Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

13 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

He does look skinny now but so did Lamar and jacoby when they came in, jj McCarthy looks a little skinny to. Lamar and jacoby are jacked now. Even if it takes him a couple years of strength and nutrition at an nfl level, I'm sure eventually he'll gain weight. Especially after he signs that multimillion dollar contract and can afford steak and lobster every night

This conversation has gone around in circles for a month now already, so I’ll stop after this. 

But Lamar Jackson protects himself. He has a supernatural sixth sense for incoming defenders and insane spatial awareness. That is what Daniels does not have right now. That’s the “doesn’t protect himself” that everyone’s talking about. I refer you to my last post about how NFL teams need to decide for themselves how they will evaluate his ability to develop that skill (or not).  

18 minutes ago, klwilkins1977 said:

That's the best defense in the conference and one of the top in the nation.  There will be several 1st/2nd round picks taken from that D.

Js...

Which has what to do with his comment about the placement of the throw?

• Thumb up 2

2 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

I didn't say Lamar put on weight, I said he looks jacked. You can look at a picture of him now vs then and you can see the difference 

Then the comparison is meaningless because Daniels absolutely will have to put on weight in the NFL. I'd guess 15-20lbs at absolute minimum. Which will also absolutely affect his running ability.

3 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Being better than Rex Grossman misses the point. The point remains he is probably going to win his 2nd MVP, he is paid right near the top, and he can't get it done in big moments. Apparently that applies to big regular season games according to Ravens fans.  

I wonder why our front office wants to model our team after them because they are okay with not winning the big one? He can't get it done against Mahomes but then nobody else can either lately. Crushed all the other contenders they played.

1 minute ago, Conn said:

This conversation has gone around in circles for a month now already, so I’ll stop after this. 

But Lamar Jackson protects himself. He has a supernatural sixth sense for incoming defenders and insane spatial awareness. That is what Daniels does not have right now. That’s the “doesn’t protect himself” that everyone’s talking about. I refer you to my last post about how NFL teams need to decide for themselves how they will evaluate his ability to develop that skill (or not).  

Just because he has taken a few really big shots doesn't mean that's something that will continue or that it happens consistently and often. The entire second half of this last you could tell he was trying to protect himself and didn't take the big hits anymore.

I can see why some worry because some of the hits looked like he was playing nfl blitz on ps2, but it's not like it was happeevery every game.

He may be more susceptible to injury than the other guys but even pure pocket passers get injured.

Look at all the injuries that happened this year, more young backups than anytime in history. Burrows been injured bad twice and he's a pocket passer.

What these injuries really show you is that you really need a quality back up, quite possibly 2 veterans that can actually come in in run the offense

57 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I notice you didn't actually answer my question. You don't think putting up some pretty big numbers should matter at all for a QB when it comes to MVP consideration?

Do numbers mean everything, look at Kirk will he ever win MVP, no because he is not good enough, right? Did Brady always put up the best numbers? Your answer is no and numbers are only part of it. If he wins his nos were good enough. That's how I see it.

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

If Xavier Legette is listed everywhere as 6'3" and when measured at the Senior Bowl is actually only 6'1".....does anyone else think Caleb Williams might measure at 5'10 or 5'11?

I am fearful of every draft prospects combine measurements. College is so bad at exaggerating guys heights and weights.

Caleb might end up being  Kyler Murray sized.

Maye and JD might not be 6'4.

It keeps me up at night.

• Haha 1

Just now, FootballZombie said:

I am fearful of every draft prospects combine measurements. College is so bad at exaggerating guys heights and weights.

Caleb might end up being  Kyler Murray sized.

Maye and JD might not be 6'4.

It keeps me up at night.

Since CJ measured out at genuinely 6'3", I am not worried about Daniels height (CJ is one of his best friends so there are a ton of pics of them together) His weight is going to be what everyone will be looking at...

34 minutes ago, klwilkins1977 said:

That's the best defense in the conference and one of the top in the nation.  There will be several 1st/2nd round picks taken from that D.

Js...

He had all day in a clean pocket and threw a duck. And he will be facing players with that talent level every Sunday going forward. Well unless he is facing Forbes. 

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Then the comparison is meaningless because Daniels absolutely will have to put on weight in the NFL. I'd guess 15-20lbs at absolute minimum. Which will also absolutely affect his running ability.

But if they draft Daniels Forbes would have somebody to work out with. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Just because he has taken a few really big shots doesn't mean that's something that will continue or that it happens consistently and often. The entire second half of this last you could tell he was trying to protect himself and didn't take the big hits anymore.

I can see why some worry because some of the hits looked like he was playing nfl blitz on ps2, but it's not like it was happeevery every game.

He may be more susceptible to injury than the other guys but even pure pocket passers get injured.

Look at all the injuries that happened this year, more young backups than anytime in history. Burrows been injured bad twice and he's a pocket passer.

What these injuries really show you is that you really need a quality back up, quite possibly 2 veterans that can actually come in in run the offense

It’s not really about being a QB who can run or being a pocket QB, Burrow is a great example of a guy who doesn’t protect himself and consistently takes cartoonish hits. Sometimes these running QB’s are actually safer on the run than in the pocket. It’s about knowing how to work contact angles, how to take a hit, how to hit the ground. The Dolphins had to have Tua take martial arts classes to learn to use his momentum to roll when he hits the ground instead of bashing his head off the turf like a toddler over and over. 

Maybe you’re right and NFL teams will be satisfied that he’s improved in that regard. Maybe he has. We can only wait and see. 

4 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

That is comforting.

Also Bryce Young looks adorable w/ his little backpack hanging out with the big kids.

Its still crazy that Carolina traded up for Bryce. It's one thing if he falls into your lap but to trade away so much for an abnormally short QB is insane. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I wonder if we can use Sam's stated height and his combine results to gauge how realistic the numbers that NC puts up there are. IIRC Sam was listed at 6'1 on their website and he measured in at 72.63 inches, which is about a half an inch shorter. Maye is listed as 6'4 so perhaps he'll come in at closer to 6'3 1/2. 

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I wonder if we can use Sam's stated height and his combine results to gauge how realistic the numbers that NC puts up there are. IIRC Sam was listed at 6'1 on their website and he measured in at 72.63 inches, which is about a half an inch shorter. Maye is listed as 6'4 so perhaps he'll come in at closer to 6'3 1/2. 

Sam has that beautiful head of hair that gave him an extra inch or 2

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Its still crazy that Carolina traded up for Bryce. It's one thing if he falls into your lap but to trade away so much for an abnormally short QB is insane. 

That’s Tepper for you. The football people in the building wanted to make Stroud the #1 pick. The meddling owner wanted Young.

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Do we have a picture of them standing next to each other on flat ground? lol

19 minutes ago, Conn said:

That’s Tepper for you. The football people in the building wanted to make Stroud the #1 pick. The meddling owner wanted Young.

Even if you wanted Young, what in the world would make them think it would be smart to trade away his #1 receiver after they had already traded away CMC?

It's just nuts. You're already picking a very short QB (who typically are not successful in the NFL) he had everything set up perfectly with him at Alabama on both offense and defense to help him succeed, so you draft him, but then you put no pieces around him? 

I don't like the offensive system Alabama runs anyway but I have yet to see a QB come from the Saban system that doesn't need everything around them to be perfect to succeed (Tua, Mac, Bryce, McCarron)

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1

Mahommes is too damn good to expect to draft "a Mahommes"  I don't even think the Chiefs knew when they drafted Mahommes that he'd be Mahommes like this.....you can try to look for similar qualities and attributes, especially how they might fit the offense you plan to run, but I wouldn't approach the draft assuming any QB you select is going to turn into a QB of that level.  The best approach is (if they even plan on taking a QB) is do your due dilligence to where you draft who you think the best player is but also if you don't feel any available options justify being taken at #2 then don't feel pressured by the moment and go a different direction and take a player you think will be elite or make a trade and get a bounty.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Mahommes is too damn good to expect to draft "a Mahommes"  I don't even think the Chiefs knew when they drafted Mahommes that he'd be Mahommes like this.....you can try to look for similar qualities and attributes, especially how they might fit the offense you plan to run, but I wouldn't approach the draft assuming any QB you select is going to turn into a QB of that level.  The best approach is (if they even plan on taking a QB) is do your due dilligence to where you draft who you think the best player is but also if you don't feel any available options justify being taken at #2 then don't feel pressured by the moment and go a different direction and take a player you think will be elite or make a trade and get a bounty.

Lol, don't talk trading back in this thread or people will lose their minds. 😂