Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Wentz would be an okay option. He's in the same boat IMO as Trubisky, Winston or Mariota. Maybe even Jimmy G. Enough experience and pedigree to keep us in the Wildcard hunt, but none of those guys is the long-term answer IMO. Of course there's always the opportunity that they break back out in our system and we find an answer that way, but all of those QBs should be:

A. Paired with a 2022 rookie who could be groomed to take over in a pinch

B. Paired with a trade back from #11 that accumulates picks in 2023 in the event we want to get aggressive with a rookie next year.

I have a hard time seeing a scenario where any of those guys are brought in and we are done at QB in 2022 (or 2023). Obviously there's an element of kicking the can down the road should we opt to not draft a QB this year, but I would hope that strategy would be paired with accumulating assets in 2023 draft to get aggressive.

The worst case scenario IMO is getting one of those guys in house and then spending all of our picks on a non-QB or failing to accumulate capital for 2023.

You have to have a long-term plan beyond those guys. I know there's risk to trading back from #11 and getting 2023 assets and not getting a rookie in-house. But at least we can fall back on having multiple 1's or 2's in 2023 to get aggressive if the veteran is "okay" and simply gets us to 10 wins with an average-ish season.

I would have higher hopes for the 2022 season with Wentz in the fold. I think he could bounce back and have a Tannehill-like season in which we ride our defense and running games and a 4,000 yard 22 TD type season to a playoff run, but that just gets us stuck in that "Raiders-Titans" type of cycle where we are good enough to get to the playoffs but don't have any real shot at a Super Bowl.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Wentz would be an okay option. He's in the same boat IMO as Trubisky, Winston or Mariota. Maybe even Jimmy G. Enough experience and pedigree to keep us in the Wildcard hunt, but none of those guys is the long-term answer

I think Wentz is a notch better than those. He’s just high maintenance by the looks of it. I do like Winston but the timing of his rehab is an added risk. Takes him off the table for us I’d say.

• Like 1

Now, is there a chance Wentz comes in, stays healthy, and has an MVP-caliber season where he throws for 4,000 yards, 30 TDs, and we go 12-5 and make it to the NFC title game? Absolutely. And that would be a great scenario. But it is not a scenario to lean heavily on without insurance policies in place heading into 2022 (rookie QB or 2023 assets).

I just want to avoid a situation in which we give up early draft picks AND loads of cap space for a QB not named Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

I've never been a fan of bringing Watson in here because it just seems this will never be resolved.  The explanation here is there are so many women that want so many different settlement outcomes and they can't get them all on the same page to settle.

I wonder if that's not just a smart legal strategy on their part, and maybe even a little payback for what happened to them.

Under normal

circumstances the defendant would have every reason in the world to drag this out, this defendant needs this settled as quickly as humanly possible because he can't play for the team he's currently on and can't realistically be traded until this is settled. 

Sounds to me like they have most of the leverage and they're using it.

• Like 1

Wilson and Watson are elite-level QBs that can carry a team to a Super Bowl with reduced assets and cap space in the future to load up the team around him.

Wentz, Jimmy G, etc. are all options that COULD get us there if the team as a whole is built up around them. Those two can be part of the equation because presumably they wouldn't require substantial draft assets. But again, we've seen these types of QBs carry their teams far into the playoffs, but I think this fanbase is yearning for more.

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I wonder if that's not just a smart legal strategy on their part, and maybe even a little payback for what happened to them.

Under normal

circumstances the defendant would have every reason in the world to drag this out, this defendant needs this settled as quickly as humanly possible because he can't play for the team he's currently on and can't realistically be traded until this is settled. 

Sounds to me like they have most of the leverage and they're using it.

There's certainly a scenario in which the Watson issues drag well into the off-season and he doesn't get dealt as a result. In that case, we could still execute an off-season strategy that allows for us to target Watson at a later date. I just don't know what the scenario would ultimately be. You'd have to totally strike out on the veteran trade and QBs in the draft to be one of the remaining options in the Watson sweepstakes post-draft, and I think we all know that's an unlikely situation given the drive this front office has to get an answer at QB. Waiting on Watson later in the off-season is unlikely to be in the cards.

Browns are in an interesting position with Mayfield and Landry (their two most expensive salaries) both in the last years of their deals, and having Burrow (and Lamar Jackson) in their division.  Browns don’t seem certain Mayfield is their guy.

Considering Clowney and McKinley were both 1 year deals last year, they could really use a rusher opposite Garrett.  

Lots of moving parts in terms of extensions, but I’d consider an offer of our 2022 and 2023 1sts, plus Sweat for Mayfield and Landry.  Our offense takes a big leap, and the Browns would have a top notch rush pair, as well as lots of cap space and 4 1st rounders over the next 2 drafts to find a qb and add pieces.  They also have Case Keenum under contract to serve as a stopgap for this year (or they could go all out and offer all 4 1st rounders for Wilson).  Win-win for both teams IMO.

Just now, Hitman#21 said:

Team stood behind sweat, your assumptions are wrong. 

They did? You know that how? Ron called him an asshole in public. We tried to trade a dominant player last year and possibly during the season. We don't have many valuable players outside of a pass rusher.

We have routinely placed value on character in the roster. Wentz blows on that front, regardless of his ability. Indy traded a 1rst + for him just last year. His entire FO thinks he's a loser of a person. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb down 1

Keim latest podcast today. 

A.  He doesn't think Jimmy G would cost a first rounder.  Carolina can't give Jimmy G a nice contract because they are stuck with Darnold's 18 million plus on the cap

B.  They have many targets are Qbs, Jimmy G isn't plan A.   But if they fail elsewhere they'd be interested in him but they won't break the bank for him

C.  He does think there is still fighting chance Carr could get traded because of the c

D.  He believes they would be interested in Watson if the charges are dropped.  He doubled down that they'd need to talk him into coming here, in the past it was a no from Watson as far as coming here

E.  Wilson is a target.  But doubled down Seattle needs a QB.  He mentioned if Seattle loads up on picks maybe they could trade for Watson 

F.  They wouldn't see Jimmy G as a long term solution.  He knows the Steelers are in the mix for Jimmy G. 

G.  They would take Pickett at 11 if he fell there.  Why?  Experience-maturity.  

H.  I've been waiting for Keim to bring something new if anything post Senior Bowl to see if anything changed.  Finally.  So here is something new, he says "Malik Willis is intriguing as well."  he then also said a few minutes later "he's intriguing to say the least."  He goes they know they have to pair him with a stop gap. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim latest podcast today. 

A.  He doesn't think Jimmy G would cost a first rounder.  Carolina can't give Jimmy G a nice contract because they are stuck with Darnold's 18 million plus on the cap

B.  They have many targets are Qbs, Jimmy G isn't plan A.   But if they fail elsewhere they'd be interested in him but they won't break the bank for him

C.  He does think there is still fighting chance Carr could get traded because of the c

D.  He believes they would be interested in Watson if the charges are dropped.  He doubled down that they'd need to talk him into coming here, in the past it was a no from Watson as far as coming here

E.  Wilson is a target.  But doubled down Seattle needs a QB.  He mentioned if Seattle loads up on picks maybe they could trade for Watson 

F.  They wouldn't see Jimmy G as a long term solution.  He knows the Steelers are in the mix for Jimmy G. 

G.  They would take Pickett at 11 if he fell there.  Why?  Experience-maturity.  

H.  I've been waiting for Keim to bring something new if anything post Senior Bowl to see if anything changed.  Finally.  So here is something new, he says "Malik Willis is intriguing as well."  he then also said a few minutes later "he's intriguing to say the least."  He goes they know they have to pair him with a stop gap. 

So, Pickett or Willis at 11? If they drop?

Wentz Jimmy G MM Trubs are all the exact same to me. All of them are just a temporary if necessary bridge to the QB we draft round 1. I have major issues with Ron and Co think of those guys as anything else

Edited by Zim489

7 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Wentz Jimmy G MM Trubs are all the exact same to me. All of them are just a temporary if necessary bridge to the QB we draft round 1. I have major issues with Ron and Co think of those guys as anything else

Well good news then for you is if Keim is right, Ron absolutely sees them as a bridge. 

7 minutes ago, shemp nixon said:

So, Pickett or Willis at 11? If they drop?

He's talked about Pickett if he drops to 11 multiple times in different podcasts.  As for Willis this is new.  The only mention in the past is they wouldn't take him at 11.  That was pre Senior Bowl.  This time he talked about them being "very intrigued" but he didn't extend that point as to where they'd take him.  But that is certainly a different vibe about Willis compared to the past. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Crazy but I could see this happening if Denver doesn't land a top tier QB like Rodgers, given Carolina has a problem with their QB cap (Darnold) and supply/deman by teams to land a QB.

https://www.nfl.com/news/three-round-2022-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-five-trades-five-qbs-selected-in-round-1

#3 Malik Willis - Carolina (trade with Texans)

#9 Kenny Pickett - Denver

#10 Sam Howell - Pittsburgh (trade with Jets)

#11 Matt Corral - Washington

#32 Desmond Ridder - Detroit

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Wentz is far better as a QB than the other FA. But his attitude is the major issue.

Agreed. That’s the balance we need to find. Getting him for ‘nothing’ in a trade sense or as a FA if cut, and adding a rookie is a pretty good outcome in my opinion. Rivera gets paid to sort poor attitudes out. I think Wentz would welcome a return to the division....

Im not banging the drum for Wentz, but there are far worse options.

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There is no way five QBs get taken in the 1st round this year. That's how many went in round 1 last year and that was considered a stacked class.

I think at most you'll see three go in the 1st: Pickett, Willis, and Corral. Not sure what the order would be.

It shouldn't happen but this is it in a nutshell.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2022-nfl-draft-pre-combine-mock-lands-4-q-bs-in-round-1-215037370.html

You've heard the narrative: The 2022 NFL draft is not a strong quarterback class.

But we're here to tell you that even if that is true, it might not matter. Teams need quarterbacks. A lot of teams.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mistertim said:

And such a high maintenance jackass cancer that the Colts are already trying to get rid of him. Combine that with his implosion at the end of the season when everything was on the line and it's a hard pass.

The league is full of high maintenance jackass players. And a lot of them win Super Bowls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1