Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

These guys are supposedly obssessed with every aspect of their personalities.  Sounds like maybe too obsessed.   He mentioned stuff like some players are so obssessed with video games that they play into the wee hours of the night and don't get sleep.  How do they treat people in the cafeteria.  Are they pain in the butts when it comes to asking for tickets for their friends at their games and whine if the seats aren't good.  On and on and on.

And this can be a double edged sword too… while I totally agree w/character traits etc if you stick around someone or dive deep enough there is always something about us someone else might not agree with… no matter 1’s belief system I think we can all agree we are are flawed and imperfect people… playing video games into the wee hours of the night or not saying more then a simple hello to someone does not register as a character trait to me… and to be honest having a parent who is over board and says and does things also isn’t a character trait that should be labeled on the player himself…. Bad parents can have great kids and vice versa….

At the end of the day, as long as they are productive people in society don’t have legal issues etc and have good character traits and will they help make the Commanders better should be the the most important decision come Thursday night 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Panninho said:

No one doubts that. But Spielman was in the room when they hired Peters and the QB position came up 100%. Because we haven't solved that in forever, so they definitely asked him what his approach is there. Basically a "how are you going to fix this?".

And Spielman sat in and heard that answer. So he knows at least how GMAP approaches this position and what he values. So his best guess might be better than another person's best guess. This is why some people feel like his quote might have some weight.

I should have phrased it better. Rick's certainly one of the better GM's out there in terms of talent evaluation and it just shows how hard it is to pick a QB as opposed to other positions. It is an entirely different animal. 

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I don't want to even say McCarthy in the top five is Mac Jones at 3 all over again

I am not big on McCarthy. Have made that clear in this thread for months. But to be fair to him Mac Jones couldnt dream of throwing a ball like McCarthy does. Their arms are lightyears apart. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, jg77 said:

It's probably nothing but Tress Way jersey is 50% off right now. He's #5. 

Jayden wore 5 at ASU and LSU

They got any Cheesman's left?  Been looking for a few months....

• Haha 2

First, I don’t care who we select. I’ll support him regardless and be happy on draft night if we secure any of the top 4 picks.

I’ve listened to Keim and I know a lot of people seem to doubt that he has any inside sources with the new regime, and there are good reasons to question whether he does or not. I get that.

However, what hasn’t changed with the new regime is my assessment of Keim’s journalistic integrity and his character. He has never been one for promoting unfounded rumor, speculation, or guesswork. When he reports something you can rely on the fact that he has legitimate reasons for doing so.

In short, he is a man who values ethics. I respect that.

After listening to a few of his most recent podcasts, it is clear to me that even though he is not claiming he has information from a source within the Commanders hierarchy, he is doing more than merely reporting what people outside the organization think.

There’s a legitimate reason why Keim is now strongly suggesting that McCarthy, rather than Maye, is the top candidate, along with Daniels, to be our new signal caller. My gut tells me that it’s not because he’s hearing things from league sources. I think he’s protecting someone inside our camp. No proof beyond my judgement of Keim, and my trust that he wouldn’t be so demonstrative absent good reason. 

That said, I’m going on the record with my current opinion of the probability of who we will select if we keep the second overall pick on Thursday:

Daniels- 65% chance of selecting

McCarthy- 30% chance of selecting

Maye- 5% chance of selecting (I think he’s essentially no longer in the running)

Penix- 0% chance of selecting, unless we trade back in the draft

Again, I have no skin in this game anymore. I’ll be satisfied with any of them, but this is where I stand today. I know this will not be a popular position, but fwiw it’s what I believe.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I think he'll ultimately end up going #2. There is just way too much smoke and its hard for me to imagine a world where seemingly the entire league(or a big majority)like a guy and we like someone else completely different. 

I'm trying to talk myself into being happy about it and I can certainly see some of the positives, but too much of his game is a fugaze to me. Complete smoke and mirrors. And I'm afraid this pick will ultimately end up derailing Quinn's career(I could see Peters surviving if he does a good job building the rest of the roster, and throwing Quinn under the bus for the QB pick in 3-4 years or so).

I'm trying to talk myself into being ok with Daniels as well. Obviously I 100% hope I'm wrong on this (because it means we'll have a franchise QB), but I think he's going to be a big time bust. I think there's way more Fields and Mariota in his game than Lamar.

And I think his issues right now with P2S ratio, pulling his eyes down and running so much as soon as he's pressured, and lack of tight window and anticipation throws are going to be magnified in the NFL because he's not going to have a top OL to protect him and he's not going to have a duo of elite WRs who are constantly getting several yards of separation to where he can just wait until they get open to throw them the ball and it will work out.

Which means he'll probably be pulling his eyes down and running even more than he does now, which means even more hits, which means even more chance of injury with his skinny frame and the cartoonish way he takes hits.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He did.

Keim has been asked to guess from different reporters.  When he guesses he explains exactly what his guess is based on -- what other coaches, personnel people think of the QBs.   But flat out says he doesn't have a specific source telling him from the team. 

I don't think its because his sources have dried up as some suggest, its that Peters is so tight lipped that people in that building don't know.  So your source would have to be I gather either Peters or Quinn.   I think it was Breer who said people in that building don't know.  It's that close lipped.  So on that front i agree anything is possible.  And Keim isn't saying anything different from that.

But...

the idea that its more likely between Daniels and McCarthy, that doesn't sound like anything different than someone in that building might have helped ala the Quinn rumor back then.  Is Keim 100% right all the time.  Nope.  But I'd guess he's batting give or take 800 with what he shares.  So I think at a minimum it might not be Maye.

Having said that every day, during the week leading to the draft tends to be full of rumors and stuff and these rumors can take a turn even with Keim.  Lets say that one dude or whomever who told him that is wrong and the next day he gets different info from others in the building. Normally I don't expect that to happen but the last week of the draft tends to be a zoo, this is the type of week where stuff like that indeed happens, so I expect shifts. 

So you think Keim's Fog is going to turn to Smoke this week, maybe they let a little smoke out in Ashburn?  Were into day 3/4 of the week ahead and only some new J.J. Fog and Daniels still has a mountain of Fog, while Maye is seeing a little clearing.  

Just now, skinsfan66 said:

So you think Keim's Fog is going to turn to Smoke this week, maybe they let a little smoke out in Ashburn?  Were into day 3/4 of the week ahead and only some new J.J. Fog and Daniels still has a mountain of Fog, while Maye is seeing a little clearing.  

I don't see any reason to believe that the Commanders FO is suddenly going to start telling people what they're going to do or leaking things. GMAP only said that they'd probably come to a decision and things would get more clear early this week. He didn't add "And we'll tell you guys about it" at the end.

We're not going to have a clue who we're going to pick until Goodell reads the card on Thursday.

• Like 1

I don't think it was any great or overly deep analysis but the general vibe I've gotten from Daniels vs. Maye is:

-if you think footwork/mechanics are reaaaaally hard to fix, you're gonna lean Daniels.  If you think it's relatively "easy" you'll lean Maye

- if you are worried about injuries or longevity you lean Maye.  If you don't you probably lean Daniels.

And generally speaking that seems to be where 80% of the analysis is if you sift through all the fancy words to the heart of the matter.

• Like 1

I'll be fine w/ Daniels, totally on board by this Friday if that's the case. He still scares me. 

BUT

If there's any shred if legitimacy to these recent revelations, then I don't see how he's an AP or DQ player at all. I believe he's totally out of the running and it's between Maye and JJ. And in that case I still think it will be Maye. Always go against the hype train, that's my motto. When we look back on this it will be the classic, "yep, we *way* overthought Drake Maye."

What was the quote from Quinn about QB? "A guy who has that absolute dawg in him," or some such? From where I'm standing that doesn't say Daniels at all. In the eye of the beholder, I suppose. 

In any case, I have prospect fatigue like the rest of us. I'm going to get on board no matter who it is. I'm also just looking forward to Friday because at this point I'm more interested in seeing the AP draft and team-building philosophy in action. I can't wait to see him work after this pick 2 business is finished. Very excited about days 2 and 3.

Edit: forgot to add–this draft and offseason is one for the history books, folks! Anyone else think we'll be reflecting back on this for a while to come? Fun stuff. 

Edited by sinews
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Panninho said:

The Ben Johnson situation is different. Because he decided not to interview for the job. I still think had he interviewed he would be our head coach right now. And we would not have signed all of the defensive free agents we did because of it. 

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The Ben Johnson situation is different. Because he decided not to interview for the job. I still think had he interviewed he would be our head coach right now. And we would not have signed all of the defensive free agents we did because of it. 

I mean they did interview him virtually. And we have heard later that he did not do so well, same with Seattle. Still, everyone was reporting that he is the front runner except for Keim who was a bit more careful. So I don't think that he was still the front runner at the point where he decided to not physically interview (if he even was it at any point).

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

If we do draft Daniels, I think trading away Howell was a mistake. 

I am inclined to agree with this. I thought the reason they were trading him was because of an uncomfortable situation with Maye. Trading him for peanuts was the wrong move if the pick is Daniels. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I am inclined to agree with this. I thought the reason they were trading him was because of an uncomfortable situation with Maye. Trading him for peanuts was the wrong move if the pick is Daniels. 

He wasnt traded for peanuts. The value based on his performance as a bottom 5 QB last year was quite good. We traded him because you dont want two developmental QBs at this stage of our team building cycle.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

If we do draft Daniels, I think trading away Howell was a mistake. 

If we draft Daniels and we put everything we can into his development as a player AND he busts, we wouldn't be thinking about Howell anyway. We would be picking high again. 

And whoever we pick we need to put 100% of the effort behind them. I learned that from the great @Going Commando

26 minutes ago, mistertim said:

being ok with Daniels

but I think he's going to be a big time bust. I think there's way more Fields and Mariota in his game than Lamar.

Me too… but I think he’s way more Marcus Mariota or worse then anything remotely Fields,  cause I think Fields under 2 HC’s and 3 OC’s in 3 years did a lot better under those circumstances and the lack of talent (accept last year when they got Moore) around him… 

As a fan I’ll support and root like no other if/when they draft Daniels and gladly eat crow if he pans out but I’m Rod Gardner 50/50 on Jayden Daniels selection at #2

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He wasnt traded for peanuts. The value based on his performance as a bottom 5 QB last year was quite good. We traded him because you dont want two developmental QBs at this stage of our team building cycle.

You do want a backup who has a chance to win you games though, especially with a QB who is a massive walking injury risk as your starter. 

Anyone that has more faith in Mariota winning games as a starter over Howell, with the same talent around them, has a blindfold on when watching games. 

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

If we draft Daniels and we put everything we can into his development as a player AND he busts, we wouldn't be thinking about Howell anyway. We would be picking high again. 

And whoever we pick we need to put 100% of the effort behind them. I learned that from the great @Going Commando

I think it may have been more from a "Daniels is probably going to get hurt and we'll need a decent backup" perspective. 

• Like 1