Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

We should have upped our offer for Stafford last year. That’s probably going to wind up having been our best shot at a franchise QB. And instead we got Jamin Davis and Dyami Brown. Jesus. Huge error. Sometimes you just have to go for it with these QB’s. 

If a big time QB is available this off-season we should just overpay and be grateful for the opportunity to overpay. 

To me this is true and my feeling is this is driving their thought process to some extent as to this off season.  I don't think though even with a stronger offer they'd have landed Stafford last year considering what learned went down but i think they regret not pushing it harder especially watching Stafford potentially going to the SB in 2 weeks. 

1 hour ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Unfortunately, 

Unfortunately, because of this I think they will force a Jimmy g or something  of this type

I hope they don't force anything. Fix the D with a few players and keep the coaching consistency. Get a bad ass BIG BACK and prioritize the running game (which we are pretty good at) and *try* and get a Vet QB without breaking the bank (hell..I'd try Fitz again before I paid a ransom in 1st round picks). I'd we willing to watch and root next year IF we don't keep jumping the shark and stick with a plan. Develop a QB with the tools from the draft and *hope* we can coach em up. Next year..if we aren't better..start trading players and get draft capital and keep the team young until we find the QB we want.

I'm in no hurry if I understand we're following a good plan. If the QB isn't there this draft..pass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get the angst if they don't pull it off this year.

But if Dan fires Ron who is one of the most liked coaches in the NFL -- even though he's coaching for dumpster fire organziation -- owner, stadium, facilities, etc -- good luck attracting the next coach.  Whomever that would be it would be name that either has been reject type, Herm Edwards type or name that coordinator who isn't hot in demand.

This place is already arguably the Siberia of the NFL.  Dan fired Ron before his contract is up, we'd be doubling down on Siberia 

Remember a few years ago when Cleveland was looking for a coach and no one wanted that job. People were turning down interviews for the job. If we fired Ron it would be worse then that for us. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

Remember a few years ago when Cleveland was looking for a coach and no one wanted that job. People were turning down interviews for the job. If we fired Ron it would be worse then that for us. 

No doubt.  I recall 10 plus years ago Spags turned down this job and decided to stay in NY.  We ended up with Zorn.  And things are much worse now than then.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

We should have upped our offer for Stafford last year. That’s probably going to wind up having been our best shot at a franchise QB. And instead we got Jamin Davis and Dyami Brown. Jesus. Huge error. Sometimes you just have to go for it with these QB’s. 

If a big time QB is available this off-season we should just overpay and be grateful for the opportunity to overpay. 

We should have treated 2020 as a rebuilding year, accumulated draft capitol and been in position to draft a QB last year. Instead, Ron went for a 7-9 season and took himself out of that market. 

For all the people who think criticism of Ron is over "lack of patience" it would have been great if Ron showed some himself that year. Because that was his shot to build a contender.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

I hope they don't force anything. Fix the D with a few players and keep the coaching consistency. Get a bad ass BIG BACK and prioritize the running game (which we are pretty good at) and *try* and get a Vet QB without breaking the bank (hell..I'd try Fitz again before I paid a ransom in 1st round picks). I'd we willing to watch and root next year IF we don't keep jumping the shark and stick with a plan. Develop a QB with the tools from the draft and *hope* we can coach em up. Next year..if we aren't better..start trading players and get draft capital and keep the team young until we find the QB we want.

I'm in no hurry if I understand we're following a good plan. If the QB isn't there this draft..pass.

1985 called and wants its NFL back. 

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No doubt.  I recall 10 plus years ago Spags turned down this job and decided to stay in NY.  We ended up with Zorn.  And things are much worse now than then.

So what you do is make it wanted for a GM spot. You start flipping for draft capital

18 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

We should have treated 2020 as a rebuilding year, accumulated draft capitol and been in position to draft a QB last year. Instead, Ron went for a 7-9 season and took himself out of that market. 

For all the people who think criticism of Ron is over "lack of patience" it would have been great if Ron showed some himself that year. Because that was his shot to build a contender.

1000% agree. Taking chase isnt bad. Maybe the better move was to trade back and take one of the tackles and accumulate picks especially if you had a 2021 pick involved. Trade off Scherff. Cut Alex. Trade Kerrigan. Maybe dont sign Fuller and Darby. Trade Payne. That Roster is going 2-14. Were drafting top 3 at worse. This year were drafting top 5 again probably with our QB in place and no clear draft pick for us. A prime place to be trading bac to accumulate even more. We're looking at 75 mil in cap space in 2021. 100 mil this year. This roster would be so much further ahead with a much more clear.

Ron as well as any other coach went for the always coach focused "win the next game". The clear path was right there. Especially when in January of 2020 that the 2021 QB class was going to be good with 2 top 3 at worst QBs lined up in Fields and Lawrence. The team would have the QB in place. Younger overall. No bad contracts like the Scherff and Collins deals. Lots of draft picks. Some one with vision in a FO could have forseen what could have been. But gotta win every game you can bites us in the ass. And becuase of the known in 2021 QB draft class of 2022 Rons tenure is likely fried by mistakes made before his team even stepped onto the field in 2020. 

Its the consistent single year approach that hurts this team time after time. They never look forward because they always have a coach leading it all who cant make short term step back because it looks bad to "purposefully" lose games. Its why your HC should never be head of an organization. A GM's goal is to win SBs. A HC goal is to win the next game.

Edited by Zim489
  • Thumb down 1

2 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Damn. I think his retirement is injury related...

...carrying Arians to a Super Bowl must have really damaged Brady's back.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Would be nice to have Fields right now. 

....not if you saw him play this season. Woof.

19 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Damn. I think his retirement is injury related...

...carrying Arians to a Super Bowl must have really damaged Brady's back.

....not if you saw him play this season. Woof.

I saw him play quite a bit. He looked like a rookie QB for a lame duck head coach.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

So how do we entice a good QB here, Money? Will we need to tap into an ego that somehow thinks it’s cool to be the face of the ‘new era’ ?

Or is it left to a poor old rookie to get landed with the job ?

You never really know how guys will look at the situation. Maybe Wilson wants to come back to the area. Maybe someone likes Rivera enough to come.

If it were me and I had any say over where I went, I would want no part of this crap show organization. 

21 hours ago, KDawg said:

11-6 at... worst? I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Look around the league....QB's are dropping like flies now. Don't be surprised if TH isn't one of the better ones left when the dust settles! There's a serious shortage of NFL QB's and we have a bargain....

These borderline 1st round QB's and their agents have to be loving how things are playing out with the QB shortage. No doubt their draft stocks are rising. 

In fact, it wouldn't suprise me if guys like Kyle Allen, Trubisky, Marriotta, Huntley, Minshew and Heinicke all benefit from the QB shortage in the league. 

• Thumb down 1

24 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Look around the league....QB's are dropping like flies now. Don't be surprised if TH isn't one of the better ones left when the dust settles! There's a serious shortage of NFL QB's and we have a bargain....

These borderline 1st round QB's and their agents have to be loving how things are playing out with the QB shortage. No doubt their draft stocks are rising. 

In fact, it wouldn't suprise me if guys like Kyle Allen, Trubisky, Marriotta, Huntley, Minshew and Heinicke all benefit from the QB shortage in the league. 

I think we should go Trubisky or Winston if we can't get a big time vet.  The price for Jimmy G  is going to be inflated now.

The NFC is  going to be weak next year we should be in top seven nfc teams next year with just a little better Defense and Offence. This year we could have beaten anyone or lost to anyone.

Either of these two QB would give us a chance to win each week next season.

Both of these players may be difficult to get.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Unless Tampa go from Brady to Trask :ols:

My God Rivera must be reflecting on going conservative in his QB hunt last year. This offseason is brutal.

He does; he might as well pack his bags. Dan should fire him after the draft; if he hasn’t gone aggressive. Draft is probably the only place ; we can realistically be aggressive.

2 hours ago, MrJL said:

the last time we gave a non-interim coach less than four years was with Zorn.  We're really going to change that with a cancer surviving, division winning coach who has been to a Super Bowl?

What?  Ron took us to the super bowl?

He’s a coach with a losing record.  14-19 and 0-1 playoff record. Yes, he has one division title.

That’s it. His record with Carolina has nothing to do with his record on Washington.

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Stafford wasn’t coming here; no matter what we offered. He wanted to go to LA .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

What?  Ron took us to the super bowl?

He’s a coach with a losing record.  14-19 and 0-1 playoff record. Yes, he has one division title.

That’s it. His record with Carolina has nothing to do with his record on Washington.

ron atm is one of the only stable things about the organization. Hell probably retire or we will get a new owner or stadium before hes fired. not saying thats a good thing. just saying hes the only thing the org can point to atm and say " hes a good guy! "

Edited by dunfer

So I think everyone except for 2 posters is in agreement TH will not play meaningful snaps this year.  Aron literally laughed at the idea of having Taylor start.  I made a bet when it was obvious Jay was not the guy he would never win 10 games as a HC.  One poster took me up for it.  I’ve made my reservations for Morton’s on Jan 1, 2028. 

Im willing to take a steak dinner bet from anyone (up to 5 betters) that TH does not start a single game for Washington this year absent injury forcing him to start.  He will not be the short or long term plan. I would double down that TH will NEVER get a start that isn’t driven by injury.  This year would count.  If Fitz hasn’t gotten hurt, he would never have started a game.

Anyway, this Tom Brady thing is just not helpful.  

I think we end up with Mitch and Willis.  That’s my bet right now.  

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I saw him play quite a bit. He looked like a rookie QB for a lame duck head coach.

Had some good ups and some bad downs. Not giving up on him 

8 minutes ago, dunfer said:

ron atm is one of the only stable things about the organization. Hell probably retire or we will get a new owner or stadium before hes fired. not saying thats a good thing. just saying hes the only thing the org can point to atm and say " hes a good guy! "

And Ron gets fired if he fails this QB search. 

31 minutes ago, dunfer said:

I dont think any of the better qbs are moving anywhere including jimmy G in that better category. FA is going to be picking the corn out of other teams turds. Doesnt seem the draft is going to be that much better

Yep....it's gonna be slim pickins for sure. I wouldn't mind making a play for Huntley from the Ravens....

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So I think everyone except for 2 posters is in agreement TH will not play meaningful snaps this year.  Aron literally laughed at the idea of having Taylor start.  I made a bet when it was obvious Jay was not the guy he would never win 10 games as a HC.  One poster took me up for it.  I’ve made my reservations for Morton’s on Jan 1, 2028. 

Im willing to take a steak dinner bet from anyone (up to 5 betters) that TH does not start a single game for Washington this year absent injury forcing him to start.  He will not be the short or long term plan. I would double down that TH will NEVER get a start that isn’t driven by injury.  This year would count.  If Fitz hasn’t gotten hurt, he would never have started a game.

Anyway, this Tom Brady thing is just not helpful.  

I think we end up with Mitch and Willis.  That’s my bet right now.  

The business angle to the QB spot seems to a real factor—I hope it’s not a driving force, but get it on some level. Putting the puzzle pieces together, it certainly seems they’re all in (desperate) on getting a “known” veteran.

I don’t see the better organizations depleting their draft and financial resources to acquire a veteran, putting Washington in a prime spot to land one if made available. Wish it was a Brady, Manning, or Favre type situation and Rodgers/Wilson could be had in free agency. Wonder if Rodgers or Wilson force a fair deal if they decide to leave.