let alone one that doesn't really produce many pressures and sacks. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Thumb down 1

48 minutes ago, MrJL said:

people talk about how many QBs we've had over the years.  Losing them to injury is not a rare occurence for us

So why ever get a good QB again? Why even field a team? Freak injuries aren’t connected to each other, this is bordering on superstition